PDA

View Full Version : Best of Scream New Wave Slashers

rhett
10-21-2010, 09:49 AM
With SCREAM 4 right around the corner, let's look back at the movie that started it all, or more specifically, the new wave of slashers it inspired. After SCREAM came a ton of hip, tongue-in-cheek, The WB-ish slashers aiming to cash in on the Wes Craven-Kevin Williamson breakout. Which of the pack is your favorite?

Luki
10-21-2010, 10:47 AM
Urban Legend for me. Love the music, the cast and gothic vibe some of the sets have. Too bad they shot the movie in summer when the script took place during winter.

Cujo108
10-21-2010, 12:23 PM
Valentine. It's the most reminiscent of the 80's slashers and a whole lot of fun.

SaviniFan
10-21-2010, 01:32 PM
Halloween H2O. Although not a great film by any stretch, at least it had Jamie back.

I personally hated Scream and all of the films it inspired. I think the 90's had some of the worst dreck in horror film history.

_pi_
10-21-2010, 01:42 PM
Valentine for me. Has the most replay value and there's just something special about it. I also love how it ends.

A close second would be I Know What You Did Last Summer. I still remember seeing that in the cinema and completely loving it. When I think about it nowadays, it's still a pretty classy, well-shot and tightly written slasher.

crikan
10-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Halloween: Resurrection. I know...everyone hates this one, but I had a lot of fun with it. Busta is annoying but his screen time can't be more than 5 minutes.

zompirejoe
10-21-2010, 02:49 PM
Bride Of Chucky is awesome ! It's a lot of fun, a pretty original sequel that more than keeps up with the original.

SaxCatz
10-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Halloween H20 for me. Its not as great film like the original or its first sequel as it has some failings, but it also has some great aspects. Of that list, the only other ones I enjoy are Urban Legend and Bride of Chucky. Both films are quite fun. The first I Know What You Did is a movie that I was fond of many years ago but have since developed a distaste for... same goes for Jason X... however, the sequel is rubbish. I haven't seen Valentine.

SickNick89
10-21-2010, 03:23 PM
H20. Definately hasn't aged well but in 1998 seeing Jamie Lee Curtis and Myers together again, hearing mr. sandman and the begining of the film and Michael getting his head cut off at the end all together gave me a horrorgasim.

bigdaddyhorse
10-21-2010, 04:19 PM
I hate going against Jason X as it's easily the funnest film on the list, but I think Urban Legend is the best on the list. Bride of Chucky gets honorable mention, but UL works on different levels and is tense in a few parts.

CPT HOOK
10-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Cherry Falls!

Honorable mention to Bride Of Chucky.

NightAndFog
10-21-2010, 05:36 PM
Bride Of Chucky was pretty funny, but man, talk about garbage movies! Those titles are just horrendous, pathetic excuses to cash-in

MorallySound
10-21-2010, 06:22 PM
I still haven't even seen the Scream franchise in full (Bits of part one, none of part 2, and all of part 3), and probably should do so before Part 4, but my favourite of the slashers it ushered in: I Know What You Did Last Summer.

DanceEnergy24
10-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Scream 2 is the best outta the series so far. The opening sequence, Sarah Michelle Gellar as Cici in the sorority house, Sydney and Hallie in the cop car and the surprise ending are great! I look forward to seeing Scream 4 but Syndey, Gale and Dewey better not die. LOL

Workshed
10-21-2010, 07:24 PM
IKWYDLS, because Type O plays in the opening credits. Otherwise, not many redeeming qualities in a lot of these--although, they can be mindless fun.

I'm unfamiliar w/ Cherry Falls, tho.

Mok
10-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Bride of Chucky :D

Hatchetwarrior
10-21-2010, 07:55 PM
I have a very love/hate relationship with the "New Wave" slasher films of the late 90's and early 2000', but here is how I would rank these from best to worst:

Jason X
Bride Of Chucky
Halloween: Resurrection
I Know What You Did Last Summer
Urban Legend
Valentine
Halloween H20
Cherry Falls
I Still Know What You Did Last Summer
Urban Legend: Final Cut

fattyjoe37
10-21-2010, 08:25 PM
Bride of Chucky is the only one of those I'd consider a solid movie. It's one of the best in the series.

spawningblue
10-21-2010, 09:25 PM
I went with H20. Although not one of the better sequels, it was still better then anything on that list (From what I've seen) and it was nice to see Jamie Lee going against Michael Myers one last time. The only other movies on that list that I don't mind are Urban Legend and Valentine. Again though, I haven't seen everything on their, and in the case of I Know... I haven't seen it in a long time, although I don't remember liking it too much. Resurrection and Jason X are just horrible! Jason X is the only Jason movie that I don't own, and I would rather watch just about any other slasher before it again.

Johnny Macabre
10-21-2010, 09:37 PM
I Know What You Did Last Summer!! If that movie had been made in 1982, it would be considered a classic!

Harry Warden
10-21-2010, 11:21 PM
I Know What You Did Last Summer...not overly gory but quite suspenseful and it has one of the greatest chase scenes in slasher history.

Copyboy
10-22-2010, 12:43 AM
Definitely I Know What You Did Last Summer! It's SO much better than the book on which it's based, it has a killer soundtrack, and Sarah Michelle . . . well, if you haven't seen it, do.

vampyr789
10-22-2010, 02:14 AM
Urban Legend for me. I remember renting that from Blockbuster when I was like 10 and seeing it and loving it. It's got an interesting plot with some cool deaths.
I Know What You Did Last Summer is veryyy close second, I've always liked that one too. I watch it every 4th of July :)

msw7
10-22-2010, 02:19 AM
Jason X by a pair of holographic campers over Bride of Chucky - both movies are great, and are the only two on the list that I liked at all.

shithead
10-22-2010, 04:06 AM
I'll go with Jason X.

I really dislike most of the other films on the list.

shape22
10-22-2010, 04:07 AM
Wow do I dislike most of these movies. For me this poll is like picking your preferred manner of death when the only choices are:

1) penile dismemberment
2) anal electrocution
3) smothering by having Jack Black sit on your face

Bride of Chucky for me.

othervoice1
10-22-2010, 04:13 AM
I have always really enjoyed I Know What You Did Last Summer- Urban Legend and H2O are right up there as well

maybrick
10-22-2010, 04:53 AM
Jason X, Bride of Chucky, and the Halloweens are merely continuations of much older series so even though they have elements in common with the Scream New Wave slasher films I'd personally put them in a different category. The nostalgia and familiarly of their main characters gives them an unfair advantage as far as this contest goes. Out of what's left I have to go with URBAN LEGEND. It's the only one out of the lot I could stand other than Scream back in the day.

Fistfuck
10-22-2010, 05:00 AM
IKWYDLS. Such a great flick with a ton of atmosphere. I think even more than Scream this film defined Gen Y slashers.

Dobby
10-22-2010, 08:00 AM
Cherry Falls for me really wish it had played theatrically.

Vortex
10-22-2010, 04:49 PM
Urban Legends: Final Cut

joltaddict
10-24-2010, 12:57 AM
Halloween Resurrection never happened. That movie does not exist. Sorry.

SHUT UP IT DOESNT EXIST!!!!

crikan
10-24-2010, 02:14 AM
WTF? I thought for sure I'd be the only vote for Halloween: Resurrection

JGrendel
10-25-2010, 04:31 AM
I usually go for anything Friday the 13thish but this time i had to vote for H20 mainly for the same reasons everyne else who likes the film does. It's the fight everyone's been waiting for, for the last 20 years Laurie vs Michael III. My only complaints were that John Carpenter should've come back to put an end to the series & the first ten minutes of resurrection should've been the epilogue of H20.

indiephantom
10-25-2010, 04:47 AM
Valentine Nowadays, I'm appreciating all of these more and more.

WesReviews
10-25-2010, 03:37 PM
Valentine for me, as well. I think over time, more fans will open up to it.

Nailwraps
10-25-2010, 05:38 PM
Halloween H20: 20 Years Later

bloodthrill
10-25-2010, 07:29 PM
I'd say Valentine,(if it were in its unseen-but-often-described uncut version,it would be a definite),with UL: Final Cut. Cherry Falls was fun,too.

I also dug UL:Bloody Mary's Hello Mary Lou throwback vibe (with the crazed 1950s/60s ghost harridan offing people creatively),though it was decidedly un-slasher-like. And the actual urban legend angle was completely unnecessary to the plot.

maskull
10-26-2010, 02:51 AM
Halloween: Resurrection. Busta is annoying but the actual story idea is kind of cool. Love how the people at the party a guiding the main girl away from Michael.

Almost voted for Jason X but H:R gets no love usually. Honourable mentions go to I Still Know What You Did Last Summer, Urban Legends: Final Cut and Cherry Falls.

Erick H.
10-26-2010, 08:43 AM
I'll go with URBAN LEGEND.It was actually an unproduced script from the 80's that was dusted off and tweaked.Some of the more serious 80's tone remains.

TheShape
10-26-2010, 03:30 PM
H20. Definately hasn't aged well but in 1998 seeing Jamie Lee Curtis and Myers together again, hearing mr. sandman and the begining of the film and Michael getting his head cut off at the end all together gave me a horrorgasim.

I agree. For me I was the perfect ending to the Halloween series. Too bad it was ruined by Halloween Ressurection. I can't believe that Jamie Lee Curtis agreed on this one. I prefer to ignore it. Just like I ignore everything that came after the first Highlander...

TheDreamMaster
10-26-2010, 04:09 PM
Had to go with Bride of Chucky. I enjoyed Valentine quite a bit too.

DVD-fanatic-9
11-25-2010, 10:34 AM
I personally hated Scream and all of the films it inspired. I think the 90's had some of the worst dreck in horror film history.
I agree it was a very weak decade when compared to the 70's. But I think the new millennium is far worse. At least the horror films of the 90's were actually easier to differentiate between one and another. This past decade, there's so much genre incest and factory-stamp sameness about every single thing released (especially post 2002). I guess this war between me and the people here who think the new millennium didn't suck for the genre is all about the attitudes of the films themselves. They don't like movies they think were pretending to be smart and I don't like movies that pretend to be horror.

I would vote Bride of Chucky but the dang pole is closed. Scream was a masterpiece and the thing that really made it special is exactly the kind of thing nobody noticed about it: it's dark sense of almost anarchic humor. It may have a reputation for "winking" at its' audience but a great deal of humor is to spite the characters. I still laugh at the ending and have an ear-to-ear smile that kills my face during the whole cheerleader scene. Bride of Chucky and Urban Legend were the only films that realized Scream's humor was more complex than some stupid college-kid hip dialogue. The Scream haters don't seem to realize that the film isn't necessarily glorifying this kind of thing. Or trying to be realistic. It takes liberties with characterization to make a point. It's a fucking brilliant film. About teenagers who mostly didn't watch horror movies. It's not about them knowing what people do in horror films, it's about us knowing what happens. The only things they remembered were "some guy in a white mask..." To them, it could have been any one, wielding anything sharp.

If only the last decade's Haute Tension's and The Descent's had been half as intelligent as Scream instead of just pretending to be intense, we wouldn't be just going through the motions like the genre is now.

Anyway, Bride gets my vote (symbolically) for it's highly progressive view on pop culture and the attitudes of the victims. Not to mention it really blew away the shitty Child's Play 2 and 3. It's also a lot smarter than the first film, if not technically as exciting. Though it's sure more flashy and has some very impressive scenes. Plus, the whole "Martha Stewart" thing was absolutely hilarious. It had a lot of resonance in the movie too since it was something of a domestic-harmony satire in several scenes.

As for Urban Legend, I just thought the movie wasn't afraid to be entertainingly bad. Instead of taking itself too seriously, like the Summer's did. And even though the murders kind of ripped off other movies (on the commentary they admit to copying Heathers and Pet Sematary), I thought there were some good ideas. Plus, I just can't say enough about Alicia Witt. Compared to Neve Campbell, Jennifer Love Hewitt, and Katherine Heigl in their movies, she isn't the type at all who can pull off moping around with her hair in her face- etc. The only one not trying to look sad.

I would really love to see Cherry Falls, but I have to see it uncut. I've heard legends about how insane it is and I can't wait to see what everyone else is talking about. Since the only companies in the U.S. to release it don't seem to give a shit about it, I don't see why an Anchor Bay or something like that couldn't nab the film and get it to us uncut.

As for Halloween H20... Well, I actually had to defend that film during my brief stint on the OHMB (that fucking place is sick- the biggest collection of anti-social degenerates I've ever come across in my life; it's moderated by a maniacal cretin and the administrator gives him the run of the place, I watched them tear nearly a dozen good people apart just for the fun of it). Not too many fans of it there. Here, people seem to like it more than I do. Is it the best film on the list? Hardly. Compared to Scream, you have to call it unoriginal. Compared to the previous sequels (especially 4 through 6), well- anyone could have made a superior film after that string of disasters (even Rob Zombie).

Jason X, Bride of Chucky, and the Halloweens are merely continuations of much older series so even though they have elements in common with the Scream New Wave slasher films I'd personally put them in a different category.
That's fair for you to say but I completely disagree. At least, as far as Bride of Chucky is concerned. The film really felt like it was re-introducing Chucky for the first time. Especially since it was very much like the producers, etc(.) gave Don Mancini a free pass to do whatever he wanted to. For a change- instead of changing all his better ideas. The first film was supposed to be something more than a few people chased by a killer doll but wasn't. Bride of Chucky was.

Valentine for me, as well. I think over time, more fans will open up to it.
I re-watched a couple minutes on YouTube a couple months ago and think it's actually getting worse as time passes.

Fistfuck
11-18-2011, 07:24 PM
All hail DVD-fanatic-9, king of the thread killers.

Anyway, going back through this thread, I'm shocked by the amount of love both Urban Legend and Valentine received. Urban Legend was a film I absolutely loved in the beginning and have since found very pedestrian, and Valentine was a film I saw in the theater, found utterly unremarkable, and have all but forgotten.

Is the film worth a second look?

DVD-fanatic-9
11-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Valentine is basically about how girls can be bigger douchebags than guys. An anti-chick flick approach to the last girl, heroine dominated horror / slashers of the time. If you want a bitchy 20-something soap opera mixed with quasi-Wild Things "everyone's dirty, so you can't beat 'em- join 'em" hijinks.