PDA

View Full Version : Haley vs. Englund

rhett
05-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Now that the Platinum Dunes A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET remake has been out for a couple weeks now, how did Jackie Earle Haley fill the shoes of Robert Englund? Razor sharp delivery or face melting phoniness? You be the judge.

Hellbilly
05-15-2010, 09:04 AM
I'll be the judge once this hits Blu-ray. I have no desire to watch this on the big screen.

Paff
05-15-2010, 09:16 AM
I won't even go that far. Hate remakes and "re-imagings"

But I do like Rhett's option for "molested his character from The Bad News Bears". Wonder what he would have done with the kid from Day of the Locust.

Copyboy
05-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Wonder what he would have done with the kid from Day of the Locust.

Molested him and then stomped on him OR stomped on him and THEN molested him.

Either way, it would be pretty hilarious. That was one horrible little fuck.

Shlockjock81
05-15-2010, 10:24 AM
"Jeepers Creepers... where'd you get those peepers..."

I thought Haley made the best of what he had to work with... which unfortunately wasn't much. Haley is a great actor, but Englund IS Krueger.

Katatonia
05-15-2010, 02:51 PM
I caught this in theater last night. The movie itself actually wasn't all that bad for a remake in its structure, but I found Freddy's "re-image" to be, well... "face melting phoniness"

Haley is certainly a good actor and worked with what he had, but there was something lacking there. I didn't care for the make-up design or the voice effect in the remake. Both seemed woefully fake and non-threatening.

dave13
05-15-2010, 05:16 PM
i thought he filled the role, but was not memorable at all...which means he will never ever compare to robert englund

_pi_
05-15-2010, 09:10 PM
I think the only answer to this question is "Will never ever compare to Englund" - quite simply because Englund made the character what it is today.

I doubt that the new remake will spawn six or seven sequels, and since it's a godawful movie, it'll probably be forgotten in a few years anyway.

Plus, Haley wasn't really good in that role.

The Chaostar
05-15-2010, 09:27 PM
No understanding of the character. But that is also true for the director/producers/screenwritters as well.

Franco
05-15-2010, 11:26 PM
Will never even compare. Englund's Freddy is the greatest ever! He's funny as hell and had certain grace for his character. The new Freddy just can't be like that even if pushed to do so.

Clayton
05-15-2010, 11:40 PM
Haley's portrayal of Krueger was almost as bland and unimaginative as the backstory that played out.

Spit
05-16-2010, 02:55 AM
Haven't seen the remake and have no interest in doing so. I might have actually shelled out the cash to catch it in theaters if Englund was in it. I'll be damn surprised if anyone votes for "Was better than Englund, scary and developed!".

dickieduvet
05-16-2010, 03:38 AM
The shoes were far too big to fill, Englund is Freddy, Hands down.

SaxCatz
05-16-2010, 07:29 PM
I felt that he was an acceptable substitute for Robert Englund.
I still feel that, since they insisted on replacing Robert Englund, Haley was the best possible choice. That being said, I don't feel that Haley, as great an actor as he is, can ever compare to Robert Englund in the role of Freddy. Englund IS Freddy.

othervoice1
05-17-2010, 03:58 AM
He had his moments and was decent- but Englund was much better- but Haley didnt have much of a chance with an inferior makeup job and terrible writing