PDA

View Full Version : Best Fulci Zombie Movie?

rhett
05-25-2010, 06:09 PM
The late great Lucio Fulci had a seasoned career in all genres, but among all his horror films, it's the zombie films that get the most love today. Right now it's CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD getting the most love with Blu-ray releases from both Blue Underground and Arrow, but there are plenty of others worthy of accolades. Which of his handful of undead pictures is your favorite?

MorallySound
05-25-2010, 06:13 PM
City of the Living Dead.

Body Boy
05-25-2010, 06:27 PM
City of the Living Dead. It's excellent!

Zombie is a nice second, with Cemetery and Beyond following.

Zombi 3 is a piece of shit. Haha

Iron Jaiden
05-25-2010, 07:05 PM
City of the Living Dead for sure.
Can Zombi 3 even be considered a Fulci flick?

evildeadfan123
05-25-2010, 07:07 PM
I love Zombie, City of The Living Dead, and The Beyond, I think they are all # 1, but I chose The Beyond, just a little above the other 2, but just a little. It was almost to hard to decide between the three of them.

SaxCatz
05-25-2010, 07:09 PM
@Rhett-
Did you include Zombi 3 on here for completist sake or did you include it just for laughs?
Regardless, as expected, my vote is for The Beyond.

fceurich39
05-25-2010, 07:28 PM
i picked zombie easily that and the beyond are the 2 i really like the house by the cemetary and city of the living dead are both good as well but not my favorites and zombi 3 is a joke

i sure hope zombie gets a blu-ray release

maybrick
05-25-2010, 07:45 PM
1) City of the Living Dead
2) The Beyond
3) Zombie
4) House By The Cemetery

House would've ranked higher than Zombie had Bob only bit the dust sometime during the first reel. Zombie 3 didn't feel like a Fulci movie to me at all.

f.ramses
05-25-2010, 08:44 PM
After some deliberation I went with Zombie. There's a lot to like about The Beyond and City of the Living Dead but at the end of the day Zombie just stands out more to me.

Marshall Crist
05-25-2010, 09:06 PM
1) HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY--just a BEAUTIFUL film IMO, every frame a work of art, with a tremendous musical score.

2) THE BEYOND

3) CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD

4) Don't really care too much for the others.

Crystal Plumage
05-25-2010, 09:10 PM
HBTC will allways be a favorite. IIRC it was the first Fulci I ever saw and I was stunned by the beauty of it :D

SaxCatz
05-25-2010, 09:19 PM
1) HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY--just a BEAUTIFUL film IMO, every frame a work of art, with a tremendous musical score.

And don't forget the most thoroughly annoying child in the history of cinema.

Crystal Plumage
05-25-2010, 09:27 PM
And don't forget the most thoroughly annoying child in the history of cinema.
Ofcourse it's not the kid perse who's annoying, it's the dubbing people find annoying.
I always wondered how the movie would play in Italian, but the NoShame release didn't have English subs.

SaxCatz
05-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Ofcourse it's not the kid perse who's annoying, it's the dubbing people find annoying.
I always wondered how the movie would play in Italian, but the NoShame release didn't have English subs.

I know...
I usually don't mind the dubs in these films since even the original Italian audio was dubbed in after the fact- but "Bob" makes it unbearable.
If I had a version of this film with an Italian language option and English subs, I would watch it that way. The only other film I currently do that with is Deep Red since I finds the subs less distracting than the back and forth between English & Italian.

satans-sadists
05-25-2010, 11:05 PM
First three on the list are all great choices, but City of the Living Dead stands out as the best in my opinion. Gloomy atmosphere all around, cool soundtrack, and Christopher George.

soxfan666
05-26-2010, 12:17 AM
Zombie was the easy choice for me. I can watch that one over and over, it is one of my favorite horror movie scores also.

CrazyFatEthel
05-26-2010, 12:37 AM
Zombie for me!

Mutilated Prey
05-26-2010, 01:32 AM
It's The Beyond for me by a hair. Zombie, House by the Cemetery and City of the Living Dead are not far behind at all. Zombie 3, meh - the flying head out the refrigerator kinda killed it for me :)

msw7
05-26-2010, 02:58 AM
Zombie for me.

MadmanMarz
05-26-2010, 05:34 AM
Zombie for sure. Still one of my favorites.

spawningblue
05-26-2010, 05:36 AM
City of the Living Dead for me, with Zombi and The Beyond close behind.

City just oozes with atmosphere, and has some great gory deaths. Zombi and The Beyond are really good as well, with great sets and gore, but they seem to lack that creepy atmosphere that is present in City.

House By the Cemetery is decent, but I don't think it's as good as the other three. Bob is awesome though!

As for Zombie 3, I haven't watched it yet, even though I have owned it for a few years now. Just haven't been in the mood to watch it considering its terrible reputation.

KamuiX
05-26-2010, 09:25 AM
Zombi 3, bitches...one of the greatest bad films of all time, I get way more mileage out of it than any of the other films on the list :D

Crystal Plumage
05-26-2010, 10:26 PM
Haven't seen Zombie 3. But I think I've seen the trailer for it in one of those Fulci trailer reels. I've been meaning to pick up that SS Zombie Box.

shithead
05-27-2010, 12:30 AM
The Beyond is Fulci's best movie period.

othervoice1
05-27-2010, 04:57 AM
I should be ashamed of myself- I actually have not seen any of these

othervoice1
05-27-2010, 05:11 AM
Okay to make amends I have ordered The Beyond from Deep Discount today- I shall soon watch it.....

SaxCatz
05-27-2010, 05:39 AM
Okay to make amends I have ordered The Beyond from Deep Discount today- I shall soon watch it.....

Good choice!

Erick H.
05-27-2010, 05:57 AM
For straight up zombie nastiness ZOMBI 2 is hard to beat but I find I enjoy the surrealism of THE BEYOND more.

Harry Warden
05-28-2010, 01:13 AM
Had to go with City of the Living Dead, followed closely by Zombie.

FilmFiend
05-28-2010, 02:30 AM
I have to go with Zombie. I first saw it at the drive-in with Blood Beach as the 2nd feature.

Dobby
05-28-2010, 12:20 PM
City of the Living Dead I must have watch this film hundreds of times.

pdw
05-28-2010, 09:21 PM
City Of The Living Dead for me, followed very closely by Zombi
Zombi is the first I saw, but City just oozes atmosphere.

Darga
05-28-2010, 09:51 PM
I've never really cared for City of the Living Dead. I think I just never really got over the initial disappointment since I was expecting to see more traditional zombie gutmunching action a la Zombie.

Kim Bruun
05-29-2010, 09:09 PM
I went with Zombie - it has some brilliant shots, some gruesome gore, and Fulci doesn't overreach himself with the characters or the story. It's been too long since I've seen City of the Living Dead. As for The Beyond, every time I see it, I dislike it more - it simply doesn't hang together well. It does have a couple of brilliant scenes, and the score is epic, but overall it's a disjoined mess that serves as a showcase for some not very convincing effects.

And I realise that Fulci was going for a nightmarish quality, and in certain scenes, he succeeds. But you can't just throw out all logic under the banner of nightmarish unreality. Would non-staff individuals really have access to "autopsy theatres"? And if this was the case, would hospitals have big jars of highly corrosive acid standing about where they could easily result in injury? Why doesn't the movie bother to show any reaction from Liza regarding the fatal accident and discovery of the ancient corpse at her hotel?

Regarding the effects, Zombie has the better eye trauma scene (why does Joe the plumber's eyelid seem glued to his eyeball when it is gouged out?). Fulci simply dwells too lovingly on effects that just look comical in The Beyond (like Al Cliver's wooden head struck by glas shards or the screamingly fake spiders) - which is a shame, for there are a handful of scenes that are really stand-out.

joltaddict
06-01-2010, 05:41 AM
When Im in the mood for Fulchi I always put in The Beyond. After reading the blueray review I pulled out my old AB City and damn... WAY better than I remember. Now I think its better than The Beyond. I think tomorrow night I might have to bust out Zombie.

maskull
06-01-2010, 11:40 PM
Went with Zombie. Actually I think it's one of the best zombie movies of all time. Love, love , love the zombie makeup in this one.

I really like City and Cemetery and Z3 is fun in a bad kind of way. The Beyond was a big disappointment to me when I finally watched it, though I should give it another chance now that my expectations have been lowered.