PDA

View Full Version : Chunkblower's Halloween Top Ten 2010

Chunkblower
10-08-2010, 11:12 AM
There are a lot of classy horror films out there that will help enrich your understanding of the genre, or even the medium of film itself. You’re not going to find too many of those films on my list. Like the kids knocking door-to-door, I prefer my Halloween to be loaded with sweet junk that will rot your teeth.
http://horrordigital.com/topten/topten_c.jpg

There are a lot of classy horror films out there that will help enrich your understanding of the genre, or even the medium of film itself. You’re not going to find too many of those films on my list. Like the kids knocking door-to-door, I prefer my Halloween to be loaded with sweet junk that will rot your teeth. Halloween is the one night a year where you can eat garbage, stay all night and dress like a tramp and nobody will think twice about it. Take advantage of it! Here’s a selection of films (and a TV show) that never fail to satisfy my Halloween sweet tooth.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/pictures/crealghost.jpg

10. The Real Ghostbusters, Season 1, Episode 8- “When Halloween Was Forever” (1986)

If, like me, you were a child of the 80’s then you were undoubtedly a Ghostbusters fan. And if you watched the animated series, you were undoubtedly creeped out by the wheezy-voiced, pumpkin-headed Samhain (in this instance, incorrectly pronounced phonetically) and his plan to plunge the world into perpetual All Hallow’s Eve (would that really be such a bad thing?). This silly cartoon doesn’t pack a punch any more but it’s a fun and nostalgic look back to the days when I could still be scared by something as innocuous as a Saturday morning cartoon.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/pictures/clord.jpg

9. Lord of Illusions - The Director's Cut (1995)

While not a prolific as his contemporary, Stephen King, Clive Barker has still left an indelible mark on the horror genre. His directorial efforts weren’t quite as hair-raising as his printed fiction but his last film (to date) as director is arguably his best. A slick fusion of horror and noir elements, Lord of Illusions is able to generate genuine scares even in scenes set in broad daylight, like the fantastic opening sequence in the Mojave Desert. The scene where evil magician Nix is “sealed” haunted my dreams for years after I first saw it.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/pictures/clight.jpg

8. Lightning Bug (2004)

Not a horror film – the film has monsters, but they’re the entirely human type-but a coming of age drama centred on a young horror fan, Green Graves (Brett Harrison), with a prodigious talent for gory make up effects. When he’s not facing down the prejudices of the podunk townsfolk, he’s avoiding abuse at the hands of his brutal stepfather. Make-up artist Robert Hall makes his directorial debut with this funny, sensitive and very moving drama. Lightning Bug touches a very special place in my heart every time I watch it.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/pictures/chunger.jpg

7. The Hunger (1983)

Master auteur Tony Scott’s largely ignored debut film remains one of his best: an exercise in cool, Euro trash style that plays almost like a throwback to the silent era. Catherine Deneuve, pushing forty at the time and still looking extremely hot doing so, plays Miriam Blaylock (The Omen homage, perhaps?) queen of vampires, cursed with having to watch as her mortal lovers wither away before her eyes. After boxing up last lover David Bowie, she sets her sights on researcher Susan Sarandon, who just happens to be looking for a way to unlock the secrets of the internal biological clock. Atmospheric, with a crazy awesome opening credit sequence, The Hunger gets my vote for best modern vampire film.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/n-z/poltergeist/poltergeist_fronts.jpg

6. Poltergeist (1982)

Every now and then a big studio production manages to get it right. In this case, it’s MGM and Steven Spielberg and boy, did they ever get it right (don’t even try and convince me that Tobe Hooper directed this; I’m not buying it). Fantastic effects that are almost always in service of the story -the end gets a bit over indulgent with the pyrotechnics, but at that point I’m willing to go with it. The Freelings are a believable and likable suburban family and we’re given the opportunity to get to know them before the majority of the ghostly business begins. I’ve grown less enchanted with the majority Spielberg’s work over the years, but Poltergeist remains a favourite film around Halloween time.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/pictures/pumpkin.jpg

5. Pumpkinhead (1988)

The late, great Stan Winston’s directorial debut is light on story but heavy on atmosphere. Genre great Lance Henriksen plays the proprietor of a roadside grocery store who enlists the help of a witch to get revenge on the city slickers who accidentally killed his son. The film is beautifully shot, the eponymous creature is one the great monsters to come out of the 80’s, the cast, which includes TV’s Blossom and Baby Superman, is uniformly great . Though the premise sounds like a brutal revenge drama, there’s actually very little on screen gore. The second half of the film is still intense and scary, nonetheless.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/cs2/cs2_fs.jpg

4. Creepshow 2 (1987)

The first Creepshow is hands down a better movie but for unintentional laughs, 2 is the go-to guy. I’m not sure what I like more: the clichéd crappiness of the stories, the low rent special effects or seeing respected character actors slumming amongst the ridiculousness. My favourite has got to be Old Chief Wood’nhead: so slow and talky and totally lame both in concept and execution. At least The Raft has the isolated wilderness milieu and The Hitchhiker has “THANKS FOR THE RIDE, LADY!” Everything about the whole movie just screams late 80's New World awesomeness. Just talking about it makes me want to watch it again.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/pictures/ctrick.jpg

3. Trick or Treat (1986)

Only really tangentially related to the holiday from which it derives its name, Charles Martin Smith’s gem is still a fantastic portrait of high school angst. Marc Singer is totally sympathetic and entirely believable as a put upon high school metalhead who calls on the spirit of his favourite, recently deceased, rock star to help him get revenge on the bullies tormenting him. Trick or Treat has a killer soundtrack courtesy of Fastaway, as well as cameos from rock legends Gene Simmons and Ozzy Osbourne.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/n-z/ps2/ps2_fs.jpg

2. Pet Sematary Two (1992)

There are few films that evoke a sense of autumn as well as Mary Lambert’s underappreciated sequel does. Whether Chase is dropping Jeff off at school or Clyde is telling a ghost story around a campfire in the titular location, the film drips with Halloween atmosphere. The first film was a pretty lifeless affair but part Two positively crackles with energetic direction, baroque visuals, a hellaciously entertaining performance from Clancy Brown and a truly Grand Guignol sensibility that few films ever strive for, much less achieve.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/h5divimax/h5divimax_fronts.jpg

1. Halloween 5: The REvenge of Michael Myers (1989)

COO-KIE...WO-MAN! The most underrated of the original series contains plenty of cringe worthy moments (Keystone Cops, anyone?), but still boasts some of the best set pieces since the original: Jamie stalked in the basement of the children’s clinic, the chase at the Tower Farm and the laundry chute sequence, among others. It also has a legitimately awesome performance from budding scream queen, and future hottie, Danielle Harris, Donald Pleasance’s campy histrionics, fantastic cinematography by Robert Draper and a viciously effective title sequence. There’s no denying the superiority of the first film but you can no longer resist the awesomeness that is Halloween 5. Submit.

3invertednines
10-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Nice list. Glad to see someone not afraid to include Trick or Treat; I love that movie and the soundtrack :D

The Hitchhiker from Creepshow 2 was filmed in my town, so I've always liked that as well.

spawningblue
10-08-2010, 07:53 PM
Awesome list! Glad to see someone else enjoy Halloween 5. It has a lot against it, but I agree, it is great in evoking that Fall/ Halloween feel.

DVD-fanatic-9
10-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Great to see some love for The Hunger, but - though I'd never question Ghostbusters or Poltergeist - huge uh-uh on Lord of Illusions, Halloween 5, and Pet Sematary Two. Also, Pumpkinhead is overrated if anything.

Egg_Shen
10-09-2010, 03:21 PM
huge uh-uh on Lord of Illusions, Halloween 5, and Pet Sematary Two. Also, Pumpkinhead is overrated if anything.

Nah, Halloween 5 is pretty good. I don't know if it's #1 good for me, but of all the sequels it's probably my favorite.

indrid13
10-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Awesome top ten list! great to see the Lord of Illusions and Halloween 5 get love!

rhett
10-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Great to see some love for The Hunger, but - though I'd never question Ghostbusters or Poltergeist - huge uh-uh on Lord of Illusions, Halloween 5, and Pet Sematary Two. Also, Pumpkinhead is overrated if anything.

I think I understand what you're saying, but what exactly is an "uh-uh"? I tried saying it aloud in a huge fashion, and it didn't work for me. Is it more like "uh-oh"? Or more like a condescending kind of stare down "uh huh"?

vampyr789
10-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Halloween 5!
I always had a soft spot for that one! :D
Poltergiest is an old favorite, one of the first horror movies I ever saw as a child.

Jason25
10-10-2010, 09:39 PM
There is absolutely, no way ever, that Pet Sematary 2 is a better film than the first Pet Sematary film. The first film, all the way around, is superior. Direction, story, score, gore, all are vastly superior in the first film. I think it is great to post lists but seriously I can't for one second think that someone actually believes what I just read regards to this subject.

Plus Halloween 5 a number 1 pick? WOW!

rhett
10-10-2010, 10:16 PM
Pet Sematary Two goes far more over the top than the original, you can't really compare the two head on. In ways, I like the severity of the first film and some of the dark places it goes, but at the same time there are some crazy moments with Clancy Brown in Two and all that film set camp that makes it fun. Apples and oranges!

Chunkblower
10-10-2010, 11:11 PM
There is absolutely, no way ever, that Pet Sematary 2 is a better film than the first Pet Sematary film.

It is to me and for me, and I'm the only person for whom I presume to speak. Even then it's not a case of part Two being being "better" than the first, in an empirical sense of the word, but it being more enjoyable to me.

That's what makes it my top ten, and not yours.

Jason25
10-10-2010, 11:27 PM
It is to me and for me, and I'm the only person for whom I presume to speak. Even then it's not a case of part Two being being "better" than the first, in an empirical sense of the word, but it being more enjoyable to me.

That's what makes it my top ten, and not yours.

I certainly can voice my opinion as well on your top ten, no?

I stand by my comments on your choice and subsequent comments on your number 2 pick as well as your number 1 pick.

Chunkblower
10-10-2010, 11:39 PM
I certainly can voice my opinion as well on your top ten, no?

Absolutely. I don't mind people disagreeing with me and, in this case, I fully expected it. It's only when those comments are laced with innuendo that I take issue.

Jason25
10-10-2010, 11:53 PM
Absolutely. I don't mind people disagreeing with me and, in this case, I fully expected it. It's only when those comments are laced with innuendo that I take issue.

Laced with innuendo? No, just call them like I see them. Didn't realize people were so fragile. Movies are for entertainment. Discussion of them can be thought provoking but to suggest motives or innuendo is the intent is absurd. Have fun with your films, glad to you enjoy what you do. No need to take heart with someone who sees things differently.

Chunkblower
10-11-2010, 12:16 AM
Whatever you say.

SaviniFan
10-11-2010, 12:41 AM
I can only side with Jason25 on this list. While I find it refreshing that someone's list isn't completely laced with the same old "Dawn of the Dead" or "Exorcist" films, I have to honestly say this is the most underwhelming list I may have laid eyes on. These were thoughts that entered my mind when it was first posted, not because of Jason25's opinion.

Chunkblower
10-11-2010, 01:09 AM
Not to belabor the point or prolong an argument, but the the sake of clarity: I have absolutely no problem with anyone who disagrees with any (or all) of my choices or anyone who flat-out hates my list. I welcome constructive feedback. I do, however, have a problem with statements like this:

I think it is great to post lists but seriously I can't for one second think that someone actually believes what I just read regards to this subject.

which cast dispersions not on the list itself, or any of the choices contained therein, but on the person who wrote it.

evildeadfan123
10-11-2010, 07:45 PM
On Trick or Treat, it was not Marc Singer who played Ragman, it was Marc Price.

j tea
10-11-2010, 08:45 PM
I thought your list was interesting! I know people definitely have their favorites for a reason. Sometimes I like one film better because I saw it first even if it was a clone of another one or a lesser entry in a series.

Mok
10-13-2010, 02:53 PM
Nice to see Lord of Illusions get some love. I need to watch that one again. I DID just watch H5 again recently. I keep flip flopping on that one. Sometimes I think it's a hidden gem, sometimes I just don't buy it. It's a strange one for me.

EDIT: Just read over the Pet Sematary 2 debate. That one never stood out for me either, but what I love is that some films hold their own special place with certain people. I've shown Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things to a few different folks who all think I'm a lamo for loving it. Growing up I tried to dismiss Bram Stoker's Dracula as an over-stylized mess, but after hearing much praise and re-watching it, it's become arguable my favorite of all time. Chunkblower mentioned the Halloween atmosphere in PS2 which is something I completely overlooked. I'll be giving it another chance based on his recommendation. I think that's what's cool about sharing opinion and these lists in particular.

Workshed
10-13-2010, 06:01 PM
Love that you included a Ghostbusters episode in your list. That's what these are for. We've all seen Dawn of the Dead and Evil Dead, etc., so it never hurts to drop in some weirdness.

The Pet Sematary 2 recommendation did throw me, however, as did your assessment of the first film: The first film was a pretty lifeless affair but part Two positively crackles with energetic direction, baroque visuals, a hellaciously entertaining performance...

The book is one of the most effective King novels, and I think the film adaptation does fairly well by it, with a sure sense of "creep," from the dead boy who serves as Louis' spirit guide (great makeup, too) to that wrenching funeral scene. Plus, we get a stellar, campy performance by Herman Munster. (Also on the positive side: no Edward Furlong.)

Yet, I have to admit that it's been almost 20 years (!) since I saw Part 2, so I've bumped it up in my queue to give it another shot.

Fistfuck
10-13-2010, 06:14 PM
Ugh, where to begin.

First, dvd-fanatic-9, you continue to amaze with your steadfast presumption that your opinion is the end-all, be-all gospel on all things cinematic. For your everlasting gumption, I applaud you.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f223/kromproductions/applause.gif

Second, "unh-uh" is a negative reply, a way of saying "no."
"Uh-uh" means absolutely nothing. One could say "Uh, uh..." signifying a stammering or unassuredness.
"Hunh" signifies amazement, bewilderment, or confusing.
"Huh" is a questioning, and should be followed by a "?."
An "aspersion" is an attack or accusation of something. "Dispersion" is the act of spreading something around.

Third, Chunkblower, I really don't see where you need to defend or accept criticism of your, YOUR, yearly top ten list. This isn't a debate, it's not your attempt to define the ten critical films you MUST watch this Halloween. A number of the members who have replied here have been dicks about it and you're within your rights to tell them all to blow it out their ass.

Hatchetwarrior
10-13-2010, 10:31 PM
First, dvd-fanatic-9, you continue to amaze with your steadfast presumption that your opinion is the end-all, be-all gospel on all things cinematic. For your everlasting gumption, I applaud you.

Third, Chunkblower, I really don't see where you need to defend or accept criticism of your, YOUR, yearly top ten list. This isn't a debate, it's not your attempt to define the ten critical films you MUST watch this Halloween. A number of the members who have replied here have been dicks about it and you're within your rights to tell them all to blow it out their ass.

My thoughts exactly. Fistfuck FTW! :banana:

Workshed
10-13-2010, 10:58 PM
Just to be clear, because I feel like my post was misconstrued:

I hate Pet Sematary 2, I hate Edward Furlong, and, most of all, I hate Chunkblower. I hate him, I hate him!

spawningblue
10-13-2010, 11:08 PM
Ugh, where to begin.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f223/kromproductions/applause.gif

Second, "unh-uh" is a negative reply, a way of saying "no."
"Uh-uh" means absolutely nothing. One could say "Uh, uh..." signifying a stammering or unassuredness.
"Hunh" signifies amazement, bewilderment, or confusing.
"Huh" is a questioning, and should be followed by a "?."

My thoughts exactly. Fistfuck FTW! :banana:

Agreed. I love your list and I get why you chose some of these movies, as they all really evoke that Fall/ Halloween feel. I need to give Pet Semetary 2 a re-watch as I haven't seen it since I was younger and didn't really care for it then. Mind you, I wasn't into horror movies and my tastes have changed quite a lot. And I get what you are saying, I liked the first Pet Semetary but it was really dark and kind of depressing. If the second movie is more fun I get why you would choose it.

Mok
10-14-2010, 02:47 PM
This is awesome :lol:

X-human
10-17-2010, 02:01 AM

What the hell are you talking about? Ghostbusters cartoon in a top 10? The Hunger is a huge unh-uh and Poltergeist is so overrated if anything.

Wow. Can't believe how absolutely wrong you are on all of this. You should apologize to Chunkblower for telling him the wrong things were right and right things are wrong. You have no clue on how to properly tell what's wrong on the internet. I'm calling your ISP.

Pfft.

Mok
10-18-2010, 03:10 PM
My wife and I carved a pumpkin yesterday for our scarecrow outside while we watched Pet Sematary II. It WAS a little better than I remembered it to be and Clancy alone is worth the repeat viewing. Good times. :)

BrokeNads
10-20-2010, 03:52 AM
Creepshow 2 is bad movie I like only some the raft because the guy go for the tits and kill the girlfriend. To show nudity for make you start to enjoy the tits and then comes the murder. Very good director.
I like Lord of illusion also is good.
Punpkinhead is not good for me. Halloween 5 is ok movie. I like to see Halloween 1 +2 together and 4+ 5 to see together also. Is like to see the big movie.

Workshed
10-20-2010, 06:21 AM
To show nudity for make you start to enjoy the tits and then comes the murder. Very good director.

http://actionflickchick.com/superaction/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/troll2.jpg

indiephantom
10-20-2010, 06:45 PM
I love the list! I need to watch so many of these again soon. Is that DVD of Trick 'r Treat decent enough? I would love for that film to show up on Netflix or something. Need to see it again.

nightmare5fan
11-02-2010, 04:28 AM
I remember getting scared (as a child) with some of the Ghostbusters episodes, haha, and even with some of the Scooby Doo's creatures. Lord of Illusions was one of the first dvds I ever bought but haven't watched it in years. It's also great to see some Halloween 5 loving (I always have a soft spot for number 5s in any series...except Leprechaun, I guess). Danielle Harris is soooo endearing in that one, and also that girl who plays Tina. The car chase in the bushes is pretty intense.

Fistfuck
12-19-2010, 04:14 AM
To show nudity for make you start to enjoy the tits and then comes the murder. Very good director.
I like Lord of illusion also is good.

http://actionflickchick.com/superaction/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/troll2.jpg

Thread revival.

Can I nominate this for Post of the Year?