PDA

View Full Version : Evil Dead Ratio

rhett
10-14-2010, 10:13 AM
The debate regarding THE EVIL DEAD has never been whether or not to watch the film, but instead what version of the film to watch. Some prefer the 1.33:1 open matte version, which represents the original 16mm shooting ratio and the ratio in which the film was first screened during the premiere in Michigan and then later on VHS where it built its following. Others prefer the theatrical 1.85:1 ratio that Raimi claims was always the intended aspect ratio of the film.

There are screenshots aplenty in our Blu-ray review (http://horrordigital.com/viewarticle.php?articleid=863) of the film...look 'em over and decide: What's your preferred aspect ratio for THE EVIL DEAD?

Chunkblower
10-14-2010, 10:38 AM
I have to give the edge to the 1.85 version. It gives it a more cinematic feel.

Glad both versions are included on the DVD/Blu-ray, though.

Hellbilly
10-14-2010, 10:44 AM
What Chunkblower said.

evildeadfan123
10-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Hard to decide, but I'm such a huge fan of Evil Dead, that either version is fine with me. One viewing I might go with the Full Screen version, and the next viewing, I might want to go with the Widescreen version, but I am glad that it is available on the Ultimate Edition DVD.

SaxCatz
10-14-2010, 02:30 PM
I prefer 1.33:1. And that is surprising since I generally detest full frame presentations- even open matte ones.
For one, the Blu certainly looks sharper in this aspect ratio as there isn't that much resolution available in the 16mm film and this ratio allow us to make the best use of all of the available resolution rather than cropping off 33% of the films resolution and the stretching it to an even larger size.
Secondly, I don't believe that 1.85:1 was Raimi's intended aspect ratio. After seeing some of the odd cropping (tops of heads cut off, etc) in the original 1.85:1 transfer (admittedly, the new 1.85:1 transfer is superior), I believe that this is Raimi retroactively "Lucas"-ing his film.

X-human
10-14-2010, 04:28 PM
1.33:1.

It's easy to say perhaps their inexperience, budget and time constraints caused the framing to fall out of the intended 1.85:1 but the open matte frame is perhaps the best full screen framing I have seen in modern cinema. So I really can't explain why 1.33:1 is artistically better looking to me when that apparently wasn't their intention. Happy accident?

All this reminded me about the press release (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/302014/anchor-bay-press-release-the-evil-dead-blu-ray) for the Blu-ray which states, "two all-new 1080p anamorphic transfers in 1.85 and the original director-composed 1.33 aspect ratio, have been prepared and personally supervised by director/writer Raimi." While it's tricky wording it does infer that 1.33:1 was a conscious composition. While I won't claim to know what Raimi truly did, I'll say that he's not making it easy to tell.

Nailwraps
10-14-2010, 04:45 PM
1.33:1, as it was shot and intended for.

Anaestheus
10-14-2010, 05:57 PM
I've always preferred the 1.33. Got me three reasons here:

1. Overall, I think the framing for the 1.33 version looks better. Yes there are some shots that are composed more nicely in the 1.85 version, but I think there more succeed with the 1.33

2. Since my first exposure to the film was via videotape, that is how I remember the film from my youth, so nostalgia has a bit of a pull. And, while I normally stick by theatrical release as definitive, I think I could make a strong argument that this particular film's life really began on VHS.

3. A large part of ED's initial charm for me was seeing things like the crappy matte shots for the moon, the crew hiding behind the bushes, and the lighting rigs in the ceiling. So, to me, anything that diminishes those "rough spots" takes a bit of the charm of the film away.

maybrick
10-14-2010, 07:55 PM
Evil Dead was released simultaneously on video and to theaters, so BOTH ratios are correct.

Honestly, I'm not all that vigilant about proper aspect ratios anymore. As long as it isn't a distraction while I'm watching the film (like cutting heads off or squeeze boxing) I'm okay with a little alteration. The Evil Dead may have a few instances of heads being cut in half in widescreen, but I don't believe I've ever noticed it. I think the reason may be because a lot of those shots were close-ups, and are thus more forgivable than, say, something like Horror of Dracula where almost the entire film is in medium shot, and yet the heads are cut off in every single frame. THAT is when it becomes inexcusable, imho.

russweiss
10-14-2010, 11:38 PM
I'll take the film either way. I've seen the film twice in the theater but that was 27 years ago so I don't remember the framing. You certainly get more picture information on the full frame cut but that's not always a good thing. I enjoy the film enough that it really doesn't matter.

Jason Reynolds
10-14-2010, 11:54 PM
1.33 for me. That's the original way it was shown, regardless of if Raimi meant for it to be 1.85.

I'm more curious about the 3 people that voted they'd never seen it. You're on a Horror film site and you haven't seen Evil Dead? For shame! :)

othervoice1
10-15-2010, 12:38 AM
I like the widescreen - just my personal preference

msw7
10-15-2010, 01:29 AM
Doesn't matter - I enjoy it both ways.

Myron Breck
10-15-2010, 01:34 AM
It doesn't really matter to me, but I first saw it on VHS so Full Frame wins.

BrokeNads
10-15-2010, 01:42 AM
I see first in full tv so I think is good and then I see in widescreen and I cant see the water in the puddle. I think this is WTF! So I think now is fix this in the new widescreen bluray to put the correct to see the frame and inside and if is true I vote widescreen.
I come back to make posts because before I take away my time because I buy a house and I try to fix in up. I movie inside my new house halloween so is intrest for me. Good luck for me and a new house for me! Hello to the people if you remember me.

Katatonia
10-15-2010, 02:05 AM
I prefer watching it in Full Frame, but the Widescreen presentation on the Blu-ray looks quite awesome too.

msw7
10-15-2010, 02:30 AM
I see first in full tv so I think is good and then I see in widescreen and I cant see the water in the puddle. I think this is WTF! So I think now is fix this in the new widescreen bluray to put the correct to see the frame and inside and if is true I vote widescreen.
I come back to make posts because before I take away my time because I buy a house and I try to fix in up. I movie inside my new house halloween so is intrest for me. Good luck for me and a new house for me! Hello to the people if you remember me.

Congrats on your house!

Cujo108
10-15-2010, 02:53 AM
1.33:1

That's how I've always watched it, and why I kept my Elite DVD when I bought the Book of the Dead version. I got the latter simply for the BOD packaging, like most people I'd assume.

Mutilated Prey
10-15-2010, 03:00 AM
I'm used to the 1:33:1 from old cable and VHS days, but if I can get 1:85:1 I will always take it as long as nothing much important is cropped.

indiephantom
10-15-2010, 03:50 AM
In theatres I like the really wide 2.35:1 Scope stuff. But at home I prefer the 16:9 that fills the screen. It just looks amazing.

horrorlover
10-15-2010, 04:47 AM
I like the fullscreen. I got the Ultimate Edition dvd set, and I watched both, but the fullscreeen one looks better to me. I like to see the tops of peoples heads.

Zillamon51
10-15-2010, 05:00 AM
The widescreen version is director-approved, and I have a widescreen TV, so the fullscreen version is obsolete to me.

Paff
10-15-2010, 05:10 AM
You know, I get it. The widescreen version is a bit cramped at the top, and I don't believe that Sam Raimi composed it for the 1.85:1 screen (for a comparison, look at Stanley Kubrick's full-frame releases...while he may also "prefer" the 1.33:1 ratio, you can also see that he composed his shots so that they did not suffer from matting the way Evil Dead does)

But I ask one thing: If a theater near you was going to play a 35mm print of Evil Dead for a midnight show, how many of you would say "nah, it won't be the full-frame version I prefer"?

Erick H.
10-15-2010, 05:38 AM
Thankfully you can have your cake and eat it too with this new version.I've seen it both ways and it plays well either way.It's not as compromised in 1:33 as some other titles that have had considerable discussion over their intended ratios (like the original BLACK CHRISTMAS for one).In a theater I would want the wide version but at home,I'm easy,whatever strikes my fancy that night.

JGrendel
10-16-2010, 07:29 PM
I like the widescreen, that's just me. Cause once you go wide you can never go back.

SaxCatz
10-16-2010, 11:56 PM
...but the fullscreeen one looks better to me. I like to see the tops of peoples heads.

:lol:

Spit
10-18-2010, 07:47 PM
Theres people on here that havent seen Evil Dead? We should dump their books after class.

I suppose I prefer the full frame, it just feels more 80's.

DVD-fanatic-9
11-25-2010, 10:59 AM
I would really love a full frame print with a 5.1 track...

Either way, the full frame version is the one that used to scare me. But I don't think I like Anchor Bay's colors. I miss the print from the VHS I used to rent, so I really should have gotten the Elite disc when I had the chance.

If we've had to watch Basket Case, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, and Piranha in fullscreen for years, I don't know why anyone might complain about the film in fullscreen.

X-human
11-25-2010, 04:44 PM
^ Well now I wouldn't go that far. Evil Dead is a unique case where, either by design or divine, it seems much better to me at 1.33:1. 99.9% of all other films should be shown in their theatrical ratio. Another movie I think is an exception is Kubrick's The Shinning. The reason being that many shots are composed with the Outlook Hotel framing the shot in 1.33:1. Since for all intent and purpose the Outlook is a character of the film this gives it a much more effective composition.

DVD-fanatic-9
11-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Warner's widescreen 2-disc edition of The Shining is the only version of the movie I ever bought. Though I had heard it was a fullscreen film before I nabbed the set. I gather the audio is so good on this DVD that I wouldn't even want to get another. I'm still not the biggest fan of the film. But that new disc helped a lot. The audio is so frickin' sharp, I feel like it was touching me. That doesn't happen for other discs unless I turn the volume up incredibly loud.

But Warner's Twilight Zone: The Movie and Paramount's '09 disc of Friday the 13th Uncut had the same effect, so... it feels like DVD technology was just hitting its' peak about the time Blu-Ray came along. Now with Evil Dead on Blu-Ray, I believe HorrorDigital's review showed the fullscreen version is now a print looking more like Elite's disc? Good for Blu-Ray buyers, but I'm not there yet. I don't know why the 2007 Ultimate Edition's fullscreen has to look exactly the same as the widescreen print (colors, skin tones, etc) and we also only get a stereo track. (Cheapness, I guess.)

Ug.