PDA

View Full Version : How many horror movies are you going to watch this October?

rhett
09-27-2010, 06:43 PM
Well, horror fans, we're gearing up for our favorite month, where it should be all horror, all the time! I know for the review crew, September is another big horror month, since we're all trying to get our horror watching and reviewing in so we can hit our 31 reviews in 31 days mandate, but what about you? How many horror movies do you realistically plan to watch this October? One a day? One a week? Three a day? We've seen some pretty insane numbers from members over the years.

Vote in the poll and then let us know in the thread here so we can compare after the month is done how close we came to our goals.

Workshed
09-27-2010, 06:55 PM
In 2008, I think I did around 29, but in 2009, I dropped to 10.

I have two trips planned for October 2010, so I know those will eat up viewing days.

Hm. Gonna go with 11-15.

SaxCatz
09-27-2010, 07:00 PM
I'm aiming for a horor movie a day...

ColonelCaine
09-27-2010, 07:05 PM
At least one a day, and this year I'm aiming more for flicks I've never seen, as most of my old stand-by's are getting kind of stale.

Steel76
09-27-2010, 07:05 PM
I watch horror movies almost every day of the year, so October really isnīt gonna change anything much, but I might watch twice as much as usual and go for all night maratons ;)

Voted 70+!

Undeadcow
09-27-2010, 07:07 PM
I'm going for over 100 as part of a personal challenge and discussion on another site. What good is October if not to cram in horror movies? Last year I got to 103.

j tea
09-27-2010, 07:12 PM
I can't watch more than 6 hours of anything in a week, so i put myself down for 6-10.

satans-sadists
09-27-2010, 07:16 PM
Going to be a busy month. I'm thinking around 21 - 25 at best. I'll be revisiting some Halloween themed tv episodes from my video collection too.

Hatchetwarrior
09-27-2010, 07:20 PM
I really don't like predicting the out come since I typically never end up watching everything I want. But considering what I've been able to squeeze in over the years I'm gonna aim for 41-50. Right Now my list is sitting comfortably with at least 50 films. Hopefully I can make that a reality.

Hellbilly
09-27-2010, 07:31 PM
Last year: 103.
This year: at least 62

Darga
09-27-2010, 09:14 PM
I'd like to do 1 a day, but realistically that's probably not going to happen. I'm going with 11-15.

Paff
09-27-2010, 09:46 PM
As always, my film festival pretty much decimates me for horror film watching at home. It ends on the 28th though, so I do plan on a movie-marathon on Halloween weekend, probably at least 4 movies back to back on Saturday night.

Tossing in a few other viewings over the course of the month should put me in the 6-10 range.

Saint
09-27-2010, 09:55 PM
I'll watch at least one a day...

Silent Noize
09-27-2010, 10:34 PM
I'll be watching on average one a night, although there are a few selected dates that I will be watching about four or five films.

DVD-fanatic-9
09-27-2010, 10:40 PM
My Birthday is in the month, so I'm aiming for 6 a day for 30 days.

So, the total goal is 180.

Workshed
09-27-2010, 10:43 PM

Student or unemployed? Because that's really impressive. 9 hours of film a day, holy smokes.

old-boo-radley
09-27-2010, 10:55 PM
I'm gunning for 31 for sure, but there's a spot for 100 in the back of my mind, depending on how things go. If I devote most of my free time to it, I could get there, plus knock out a bunch of the thousand horror films I own but haven't seen.

f.ramses
09-27-2010, 11:22 PM
At least 31, hopefully 62.

spawningblue
09-27-2010, 11:24 PM
2008 I watched 31
2009 - 38!!
2010 - 40-50?

October 1st can't come soon enough!! I have been looking forward to this and thinking of double or triple features to pull off for weeks now. I know, you can watch horror movies at any time, but there is something about October and the Fall season that makes it that much more exciting. That and most importantly, my girlfriend will watch horror movies in Oct. (She knows that's all that goes in our player in the month of Oct.) and friends that aren't normally horror buffs also come over and watch them.

As for my goal this year... it looks like I have been watching more and more each year so this year I am aiming to get through at least 40-50. It's weird because each year it seems like I'm busier and busier and have less time for movie watching. I guess staying up late and watching three movies in a row probably makes up for it.

I plan on watching more favorites this year as, as last year I only got in a few and watched mostly movies I had never seen. Didn't even watch any of the Halloween movies last year other then the remake or other classics like Suspiria, so that is something I'll have to fix this year.

bigwes15
09-27-2010, 11:26 PM
I am not going on the week long trip this October that usually messes up my schedule, so for the first time I am shooting for 50!!! There may have to be some TV episode collections factored in there somehow though, as I know I will be watching some Ghost Hunters episodes, some of the Twilight Zone Blu-ray season 1, and I plan on busting out my Night Gallery Volume 1. I may Netflix some Friday the 13th Season 2 and Tales From the Darkside discs as well. So many things to choose from that I haven't seen yet along with the customary selections from classic favorites- I can't wait!!

DVD-fanatic-9
09-27-2010, 11:42 PM
Student or unemployed? Because that's really impressive. 9 hours of film a day, holy smokes.
Actually, I'm leaving my job at the end of the year for a move. But I still have the same one I've had all these years at HD and work in a building with offices. I can get through 2 movies in the conference room when I'm not working. Plus, I work at night instead of during the day and I barely sleep.

But, I failed both 2008 and 2009 Horror-Digital October month marathons within the first 9 days because I got distracted and I'm incredibly anal about being able to concentrate. If I can't give almost all the movies the same attention, I bail. So it doesn't matter how much time I've had. This year, I'm going to do this right if it kills me (which should probably make Fistfuck pretty happy).

But I've got a new tactic this year... Chronological order! I actually did a days-long marathon back in 2000 or something and the thing that made that work seemed to be chronological order.

I think my 2008 total was 37 (in... 9 days). 2009... less than 20, I think.

Workshed
09-27-2010, 11:46 PM
Actually, I'm leaving my job at the end of the year for a move. But I still have the same one I've had all these years at HD and work in a building with offices. I can get through 2 movies in the conference room when I'm not working. Plus, I work at night instead of during the day and I barely sleep.

But, I failed both 2008 and 2009 Horror-Digital October month marathons within the first 9 days because I got distracted and I'm incredibly anal about being able to concentrate. If I can't give almost all the movies the same attention, I bail. So it doesn't matter how much time I've had. This year, I'm going to do this right if it kills me (which should probably make Fistfuck pretty happy).

But I've got a new tactic this year... Chronological order! I actually did a days-long marathon back in 2000 or something and the thing that made that work seemed to be chronological order.

I think my 2008 total was 37 (in... 9 days). 2009... less than 20, I think.

I don't know how you guys do it. If I watch a double-feature, I'm done. My brain will have had enough, and I have to change scenes or sleep. If I try for a triple feature, I inevitably end up in bed or horizontal on the couch.

Do you load up on caffeine? Snacks? How do you stay motivated and engaged?

Kim Bruun
09-27-2010, 11:51 PM
Somewhere between 6-10 and 11-15. I LOVE the horror genre, but but I like to let my scare-o-meter reset itself, at least between the more shock and suspense driven horror movies. 30+ horror movies in 31 days would probably suck the fun out of it for me. Plus, October is the month where the amateur theatre group I'm a part of starts up again (which means partying!), so there won't be time to O.D. on horror. :)

Copyboy
09-28-2010, 12:20 AM
I went with 11-15. I would love to do one a day through October, but realistically that will never happen.

msw7
09-28-2010, 02:31 AM
I hope for 25-30, but we'll see how busy I am at work...

Katatonia
09-28-2010, 02:33 AM
Hopefully 31-40, but Horror films are of course not all I watch...

dave13
09-28-2010, 02:44 AM

i think we went over this last year, but that is insane!...in a good way.

i try to hit at least a film a day (according to my movie tracker, im more or less there). but i can't bring myself to watch exclusively horror, even in october. I said 11-15. if i hit more, then i'll be pleasantly surprised.

TheDreamMaster
09-28-2010, 03:51 AM
I was unemployed last year and managed 152, I think. This year, I don't have that same problem (or luxury, depending on how you look at it ;)), so I'm gunning for something more realistic. 31 is a minimum...hoping to get at least twice that, and anything beyond is gravy.

maskull
09-28-2010, 04:31 AM
Last year i did 103 but I'll do better this year. :)

shithead
09-28-2010, 04:55 AM
As many as I can, but realistically....probably around 21-25. I'm going to try my best to do 1 a day though.

I don't know how some of you can watch 4 or 5 a day, I couldn't sit still for that long.

Hellbilly
09-28-2010, 06:06 AM
I don't know how you guys do it. If I watch a double-feature, I'm done. My brain will have had enough, and I have to change scenes or sleep. If I try for a triple feature, I inevitably end up in bed or horizontal on the couch.

All it takes is a little enthusiasm and good planning. When I did the 1950s Sci-Fi & Horror Marathon (http://www.horrordigital.com/vb3forum/showpost.php?p=614316&postcount=233) consisting of six movies during my October viewings last year I made sure to include breaks.
The first three I did in one sitting which wasn't much of a problem because of the movies short running time. After the third I did 30 minute breaks between each feature so I could stretch out a little, or cook me a quick warm meal or whatever.
Other than that I had snacks and beverages within reach and no trouble whatsoever to stay motivated :)

Slackjaw83
09-28-2010, 06:22 AM
I'm shooting for 31 this year, but due to losing 2 weekends in october (fall festival in my hometown the 2nd weekend, and my best friend getting married on the 3rd weekend), it's going to mean doubling up. I actually got a jump start this year and figured I'd start watching this week, but they'll only go in the "unofficial" tally, lol.

The wife and I are throwing a Halloween party on the 30th, so I'm hoping to get 15 hours worth of horror fliks, halloween specials, and shorts during said party, which should be a trip.

DVD-fanatic-9
09-28-2010, 10:36 AM

Good question... I don't know. I think I zone out. If I'm doing it right, I zone out of my body and the stuff around me. I'm good at holding other things off for 3 hours and still getting them done within the day. But, I can't watch more than 3 movies in a row. If I was able to do that, I could probably cram 7 whole movies plus some TV in a day.

For me though, eating very little keeps me awake longer. For the most part, I just don't think about it. And I do well... as long as I don't hear fucking people making a lot of noise outside or in the hallways (which has always been the killer of these attempts). Or other people's music. I can't always just crank up the volume and bass because my speakers are old and/or stubborn. Tried that last year and the speakers started scratching terribly during the climax of Fulci's City of the Living Dead.

i think we went over this last year, but that is insane!...in a good way.

i try to hit at least a film a day (according to my movie tracker, im more or less there). but i can't bring myself to watch exclusively horror, even in october. I said 11-15. if i hit more, then i'll be pleasantly surprised.
This year I've been watching very little horror hoping that would help. And I think it will. My whole thing is I really plan out what kinds of movies will be on the day. And how I'm building up to the serious classics on the last week of the month, movies with the best atmosphere and creepiness.

I guess my idea of diversifying selection is to pepper the days with Tales from the Crypt or Masters of Horror episodes, plus some Halloween specials if I finally get The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown DVD or The Rocky Horror Picture Show and then watch Little Shop of Horrors to even the tone. But, I think the movies themselves are of such different types and so many different personalities of the people who made them, etc. That you're only going to get bored if you never see more than just the onscreen action. Person doing blank before killer/monster comes in and attacks them, etc.

addicted2dvd
09-28-2010, 02:54 PM
I don't know if I can do it... but I am going to attempt to beat my personal best. Which was 2 years ago when I watched...

Movies: 100
TV Episodes (Horror or Halloween eps.): 45
Other (Shorts and such): 4

So my goal is anything above that for all three categories.

Workshed
09-28-2010, 05:22 PM
All it takes is a little enthusiasm and good planning. When I did the 1950s Sci-Fi & Horror Marathon (http://www.horrordigital.com/vb3forum/showpost.php?p=614316&postcount=233) consisting of six movies during my October viewings last year I made sure to include breaks.
The first three I did in one sitting which wasn't much of a problem because of the movies short running time. After the third I did 30 minute breaks between each feature so I could stretch out a little, or cook me a quick warm meal or whatever.
Other than that I had snacks and beverages within reach and no trouble whatsoever to stay motivated :)

Sounds awesome. I always eat my snacks within the first 30 mins.

Fistfuck
09-28-2010, 05:29 PM
This year, I'm going to do this right if it kills me (which should probably make Fistfuck pretty happy).

I'd want nothing else any less. If you died, who would I pick on?

Angelman
09-28-2010, 06:39 PM
I'll be lucky if I squeeze in ten.

vampyr789
09-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Last year I watched about 40something movies. I'll be watching at least 31

CCF
09-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Aiming for 50 movies

rabidgoatboy
09-30-2010, 09:54 PM
I'm aiming for at least one a day. Although, I was able to comfortably cram 4 movies in this past Sunday and 2 every night this week. I should be able to get way more than that. I chose 41-50.

VincentPrice
10-01-2010, 04:48 AM
Aiming for 70+, I usually get to it pretty easy since I can go maybe a day or two, see a couple and then get in like 6, I usually save those days for huge franchise marathons (F13, Halloween, NOES).

3invertednines
10-01-2010, 02:58 PM
My movie watching time keeps getting later and later into the evening, so I'm good for about 45 minutes of viewing before I'm out cold. I'll shoot for 10-15.

crikan
10-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Last year I watched 19 movies in October (18 Horror). I’m really into Exploitation film right now so I plan to mix it up better this year. I’m going to shoot for watching 22 films (10 Horror). It could be tough since my KC Chiefs are playing well right now.

The problem I’m having is what films I should watch this month that I’ve already seen. I have more than 50 horror films on my stack that I’ve never seen, but I feel the urge to re-watch Halloween (1978), Halloween II (1981), Trick 'r Treat (2007), ROTLD (1985) and F13th P5 (1985).

maybrick
10-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Just got back from the video store and these are the films I'm going to be dipping into over the weekend:

Critters 2
The Lost Boys 2: The Tribe
Scanners III: The Takeover
The Off Season

Yesiree, it's the weekend of bad movie sequels to be sure! :lol:

DVD-fanatic-9
10-01-2010, 11:32 PM
The more times I watch Critters, the more I think Critters 2 is at the very least on-par with the original. And I'm surprised that the exploitation crowd are slinging jokes at it - it has more gore than the first, a lot more nudity, and... as much swearing? More? (Less?)

scott71670
10-02-2010, 04:12 AM
Last night watched a double of bill of Mad Ron's Preview and some cheesy German killer bee movie. Started it at midnight, finished up around 3:30 AM. My secret to staying awake- just start the treadmill in front of the TV at 3.3 miles an hour and see if you can get through them both... Am restarting my fitness regimen along with my Halloween watching! I find I can justify watching some really bad flicks all the way to the end if I know that I am also getting some fitness out of it. So I am thinking two films a day, one in the morning and one in the evening while on the treadmill, etc. So that's my Halloween schedule.

Franco
10-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Just between 1 and 5. I'd like to watch and buy much more but sadly too busy with job and university these days...

3invertednines
10-02-2010, 02:11 PM
My secret to staying awake- just start the treadmill in front of the TV

That's a great idea!

Silent Noize
10-04-2010, 08:36 PM
So, do you guys have it planed out ahead of time on what movies you'll be watching, or do you just pick movies randomly by the day?

I myself make a list of movies to watch (a schedule if you will) so everything is already pre-planed and ready to go.

zombi3
10-06-2010, 01:31 AM
I'll say 31-40. Planning on about 7 or 8 movies over the course of each weekend.

scott71670
10-06-2010, 02:07 AM
Watched Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 and Tuesday Weld in Rock, Rock, Rock this weekend. Also went to a gathering and caught Monster Club.

crikan
11-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Last year I watched 19 movies in October (18 Horror). Iím really into Exploitation film right now so I plan to mix it up better this year. Iím going to shoot for watching 22 films (10 Horror). It could be tough since my KC Chiefs are playing well right now.

The problem Iím having is what films I should watch this month that Iíve already seen. I have more than 50 horror films on my stack that Iíve never seen, but I feel the urge to re-watch Halloween (1978), Halloween II (1981), Trick 'r Treat (2007), ROTLD (1985) and F13th P5 (1985).

It looks like I did better than I thought I would. Watched 30 movies (18 horror). More importantly I watched the entire Psycho series for the first time. It was fantastic. I'll probably go with The Amityville Horror or The Exorcist next year.

spawningblue
11-03-2010, 11:04 PM
2008 I watched 31
2009 - 38!!
2010 - 40-50?

October 1st can't come soon enough!! I have been looking forward to this and thinking of double or triple features to pull off for weeks now. I know, you can watch horror movies at any time, but there is something about October and the Fall season that makes it that much more exciting. That and most importantly, my girlfriend will watch horror movies in Oct. (She knows that's all that goes in our player in the month of Oct.) and friends that aren't normally horror buffs also come over and watch them.

As for my goal this year... it looks like I have been watching more and more each year so this year I am aiming to get through at least 40-50. It's weird because each year it seems like I'm busier and busier and have less time for movie watching. I guess staying up late and watching three movies in a row probably makes up for it.

I plan on watching more favorites this year as, as last year I only got in a few and watched mostly movies I had never seen. Didn't even watch any of the Halloween movies last year other then the remake or other classics like Suspiria, so that is something I'll have to fix this year.

I already posted this in the Movie Watching thread but what the hell.

Total Films Watched This Month: 41
Total TV Episode Watched This Month: 17

I didn't end up watching quite as many movies as I hoped to, but considering it was a crazy month and the fact that I could barely stay up past 11 on most days, I would say I did pretty good. Most importantly though I beat last year's record of 39!

This year I made sure to get some of my favourites in as opposed to just watching movies from my unwatched pile, as I ended up not getting to a lot of them last year. Again though, there were still a few that I wanted to watch but just ran out of time. I did manage to watch quite a few flicks for the first time though, and these were the titles that really stood out for me.

The Horror of Dracula (1958)
Girls Nite Out (1984)
The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
The Wolfman (2010)
One Dark Night (1983)
Slumber Party Massacre (1982)
The Mummy (1959)

Honorable mention since it was so damn bad but also so damn fun goes to...

Howling 2: Your Sister Is a Werewolf (1985)