PDA

View Full Version : Horror Video Game Franchises

rhett
11-07-2010, 12:20 AM
We've seen a few horror video game franchises leap to the big screen with the likes of Resident Evil, Silent Hill and of course the Ewe Bolliverse...what other horror franchise would you like to see make the leap from video game to movie?

MacReady
11-07-2010, 01:04 AM
Castlevania for sure. Cant believe it hasn't been done yet.

moogong
11-07-2010, 02:19 AM
Although Left 4 Dead is my favorite game on the list, I feel it has been done many times over. I went with F.E.A.R. just because the plot is pretty unique and has not been done to death.

vampyr789
11-07-2010, 02:23 AM
Other- Condemned: Criminal Origins. Fucking scariest video game I've ever played. It'd be a really freaky movie. It has an interesting and good plot, and the characters could be protrayed pretty easily on screen. It would be an incredibly suspenseful film (to those who have played it, you know what I'm talking about...)

Though, the moive would need a little bit more closure and background explanation, that would help the movie flow better much better than the game does. Yay.

othervoice1
11-07-2010, 02:28 AM
F.E.A.R for me because I think it could actually have an interesting plot- Phantasmagoria would be my second pick.

sumo8675309
11-07-2010, 02:29 AM
Castlevania for sure. Cant believe it hasn't been done yet.

it's coming out next year (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0488982/) just hope paul w anderson's not touching it at all

sumo8675309
11-07-2010, 02:31 AM
and parasite eve has a movie (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005JXXX/ref=s9_simh_gw_p74_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=182HWQ3366ZR4FKDK6AK&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846) out..never seen it though

KamuiX
11-07-2010, 02:43 AM
I voted for Splatterhouse simply because I think it could work in a totally over-the-top, gore-splattered way. Clock Tower (the original games) could possibly lend themselves well to film too.

Castlevania is among my all-time favorite game franchises, but I think it would only truly work as an animated film. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is about the closest thing we've ever gotten to a CV film. I'm not holding my breath for the live-action film on the horizon...

And there actually is a Dead Rising film called Zombrex: Dead Rising Sun, you can watch it here: http://www.deadrisingsun.com/#/home

CrazyFatEthel
11-07-2010, 02:45 AM
Clocktower 3 would be a really interesting movie, I could see Evan RachelmWood playing the lead role.

f.ramses
11-07-2010, 03:36 AM
I don't really like it when they try to make movies out of video games but I voted for Splatterhouse. When I was a kid and TG16 came out I wondered if there actually was a movie called Splatterhouse and when I found out there wasn't I began to wonder why there wasn't a movie called Splatterhouse! With Phantasmagoria I think all you'd really need is a macro that plays the game all the way through for you without dieing and it would pretty much be a movie, it's a fun game but so much of the time is spent watching video in that one iirc.

shape22
11-07-2010, 03:57 AM
Shake it baby!

Mutilated Prey
11-07-2010, 04:45 AM
I'm gonna go with with Clock Tower cause it's kinda creepy and subtle - cool old school slasher type atmosphere. Castlevania would probably be like Mortal Kombat and cheese out, Splatterhouse is an over the top F13 in reverse, and while I love the F.E.A.R video games I think it would end up being like Resident Evil.

Anaestheus
11-07-2010, 10:15 AM
System Shock

While not necessarily horror, i think it has enough scary elements to count. Besides, they are both such amazing games, they deserve mention any way.

Copyboy
11-07-2010, 01:13 PM
I went with Castlevania only because it's the only video game on the list that I know. I haven't played a game since SNES was around.

I'm sure if they do make it, it will be a CGI crapfest like Van Helsing. Actually, I really liked the story in Van Helsing, but the CGI just ruined the whole thing for me.

Fistfuck
11-07-2010, 07:18 PM
When I was a kid and TG16 came out I wondered if there actually was a movie called Splatterhouse and when I found out there wasn't I began to wonder why there wasn't a movie called Splatterhouse!

Cool story, dude!

vampyr789
11-07-2010, 10:45 PM
System Shock

While not necessarily horror, i think it has enough scary elements to count. Besides, they are both such amazing games, they deserve mention any way.

YESS I agree completely!

Spit
11-07-2010, 10:59 PM
I havent played Clock Tower, and have never heard of D or Phantasmagoria. For the most part movies based on video games are a big let down.

The doom movie was retared. If they made a duke nukem movie I'm afraid they would get someone crappy like the rock to play him. Bruce Cample would have made a good Duke Nukem 10 years ago.
Castlevania would probably be crap, becuase it would crater to the teen bopper vampire fad.

Left 4 Dead might be cool, so would FEAR.

On a side note, anyone else remember the tendo game VideoGame:The Movie:The Game? ....god i'm getting old.

maybrick
11-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Clock Tower was the most boring horror game I've ever played. Nothing happens for most of it and every once in a while a guy shows up and walks toward you snapping ridiculously large scissors, and he walks so slow he's easily avoidable. Also, it was very obvious who the killer was from the get go. It was really lame and I couldn't believe that they released more after that.

It wasn't the best game in the world (too much fighting) but I liked the idea behind the old PS1 game Nightmare Creatures: killing lovecraft-like monsters in London by gaslight in the late 1800s. I could see that as a movie.

Shlockjock81
11-07-2010, 11:20 PM
I know Castlevania is in production, but it's going to be crap and we all know it. It will be a total music video-style cgi fest that will be marketed towards teenagers. They haven't been able to make a decent Castlevania game in the past 10 years (aside from the DS and PSP ones), why should the film be any different? In my eyes, Castlevania kinda died when the anime theme took over.

Left 4 Dead as a film? Why? Left 4 Dead basically contains every cliche from every zombie film ever made. Why would you create a film based on a game that's based on a ton of zombie films?

I voted for Splatterhouse as I think it's really the only game that would work as a film. I could see Peter Jackson (if he ever pulled the oscar out of his ass and got back to his roots), Sam Raimi, or even Van Bebber doing this game justice. Though Van Bebber would probably take 15 years to make it.

Spit
11-07-2010, 11:22 PM
It wasn't the best game in the world (too much fighting) but I liked the idea behind the old PS1 game Nightmare Creatures: killing lovecraft-like monsters in London by gaslight in the late 1800s. I could see that as a movie.

Holy shit, I remember Nightmare Creatures. I had it for the PC. The game play wasnt the greatest but I remember being impressed with the graphics at the time. It would make a good movie.

Mutilated Prey
11-08-2010, 12:24 AM
Clock Tower's original game was indeed a bit boring, but I bet it could be made into a scary flick if done right.

I actually loved Nightmare Creatures when I first got PlayStation 10+ years ago. However, from a movie standpoint it would end up being stupid like Van Helsing I bet. Has potential though.

fceurich39
11-08-2010, 02:45 AM
interested in seeing the new splatterhouse video game coming out nov 23rd and heard the original first 3 games will be included as well

aoiookami
11-08-2010, 03:00 AM
I voted for Castlevania. Assuming all the options listed in the poll were to be done properly as movies (wishful thinking, I know) I think Castlevania would have the most potential of being downright awesome. The setting, classic/gothic imagery, and all the classic monster lore mixed into 1 package (werewolves, zombies, gouls, succubus etc etc).

Fistfuck
11-08-2010, 03:26 AM
I havent played Clock Tower, and have never heard of D or Phantasmagoria.

You can get Phantasmagoria and it's sequel here: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/phantasmagoria

I remember this game being a bit controversial when it came out due to its depiction of boobies. Haven't played it in 15 years and remember almost nothing about it.

KR~!
11-08-2010, 04:09 AM
Duke Nukem is horror? Say what?

Splatterhouse is my favorite horror video game series, so I voted for that. I can't wait for the new game to be released.

KGBRadioMoskow
11-08-2010, 06:28 AM
Not Ghosts'n Goblins. Not because such a movie would necessarily suck, but because if it was true to the video game, when you got to the end you'd find out you have to watch it all over again.

JIMX1975
11-08-2010, 03:56 PM
Night Trap was fun on the Sega CD, not a franchise though, Castlevania was probably my favorite as a kid.

rhett
11-09-2010, 01:13 AM
Not Ghosts'n Goblins. Not because such a movie would necessarily suck, but because if it was true to the video game, when you got to the end you'd find out you have to watch it all over again.

Haha, man, that sucked. I know that happened to me in Ghouls'n Ghosts on the Master System, is the same true for the predecessor?

No love for D? It was a great first person haunted house exploration game with a bunch of CG FMV sequences. It was an early PS1, Sega Saturn and 3DO release. There was a spin-off, Enemy Zero, on the Saturn, and a sequel on the Dreamcast, D-2. Some of the scariest stuff I've ever played was in D, when your crazy, ghostly father was screaming your name from down the haunted halls. LAUUUUURAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Spit
11-09-2010, 03:40 AM
Night Trap was fun on the Sega CD.

There was a 'fun' game for the Sega CD other than Sewer Sharks? :hum:

Sewer Sharks would make a sweet movie....

Fistfuck
11-09-2010, 03:51 AM

Sewer Sharks would make a sweet movie....

Rise of the Dragon.

sumo8675309
11-09-2010, 05:13 AM

Snatcher (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuyUShtcn94)

KGBRadioMoskow
11-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Haha, man, that sucked. I know that happened to me in Ghouls'n Ghosts on the Master System, is the same true for the predecessor?

Similar. In Ghouls 'n Ghosts, solving the game gave you access to a weapon that allowed you to solve the game "for real this time". Ghosts 'n Goblins simply ended the first pass telling you the room was actually Satan's trap and is just an illusion. Then you get shoved back to square one, at an even higher difficulty level. I saw a kid reach this point in the arcade (back in the days before most people knew about this), and he damn near cried.

Never got anywhere near that far, myself. As amazing as the game was in graphics and music for the time, I had neither the patience nor the pocket book to get proficient at it. 'Course now in the era of MAME, its easy enough to cheat your way through the mix.

SaxCatz
11-10-2010, 04:07 AM
Totally Castlevania...
Think Van Helsing if it didn't suck.
Yeah baby...

rhett
11-10-2010, 08:11 PM

Lunar 1-2, Eternal Champions: Challenge from the Darkside, Sonic CD, Ecco 1-2, Shining Force CD, Vay, Popful Mail, Dark Wizard, Keio Flying Squadron, Robo Aleste, Lords of Thunder, Heart of the Alien, Final Fight CD, Earthworm Jim SE, Batman Returns, Ground Zero Texas, The Terminator...you're missing out!

WesReviews
11-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Other... The 7th Guest.

Can't believe I was the first to mention it, either.

Spit
11-11-2010, 06:40 AM
Lunar 1-2, Eternal Champions: Challenge from the Darkside, Sonic CD, Ecco 1-2, Shining Force CD, Vay, Popful Mail, Dark Wizard, Keio Flying Squadron, Robo Aleste, Lords of Thunder, Heart of the Alien, Final Fight CD, Earthworm Jim SE, Batman Returns, Ground Zero Texas, The Terminator...you're missing out!

No kidding, I wasted my time on the likes of Mansion of the Hidden Souls, Jurassic Park, and Panic!.

WesReviews
11-11-2010, 04:20 PM

Loved Ground Zero Texas and Corpse Killer.

NightAndFog
11-14-2010, 04:34 PM
Castlevania all the way! I've just played Castlevania Lords Of Shadow and I liked it very much.In there you had zombies, vampyres, lycans, ghouls; etc.My only wish is that they go with practical fxs instead of CGI...is that 2 much 2 ask?????

Weirdo
11-14-2010, 05:43 PM
Manhunt. Not quite a horror, but might turn into really intense movie.

KamuiX
11-14-2010, 10:26 PM

Good to see I wasn't the only kid rocking SegaCD in the early 90s :D

This still pops into my head at least twice a month: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPC8W672mXc

Spit
11-14-2010, 11:38 PM
This still pops into my head at least twice a month: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPC8W672mXc

Blast from the past. I havent heard or seen that for 15 years. It felt so cutting edge and cool at the time.

Grim
11-23-2010, 02:28 AM
Parasite Eve. I know there was a movie out already based on the book, but I'd like a film based on the game that takes place in snowy New York City. I still play that game to this day because I love the atmosphere of it so much.

Mok
11-24-2010, 06:32 PM
I saw a kid reach this point in the arcade (back in the days before most people knew about this), and he damn near cried.

:lol: Amazing. THAT should be made into a movie!

pearced
11-29-2010, 11:30 PM
Other. The Gabriel Knights games have better stories than most horror movies. Especially the first one, Sins of the Fathers, which is the best voodoo-related story I've ever come across.

Workshed
11-30-2010, 12:01 AM
I remember Night Trap! So controversial until you actually played it.

I'm gonna go with the crowd and say Castlevania, because it has so much atmosphere and potential. The soundtrack would kick ass. An awesome Castlevania film will never be made, however, and if whatever rumored project does see the light, we all know it will be filled with tried one-liners and a soundtrack featuring "Let the bodies hit the floor! Let the bodies hit the floor!"