PDA

View Full Version : Laserdisc Player Techincal Question

Iron Jaiden
05-31-2010, 09:29 PM
So I know some of you guys know a lot about laserdisc players. I've got an issue with mine.
It's Pioneer CLD-D502. Everything works great except for "auto-flip". When it gets to the end of Side A and tries to bring the laser to the top side of the disc it freezes. You can hear a faint motor type sound which says to me it's trying to get the laser around the track to the top but it's not able to.
Now once this thing freezes it's done until you actually kill the power to it and turn it back on.
So what I would like to do is either a) fix the issue so the auto-flip function works again or b) just disable auto-flip completely and I'll just flip my discs manually when Side A is finished playing.
I'd send it in to laserdiscservice in WA to get it fixed but honestly the 502 is just not a player worth enough money to go through all of that. However I'd love to avoid getting a new player right now as the PQ and whatnot are still great.

Anyways, thanks for any help you guys. A google search only lead me to a youtube video telling you how to remove the transit screw. Needless to say this is not the problem.

SaxCatz
05-31-2010, 11:11 PM
Open up the case and lube the rails that the pickup slides on with a white silicon grease.
Believe it or not, this works most of the time. Worked for mine with the same problem returning from side B.

Iron Jaiden
05-31-2010, 11:13 PM
Ok awesome I'll give that a shot tonight.
Thanks for the tip.

SaxCatz
06-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Ok awesome I'll give that a shot tonight.
Thanks for the tip.

You're welcome. Let me know how it goes.

Iron Jaiden
06-01-2010, 03:13 PM
You're welcome. Let me know how it goes.

I'll be damned but I think that did the trick! :banana:
Had one "stall" last night when I tried to manually go from Side B to Side B again but otherwise the laser is actually able to go from A to B and B to A.
Very cool, thanks!

(even if it hadn't worked the fun my 3 year old and I had tinkering with the open LD player and his amazement watching how the internals of the thing worked was well worth it :) )