PDA

View Full Version : Scheolen STEPFATHER Blu-ray Contest

rhett
06-01-2010, 11:46 PM
Shout! Factory's HD upgrade to last year's DVD of 1987's cult classic, THE STEPFATHER hits blu-ray on June 15th. We've got three copies to giveaway, and since we already did a contest about domestic horror films, how about one devoted to our favorite 80s scream queen, Jill Schoelen? She did 7 horror...[/b]
http://www.horrordigital.com/reviews/contests/blucon.jpg

Shout! Factory (http://www.shoutfactory.com)'s HD upgrade to last year's DVD of 1987's cult classic, THE STEPFATHER (http://horrordigital.com/viewarticle.php?articleid=775) hits blu-ray on June 15th. We've got three copies to giveaway, and since we already did a contest about domestic horror films, how about one devoted to our favorite 80s scream queen, Jill Schoelen? She did 7 horror films in 8 years, starting in 1985 with Wes Craven's Made-For-TV CHILLER, going all the way to 1993's TV sequel, WHEN A STRANGER CALLS BACK. Of course she made more famous interludes in between, be it THE STEPFATHER, THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA or POPCORN (http://horrordigital.com/viewarticle.php?articleid=20). She even had Brad Pitt cry to her on the phone in CUTTING CLASS (http://horrordigital.com/viewarticle.php?articleid=658). She was everything to everyone in the eighties!

So, in order to qualify for a random draw to win 1 of 3 copies of THE STEPFATHER (1987) Blu-ray, post a single post in this thread detailing your favorite Jill Schoelen horror film, and why. If you want to pimp out her non-horror stuff like the awesome HOT MOVES, we'll allow it too, what the hell. Contest is open all week and will end midnight Sunday, June 6th. The winner will be announced the following day, and discs will be shipped out that week to ensure you get them right around release date.

http://horrordigital.com/vb3forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5508&stc=1&d=1275428737

So without further adieu, let's bask in the raspy-voiced wonders of the Schoelen...which of her movies or performances is your favorite?

ReelFear
06-01-2010, 11:56 PM
I have to go with POPCORN.
I think Jill hit her peak in the early 90's. She looks great and I love her voice!
When A Stranger Calls Back and The Stepfather are essential too.

Cujo108
06-01-2010, 11:56 PM
My pick is Curse II: The Bite. You would think a film about a guy's hand turning into a snake would be cheesy, but it's quite the opposite. The love story that makes up the film's core actually works, giving the ending added punch. Of course, there's also the nice locations and the spectacular special effects work. Overall, just a very satisfying horror flick.

Cool contest. Jill is my favorite scream queen.

fceurich39
06-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Had to be The Stepfather she was awesome in it she has an amazing look and talent and she was very believable in being terrified of her stepfather in that movie and also she holds her own in all the films she has done.

satans-sadists
06-02-2010, 12:30 AM
I like Jill the most in The Stepfather. She plays a three dimensional character here that you really care about. Terry O'Quinn's performance wouldn't be nearly as effective without her in the film.

mrcafejava
06-02-2010, 12:43 AM
I'm gonna join all the cool kids and say The Stepfather, looking at her filmography that was my favorite film she's done, and my favorite roll she's played. Her character was more likable, more enjoyable, than all the other rolls I've seen her in

Zombie Dude
06-02-2010, 12:56 AM
I'm going to go with Cutting Class as it's the only film of hers I know I've seen.

Katatonia
06-02-2010, 01:02 AM
I love Jill! It definitely has to be The Stepfather as my favorite movie she appeared in. She was born for that role and it added a lot to the film working as well as it did.

fattyjoe37
06-02-2010, 01:10 AM
My favorite Jill film and performance is in The Stepfather. One thing the remake did well was show how much that movie needs the Stephanie character. The movie was a mess without her!

Caspar2112
06-02-2010, 01:35 AM
The STEPFATHER is a great performance and a great movie for Jill Schoelen and all involved. This film is a must have.

gyhorrorfan07
06-02-2010, 01:59 AM
:p

gyhorrorfan07
06-02-2010, 02:01 AM
I've seen 5 out of 7 of Jill's horror films. I enjoyed them, but I'm gonna have to roll with The Stepfather.

She's a good actress and gave a great performance in the film, and The Stepfather would look nice in my Blu-Ray collection, so those are my reasons.

othervoice1
06-02-2010, 03:00 AM
I have to go with The Stepfather although I liked her in Popcorn as well. I saw on IMDB that she was actually engaged to Brad Pitt for 3 months before she broke it off.

dayglo
06-02-2010, 03:05 AM
It's The Stepfather for me, I was 13 or so when I saw it (also the first movie I saw with her in it) and when first appeared on screen I was hoping she'd go nude. My really liking the movie was a bonus too. :p

Shannafey
06-02-2010, 03:15 AM
Popcorn is just a damn fun film!

Suicide
06-02-2010, 03:59 AM
I'll say Popcorn, it's so ridiculous it's hard for me not to enjoy it.

MadmanMarz
06-02-2010, 04:29 AM
Easily The Stepfather.

dave13
06-02-2010, 04:44 AM
its been ages since ive seen popcorn, and i don't really remember it. so i'll go with the stepfather, which is a truly great film. and damn is she cute.

old-boo-radley
06-02-2010, 04:58 AM
Hot Moves because there's a chick's ass on the cover. Yeahhhh, boy.

fart_mike
06-02-2010, 05:42 AM
easily Popcorn for me..."will these films be as shocking as Possessor, Sarah?"...then she starts running around, screeching and squealing about how she could possibly be lanyard gates' daughter, oh her voice, love it!

Sinister Ash
06-02-2010, 09:28 AM
Jill's performance in Stepfather was my favorite. Not only was she a cutie, but she played a vulnerable character I cared about.

Mattapooh
06-02-2010, 12:08 PM
I'm definitely on board for Hot Moves, I just got an original poster from ebay to hang up in my home office!

ekent
06-02-2010, 01:45 PM
In a choose or die situation, I'd have to pick Cutting Class for her revealing bathtub scene that made the movie memorable.

marcx
06-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Hate to sound like a broken record but easily Stepfather for me too! Great film! Who knew we'd see Terry O'quinn resurface on a hit TV show????

Body Boy
06-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Phantom of the Opera '89 for me. It isn't the greatest adaptation, but it was quick and gory. Also, a lot less dull than Cutting Class and Popcorn imo.

17thJuggalo
06-02-2010, 06:21 PM
I'm going with Popcorn as well. I had fond memories of it as a kid and I've been waiting awhile for decent release of it. Maybe we'll see it on Blu-ray?

crikan
06-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Hot Moves, because I haven't seen her in anything else. Whether or not I'm lucky enough to win I do plan on seeing Shout Factory's release of The Stepfather.

spawningblue
06-02-2010, 08:10 PM
I am going to have to go with DC Cab as that is the only movie I have seen her in and it was fun enough. Damn, she has done a lot of movies that I really want to see though, Stepfather, Hot Movies, Popcorn, ect. And I have Phantom of the Opera and When a Stranger Calls Back, just haven't got around to watching them yet. Guess I'll have to give them a spin now. Hopefully I win this as I really want to see Stepfather!

Darga
06-03-2010, 12:36 AM
The Stepfather is the easy choice for me since her and Terry O'Quinn's performances are excellent. Still haven't watched Popcorn though. Might have to stream it from Netflix tonight before I forget.

st3b
06-03-2010, 01:05 AM
I will go with The Stepfather although I liked her in Popcorn too.

streetlight
06-03-2010, 02:36 AM
I've seen most of her horror titles but I'd have to go with Thunder Alley from 1985. To me, it is a fun, interesting movie about a rock band from the midwest struggling for success. The music is amazing also.

Erick H.
06-03-2010, 06:43 AM
My favorite of her films is THE STEPFATHER.It was a great little sleeper that has aged well and Jill's work in it is quite good.She not only manages to not be upstaged by the terrific work by Terry O'Quinn,she also avoids being cutesy or shrill,traps that too many young actresses fall into in this sort of role.Nice job,great film !

Iron Jaiden
06-03-2010, 07:53 AM
I'm going with Popcorn because I saw that one a hundred times when it came out. No idea why but I really like that movie.

Here's a bit of trivia on that. The girl who played the sister in "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" was supposed to play Maggie in Popcorn but was replaced by Jill a couple weeks into filming.

Hellbilly
06-03-2010, 08:24 AM
The Stepfather. A big fave of mine back in the day and also a hot rental! They only had two copies at the video rental place and I remember both were on reserve for 7, 8 days. Ahhh childhood memories. My other favorite Jill flicks would be The Phantom of the Opera followed by Curse II.

rxfiend
06-03-2010, 09:35 AM
Popcorn, as that's the only movie I have seen out of the bunch. Yeah, I still need to see the original Stepfather!

shithead
06-03-2010, 10:43 AM
The Stepfather of course. I enjoyed Scheolen's hiney and boobie shots....oh yeah, decent actress as well.

anthony1138
06-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Popcorn because it's so damn fun and cheesy.

bigdaddyhorse
06-03-2010, 04:59 PM
Popcorn was a blast, but Cutting Class was that special movie on TV way back, and a few years back that scary Brad Pitt movie, aka cheesefest 2006.
Cutting Class wins by a nose, Popcorn and Stepfather close behind.

Richard Anthony
06-03-2010, 05:34 PM
I Love Jill Scheolen!! She is So Cute and One of the Hottest Scream Queens of All Time!! I have so many of her Movies in my Collection, it's a tough call to pick only One Favorite! I would have to say it's a Tie between The Stepfather and The Phantom Of The Opera. She was Wonderful in both Movies, and she gave Two Great Performances!! In The Stepfather, she was the Cute and Vulnerable Heroine and she brought alot to the Movie. In The Phantom Of The Opera, she really Wowed me with her Performance as Christine and she and Robert Englund worked so well Together!! I Love, Love Jill, She is One Of My Favorites of All Time!!

CPT HOOK
06-03-2010, 10:01 PM
The Stepfather is probably her best, but I've always had a soft spot for Phantom Of The Opera. When I was a kid, I was enthralled with that VHS cover. My older brother had told me that the phantom saws out his own skull plate and wears it as a mask, and the thought of this terrified me. Of course, when I got a little older I eventually rented the movie and found out that none of this was true. But I still loved the movie. Just another fond memory from the days of VHS horror.

I also remember being freaked out by the opening of When A Stranger Calls Back. When that guy came around the corner, arms outstretched... :eek:

bwana the clown
06-04-2010, 01:44 AM
Maybe I need to see Popcorn again as I've totally forgotten it since viewing on its initial release (I vaguely recall not liking it). Gotta admit, I'm not really familiar with this Schoelen dame, so my vote has to go to The Stepfather, which I do recall was a great movie (also haven't seen that since it first came out!)

Mitbox
06-04-2010, 03:21 AM
I've seen The Stepfather, Cutting Class and When a Stranger Calls Back, and I definitely go with The Stepfather, great horror film, well acted and Jill's superb in it. That blu looks sexy, me wants please.

MaxRenn
06-04-2010, 04:23 AM
The Stepfather for the script which makes her character real, sympathetic and ultimately tough.

indiephantom
06-04-2010, 05:17 AM
Huge fan of Jill Schoelen. I must say I've always found her extremely hot...and I love her voice. The Stepfather is her best. It's just a great movie, and I hope that was really her in the shower. That's another reason I love it. Also major props to When a Stranger Calls Back, she is great in the opening scene. Also love Hot Moves and Cutting Class. Can't believe she dated Brad Pitts...won't hold it against her.

Bristlebane
06-04-2010, 08:19 AM
I have to go with Popcorn. The whole theater setting was awesome.

SickNick89
06-04-2010, 04:13 PM
I'll go with Phantom of the Opera. I think it's an underrated film and Jill made a great Christine.

Matt89
06-04-2010, 06:52 PM
Jill Schoelen was the best in Hot Moves. Why? HOTTIEEEE. :D

~Matt

baggio
06-04-2010, 08:08 PM
My choice would be the movie Popcorn. Always dug this slightly underrated film.

Mutilated Prey
06-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Stepfather wins for me. I thought she did an excellent job in her role. She plays a good suspicious bratty teenager. And she's hot :D

Horrorphilly
06-06-2010, 06:55 AM
Ive only saw The Stepfather so thats my vote for this contest.

sean

Wez4555
06-06-2010, 09:43 PM
id have to go with stepfather. Its the first movie that i really watched with her in many moons ago and fell in love ever since. NUFF SAID!

Spit
06-07-2010, 01:57 AM
I know Scheolen has done some way better movies,i.e. stepfather and popcorn, but Babes In Toyland has a special place in my heart. Its just one of those movies I've seen a million times when I was a kid, because I had an older cousin that loved it.

Tchotchke
06-07-2010, 02:05 AM
The Stepfather - great performance from Jill and Terry O'Quinn too - you can't go wrong!

CrazyFatEthel
06-07-2010, 09:17 PM
The Stepfather by far

rhett
06-07-2010, 10:50 PM
The contest is closed, thanks for throwing out all the love to the indelible Jill Schoelen. For these three lucky winners, they're going to get to watch her and the great THE STEPFATHER in HD for the first time:

fceurich39
fattyjoe37
dave13

Congrats guys, you've won. Send me a PM with your name and address and I'll send these off to you right away.

Thanks to everyone who entered and stay tuned for the next contest and a review of the DVD.

gyhorrorfan07
06-07-2010, 11:17 PM
Congratulations to the winners. Bring on the next contest!

othervoice1
06-08-2010, 03:26 AM
Congrats winners! Enjoy this great movie in Hi-Def!

Hellbilly
06-08-2010, 06:55 AM
Congrats Winners!

indiephantom
06-08-2010, 01:36 PM
congratulations!! I'll be picking this up anyway. Definitely want to see Jill's shower in HD!

17thJuggalo
06-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Congrats winners!

dave13
06-09-2010, 12:33 AM
Awesome! Thanks a lot Rhett!
Congrats to the other winners. Can't wait to check it out in HD!

fceurich39
06-09-2010, 12:55 AM
thanks RHETT!!! i sent u a PM. this is awesome one of my favorite movies and now i get to see it in HD

fattyjoe37
06-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Thanks!

Angelman
06-10-2010, 07:07 AM
Ah, sad I missed this contest!

Zack
06-11-2010, 03:55 AM
I've gotta go with Popcorn on this one. Watched my VHS copy of that one quite a few times.

Zack
06-11-2010, 03:57 AM
Damn. Just saw that I missed it.

rblum199
06-13-2010, 04:11 AM
The only thing I've seen her in so far is the 1989 Phantom of the Opera (no, I haven't been able to see the Stepfather yet - blasphemy I know, and I'm hoping this contest will change that), and I have to say, despite the strangeness of the movie (well it is a slasher version of Phantom of the Opera, after all), she really helped to bring it to a level of believability that I don't think it would have otherwise. That, plus there was some sense of chemistry between her and the Phantom hard to do when the bad guy is that freaking ugly.

jacksommersby
06-18-2010, 03:44 AM
Must go with CUTTING CLASS. It's really rare when a film succeeds at being a "comedy chiller" because the tone must be colorful and bouncy w/o unpleasantly-rendered violence throwing off that tone. Here, just about everything comes off beautifully, with a good whodunit angle, creative kills, and some serious babe wattage by the always-welcome Schoelen, who proved herself one of the very best actresses of her generation in THE STEPFATHER and who is once again vivid, sexy, forceful, and completely appealing in CUTTING CLASS. I can't think of a single film she hasn't greatly benefitted just by showing up, and this unexpectedly good film keeps her in very good company. (Plus, you get to see her in a low-cut cheerleader outfit -- who can ask for more than that!

Shannafey
07-07-2010, 02:39 AM
Who won this????

Mutilated Prey
07-07-2010, 03:18 AM
Who won this????

The contest is closed, thanks for throwing out all the love to the indelible Jill Schoelen. For these three lucky winners, they're going to get to watch her and the great THE STEPFATHER in HD for the first time:

fceurich39
fattyjoe37
dave13

Congrats guys, you've won. Send me a PM with your name and address and I'll send these off to you right away.

Thanks to everyone who entered and stay tuned for the next contest and a review of the DVD.

The winners were listed 1 page back.

Vincent Pina
11-23-2010, 08:18 PM
I know this is an old contest, but I love Jill Schoelen and I'm pissed I missed this contest. Just thought I'd chime in on one of my favorite scenes of hers. From Curse II, and it's not 'cause of the snakes, it's for her adorable little song. If anyone will still see this thread, that is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBG1pycbYpY&feature=related