PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fi Week

rhett
11-23-2010, 06:43 AM
After reviewing more than a movie a day here at HORROR DIGITAL, in addition to all the other horror sweepstakes that went on throughout the 31 days of October, we're a little tired. I'm of the mind you can never get TOO much horror, but sometimes a little break helps you realize just how much you miss it. We've got a few extra science fiction reviews that we weren't able to pop out during October, so I thought why not bundle them up and make a week out of it. We've got three reviews from three different time frames that we'll unleash every other day during the week here. The first, Chunkblower's review of the seminal FORBIDDEN PLANET (http://horrordigital.com/viewarticle.php?articleid=886), is now live, with two more to come on Wednesday and Friday. Then after that, it's back to your regular scheduled programing, and I've got a couple retroactive reviews of some VCI stuff that has always deserved a spot here on the site and another TV season review to post. More to come, folks, but for now, enjoy all the science fiction goodness.

Just to make a thread of it...what's your favorite sci-fi flick?

Nailwraps
11-23-2010, 07:18 AM
My favorite sci-fi flick is Star Wars.

Katatonia
11-23-2010, 08:43 AM
Empire Strikes Back would be my all-time favorite, followed by Star Wars. The original cuts!

SaxCatz
11-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Wow... there are so many. The original (unmolested) Star Wars Trilogy, particularly the Empire Strikes Back, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn, Blade Runner... just to name a few.

MoonGirl84
11-23-2010, 05:56 PM
My fave sci-fi flick of all time is Lazer Blast!

Madmax would be second

The original The Thing, and the remake The Thing because it's the best remake ever made. (And that's saying a lot for remakes). lol

Conan the Barbarian, and Red Sonja

and I always liked Flash Gordon when it used to come on HIBO in the 80's! :D

MoonGirl84
11-23-2010, 05:57 PM
I meant HBO! lol

crikan
11-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Very cool. looking forward to some scifi reviews.

My current favorite would be Blade Runner, The Thing or Alien. Over most of my life it would have been The Empire Strikes Back. All of Lucas' bullshit has soured me on the franchise over the past few years. If we ever get an unmolested but properly restored version of the original trilogy I'll stop ignoring the Star Wars franchise.

I recently watched for the first time Starcrash, Forbidden World and Galaxy of Terror. Loved 'em

Matt89
11-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Favorite sci-fi? Definitely Blade Runner, with The Terminator being a close second.

~Matt

MoonGirl84
11-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Blade Runner goes on my list, and Starcrash is cool. And Space Mutiny and The Wraith!

j tea
11-23-2010, 09:03 PM
2001, hands down, I would say Bladerunner, Alien, and The Thing as beautiful blushing runners up. I have to say that Star Wars has not held up for me. I showed it to my wife a few years ago because she had never seen it and I ended up feeling embarrassed for thinking it would be the same movie I watched religiously as a kid.

Chunkblower
11-23-2010, 09:56 PM
Totally agree with 2001, Alien, Blade Runner, The Thing, Star Wars, Empire, Terminator... all great movies.

Just to throw a new film into the mix, I'll say RoboCop.

Zillamon51
11-23-2010, 10:49 PM
Alien. It's a great science fiction, horror, and monster movie all in one.

Shannafey
11-24-2010, 01:21 AM
There are so many films that border on scifi/fantasy, but my favorite films of all time all border on that realm. Here's a sampling:

Highlander
The Road Warrior
Heavy Metal
Terminator 1 and 2
The Fifth Element
Starship Troopers
Bladerunner
The Empire Strikes Back
Star Trek 2 and 6
Hardware

Mattapooh
11-24-2010, 02:06 PM
HARD question. I love the original Star Wars trilogy, Godzilla and other kaiju flicks, Blade Runner, Escape from New York, Predator and hundreds of others... I think sci-fi might be my favorite genre.

I'm gonna have to go with Alien, I always find new reasons to enjoy it.

Shlockjock81
11-24-2010, 02:18 PM
All my favs have been mentioned. Star Wars is a given, Blade Runner, Escape from NY, Alien & Aliens, etc etc.

Favorite sci-fi guilty pleasure: Roger Corman's Forbidden World (aka Mutant)

Anaestheus
11-24-2010, 07:00 PM
"2001" easily. Followed by Tarkovsky's "Stalker" and "Solaris." Then maybe Testuo, Videodrome, Dark City, Donnie Darko (theatrical) and the original "_____ of the Damned" films. "Primer" is probably up there as well.

And, while these aren't films, Neon Genesis Evangelion and the last episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation are also pretty high up there.

ZoSo
11-24-2010, 09:26 PM

Right on! Hats off to Shout Factory for their recent excellent releases of Forbidden World and Galaxy of Terror!

Workshed
11-24-2010, 09:59 PM
Primer
Moon

are two of my recent favorites. I dig Terminator, but gave the sequel a re-watch not too long ago and found it really lacking--certainly not in the special effects, but action felt neutered.

John Carpenter's The Thing ::ducks!::, of course, ha ha.

Love that the site is taking a breather. Well deserved.

Shannafey
11-25-2010, 01:47 AM
All my favs have been mentioned. Star Wars is a given, Blade Runner, Escape from NY, Alien & Aliens, etc etc.

All stuff I love too! And stupid me, I forgot Flash Gordon. DAMN I love that film! I saw it in the theatre and many more times over the years including the recent Blu Ray!

vampyr789
11-25-2010, 04:26 AM
2001: A Space Odyssey. It's been my favorite for many, many years.
I also love The Thing
Gattaca is really good one too

othervoice1
11-25-2010, 05:56 AM
Wow that is tough - Tie between The Empire Strikes Back and Blade Runner - but here are some runner ups as well:
Any Stars Wars movie except Episodes I and II (they were watchable though)
Alien and Aliens
Serenity
Fifth Element (Didnt really like it first time I saw but now I love it)
12 Monkeys
Ghost in the Shell
Akira
The Thing
and Donnie Darko too if that counts
But I like a lot of Sci-Fi - these are just the ones that popped in my head right away

JGrendel
11-26-2010, 06:19 AM
I gotta go the t.v. route on this one. Two of my personal favorites are:
Battlestar Glacttica (original)
V (original)

MoonGirl84
11-28-2010, 05:51 AM
V mainstream, but original would be my close friend Stefan Arngrim. He always told me that nasty people don't deserve my time. He was my buddy on Facebook and I miss a lot.

Moon

MoonGirl84
11-28-2010, 05:53 AM
I miss my Stefan a lot!