PDA

View Full Version : How do you rate THE WITCHES?

carl.kolchak
12-17-2001, 09:36 AM
I still haven't seen this one even though the dvd has been out for some time, and I never see it mentioned. I get the impression it's kind of a middle of the pack Hammer, how do those who picked up the dvd rate it?

mutleyhyde
12-18-2001, 02:08 AM
Well Carl, hmmm, it's hard to say. It certainly has a charm about it, but it took me a second view to be taken by it. The Witches is a very subtle little film, and not very much action happens until the end. There are good moments of wickedness up to that point, but it really just tries to be a pot-boiler, and I think it succeeds rather well in that. I really hate comparing movies, but on this I feel pretty good saying that if you liked the themes of The Wickerman, you'll more than likely enjoy The Witches. I say check it out. :)

Johnny Alucard
12-18-2001, 05:39 PM
Its definately worth watching and owning if you are a Hammer fan. It is a medium Hammer film(not the best, not the worst).
I think it is somewhat of a cross or mix of Hammers Psychological thrillers series( Taste of Fear, Maniac, Nightmare, etc.) and their horror movies. Its in color but it is set in modern day. It is a bit slow in the first half but pays off in the second half. I say watch it but don't expect the Gothic Hammer Horror style. The Wicker Man is a fair comparison.

carl.kolchak
12-21-2001, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the info guys, I am definitely going to pick this up but I might hold out for a few more months, hopefully this one and The Abominable Snowman will hit the $2.99 Suncoast bins. :)

Paff
09-02-2005, 06:40 PM
Caught up with this one last weekend. Yeah, I was totally thinking "Wicker Man" the whole time.

I liked it, except maybe the detour midway through to the retirement home. It totally seemed like padding, adding that "lost memory" sideplot. But she regains her memory completely, and the main plot is then rejoined, already in progress.

I always like the way these old movies dance around the obvious (pun intended). In this one, the ridiculous dancing is clearly meant to indicate an orgy, but you just couldn't show stuff like that back then. Sometimes, these euphemistic scenes result in something much more clever than just showing the actual events.

Not the best from Hammer, but pretty good for a Hammer film set in modern times (something they rarely had any success with)

maybrick
09-02-2005, 07:19 PM
THE WITCHES is underrated. I was pleasantly surprised when i watched it for the first time. I give it an A-.

dwatts
09-02-2005, 07:26 PM
Yeah, I think it's pretty terrific - other than that dance, which always ends up making me laugh, leaving the whole thing off on the wrong note. Everything to get there is really fun though. I watch this every now and again.

Jimbo
09-02-2005, 07:31 PM
Yeah, I think it's pretty terrific - other than that dance, which always ends up making me laugh, leaving the whole thing off on the wrong note. Everything to get there is really fun though. I watch this every now and again.
I could not agree more.I just rewatched this the other night.It's a good film but when the dancing kicks in :lol: .

Spacevis
09-02-2005, 09:57 PM
Nobody's talking about the Roald Dahl adaptation bij Nicholas Roeg? :cry: