PDA

View Full Version : CONTEST #4: TALES from your Childhood

rhett
10-26-2010, 05:48 AM
For so many of us, horror was a big part of our childhood - staying up late to watch whatever scares were on cable or peering through the VHS tapes in the horror section at the rental store. Tell us your first or favorite childhood horror memory and you could win a DVD series no doubt exposed to many of us during our childhoods, TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE.[/b]
http://www.horrordigital.com/reviews/contests/om_dvd_con.jpg

For so many of us, horror was a big part of our childhood - staying up late to watch whatever scares were on cable, peering through the VHS tapes in the horror section at the rental store, buying tickets to THE LITTLE MERMAID and sneaking into DEEPSTAR SIX instead. Tell us your first or favorite childhood horror memory and you could win a DVD series no doubt exposed to many of us during our childhoods, TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE.

Make a single post in this tread telling us your first or favorite childhood horror memory and you'll be entered in a draw to win 1 of 3 copies of TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE: THE FINAL SEASON on DVD.

The contest runs for until Halloween night, Sunday, October 31st for our last October Madness hurrah.

Winners will be randomly selected based upon all the posts in this thread.

Let's hear it, horror fans...what is your first or favorite childhood horror memory?

Hellbilly
10-26-2010, 06:06 AM
One of my favorite childhood horror memory was setting up "camp" in the living room on Saturdays to watch some late night classic horror movie on TV. Stuff like the original King Kong, Them!, the French movie Expulsion of the Devil or whatever was showing.
Good times, and I never had to sneak around when it came to horror movies either as I got full support from my mother, who was also a horror movie fan :)

Jimmy S
10-26-2010, 06:11 AM
My best horror memory from my childhood is when I've seen my first movie in a theatre, not really a theatre since it was in a very little town with less than 900 citizens. I was 12 years old (it's been a while, since now I'm 40) and my mother gave us the choice to me and my brother to go watch a practice of the Chicoutimi Sagueneens at our local arena or go at the cinema festival. My brother, of course, decided to go for the hockey (paying to watch a practice, I didn't see the point) and me for the cinema.

The films were shown in the basement of our Church (an odd mix with the horror theme) and it was a triple feature with An American Werewolf in London, Dead & Buried and The Funhouse. A lot of fun, some night of nightmare and all this for 2$. :D

Zillamon51
10-26-2010, 06:18 AM
In Junior High, VCRs were still a novelty (at least to my family), so I didn't have one in my room yet. We only had the communal one in the family room. When I wanted to watch something that my parents didn't want my little brother to see (Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Romero's Dead films), I had to stay up late. Of course, he would usually sneak down and watch it with me anyways.

Years later, when his group of friends thought the remakes of TCM and Dawn of the Dead were improvements, he still preferred the originals. I credit myself for instilling in him such good taste. :)

highclassrob
10-26-2010, 06:31 AM
My first memory of horror movies was finding my fathers stash of taped off HBO VHS tapes. I used to stay up waaaaay later than my family (and still do), mostly to watch Howard Stern's old Channel 9 show or Dream On, for the humor and the boobs. Late night browsing amongst my dad's racks of Star Trek episodes and The Outer Limits ( I'd get to those later) were a complete collection of Hitchcock films. What young boy wouldn't reach for a VHS labeled in stark black sharpie
...."PSYCHO". Turns out a boys best friend is his father.

shithead
10-26-2010, 06:39 AM
Probably staying up late to watch USA's Friday The 13th Marathon when I was about 7 or 8.

Body Boy
10-26-2010, 06:41 AM
My parents brought home Edward Scissorhands one night. "Put those down." It was the scene where the lady first sees Edward in the attic hiding in the shadows, scratching his knives together. It scarred me for life! What a horror!

Watching it now, I feel a bit silly shrieking for it to be turned off. Haha

mrlabrad
10-26-2010, 06:44 AM
My favorite childhood memory of a horror movie was Carrie. I watched that movie on cable and the last 30 minutes scared the crap out of me. I literally could not sleep at night because of it. The scene where she's drenched in blood was forever ingrained in my head. Also, the ending where Carrie's friend Sue visits Carrie's house was a big shocker. I think the movie was little too much for a 12 year to handle, but it's still one my favorite horror movies.

Mutilated Prey
10-26-2010, 07:12 AM
Frankenstein Created Woman - watched this on HBO at my Grandma's house when I was 6 years old. We didn't have cable in our own house yet. Wasn't sure what I was in for until I saw the beheading of a man by gullotine which instantly freaked me out but drew me in. The other scene I vividly remembered growing up was when Christina was waiting in the room with the meat cleaver to chop off one of the juror's head.

Secondly would be when my parents went away for the night and I got my babysitter to let me rent Friday the 13th 1 thru 4. Her boyfriend brought over his VCR and I recorded them all that night until like 5 AM with another buddy.

MisterTwister
10-26-2010, 07:13 AM
My favorite (and first) horror memory is when I was 5 and Tales from the Crypt came on the TV screen. The infamous opening of the show caught my attention right off the bat and I knew after that horror would be a part of my life for the rest of time.

old-boo-radley
10-26-2010, 07:18 AM
First memory would be of THe Fly, so early I can't remember. Second would be a Freddy's Nightmares episode.

Egg_Shen
10-26-2010, 07:27 AM
The 50's sci-fi film It! The Terror From Beyond Space. I was four or five and the part where the monster breaks through the air shaft scared me so bad I ran to my room and listened to the rest of the picture with my ear to the wall.

msw7
10-26-2010, 07:53 AM
My favorite early memories are probably of Creature Double Feature (WLVI broadcasting) - Godzilla and other monster movies; the fight with the spider in the Incredible Shrinking Man, Attack of the Mushroom People, etc.

Also the shape changing alien on Space 1999 really freaked me out but was so cool I couldn't stop watching.

Katatonia
10-26-2010, 08:02 AM
My favorite childhood memory was seeing Poltergeist in the theater. Being just 7 years old at the time, it scared the living hell out of me. I can still remember the theater experience vividly, and couldn't even sleep later that night.

Erick H.
10-26-2010, 08:05 AM
My youthful Saturday nights were often spent sleeping over at my best bud,Chris's house watching our local horror host,DR. MADBLOOD,present everything from the early Universal classics to Godzilla 's outings,A.I.P shockers with Vincent Price and my own personal favorites ,the Hammer horrors.We'd camp out in front of the TV in sleeping bags and consume gallons of Dr. Pepper and cheetos as the best,worst and weirdest horrors of yesteryear unspooled before our eyes.Looking back I think I had some of the happiest times of my life hanging out with my (still) best friend,watching old school horror flicks,fingertips stained orange from fake cheese dust,grinning like an idiot.Those were the days !
Oh,on Oct. 30th DR. MADBLOOD returns to the airwaves for a special screening of HORROR HOTEL.Yep,I'll be watching ! Hope Chris is free.

Conal Cochran
10-26-2010, 11:30 AM
Probably staying late watchin hrror movies marathon on the cable.

addicted2dvd
10-26-2010, 12:14 PM
My favorite childhood horror memory is of my very first horror movie.

I remember it well. We had just gotten cable at our house. And it had this great channel... showing uncut movies... commercial Free. A Channel called HBO. I was mesmerized.

Middle of the night that night I was still tossing and turning because of the excitement of a little kid with a new "toy". So I finally gave up trying to get some sleep and snuck out in the living room (the only room with a TV at the time). And as luck would have it... there was a movie that was just about to start. A movie called The Shining.

I was transfixed to the screen. Sitting on the couch hugging my knees to my chest in a ball. A mixture of nervousness and fear between the movie and worried my mother would wake up and catch me.

But from that time on I was completely hooked on horror... I loved every second of it! Thankfully when my love of horror became apparent to my mother (mother raised us... father passed away years before) she never showed concern about a kid watching horror... she just told me I was on my own watching it.

ekent
10-26-2010, 12:46 PM
My first horror memory is watching a made for tv horror film titled Don't Go To Sleep. It scared the piss out of me and forever warped my mind, good stuff.

marcx
10-26-2010, 02:36 PM
On our first family vacation to Lake Geroge, there was a scary attraction called House of Frankenstein. Well once Isaw it Ikept begging to go in, and finally my parents relented..I was maybe 5? Anyway as sson as we walked on I was terrfied--there was a segment with a mushy floor that I wouldn't walk on--my Dad ad to carry me the rest of the way--I think we bailed at the first fire exit...

From that day forward anytime I wanted to do something that my parents thought was a bad idea they would say "You are pulling another Frankenstein..."

SaxCatz
10-26-2010, 03:12 PM
Despite watching horror films prolifically as a child, my favorite "horror" memory as a child has to do more with ghost stories.
My friends and I, tired of the trite "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" and campy R.L. Stein books, would scour the public library searching for books about ghost legend and lore.
Somehow, we became convinced that a pirate ghost by the name of "Ben" prowled the neighborhood. (Nevermind that this was the mid-West.)
One night, while conducting a "ghost hunt" (long before amateur paranormal investigation became the "in" thing), we saw something that frightened all of us so much that we went running, as fast as we could, over an acre to our parents for support.
To this day, I can't remember exactly what it was we saw, My memory is foggy in that respect, but I can tell you that we definitely all saw it and our reactions were all the same... chilled to the bone.

Mikey Horror
10-26-2010, 03:14 PM
Being a child in the days before cable television, the only access I had to see the movies that appealed to me was Halloween. Being around the age of 9 or 10 in the mid eighties, I couldn't just drive down to the local video store to rent my particular brand of entertainment, so as much as my parents wanted me to do the whole costume trick or treating ritual, I would respectfully decline as I much rather wanted to just plant my ass on the floor in front of the television because that was the only time of year they would actually play the movies on TV that I wanted to see. Candy was readily available the other 364 days of the year, Easter is full of candy, I could get it then. Every year my parents would try anything to persuade me to go out, door to door like all the other kids, buying me whatever costume was the most popular that year, offering up the pillow case up instead of the little orange kiddie bag with the pumpkin on it just so I could feel a little more "hip", they tried it all. But Halloween night was the one night of the year where it seemed that the TV was programmed just for me. I wasn't about to give that up for all of the Kit Kat bars and Tootsie Rolls in the world.

Mok
10-26-2010, 03:24 PM
First real horror movie experience: Watching Halloween 4 with my buddy while my mom was having a nap (we were like 10 years old). http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/images/icons/icon11.gif

Another older friend of mine had once recounted the tale of Jason Voohese to me before that which ignited a keen interest in the genre. But it was Halloween 4 that ended up being my first REAL horror movie exposure and of course my introduction to Mr. Michael Myers. From that point on I was pretty much obsessed. The next one I watched was the original Halloween which I, of course, found to be incredible. :)

skinnypuppy
10-26-2010, 03:42 PM
My first horror movie/memory was watching Poltergeist with my father at the young age of 5 years old. I begged and pleaded him to stay up late with me one night and camp out in the basement watching it. At that time I had already seen a number of mild kids horror movies - Watcher in the Woods, Something Wicked This Way Comes, etc. POLTERGEIST was my FIRST official horror film though.

Luckily my father agreed and we stayed up late watching it. My father passed out around the mid-way point and I remember being so terrified of the face-melting scene. I had to wake him up immediately. After that experience I was hooked. He showed me other classics after that such as The Shinning, House, The Keep and a bunch of others.

rejectgirl
10-26-2010, 04:50 PM
There was a party at a friends house, and everyone wanted to watch The Shining- some wimped out and left the room. I remember staying and being tranced by the movie. It was terrifying, but almost addicting at the same time. REDRUM REDRUM, the scene with the blood in the hallway was very intense for me as a 10 year old girl. We followed this movie up with Nightmare on Elm Street. I can remember laying in bed that night all alone with the cold sweats, sheets tight as could be around my shoulders,and many nights after that too. I was scared to death to fall asleep. Good times!

zombiecraig
10-26-2010, 05:16 PM
My favorite memory is watching horror with my older sister, growing up. She had no problem with me watching the violence, but in her mind, I wasn't allowed to see nudity. No boobies! I can recall her blocking the screen in Halloween 2, when the nurse is scalded to death. Also, in The Shining, the bathtub woman was blocked. I remember just hearing the woman laughing at Jack Nicholson and thinking to this day that imagining the scene that first time was actually more terrifying than the real thing!

crikan
10-26-2010, 05:18 PM
My parents were pretty good about keeping us anyway from horror films when we were young. I do have vivid memories of going to the video store with my dad to rent a VCR and a stack of movies for the weekends. I'd always spend some time in the horror section being absolutely amazed by the cover art. I'm pretty sure I knew better than to ask to rent a horror film, but I do remember dad picking out a scifi horror film, Saturn III, and we found it to be dreadfully boring. We razzed him for years about that one. In retrospect I can see that he choose it for Farrah Fawcett and was probably not the least bit disappointed with his choice.

Mytee
10-26-2010, 05:50 PM
My first horror memory came at the age of four. it was June of 1975 and The Giant Spider Invasion was playing at the drive-in. I literally begged my parents to take me and they did. My mom was just about ready to deliver my brother so she had to keep getting out of the car to run for the bathroom
The movie was total cheese-the spider was so obviously a volkswagon covered in fur with red filters over the headlights for eyes. If you really look close you can see the wheels.Ive been hooked ever since.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bksvon-hSDM

hellraiser40
10-26-2010, 06:29 PM
watching The Howling III when i was 8!

i rented it from the local video store and apparently my mom didn't mind, little did she know that she ignited my interest in horror, which she probably now regrets :P

pwrslave
10-26-2010, 06:41 PM
My first horror memory involves Poltergeist and the terror which plagued my mind for years to come. I remember going to the movie store to rent some movies for the weekend. I was maybe 4 or 5 and I remember seeing the cover for Poltergeist. I begged my parents to rent it. They at first told me no, but eventually caved.

We brought the Beta Max tape home and popped it in the machine, I was ready to go! I was good with everything, sometimes hiding behind my Mom, or them covering my eyes during certain scenes. But I was completely unprepared for the Clown. When that cursed doll strangled and pulled the helpless boy under the bed, I jumped off the couch and went screaming into the kitchen and hid behind the wall, tears rolling off my cheeks and all. I refused to return to the room until the movie was turned off, ejected from the player and put back into the case.

That evening before bed, i refused to go into my room until all of the stuffed animals were removed, placed into a large black garbage bags and hidden in my parents closet. I didn't remove those stuffed animals for what seemed like months after that evening. My fear of clowns began after viewing Poltergeist. Every time I saw one in public I would hide behind my parents, fearing they would kidnap me. I don't think I got over my fear of clowns until I was heading into middle school. The impact that movie had on me lasted YEARS!

In hindsight, I have a feeling my parents allowed the rental and viewing of this movie as a kind of "We told you so!" rational, but damn, talk about a harsh lesson! Needless to say, it kinda backfired, as I am a total horror fanatic today :)

Anaestheus
10-26-2010, 07:13 PM
I don't know if it's my first memory, but a very important part of my youth was the Channel 7 4:30 movie. If anyone else here grew up in the NYC area in the 70s, you probably remember these. If not, then you can read all about the coolest television station in the world right here:

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/TV%20Guide/430movielogo.htm

The short version is that Channel 7 used to have these week-long movie marathons at 4:30 PM every day. There'd be a Vincent Price week, a Planet of the Apes week, a Giant Bugs week, Godzilla week, etc. I discovered these when I was in the third grade, just as I discovered Poe, and few things were more important in my little life at that point. So, every day after school, Kurt Limpert (I gotta Facebook that guy one of these days) and I would race home from school on our bikes to see what sort of madness Channel 7 had in store for us. That also helped foster my intense hatred of the "After School Special" as that would mean less SciFi/Horror goodness that week.

MorallySound
10-26-2010, 07:13 PM
I was 6 years old and it was mid-September 1992. My younger sister, two older cousins, and I were staying at my Auntie's place where we were being babysat and spending the night. She took us out to the video store where I got the choice to pick the movie off the new-release wall. Now being a young whippersnapper, and no parents were around, I picked out Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare since it was R-rated and there was a life-size standee of Freddy in the video store, which both scared me and intrigued me. I had seen the image around various video stores and on TV, and thought I was man enough to witness my first horror film.

Both of my older cousins had seen the film before, and so my Auntie rented the tape. We popped it in and I sat there for those next 90 minutes barely able to peer through my fingers. The Q-tip scene is what pushed me over the edge and forever haunted my nightmares. That night I slept (but of course actually didn't sleep) on the staircase in the hallway completely terrified. And for the next couple years I'd have many sleepless nights hoping a witch-Freddy riding on a broomstick would not be outside my window cackling away and I never did look at a Q-tip the same way.

satans-sadists
10-26-2010, 08:24 PM
I was five years old and my mother took me to my first haunted house. The two sets I remember best were Phantom of the Opera in addition to Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Watching the "actor" transform into Mr. Hyde was my favorite part as I believed it was 100% real. The whole experience was scary to a five year old, but I immediately wanted to go back through. We did not, but I will never forget that!

Ptflea2
10-26-2010, 08:52 PM
Going over to my friends house and watching the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre at 12 years old. Changed my life forever.

MacabreFilms
10-26-2010, 09:16 PM
My first horror related childhood memory was when my family went to Universal Studios, Florida and saw the Alfred Hitchcock attraction. They played clips from The Birds and Psycho. I was in awe! I just knew I had to see this films in their entirety. Soon after we got home, my mom let me rent both films and my love affair with horror began.

I had loved (and hated) looking at the horror section of our video store as a child, but this was the first time I had ever really watched one all the way through.

Darkside
10-26-2010, 10:21 PM
My first real horror experience was when my father took me to see "The Thing" in 1982 at the tender age of 6. I told him how much I wanted to go and see a horror movie with him as he and I used to watch the Creature Double Feature on Saturday afternoons on my local TV station. I bitched, moaned, complained, and threw fits for him to take me and enjoyed the movie all the way up to the point where the first "non-transformed" dog got the shotgun to the chest and then it was all down hill. I don't think I stopped sobbing and then pretty much forgot to sleep for the next 3-4 weeks but damn it if it's not one of my all time favorite movies. Not sure if it was because I was with my father, or if the sheer terror made me into the horror fiend I am today!

spawningblue
10-26-2010, 10:58 PM
When I was 8 or so, renting the Friday the 13th movies every weekend with my cousin and his friend. Most of the time it was part 6, probably why it's a favourite now, but every now and then we would switch it up, sometimes with a non Friday related horror film. We would usually get a crap load of snacks,planning on pulling an all nighter, but we would be lucky to make to through both movies if even one of them, as we wouldn't start them until it was pretty late.

Shannafey
10-26-2010, 11:02 PM
There are so many films that bring back memories, but everytime I see Trilogy of Terror, I remembering watching it (when I wasn't supposed to at age 5 or 6) and being petrified by the last story. To this day, I love that film!!

indiephantom
10-26-2010, 11:03 PM
Okay, my top three in order.

1) Watching CREEPSHOW for the first time when I was twelve and at summer camp. Nearly every night the counselors would rent something on VHS that ended up being a lifelong favorite film...but this was a particular topper.

2.) I'm 13 and sleeping over at a friend's house with some buddies. We freak ourselves out by watching Sleepaway Camp...and THAT scene really mindfucked us.

3.) At 11, having a really hot babysitter tell me the entire stories of Friday the 13th Part 2 and Happy Birthday to Me. That is special!

othervoice1
10-26-2010, 11:38 PM
Well the first horror movie moment I remember the most as a child would have been when I was in second grade. I spent the night at a friends whose dad was very liberal on tv and movie viewing.

So we watched Friday the 13th part 2 on HBO- I had never seen an R rated movie before and it scared the crap out of me- but to this day it is one of my favorite horror/slasher movies. If my parents had found out I watched that movie at that age there would have been hell to pay! <:

Also does anyone in the Midwest remember Sammy Terry (Think his show was in Indy)? It was when they used to have those "every friday" late night horror shows and there was always a corny horror host to present the movie - he had a hilarious little spider that made little squeely noises and dangled from the ceiling. Anyways that is another fond memory I have - I do not believe they have anything like that anymore which is sad.

http://www.sammyterrynightmares.com/

Ninjalo
10-26-2010, 11:53 PM
I have so many, but probably the eairlest and most innocent is watching Godzilla movies on Son of Svengoolie out of Chicago. Godzilla vs the Smog Monster was my all time fav. Svengoolie is still around today, though he is no long "The Son Of", just plain old "Svengoolie". I still watch him to day, and think of the good old days!

scott71670
10-27-2010, 01:13 AM
When I was a kid we only had 3 channels to watch until Channel 23-Wxxa came in from Albany. We lived behind a mountain in the middle of nowhere and we had rigged up a piece of an antenna which was nailed on the north side of the house. The north side of the house had no windows because that was 'the wind side', meaning that it was all wall, so no light could come out from the inside of the house. It also faced two miles of woods and that was it- no neighbors, no streetlights, zilch. The piece of antenna worked better on this side than on the roof- and on Friday nights from 1100 pm to 5 am saturday was Theater Bizarre. It would sort of be where this station (since it was independant at the same and would run off of movie packages and old sitcoms) would deposit films that were sent in their packages that really fit nicely there. First they would show something popular- everything from Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte to The Shuttered Room. The second film was usually something lesser known along the lines of old TV movies or Eurohorror (2 cases in point- Scream of the Demon Lover or A Force of Evil), and at the tail end at 430 in the morning you'd get something really old, like The Twonky or The Hypnotic Eye or Face of Fire (a personal fave). Well... every so often the signal would go out (God bless UHF) and you would have to get brave and run outside and wiggle the antenna at 3 in the morning and run back in and see if the TV picture was okay. It was fuzzy to begin with... One night during the film 'Rituals' I go running outside in my skivvies during a commercial break when the picture had gone out completely, flew around the side of the house, and planted my foot almost in the middle of an opossum out for an evening stroll. We probably both had the same facial expression at that moment when I came around the corner and we pretty much collided!!! Still got my antenna adjusted though, and went back in and finished watching that movie... Yep. Good old UHF...

scaryguy88
10-27-2010, 01:17 AM
My favorite memory was watching Monstervision, saturday nights on TNT. It was hosted by that guy Joe Bob Briggs, one night in particular I caught They live for the first time....amazing.

Caspar2112
10-27-2010, 01:33 AM
Two things I remember vividly was being in the living room while my parents had a bridge game in the dining room. I was supposedly being watched by my sister who decided she would rather chat on the phone. On the television I watched as a previously deceased man with bandages on his head and chest wandered around searching for his heart. The image and the words have been etched in my imagination ever since. It was just within the last few years or so that I saw the sequence and movie in question for all those years ago....The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue. From that first memory, I also loved watching Gregory the Grave walker every Saturday night who hosted classic films on a Rochester station. Good times.

dave13
10-27-2010, 01:55 AM
gotta be a tie between:

1. Watching A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors at a friends place on a bootleg vhs tape. It was a summer afternoon, and I was probably about 8 years old. The thrill of actually watching a Freddy movie, was almost more than I could handle. So cool.

2. Watching an edited-for-tv version of Aliens on a crappy B&W tv with my mom. Also on a bootleg vhs. Again, so thrilling to be actually watching something like that, that I couldn't believe I was actually seeing it.

I honestly can't remember which one came first though.

Horrorphilly
10-27-2010, 02:12 AM
My earliest memory of horror was when I was 6 or so.I saw that Return of the Living Dead was on TV during possibly UP ALL NIGHT and I asked my sister to wake me up at 12am or 1 am so I could see it and she tried to but I couldn't get up I was so tired.Thats my memory.

Sean

bigdaddyhorse
10-27-2010, 02:20 AM
At 11 years old, a local TV channel played Friday the 13th part 2 uncut (still had commercials, but all nudity and gore from the R version was there) and my parents let me stay up and watch it. Loved horror movies ever since.

When I was a bit younger than that, the night of the first time I saw Poltergeist, a tree branch kept hitting my bedroom window inches from the bed (windy night), then a poster directly over my pillow fell on me. I almost shit myself but it was kinda fun after the fact.:D

Bluenoser
10-27-2010, 02:38 AM
First horror memory. At my friend's birthday party, probably 1990 or 91... I was 7 or 8. We watched Monster Squad and it scared the ever-loving hell out of me. I COULD NOT watch horror movies until my teens, and I blame Monster Squad for it. I was scarred. I watch it now and I'm a little embarrassed, haha.

deepred
10-27-2010, 02:44 AM
Watching Shocktober on the WB during October in the early 90s :D

CrazyFatEthel
10-27-2010, 04:04 AM
I loved watching Black Christmas with my grandmother on Xmas eve in probably, '00?

Mitbox
10-27-2010, 04:18 AM
I've got lots, but probably the one that I find more interesting was when we rented Carpenter's Prince of Darkness.
By that time I was like 10 and had seen a lot of horror movies, specially all the Nightmares and Fridays, Chuckys, etc, mostly mainstream horror available on a small video store by that time (circa 93).

But that particular cover always caught my attention but never dared to rent it (theatrical poster: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e9/Prince_of_darkness.jpg). I finally grew some balls and rented it with my mom. Back in the house the VHS sat near to the VCR from morning through the afternoon and as the time to watch it was drawing near, my fear of it build up to the point of making me physically ill (almost making my want to puke) I was so damn scared, never felt like that before and never though I would be scared of a horror movie and what was worst, only scared of it by the cover, that stretched image of a face with bugs coming out of it and creepy teeth and eyes looking at me.
Needless to say I didn't watch the movie and made my mother lose the money of the rental since if I wasn't watching it nobody was.

bloodthrill
10-27-2010, 04:27 AM
I must have been about seven,and really idolized my older brother,(as all annoying little bros usually do,and there was a seven-year age gap to top off my already poor chances of really "bonding" ).It was late,my Dad had gone to bed,and Mike and my older sister,Angie, were watching T.V. Back then,(around 1989)we had all of the premium channels due to the huge satellite dish towering over our back yard,pulling in all sorts of weird signals and giving us the oddest and coolest stuff to watch.

Nightmare On Elm Street 5: The Dream Child came on, and Mike said, "I don't think so. You've got to go to bed now. This'll give you nightmares." I looked at him in horror-I'd possibly rented worse during overnights with my Dottie (grandmother) and protested as much. He and I went back and forth,with Angie chipping in her two cents,until at last he relented,and told me I could stay.. if I turned my back and promised not to actually watch.I can still see the stern expression tugging at his teenage features as he tried to be kinda parental .

I readily agreed to this condition..because the doors of the fireplace I was facing were reflective glass,and gave me a nice,clear view of the carnage on-screen.

When I watched Freddy feed Greta her own guts,I was officially traumatized.

17thJuggalo
10-27-2010, 05:18 AM
One childhood memory that I won't forget is watching Night of the Living Dead for the first time. It obviously was very scary for me but the whole thing was just so.... awesome. Later on I find out it's local significance and I love the film to this day. Catching it on Saturday afternoons randomly was always a treat.

Another memory I had was being freaked out at the VHS cover of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2.

The Doctor
10-27-2010, 05:41 AM
When I was 12 years old, I sat down with my best friend to watch the original Night of the Living Dead. It was my first horror movie (I was a real coward), and it wound up turning me on to horror films from then on .

I still get nightmares from the Simpsons Halloween Specials, though. Go figure.

MadmanMarz
10-27-2010, 05:55 AM
I would have to say the previews for Magic scared me a lot. I even remember being afraid of the ads in the movie section of the newspaper. Yet still I begged to see it at the drive-in with my parents. The previews ended up scarier than the film and I fell asleep.

Suicide
10-27-2010, 06:12 AM
One night when I was probably 7 or 8 my mom and I were watching a Friday the 13th movie, part 6 I think. My brother had gone to sleep already so it was just the two of us downstairs at around 8:30 or so. Suddenly we hear glass breaking in the kitchen upstairs. Naturally after watching Jason dice people for the last hour we were scared out of our goddamn minds. My mom was so scared she ends up calling the police. 10 minutes later the cop shows up and goes upstairs to check it out. He comes back down holding something in his hand - a little cheap stain glass bird that was attached to the sliding glass door with a little suction cup, broken in two from falling off and hitting the ground. We felt like total idiots of course, but I guess my mom was pretty scared by the movie because she sure as hell wasn't going upstairs to check it out.

KamuiX
10-27-2010, 10:24 AM
Not particularly horror, but it terrified me at the time. When I was about 6 or 7, I saw Terminator for the first time on one of the pay movie channels that for some reason we got for free at my house for years before the cable company realized they we're giving it to us (ahhh, I miss the days of them just flipping a switch by accident).

Anyway, the film scared the shit out of me and in my little brain I was terrified that someone might come looking for everyone that had my name and blow me away if I opened the door. :lol:

pieces35
10-27-2010, 12:55 PM
I would stay up late and watch "creepshow" on hbo killer times!!!!

MrKateB
10-27-2010, 01:06 PM
I had been exposed to horror flicks on tv pretty early---my mom used to watch all of the early 70's made-for-tv movies like "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark", and "Cat Creature". I have very brief, almost 'snapshot-like' memories of some of these films, and others like "Voices" and that show "Circle of Fear"... I think that is what gave me my curiosity about horror films to begin with...BUT, my first real vivid memory is of the day that we were watching a Saturday matinee in my parents' room...The movie was the old 50's "The Fly", with Vincent Price.

My mom got up to go fix lunch, and as I was already getting scared (I couldn't have been more than 4) I wanted to go in the kitchen with her. She told me to keep watching, cause the movie would get really good--"Especially the end", she said...

SO I'm watching the movie, and totally getting to the point where I was hiding my eyes and getting really scared, and then the end scene plays out, where the fly with the human head is caught in the web...The spider shows up and I'm totally horrified...then the little fly with the head starts screaming "Help meeeee"...I came unglued. I ran into the kitchen screaming and crying, and my mom is like, "WHAT???"...

Anyway, to this day my mom denies having anything to do with my fascination for horror flicks, but it is from her I got it. She went to all the Bava flicks when she lived in Italy (even knew him), and was also a fan of the British Hammer horror movies...

Ash28M
10-27-2010, 01:23 PM
My favorite childhood horror memory might of been browsing Jumbo Video's horror dungeon room and just drolling over all that menacing VHS cover art. I also remember fondly staying up to watch Friday the 13th on citytv late great movies and then hearing from the older kids in the neighborhood the next day that there was an uncut version playing even later that night. I doubt it was true but it got my imagination racing.

Ash28M
10-27-2010, 01:33 PM
My parents were pretty good about keeping us anyway from horror films when we were young.

I guess that's one way to look at it. I would say my parents were pretty good at letting me watch horror films when I was young. :)

fattyjoe37
10-27-2010, 03:22 PM
The first interaction I had with horror was when I saw a TV spot for Child's Play 2 in Kindergarten. It scared me so bad that I had Chucky nightmares for about 4 years. Seeing that TV spot when I was 5 was scarier than any of the movies.

Rft183
10-27-2010, 03:48 PM
The first horror movie I remember watching was Friday the 13th Part III. It must have been on television, because I don't think we had cable back then. I remember that I loved the movie, but I couldn't figure out who/what that thing was that jumped out of the lake at the end!

SpaceAce
10-27-2010, 05:17 PM
I remember as a kid I would love to go to our corner video store and check out all the cheesy /shlocky horror movie boxes (Some were VHS and some were beta...yeah back in the day). My mom liked horror movies so my parents and I would sit down and watch them about 2-3 times per month and some of them were fun and some were atrocious. I still have fonds memories watching them and having some good laughs and good scares.

Crazyrudie
10-27-2010, 06:36 PM
The movie I remember most from my childhood was Evil Dead 2. I absolutely loved it, i've seen it countless of times and till this day I watch it nonstop. That film alone is what turned me into a horror hound and haven't looked back since. Evil Dead 2 is in my top 5 and I'm not talking about top 5 horror films, i'm talking about top 5 of all time.

JGrendel
10-27-2010, 07:18 PM
It was my mother who introduced me to horror. I can remember watching the Howling, Dracula 1979, Nightmare on elm street & the Friday the 13th movies at her side. It became our tradtion to watch the exploits of a certain hockey masked figure. Which is why I think the series means so much to me, not just because I love the character but the memories that go with it. I'm still hoping to convince my mother to sit down & watch the remake just for old times sake.

shape22
10-27-2010, 08:18 PM
I have very fond memories of Saturday morning and afternoon horror shows in Philadelphia. Creature Double Feature ran on UHF channel 48 and Dr. Shock's various shows ran on UHF Channel 17. I remember Robert Quarry's The Deathmaster running frequently on one or the other. And I still have a Beta video tape of highlights from that one--including Pico's regrettable decision to stake Khorda without opening the lid of his coffin and the MacGyver-like maneuver that saves him from Barbado. I used to watch those scenes over and over, much to the chagrin of my mother. She called that movie "garbage."

Fortunately she did allow me to see the entire Night Stalker series in its initial TV run. It definitely helped cement my horror fixation and my interest in writing as a career.

One of my first Bookmobile books was Movie Monsters by Thomas G. Aylesworth. It featured awesome pictures of many of the iconic Universal monsters--including a picture of Lugosi's Dracula that gave me nightmares. But I still stared at those pictures relentlessly. And I still have that book.

I don't recall getting to see the original Frankenstein, Dracula, or The Wolf Man on TV until a couple years after I got that book. So finally seeing them was definitely the realization of a big quest.

shift
10-28-2010, 02:47 AM
Back in 1982 I was 6yrs old and my father was stationed in Germany and talk about having the best VCR on the market. It was a JVC and had a wired remote. Remember that?? ;)

Anyways, I remember it was probably about 1am, I just work up to get a glass of water. He had a get together with other guys from his platoon and they were watching a movie that were some guys running running scared crapless with lights on their helmets and something like a roar that was chasing them.

All I remember was the next scene were the guys that were running were dead falling off a cliff. So on ropes and some of them smashed at the bottom of the cliff. I ran in more room scared. About 2-week after that, I asked my dad what that movie was and he said "Prophecy" (1979). I don't know, but I had to watch it. To this day, guess what I own on dvd and still enjoy watching to this day? YUP!!
What a great classic and good memories what scared the hoot out of me when I was 6yrs old. lol!!

eric_angelus
10-28-2010, 03:50 AM
My earliest clear horror memory from my childhood is being taken to the drive-in in the summer of 74 to see The Exorcist. I was not even 4 years old...and fell asleep before any of the action started...but I have a vivid memory of the imagery of the dogs fighting and the big demon statue. According to my mom, the drive-in gave them quite a bit of shit for bringing me into the movie...

Anthropophagus
10-28-2010, 04:07 AM
My true introduction to the genre was probably staying up late on a weekend and turning the channel to one of the many local french tv stations that aired films uncut and uncensored. I was eight or nine and happened to fall upon a screening of Fulci's Zombie, I was both disgusted and exhilarated at the non-stop violence, gore and nudity and the zombie/shark scene and splinter through the eye gag remain some of my post potent memories of the genre to this day.

WesReviews
10-28-2010, 05:19 AM
First childhood horror memory, watching Creepshow on BETA in our first house. I couldn't have been much older than 3 or 4, because we moved into the neighborhood they live now before I was 5. It didn't really scare me, but it's always stuck with me.

mcchrist
10-28-2010, 05:41 AM
JAWS 2! I remember watching it in my living room the year after it came out in theaters and screaming at my grandfather who was a pussy to open his eyes. "They are going to fry that fish!"

Once again, another contest Rhett will throw my name out of the hat.

fart_mike
10-28-2010, 06:33 AM
seeing XTRO and Curtains at the drive-in and having the crap scared out my brother and i by an over-zealous concession clerk who loved to ham it up on the speaker when announcing the upcoming feature...

bwana the clown
10-28-2010, 08:37 AM
Coming home from school one day (must have been about 9) and watching Friday The 13th Part 2, which my older brother had rented. Had not seen anything like it before (I'd not been allowed to see Part 1) and it scared the living shit out of me. Loved it and haven't looked back since. :D

joltaddict
10-28-2010, 11:53 AM
I have three memories that probabally marked my taste in movies. I have no idea which came first but they all had to have happened between 7-8 years old (and the rest of this post will betray just how old and decrepid I am).

The first and most traumatic was a combo of Frankenstein and my Aunts. We were at my Uncles house and the menfolk were watching the old Universal Frankenstein and told me I couldnt watch it and I had to go in the kitchen where the wives were gossiping. I wanted to watch the fucking movie so I faked going in there and tried to watch the movie, but I watched it from around the corner by the kitchen door where I could hear my aunts, but they didnt know I was around. So Im catching snippets of their conversation and the flick. NOW of course I know what they were saying but I was like 7 so at the time I must have confused it all in my little prepubescent mind. They must have been talking about a kid that got molested in the bathroom at the mall and someone said the usual "they should cut his dick off". But I thought thats what the guy did. Well into late my late teens I had a reoccuring nightmare that Frankenstein was coming to cut my dick off. :(

Second, and at the same Uncles house I vividly remember seeing the TV ad for the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and thinking it looked like the coolest movie ever. And I was right. :D

Third, my parents used to go to the drive-in and pile blankets in the back seat and me and my brother would sleep through the whole thing. But once I woke up during The Little Girl Who Lived Down The Lane and I secretly watched it. It warped my fragile little mind.

Nightbreed
10-28-2010, 09:34 PM
sleeping over my cousin's house with like 5 of my cousin's watching Night Of The Demons and having my uncle go into the basement unknowingly and shutting off the power to the entire house and almost shitting my pants.

FilmFiend
10-29-2010, 10:37 PM
I have a lot of early horror memories, but I think the one that freaked me out the most in my young age was seeing the 1978 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers at the local downtown theater before it closed. I remember going to DiCarlo's Pizza afterward ( a local place) and thinking stuff like "Are the people making the pizza dough Pod People?" I was probably sleep deprived for many months because I was so certain somebody planted a pod underneath the bed. I kept imagining the tendrils or whatever they were would wrap me up and trap me to bed and make me "fall apart" like Brooke Adams. I guess it would've been even more scary to find yourself walking around naked at a pod greenhouse like Brooke Adams. Anyway my fear and fascination I had for the movie at the time did not prevent me from making my mother buy me the Fotonovel for the film at the local mall bookstore.

ZoSo
10-30-2010, 07:11 AM
Not my first memory, but will always remember... actually involved Tales from the Darkside.... When I finally got my own bedroom with a TV, I would always stay up way too late on school nights. I'd watch WPIX every night, first the Honeymooners, then Tales From the Darkside. I would always fall asleep during Tales and have awesome nightmares!

allmessedup
10-30-2010, 09:12 PM
When I was around 4, my dad took me to see THE SHAGGY D.A. This was at a small town movie theater, and they would play the coming attractions for whatever movies were coming soon, even if it was a G-rated audience for something such as THE SHAGGY D.A. One of the coming attractions was for a movie called CARRIE.
As soon as they started showing a bloody Sissy Spacek and the scary lighting of the prom [I remember thinking it was supposed to be Hell--we were a religious family] I started flipping out and demanding my father take me outside. Of course, by the time he figured it out, I'd seen almost the entire trailer.

I didn't actually see CARRIE until I was nearly a teenager, and of course by then I realized she was actually the least scary part of that movie.

rxfiend
10-30-2010, 09:41 PM
My earliest childhood memory was watching "Sammy Terry" on late night Saturday's. I recall seeing "Godzilla Vs The Smog Monster" and part of "Evil Dead." I'm sure I've seen more, but that's all I can remember. I do remember being terrified by Sammy Terry at the beginning of the show due to how he made his appearance (creepy laugh, then coming out of a coffin). Sure it's cheesy to see as an adult, but as a child, I was terrified, and loved it!

Jason101
10-31-2010, 01:21 AM
I remember watching Child's play with my brother and mom when I was about six. While we were watching the movie, one of the lights in the room went out by itself. Since then, my mom considers horror movies "evil."

WhatTHEhell19
10-31-2010, 02:45 AM
I have quite a few early horror memories, but one that always sticks out for me is the first time I watched A Nightmare On Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge. I saw it on late night TV one night when I was 7 or so and it freaked me out. That was the first time I saw any of the Nightmare films. I knew who Freddy was, but I'd never actually watched one of the movies. The bus ride to Hell scene at the beginning, and the scene where he comes out of Jesse's body to kill Ron really stood out to me. They still do actually. I think that's why it's still one of my favorites of the series.

I also remember renting horror movies (and NES games) every weekend from the mom & pop video store up the street. My parents were always pretty cool about letting me rent that stuff. That's how I first saw things like Romero's Dead films, Return of the Living Dead, The Friday the 13th films, The Shining, The Fog, The Howling, Child's Play and so on.

Bristlebane
10-31-2010, 05:17 AM
My first memory of horror came from Friday the 13th. My father had been watching it and it was at the part where Alice is in the canoe and the music is all serene. And then jason jumped out of the water and grabbed her. To this day I remember the effect that had on me.

Spit
10-31-2010, 08:39 PM
I saw poltergiest at a sleep over when I was 7 or 8 and thought it was the coolest thing to ever grace a VHS. All the rest of the kids had their hands over their eyes for most of the movie, but I was glued to the tube!

wago70
11-01-2010, 12:58 AM
BEST: late May of 1981. That previous summer, my best friend told me of all this really cool movie his older brother had taken him to see. A movie called "Humanoids From the Deep". My horror viewing at that point had been Hammer, Universal, Godzilla and whatever goodies were on regular TV at the time and often late at night. This was something different. The horror movies coming out were featuring more adult situations, nudity and most all - shown violence. Special effects were getting good word of mouth and I wanted to this new type of film very badly. Being 10 years old has its moviegoing limitations, no doubt.
In late May of 1981, that was about to change as my mother had originally promised to take me to see a double feature of THE FUNHOUSE and THE FAN. The night we planned to go, those films had ended their run.
The alternate was HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME and it was to be my introduction to the new style of horror films that were popular and actually showed you the violent special effects. By the time the film wrapped up, I had seen lots of bloody special effects (sadly, it would be the last time since the film would be shorn of several scenes of violence once it hit VHS and cable afterward although retaining its R rating).
I excitedly left the movie house with a new found love for horror films and without losing my love for the ones I grew up watching on TV.

soxfan666
11-01-2010, 01:08 AM
I remember waiting for summer all year so I could start my routine of 2 horror rentals per night. I am the baby of the family by far so my parents were very lax in what i could watch. They took me to Poltergeist in the theatre when i was 3 years old. Anyway, each day of summer vacation my mother would take me to the local video store and let me pick out 2 horror movies. I loved walking the back wall of horror looking for the nastiest movies i could fine. The store had all of the boxes facing out and if it was available it had a little round metal tab hanging in front of it. I would spend about 20 minutes each day studying the same boxes over and over until finally making my decision. My parents would go to bed each night at 11 and then I would start watching. As my intermission between movies I would always have a frozen pizza. I can't tell you how many times I want to go back and relive one of those nights, or have a summer that matches those.

rhett
11-01-2010, 05:39 AM
Thanks for the submissions, everyone. This might have been one of my favorite contests; it was quite special to share in all your nostalgia. Many of my same memories mirror a lot of yours.

The three lucky winners of TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE: THE FINAL SEASON are:

MisterTwister
ZoSo
Jason101

Send me a PM and to you these will be shipped!

addicted2dvd
11-01-2010, 10:33 AM
Congrats Winners!

crikan
11-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Congrats winners

Mok
11-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Congrats dudes!

MorallySound
11-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Congrats to the winners! Some great stories throughout this thread.