PDA

View Full Version : Romero's SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD Contest

rhett
08-25-2010, 07:34 PM
The Zen master of the Zombie, George A. Romero, returns to his signature series once more with SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD, out now on Blu-ray and DVD from Magnolia Home Entertainment. We've got 3 DVD copies to giveaway, and all you have to do to enter the contest is tell us: What's your favorite Romero DEAD film?
http://www.horrordigital.com/reviews/contests/dvdcon.jpg

The Zen master of the Zombie, George A. Romero, returns to his signature series once more with SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD, out now on Blu-ray and DVD from Magnolia Home Entertainment. We've got 3 DVD copies to giveaway, and all you have to do to enter the contest is tell us: What's your favorite Romero DEAD film?

In the past, Romero has explored humanity, consumerism, militarism, globalization and technology in his previous DEAD films (Night, Dawn, Day, Land, Diary) and his latest takes him to an island where his victims look to medicine and the hope that there is a future for themselves and those that are zombies for a fresh start. Now's your chance for a fresh copy of his latest undead, and all you have to do is tell us what your favorite Romero DEAD film is and why.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51QMqgXADkL.jpg

Please post a single response submission in this thread. Contest will close on Monday, August 30th. After the contest ends, three random winners will be selected and notified in this thread.

So without further adieu, tell us: What's your favorite Romero DEAD film, and why?

Angelman
08-25-2010, 07:38 PM
Night of The Living Dead, no question. It was the first movie I watched on a VCR (old school!) and that end is burned into my mind for all time. Dawn was great, Dead was gory but there is only one Night!

old-boo-radley
08-25-2010, 07:48 PM
Dawn of the Dead. I still remember getting it on VHS from Anchor Bay for a job well done raking leaves one fall. One of the first horror films I ever owned!

MasterGio
08-25-2010, 07:56 PM
Night of the Living Dead. As far as gore & violence the movie was a break through for the highly important to where the horror film would go. it started the whole modern horror film/ zombie film & is the scariest in the entire series.

Darga
08-25-2010, 08:25 PM
Dawn of the Dead. I saw a midnight showing of it when I was 14 or 15 and if really blew my mind. The gore plus the feeling the film imparted that it really was the end of humanity.

Nailwraps
08-25-2010, 08:42 PM
Definetly Night Of The Living Dead, because it was such a classic. It defined the zombie genre, really questions about civilization and society, it's one of those films that really makes you appreciate not just the horror, but the art.

sumo8675309
08-25-2010, 09:02 PM
gotta go with dawn of the dead too, it's the only one ive bought multiple copies on vhs

shithead
08-25-2010, 09:11 PM
Dawn Of The Dead, favorite Horror Film period!

I still remember buying the Anchor Bay VHS from my local mall (of all places!) It was around Halloween time and I was about 13. I took it home and watched it for the first time, and afterward I knew that it would be hard to find a Horror Film that could top it....and I still haven't found one to this day!

evildeadfan123
08-25-2010, 09:47 PM
Have to go with Dawn of the Dead. I love Night and Day, but I love Dawn of the Dead more because it was more gory than Night, and the plot was better than Day of the Dead, and because of the Makeup from Tom Savini, and the tagline "When There's No More Room In Hell, The Dead Shall Walk The Earth."

walkingdude
08-25-2010, 09:47 PM
Pretty sure I love Dawn and Day equally.

eric_angelus
08-25-2010, 10:45 PM
The original Night of the Living Dead is my favorite. It is the reason most of the horror movies made since were made. Full of stark, doomed atmosphere and unforgettable images. It is a pure classic that is the perfect bridge between 50's-60's style atomic age horror/sci fi and the modern horror film.

deepred
08-25-2010, 11:18 PM
Night of the Living Dead is my favorite - I love Ben and the ironic ending. :) Though Dawn and Day are great too!

Copyboy
08-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Definitely NIGHT. When I was a kid I would have said DAWN, but the gore and blue faces and bright red blood just don't hold a candle to the atmosphere of the original. I could watch DAWN any old time, but NIGHT I'll only watch in October because it's just that special.

chinoev
08-26-2010, 12:15 AM
Dawn of the Dead is my favorite. The special effect can be kind of cheesy, but I think it has an interesting story and likable characters.

soxfan666
08-26-2010, 12:36 AM
Dawn of the Dead for me. I still remember watching it for the first time with my older sister. I feel that characters in this movie are the most likable and realistic of any of Romero's dead films. I still wish that the motorcycle gang never showed up and each of them where able to live it out in the mall.

Katatonia
08-26-2010, 12:55 AM
Dawn of the Dead would be my favorite Romero "Dead" film. I enjoy it more and more every time I see it. I just love the whole "mall" setting, and the film just works so well on many levels.

I actually used to prefer Day of the Dead more, but that's slowly moved to 2nd place over the years.

_pi_
08-26-2010, 01:04 AM
Dawn of the Dead is my favorite simply because I think it's completely one of a kind and fascinating in terms of plot, style and overall substance.

However, nowadays I kind of feel like watching the entire series (up to and including Land) if I'm going to watch any of them. Which actually means I haven't watched any of them in a long while. Must remedy this soon.

Haven't seen Survival yet, but if I win a copy (*knockonwood*) I might have to do a marathon ... and give Diary another chance (ugh ...)

Slackjaw83
08-26-2010, 01:05 AM
Night of the Living Dead. Romero actually pointed out my reason for loving this in a documentary about EC Comics. He pointed out that, when making Night, he took a lot of time to frame the shots in a way that was similar to the EC comics he loved 15 years earlier. It absolutely shows, and it's absolutely one of the reasons that the film has an aesthetic quality that is completely its own.

indiephantom
08-26-2010, 01:26 AM
Dawn of the Dead -I love both the director's cut and the theatrical. This is one of the films that I could probably sit down and watch any time from start to finish and completely enjoy. I love to wait a couple of years to pop it back in again and enjoy. It is just a masterpiece in my opinion. I think Romero's first four films in the series are entirely rewatchable, but this and Day seem to just get better and better with age.

othervoice1
08-26-2010, 02:07 AM
Night of the Living Dead. I remember seeing this a lot on halloween when I was a little kid on TV so it has a special place in my heart. Add to that its a classic and I think holds up pretty well today and I have to give it my vote.

Undeadcow
08-26-2010, 02:30 AM
Dawn of the Dead, I enjoyed the theme of social isolation despite being suck in material avaliability.

Bluenoser
08-26-2010, 02:32 AM
Original Dawn. I think I first enjoyed it as a youngin' b/c the idea of living in a mall was kick ass. They had EVERYTHING. And this was back in the day when they sold guns AND had skating rinks in malls.

dave13
08-26-2010, 03:03 AM
i think night. i love the black and white cinematography, and that vibe that comes from 60's independent cinema. dawn and day are a whole lot of gory fun, but night really feels like a piece of history.

Egg_Shen
08-26-2010, 03:17 AM
I'm torn between Dawn and Night. I'm gonna say Dawn. I like it for it's epic vision, especially considering it's modest budget. Just got Survival in from Netflix so I'm about to see how that one came out.

Mitbox
08-26-2010, 03:23 AM
Dawn of the Dead, it's for me what Star Wars is for some people. Horror and adventure never combined better.

SaviniFan
08-26-2010, 04:11 AM
Dawn of the Dead. Saw it numerous times at midnight screenings and countless times via home video. It is the quintessential horror film in my opinion.

Erick H.
08-26-2010, 04:28 AM
Night Of The Living Dead has the edge for me.I had actually seen DAWN first (and loved it) but my first screening of NIGHT was kind of perfect.It was Halloween and I was alone,late at night.The film rolled out in front of my eyes and from it's first black and white image to the fadeout I was hooked.It's rough edges just seem to enhance the reality of the situation and even it's use of stock music somehow seems to work in it's favor.It still has a strange way of getting under my skin all these years later.That's the mark of a classic !

Nasty Nate
08-26-2010, 04:41 AM
Dawn Of The Dead. It has characters that you can really care about.

Workshed
08-26-2010, 04:45 AM
Day of the Dead does a fantastic job of capturing paranoia on film. This film makes me legitimately anxious, and the ending is gore-tastic. Whenever I want zombies, this is where I turn.

X-human
08-26-2010, 05:20 AM
Night of the Living Dead, the single film that separates past horror from current horror.

CrazyFatEthel
08-26-2010, 06:45 AM
I'd have to go with Night of the Living Dead. Just for memories sake of watching it with my grandmother when I was about 7!!! XD

Iron Jaiden
08-26-2010, 06:52 AM
I'm gonna go with the Argento cut of Dawn of the Dead (Zombi).
I like the music more and I think the pacing works better for multiple viewings.

Zombie Dude
08-26-2010, 08:17 AM
Dawn of the Dead. Saw it when I started getting into horror so it really sticks with me.

bigdaddyhorse
08-26-2010, 08:28 AM
Dawn is still the best of the genre. Even the blue make-up holds up well all these years later.

Conal Cochran
08-26-2010, 11:42 AM
I will have to go with Dawn of the dead.

17thJuggalo
08-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Night of the Living Dead. In my opinion it's the best horror film of all time and a staple of local (Pittsburgh) culture. I grew up with this movie and wasn't out of the ordinary for it to be shown on a Saturday afternoon on a local station. What's crazy is that it can still hold it's creepiness factor after all this time.

ekent
08-26-2010, 12:59 PM
Deciding between Dawn of the Dead and Night of the Living Dead is tough, but I choose Night because it was more than a great film, it also opened my eyes to the fact that not all B&W films are dull. Without this realization, I doubt I'd have ever opened that door to classic cinema, and I'd be a lesser man for it!

Hellbilly
08-26-2010, 01:15 PM
Dawn of the Dead, the Extended cut because the more the better.
I actually saw this on the big screen a couple of years after it's original Theatrical run and it was a blast. Loved it ever since.

ZoSo
08-26-2010, 01:47 PM
Dawn. Helicopter + Zombie = CHOPPPPPPPPPPPPP

BroodingHope
08-26-2010, 03:38 PM
For me my favorite has always been Day of the Dead. I loved the confined underground setting, the tension between the military and pretty much everyone else, and of course Bub. It was also the first Dead film where I thought the zombies were actually 'scary'. The opening sequence of the film featuring Dr. Tongue is also one of my favorite openings of all time.

fceurich39
08-26-2010, 05:09 PM
Dawn of the dead is actually my favorite horror movie of all time i love the whole consumerism/shopping mall feel. I have every version of the movie that exists. Dawn of the dead is the most epic horror movie ever u cant go wrong with over 2 hours of nonstop thrills.

Horrorphilly
08-26-2010, 05:16 PM
I would have to say Night of The Living Dead because of the sheer creepiness of it and it was the first movie I bought on vhs.It's also so fucking awesome that the movie uses Pennsylvania as its back drop.

sean

fattyjoe37
08-26-2010, 05:35 PM
Night of the Living Dead for me. Love the originality, the atmosphere, and the ending is one of my favorites of all time. I'm a big fan of people trapped in a house style horror movies and this was the first.

Anaestheus
08-26-2010, 06:21 PM
I go with NotLD. Partially because I think it's the best of his films and incredibly influential and groundbreaking and all that. But, primarily because I first saw it when my family rented a VCR for Thanksgiving back in the early 80s and it started a tradition of watching zombie movies every Thanksgiving with my family. And that just rocks.

moogong
08-26-2010, 07:16 PM
I go with Dawn of the Dead. It is probably the Romero film I watch the most. I love the setting of fighting zombies in a mall.

TheShape
08-26-2010, 08:50 PM
Dawn of the Dead for me too.

It takes everything that made NOTLD great to a better level.

killit
08-26-2010, 09:27 PM
Day of the Dead. Simply the gore. the gore was the best. Still great IMO, underground, apocalyptic tones didn't hurt either!

Caspar2112
08-26-2010, 11:40 PM
I have long since been influenced and delighted with repeat viewings of the classic Dead films. Night of the Living Dead is the ultimate classic and still the originator of the series. Dawn is a favorite as well and so incredibly creative but I would have to begin with the beginning and that is Night !!

litaud
08-27-2010, 12:50 AM
Dawn of the Dead.
Why? Criticism of capitalism...

rxfiend
08-27-2010, 12:53 AM
Dawn of the Dead!

turdburglar
08-27-2010, 12:58 AM
My wife actually liked this better than me... she liked the family dynamic- I thought it was OK. CG was a bit ridiculous. I still like Dawn...

Shannafey
08-27-2010, 02:35 AM
Dawn of the Dead has always been my favorite! It was actually the first one I saw. Actually the first VHS tape I ever rented when my aunt bought one of the first VCRs. I had known about the film and remembered seeing the theatre marques in NYC when I was a kid and I had to see it. I love that film and have seen all the versions, countless times!

MaxRenn
08-27-2010, 03:09 AM
Night of the Living Dead - still the best example of how talent and happenstance can create a classic out of a low budget.

Spit
08-27-2010, 06:41 AM
Day of the Dead - Savini at his finest!

Copyboy
08-27-2010, 09:08 AM
I go with NotLD. Partially because I think it's the best of his films and incredibly influential and groundbreaking and all that. But, primarily because I first saw it when my family rented a VCR for Thanksgiving back in the early 80s and it started a tradition of watching zombie movies every Thanksgiving with my family. And that just rocks.

The tradition of watching zombie movies every Thanksgiving totally put a smile on my face. I wish I had grown up in your family! :)

Darkside
08-27-2010, 01:09 PM
Dawn of the Dead, Wooley going apesh*t in the apartment complex and the priest giving last rights to the dead were some of my favorite scenes and the overall tone of the film and the decline of law and order in the face of the overwhelming Zed rising just does it for me every time.

KappaMoth
08-27-2010, 09:35 PM
Dawn. Night was amazing - but they perfected it with the second one.

joltaddict
08-28-2010, 09:06 AM
Night. Best ending and the least heavy handed with the message.

Mutilated Prey
08-28-2010, 08:49 PM
Day of the Dead for me. I love the creepy atmosphere of being underground in the tunnels and dark throughout the movie. The gore is top notch - can't beat it. I saw this before I saw Dawn of the Living Dead and wish it was the other way around. Day just set the gore bar so high it made Dawn look cheaply done in a way. Still love Dawn, don't get me wrong, but I'm a Day man :)

MisterTwister
08-28-2010, 09:06 PM
Dawn of the Dead.

I love the epic, comic book feel to the film as well as the amazing FX work by Tom Savini and the likable characters.

thehorrordude
08-29-2010, 03:57 AM
Day of the Dead, because I love the storyline with Bub and the gore effects are killer in this one.

satans-sadists
08-29-2010, 04:17 AM
I think Day of the Dead has the best FX of all Romero's Dead films, but Dawn of the Dead is still my favorite. The characters sell the movie best for me, plus I always liked the trapped in a mall setting. Those damn bikers fucked it all up though!

Suicide
08-29-2010, 06:37 AM
Day of the Dead. Night and Dawn are good, but I like Day a bit more for the stuff with Bub and the amazing effects.

rwrhoads
08-29-2010, 10:28 PM
This is a tough one. But, if I had to pick one, it would have to be Day of the Dead. The reason for my pick is not only because it had some of the most ground-breaking gore ever filmed up to that date, but because I first saw it at an all night Halloween movie marathon at a local drive-in theater that my sister took me to when I was only seven. I've been hooked on zombies and zombie movies every since!

Novosibirsk
08-30-2010, 02:10 AM
Day of the Dead for the claustrophobia, and the FX.

gyhorrorfan07
08-30-2010, 06:54 AM
While I enjoy and love both Night (for making a huge impact in horror films) and Dawn (for being an even better sequel), I have to choose Day of the Dead. Great gore effects, story, atmosphere, and some likable characters (like Bub).

Mok
08-30-2010, 05:48 PM
Ill go Day. It just doesn't get much better than Rhodes.

By the way, should I happen to win, I forfeit the prize to Ash who recently got screwed on a book buy. I didn't much care for Survival so I'll let Ash take it. ;)

EDIT: I see Ash got his consolation DVDs, but I'll still let him have this one should I win for his pain and suffering. :D

spawningblue
08-30-2010, 09:05 PM
Have to go with Dawn of the Dead. Night is awesome as well, but I love me some zombies in a mall.

mcchrist
08-30-2010, 09:18 PM
Dawn, because it is his most effective other than Night. I don't want to win this, though, it will end up as a donation to the pawn shop.

muceo13
08-31-2010, 10:10 PM
Day of the Dead. It's gory and bleak.

Ash28M
08-31-2010, 10:47 PM
Night of The Living Dead for me. I like my horror film played straight. I love the others but Dawn of the Dead can feel campy at times and Day of the Dead feels almost incomplete.

rhett
09-01-2010, 09:18 AM
The contest is now closed. Thanks everyone for their submissions. While his latter films didn't see much (any) presence here, it's clear that Romero's first three films share a near equal love from horror fans on the site. But that's not what we're all in this thread for...

The random.org generated winners of a DVD of SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD are:

Slackjaw83
BroodingHope
turdburglar

Send me a PM with your name and address and these shall be yours when they arrive on my doorstep.

Thanks all for participating, and look for a new contest soon!

Hellbilly
09-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Congrats to the Winners :)

Workshed
09-01-2010, 05:13 PM
"turdburglar" <---- wow, :joshua:! Ha ha, congrats to all the winners. I still want to see Survival.

Ash28M
09-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Assholes! I mean congratulations :)

indiephantom
09-01-2010, 08:51 PM
congrats winners!

Erick H.
09-02-2010, 05:42 AM
Congrats guys !

shithead
09-02-2010, 05:49 AM
Congrats wieners!

If anyone is not wanting of their copy I'll gladly take it!:D

Slackjaw83
09-02-2010, 05:57 AM
Can't believe that I won one! Pretty outstanding! WOOHOO!!!

buck135
09-02-2010, 06:31 AM
Very cool Slackjaw. Congrats.

spawningblue
09-02-2010, 11:19 PM
Congrats guys!

JamesBond007
09-09-2010, 11:24 PM
Dawn Of The Dead. The reason why? It's because this broke one broke the ice with the most effective gore effects (remarkedly developed by Tom Savin i) for its time, like the scene where Wholley blows the head off of an immegrant with a shotgun. I also thought that Dawn is the most character-development of the series where you get to know the four protagonists that, despite acting as rivals or collegues, have bonded to the point that they became friends, My favorite gory scene would have to be the apartment raid scene of course, with Theo the zombie, biting a large chunk off of his girlfriend. Really effective- and creative that is. That's the reason why it's my favorite.

mrcafejava
09-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Dawn of the Dead. The interaction between characters, the fact that it deals with the depression of the zombie apocalypse. How it may be fun in the beginning, to run around killing zombies, fucking around with them, you realize all traces of humanity may be gone.

Slackjaw83
09-20-2010, 07:01 PM
Just walked out to the mailbox and was greeted by my copy of Survival of the Dead. I think I'm going to spend my day off today checking out the lengthy making-of doc on the 2nd disc. Again, thanks to rhett and the horrordigital crew!