PDA

View Full Version : Favorite kind of horror title?

rhett
08-04-2010, 04:27 PM
TWO ON A GUILLOTINE is an awesome title, but there are several more where that came from. Just as sub-genres seem to trend in the genre, types of titles do too, from the lengthy titles of gialli to the one word titles we seem to frequent today. Which kind is your favorite?

crikan
08-04-2010, 04:56 PM
I'm a sucker for any film with Massacre in the title.

deepred
08-04-2010, 05:06 PM
I've always loved the lengthy titles of gialli.

Especially "Your Vice is A Locked Room and Only I have the Key". :)
"Blood and Black Lace" is another good one but pretty short for a gialli.
or "The House with Laughing Windows". So many good ones.

wago70
08-04-2010, 06:46 PM
I like the big weird words - that way, the title is interesting and is, ultimately, easy to remember.

Hellbilly
08-04-2010, 06:53 PM
I have a soft spot for movies with "Night" in the title. Voted for that.

Darga
08-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Yes, "Night of the" something for me too. There are some good "Day of the"s too.

Kim Bruun
08-04-2010, 10:27 PM
I went with the "Don't..." option - sure, not every movie with this kind of title is good - I'm looking at you, Don't Open the Door! - but it conveys a sort of Grindhouse shock value that I like. Don't Go in the House is pretty good, and The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue was at one point marketed as Don't Open the Window. :)

Otherwise, I like the holiday titles, the groovy, wordy giallo titles, the name in titles, the scary word titles, and the weird word titles. And titles with the word 'massacre'!

I don't like puns, though. For me, the pun signals gimmickry and perhaps even a lack of faith in the cinematic product.

TheDreamMaster
08-05-2010, 12:26 AM
Cool poll. I've actually been thinking about cool horror titles lately for some reason. Not sure which one to choose here. I love gialli titles, for obvious reasons, but they fall under a lot of different categories here.

I also love the "Don't" movie titles too.

bloodthrill
08-05-2010, 12:36 AM
Time of day for me,definitely.. I scanned the list,not choosing one,and thinking, "Hmmm..yeah,I kinda like that one.." then I saw "time of day" and went, "That's it!"

I even liked how Dragon re-named Scott Spiegel's Intruder "Night Of The Intruder" for their first release,even if it was likely to bypass copyrights or something.

Harry Warden
08-05-2010, 12:43 AM
Had to go with lengthy titles like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Coverdale
08-05-2010, 02:02 AM
I picked movies that ask a question in the title because of "What Have You Done To Solange?"

Bluenoser
08-05-2010, 02:06 AM
Bravo on capturing all these Rhett. I picked Common activity followed by the word "Massacre"... always caught my eye as a kid in the video store.

Katatonia
08-05-2010, 02:21 AM
Gotta go with any film that ends with "Massacre"

dave13
08-05-2010, 02:56 AM
i picked the giallo style animal-body part-noun combination, as a stand in for all those giant giallo titles. the forbidden photos of a lady above suspicion. four flies on gray velvet. short night of glass dolls.

othervoice1
08-05-2010, 03:03 AM
Man we got some smart folks at this site coming up with clever polls! <: Hmmmm - For some reason Ill give it to Characters name by an edge over a few others (May is another one that comes to mind) - tough choice though- maybe really in a tie with One word adjective/verb titles - I like the short and to the point titles myself

Mutilated Prey
08-05-2010, 03:59 AM
Going with the "scary word". The Beyond, The Mutilator, The Prey, The Prowler, The Unseen, Humongous, - nice!

Suicide
08-05-2010, 04:26 AM
I love the giallo style titles, the more long winded the better. I'm not big on really short titles. I just watched a Fangoria FrightFest trailer reel and all the titles were just like Hunger, Dark House, Fragile....boring and easy to mix up with other movies with similar or identical titles. Titles like Blue Eyes of the Broken Doll or All The Colors of the Dark are epic and memorable.

MadmanMarz
08-05-2010, 05:40 AM
Massacre movies were always a draw for me in the 80's...Slumber Party, Sorority House, Nail Gun were fun. Unfortunately now massacre films havent delivered the same enjoyment the 80's flicks did. Cheerleader, Spring Break, Slaughterhouse Massacre films don't deliver the goods, but they still catch my attention with that key word.

X-human
08-05-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm a sucker for puns, but normally they're good movies too. Something about the combination of filmmakers clever enough to come up with it and distributors to use it that makes for good movies.

j tea
08-05-2010, 04:35 PM
I guess mine would be the exhortation because I think "Strip Nude for Your Killer" is the greatest title.

NightAndFog
08-05-2010, 05:34 PM
I've always loved the lengthy titles of gialli.

Especially "Your Vice is A Locked Room and Only I have the Key". :)
"Blood and Black Lace" is another good one but pretty short for a gialli.
or "The House with Laughing Windows". So many good ones.

Man, you stole the words right out of my mouth!
Il Tuo Vizio E Una Stanza Chiusa E Solo Io Ne Ho La Chiave - how in the world could you go wrong with that title! It can't possibly be a bad movie if you took the time and effort to come up with a title like that!

This is the best/most clever pool EVER!

MorallySound
08-05-2010, 07:33 PM
Definitely a fan of the giallo titles.

msw7
08-06-2010, 12:05 AM
I'm not sure I have a preference, though I dislike names that seem derivative (so many titles with "Night of the" "Dawn of the " etc. won't thrill me). I like names that are original, powerful, and that fit the thematic elements of the movie - those are all more important criteria to me for a good title than its linguistic pattern.

Workshed
08-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Puns. Love 'em. Great poll.

satans-sadists
08-10-2010, 06:14 PM
Horror titles with big weird words are usually cool since they often stand out in the crowd of generic titles. Suspiria, Phantasm, Tenebre, and Phenomena are all good examples. I also like the lengthy titles describing the event, especially if they reference a location (since I love to travel). Texas Chain Saw Massacre is probably the best example with a geographic reference.

DVD-fanatic-9
11-25-2010, 10:51 AM
I'm always faster to the draw with things I dislike, so until I think of anything else- I know I'm actually not the biggest fan of titles with words like "Massacre" and "Slaughter" (etc.) in them (sound too much like Manson-type documentaries), or most titles with names in them (Henry, May, Rosemary, Jessica). Makes them sound like dramas.

If... that is, I'm going to be superficial and nitpick something completely arbitrary. My favorite titles are things with a lot of mystery about them. Especially Friday the 13th. They could have made any kind of horror movie and called it that. Could have been a vampire movie, a zombie movie, werewolf, slasher, witches, killer robot... That's what I really like. A title that they could give to any kind of horror subgenre.