PDA

View Full Version : Favorite horror from the IMDb Top 10?

rhett
09-15-2010, 05:54 AM
We're gearing up for October and there are a lot of Top Ten lists floating around (we'll be doing our own shortly!), but how about the biggest in terms of overall reach - the IMDb. Which of their ranked Top Ten Horror Films is your favorite?

TheDreamMaster
09-15-2010, 05:56 AM
Frankenstein because it means so much to me. The Thing is really fucking close though.

rhett
09-15-2010, 06:03 AM
The Thing is a very close second for me too, but I went with THE SHINING because it's a movie I can (and have) watch over and over and still get something fresh and new out of it every time. It's such a deep, rich exploration of time, consciousness, violence, family, career, history...all those things, and it still has the capability to scare me after all these years. Five words: Fellatio in a bear suit.

rabidgoatboy
09-15-2010, 06:07 AM
It was hard to choose between the original Frankenstein and The Shining, but I had to go with The Shining. It's one of Kubrick's best, and I'm still amazed every time I watch it.

othervoice1
09-15-2010, 06:17 AM
Wow Ive never heard of Werckmeister Harmonies - hell if it makes the top freakin 10 I guess I better check it out

MadmanMarz
09-15-2010, 06:25 AM
My vote goes to The Thing. Since it's release it has always one of my favorites and still holds up today. Over the years I have come to appreciate The Shining and Rosemary's Baby much more than when I first saw them in the eighties. Both are very smart horror films, but still nowhere as fun (or as scary) as The Thing.

rabidgoatboy
09-15-2010, 06:30 AM
Wow Ive never heard of Werckmeister Harmonies - hell if it makes the top freakin 10 I guess I better check it out

I really wouldn't consider it a horror film. It's a surreal Hungarian Mystery/Drama directed by Bela Tarr. It can be a little slow (there's only 39 shots in the whole film), but don't let that stop you from watching it. It's excellent. All of the films by Bela Tarr I have seen, I have enjoyed very much, although I haven't been able to set aside 8 hours to watch his film Satantango.

buck135
09-15-2010, 06:32 AM
Good list. Had to go with "The Scariest Film of All Time." Now kindly undo these straps!

indrid13
09-15-2010, 06:46 AM
Wow, this is a tough one. But I've got to go with Frankenstein. It's got a lot of meaning for me too. The Shining and The Exorcist would be real close behind though.

msw7
09-15-2010, 07:49 AM
I went with the Thing, but it was a tough choice between almost all of them. Rosemary's Baby (not my favorite) and Werckmeister Harmonies (never seen it) were the only two not in the running for me, but I have such fond memories of the Thing that it won by a spider-legged decapitated head scuttling across the floor :)

Marshall Crist
09-15-2010, 08:04 AM
Phew. Much love for FRANKENSTEIN, but I like some of the sequels better. ALIEN is a champ too. Ultimately went with THE THING because it's the one I would most like to re-watch right now.

Workshed
09-15-2010, 08:37 AM
Rosemary's Baby is gorgeous to watch. It's one of the most successfully paranoid films. My dad tells a story about taking a girl to see it in the theater when he was younger, and when his date jumped and clutched at him, he let out a loud yelp. When I watched it for the first time, he got the heebie jeebies again.

And that ending? Awesome. Fuck yeah, Year One.

Copyboy
09-15-2010, 09:57 AM

No, don't. I made this mistake. I just posted on this in the original IMDB Top 50 Horror Movies thread. I really don't know why people like this movie so much.

shithead
09-15-2010, 11:40 AM
The Exorcist easily.

SaviniFan
09-15-2010, 02:14 PM
King Kong. The stop motion effects of Willis Obrian have fascinated me since I was a kid. It is too bad that as time goes on it becomes more and more rare in film use as it is a true art.

SaxCatz
09-15-2010, 03:51 PM
I couldn't choose between "Alien" and "The Shining."
I noticed that "Alien" hadn't received any love yet, so it got my vote.

KappaMoth
09-15-2010, 04:10 PM
The Thing, represent!

Angelman
09-15-2010, 04:32 PM
Psycho but I could just as easily have gone The Thing.

evildeadfan123
09-15-2010, 04:36 PM
So hard to decide. Saw Alien and The Thing when they were originally released at the theaters, saw The Exorcist several years ago when it was re-released. I own The Shining on DVD and have watched it several times, and I have Rosemary's Baby on DVD. I ultimately voted for Alien, but Alien, Exorcist, The Thing, and The Shining were tied for 2nd, because all of them I have listed, I have seen several times, and The Thing was a very cool movie, but Alien just was so cool, but it was almost hard to decide.

Egg_Shen
09-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Psycho. Expertly made, and infinitely watchable.

Darga
09-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Wow, it's really hard to pick a number one. Off the top of my head I'd have to pick Alien since that's the one I watch most often, but then I feel like I'm disrespecting my childhood favorites, Frankenstein and King Kong. I haven't seen The Exorcist in years but I did recently visit the infamous steps when I was down in DC recently and I'm looking forward to checking it out on Blu ray when it comes out next month.

X-human
09-15-2010, 05:08 PM
King Kong. The stop motion effects of Willis Obrian have fascinated me since I was a kid. It is too bad that as time goes on it becomes more and more rare in film use as it is a true art.

I almost went this route, as it is a personal favorite of mine, but I don't truly consider it a horror film. The Shinning, The Thing, Psycho, and all the others certainly make it a hard pick, but I had to go with my ultimate favorite Frankenstein.

I'm a bit surprised it's surpassed The Bride of Frankenstein, often cited as the fan favorite. Although Bride is excellent, I still like the first one slightly more.

j tea
09-15-2010, 05:47 PM
That is ridiculously hard. I went with Psycho. I would say it is perfect. Although some of the others are very very close. Alien is a near perfect movie. The last reel with Ripley all by herself lags for me a little. The Shining is near perfect. Honestly the montage of random ghost scenes toward the end really fails for me. I can't think of anything in The Thing or The Exorcist that fall flat. Pretty decent list actually.

Can't wait for October!

Kim Bruun
09-15-2010, 07:51 PM
The Thing, with Alien being a close second. Spectacular monster design, well-drawn characters, and a gripping sense of paranoia and isolation in both of them.

cazzasguy
09-15-2010, 08:19 PM
Wow, that was difficult. Chose Alien today but tomorrow it could be Frankenstein, Friday King Kong, and Saturday The Thing. Excluding Diabolique and the weirdly named one I've never seen or even heard of, I would score all the others between 9.9 and 10 out of 10.

By coincidence, Alien is being broadcast over here (UK) in high definition this evening... can't wait!

Bluenoser
09-15-2010, 08:59 PM
After some humming and hawing, I went with The Thing.

Shlockjock81
09-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Most difficult poll ever. I honestly cannot decide between The Thing, Alien, The Exorcist, and The Shining.

evildeadfan123
09-15-2010, 09:38 PM
So hard to decide. Saw Alien and The Thing when they were originally released at the theaters, saw The Exorcist several years ago when it was re-released. I own The Shining on DVD and have watched it several times, and I have Rosemary's Baby on DVD. I ultimately voted for Alien, but Alien, Exorcist, The Thing, and The Shining were tied for 2nd, because all of them I have listed, I have seen several times, and The Thing was a very cool movie, but Alien just was so cool, but it was almost hard to decide.

Didn't see Psycho up there. I have the 2-Disc set of Psycho. My mom saw it when it was originally released in the theaters, and she said that she couldn't take a shower for weeks after the movie, but my mother, was the one who got me started on horror films at the ripe age of 9.

nightmare5fan
09-15-2010, 09:38 PM
Gee! I was torn between The Shining and Rosemary's Baby. After all hese years they're still effective everytime I watch them. But Rosemary is the one that haunts me from beginning to end, with Mia singing and the city shots with the pink letters...

spawningblue
09-15-2010, 11:43 PM
Went with The Thing, with The Exorcist and The Shining slightly behind. After those three, probably Rosemary's Baby.

Harry Warden
09-16-2010, 12:27 AM
No contest..The Exorcist!!

Criswell
09-16-2010, 12:33 AM
Kong for me.

Also i must be the only person on the Planet that does not like The Shining. Just never did it for me.

joltaddict
09-16-2010, 04:47 AM

Me too.
Especially since it took a spot that could have gone to Texas Chainsaw. :D

Mitbox
09-16-2010, 05:05 AM
Which version of The Thing are we talking about? I voted and then remembered there is an original and a remake. Too lazy to go check on IMDB now. Anyways, hard choice between Alien and The Thing! But I gave it to good ol' maestro Carpenter.

msw7
09-16-2010, 05:08 AM
Which version of The Thing are we talking about? I voted and then remembered there is an original and a remake. Too lazy to go check on IMDB now. Anyways, hard choice between Alien and The Thing! But I gave it to good ol' maestro Carpenter.

I assumed it was Carpenter's version... unless the people over at imdb are seriously misguided...

buck135
09-16-2010, 05:46 AM
The original is titled "The Thing From Another World." The poll is referring to the remake.

Anaestheus
09-16-2010, 08:16 AM
It's like trying to choose which child will live. Sort of.

But, I stuck to the word "favorite" and went with "Shining" as it's the film that I have probably watched the most. And certainly a film that I never get tired of watching.

But, I have to admit to feeling a bit guilty picking it over Psycho, Kong, Diabolique, and Rosemary as I know I could never understate the importance of those films to both history and myself. If it had been "best" or "most significant" I'm sure I would have voted differently.

satans-sadists
09-16-2010, 08:27 AM
The Shining, which I've seen more times than any horror film ever made. I've only watched it once on Blu-ray thus far, well worth the upgrade! Rosemary's Baby would be my second favorite.

DVD-fanatic-9
09-16-2010, 07:05 PM
Out of that list- Rosemary's Baby.

fceurich39
09-16-2010, 07:13 PM
the Thing

eric_angelus
09-17-2010, 03:06 AM
Rosemary's Baby. No contest.

dave13
09-17-2010, 03:57 AM
I almost went this route, as it is a personal favorite of mine, but I don't truly consider it a horror film.

I was expecting this argument to surface somewhere, but the question, as i saw it, was essentially: "which one of these films is your favorite." at first it seemed like an impossible task, because they're all phenomenal (like most people, i haven't seen the harmonies one). i ended up doing a one on one elimination, and ended up with King Kong. its just perfect, and so much fun to watch. i avoid watching amazing films like the exorcist, the shining, or rosemary's baby too often because im afraid of dulling their impact. but with king kong, i could watch that any time. its just a fun, fun film.

msw7
09-17-2010, 08:21 AM
Still no love for Diabolique? I just watched that tonight (I don't think I had seen the original all the way through before, actually - or at least I remember the remake much better). It's pretty effective - creepy and atmospheric, particularly towards the end.

Aldous
09-17-2010, 02:07 PM
Which of their ranked Top Ten Horror Films is your favorite?

Had to go with Alien, sir!

1.) Alien
2.) The Thing
3.) The Shining

_

Fistfuck
09-17-2010, 06:50 PM
The Thing was a very cool movie, but Alien just was so cool, but it was almost hard to decide.

Well, we can shut the books on that debate. It's official:

very cool < just so cool

crikan
09-17-2010, 08:12 PM
Wow, I'm a bit surprised I fell in line with the popular choice. The Thing might just be my favorite horror film.

Anthropophagus
09-17-2010, 08:20 PM
I really can't honestly vote here, I'm leaning towards Psycho or The Exorcist but I also love Frankenstein and King Kong. The Shining, Alien and The Thing are also in my top 10 which makes this a near impossible choice for me.

spawningblue
09-17-2010, 11:10 PM
I'm really surprised that Halloween didn't make their list!? Especially over Werckmeister Harmonies which I have never even heard of.

Anthropophagus
09-17-2010, 11:15 PM
I'm really surprised that Halloween didn't make their list!? Especially over Werckmeister Harmonies which I have never even heard of.

For sure, I would also think the original The Haunting would have been in the running, it's right up there with Diabolique for psychological suspense.

blu
09-18-2010, 04:39 PM
The Exorcist is my fave of those listed but Frankenstein and The Thing are amazing as well.

Mutilated Prey
09-18-2010, 11:47 PM
The Thing wins for me. I love the creepy atmosphere, Sci-Fi twist and gore. The Shining is a very close second though.

msw7
09-19-2010, 01:41 AM
Just out of curiosity, how many of these do people own?

I own all but 3 - Rosemary's Baby (not a favorite, so I didn't bother); Werckmeister Harmonies (never heard of it before), Frankenstein (need to get this one, and Bride....)

joltaddict
09-19-2010, 02:53 AM
I dont have King Kong or Werchmeister.

Spit
09-19-2010, 03:04 AM
So many great films. I'm surprised Alien hasnt gotten that much attention. It was the film that broke my horror cherry and it will always hold a very very special place in my heart.

Had to go with Alien, sir!

1.) Alien
2.) The Thing
3.) The Shining

I like the way your brain works aldous.

MorallySound
09-21-2010, 07:15 PM
Rosemary's Baby.

Midnight Buddha
09-21-2010, 08:29 PM
I voted for The Thing

Nailwraps
09-22-2010, 05:27 AM
Obviously Psycho.

pdw
09-24-2010, 10:12 PM
It's hard for me to choose between Alien, King Kong, JC's The Thing...

Hmmm... If I had to choose, it'd prolly be Alien, with the original King Kong coming in second.

Shannafey
09-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Definitely The Thing!

Undeadcow
09-25-2010, 06:14 PM
Rosemary's Baby

Bobbywoodhogan
09-25-2010, 06:33 PM
From that list the Thing but Psycho is a close second. Where the hell is Halloween?