PDA

View Full Version : Savini Slasher Special Effects

rhett
07-19-2010, 05:04 AM
While Tom Savini might be most fondly remembered for his gore effects on Romero's films, particularly Dawn and Day of the Dead, he was also instrumental in shaping the tone and style of slasher films away from the suspense of Halloween to the realistic gore of Friday the 13th. He had a pretty wild run from 1980 through 1984, creating gore effects for seven pretty well remembered slashers from the era, including THE PROWLER, which comes out on Blu-ray later on this month. Which slasher film from that list bears his best work?

fattyjoe37
07-19-2010, 05:38 AM
I think The Prowler showcases his best work, slasher or not.

Erick H.
07-19-2010, 06:09 AM
His stuff is great in all of them but I think his work on THE PROWLER is perhaps his best,even he seems to think so.Nice to see EYES OF A STRANGER mentioned though.Now that it's available uncut his strong work on that film can be more easily appreciated.Not to downplay his contribution to the film but Savini did very little work on ALONE IN THE DARK.He came in at the last minute to provide a zombie-like apparition for a hallucination sequence.

Franco
07-19-2010, 06:11 AM
The Prowler definitely, those look so real... It totally impressed me knowing how old that movie is by now.

Eddyw78
07-19-2010, 01:06 PM
Savini's effects on the Prowler are definatly his most realistic but for full on Tom Savini gore Day of the Dead is hard to beat.

dickieduvet
07-19-2010, 02:09 PM
I'll go with The Burning, Only seen The Prowler a couple of times though, Might change my mind when my Blu-Ray arrives :)

Kim Bruun
07-19-2010, 02:37 PM
I actually don't care for Savini's blue-faced ghouls in Dawn of the Dead.

The Prowler has the most convincing gore out of all his slasher movies, I think. The two Fridays and The Burning are not far behind - not every effect is flawless, but they are generally very good.

One effect has always kinda stood out for me. When Kevin Bacon has an arrow jammed though his neck, his skin tents weirdly before it breaks and the arrow head emerges.

On the other hand, Savini himself is not entirely satisfied with his Cropsy makeup, saying that the scarring he designed did not accurately reflect the loss of tissue that a patient in Cropsey's situation would have suffered. I still like the makeup on Cropsey, though - it is grotesque and frightening.

j tea
07-19-2010, 03:13 PM
the prowler for sure, it was a terrible movie but definitely believable.

MorallySound
07-19-2010, 04:44 PM
Maniac.

Egg_Shen
07-19-2010, 05:39 PM
I have to say the Prowler as well. I think Friday 4 is the best film on the list and perhaps presents it's effects the best. However, Savini goes the extra mile on the prowler. I'm thinking of the pool kill with the blood bubbles, the screeching pitch fork on the shower wall and the poor guy who gets stabbed in the head causing his eyes to roll back. How are you gonna top that?

Body Boy
07-19-2010, 06:06 PM
I think Friday the 13th is the best movie here, but as for effects, The Prowler takes it. The shower and pool kills are excellent!

Chunkblower
07-19-2010, 08:05 PM
I've always felt that Savini's effects were a bit overrated, but I have to admit that his work in The Prowler was impressive.

bigdaddyhorse
07-19-2010, 08:12 PM
I hate to agree with everyone, but have to on The Prowler having the best effects. Factor in when the movie was made and what they had to work with and it only gets more impressive.

Maniac is runner up for effects, and Friday 4 would win favorite film from the list.

Body Boy
07-19-2010, 08:56 PM
For me personally, it goes:

EFFECTS -
1. The Prowler
2. Maniac
3. The Final Chapter
4. Friday the 13th
5. The Burning
6. Eyes of a Stranger
7. Alone in the Dark

BEST FILM -
1. Friday the 13th
2. The Burning
3. Maniac
4. The Final Chapter
5. The Prowler
6. Eyes of a Stranger
7. Alone in the Dark

satans-sadists
07-19-2010, 10:39 PM
I think Savini's best effects work is in Day of the Dead, but since we're discussing slasher films, my vote is for The Prowler.

Harry Warden
07-19-2010, 11:10 PM
Friday the 13th.

rhett
07-19-2010, 11:40 PM
Friday the 13th.

I was wondering when someone was going to vote for the original. Don't get me wrong, I love TFC, but when it comes to Savini's effects there are few as iconic as Bacon's throat spearing or Marcie's axe to the face. For me the most elaborate and convincing effect is the poolside throat slit in The Prowler, though. Even when the knife is moving along the neck, the rubber moves in such a way that it totally looks like flaps of skin. The blood flows out naturally and then the bubbling underwater just puts the final sell on the entire sequence. But then there are those shotgun blasts and that raft massacre, or the head in the fish tank. Ahh, too much!

Shlockjock81
07-20-2010, 01:01 AM
Had to go with the Prowler as well (for effects).

But Maniac and The Burning are still 2 major favs of mine.

indiephantom
07-21-2010, 02:44 AM
The Prowler for sure.

Most overlooked is Eyes of a Stranger, probably because there is not so much. But it is really solid work, and immediately recognizable as Savini.

vampyr789
07-22-2010, 09:05 PM
I've always enjoyed the effects in The Burning, the raft massacre and the shears through the neck were great standouts.

Matt89
07-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Yeah definitely The Prowler, with Maniac close behind. People today are still shocked at how real the effects look in The Prowler, especially that pool throat slashing.

~Matt

CrazyFatEthel
07-23-2010, 12:17 AM
The Prowler with The Burning in a close second!

MisterTwister
07-23-2010, 01:44 AM
The FX in The Prowler is excellent, yes but outside of the death sequences the movie is pretty dull and boring.

So I'm going to go with F13th: TFC simply because it's a better film.

Body Boy
07-23-2010, 02:06 AM
...umm...but that's not what the point of the poll is. >.<'

MisterTwister
07-23-2010, 02:35 AM
...umm...but that's not what the point of the poll is. >.<'

I don't care. I went with TFC because not only is the FX excellent but so is the movie.

Can't say the same about The Prowler.

Criswell
08-19-2010, 10:32 PM
I went for maniac.

Also i assume The Prowler is also known as Rosemarys Killer?