PDA

View Full Version : Worst Silent Night, Deadly Night Sequel

rhett
12-13-2010, 06:49 PM
'Tis the season, where Christmas lights go up and horror fans the world over yell "GARBAGE DAY!!!!!!!" to unsuspecting civilians. The SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT series has certainly had its weird run of sequels - which one is the worst?

fceurich39
12-13-2010, 07:27 PM
i love this series i watch the first film every x-mas eve but for me part 3 has to be the worst everytime i watch it i just want the damn thing to end

dave13
12-13-2010, 07:32 PM
none! not sure how this series slipped by me. i certainly enjoy the first one. maybe it's just cause i've heard nothing buy crap about the sequels? but that didn't keep me from watching several of the children of the corn and the howling sequels. maybe i should track some of these down. at the very least, i owe it to myself to see the second one. part II's are often some of the most interesting sequels, if not always the best.

Hellbilly
12-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Technically Part 2, but the badness is hilarious. Voted for Part 3 because the badness in that one isn't very funny. I still enjoy them all for what they are, and I'll be watching all soon :)

fceurich39
12-13-2010, 07:49 PM
none! not sure how this series slipped by me. i certainly enjoy the first one. maybe it's just cause i've heard nothing buy crap about the sequels? but that didn't keep me from watching several of the children of the corn and the howling sequels. maybe i should track some of these down. at the very least, i owe it to myself to see the second one. part II's are often some of the most interesting sequels, if not always the best.

part 2 might hard to find but 3,4,5 set from lionsgate can be found pretty easily

springjack
12-13-2010, 08:00 PM
part 2 might hard to find but 3,4,5 set from lionsgate can be found pretty easily

Not at all.

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/815500

MisterTwister
12-13-2010, 09:37 PM
I enjoy all the sequels (especially Part 2) but I voted for Part 4 because despite it's bizarre nature it wasn't Christmas enough.

rhett
12-13-2010, 11:04 PM
Voted for Part 3 because the badness in that one isn't very funny.
Is it live, or is it Memorex?

satans-sadists
12-13-2010, 11:16 PM
Haven't seen all of these, but Part 2 was really awful!

throatsprockets
12-14-2010, 01:51 AM
I love them all. Part 2 makes Part 1 unnecessary as it repeats the good bits; Part 3 has Bill Moseley with an exposed brain; Part 4 has Reggie from Phantasm, Clint Howard, and Screaming Mad george rubber weirdness; and Part 5 has Mickey Rooney and killer toys.

Katatonia
12-14-2010, 02:18 AM
Definitely Initiation: Silent Night, Deadly Night 4. That one is just terrible...not to mention having virtually nothing to do with the series.

CPT HOOK
12-14-2010, 03:59 AM
I would vote for the first movie if I could. One of the most overrated slashers out there.

Though I do enjoy the "Warm Side Of The Door" montage.

Chunkblower
12-14-2010, 06:08 AM
They're all pretty terrible, but part 3 is so dull it's the only one I can't seem to watch in a single sitting.

evildeadfan123
12-14-2010, 07:04 PM
Have to go with the 2nd one. About 1/2 of it was like a flashback to the first one, but I do have all 5 movies on DVD, and I haven't seen the Parts 3-5 in some time. I will be watching them this weekend.

springjack
12-14-2010, 07:52 PM
I would vote for the first movie if I could. One of the most overrated slashers out there.

Though I do enjoy the "Warm Side Of The Door" montage.

:eek:

CPT HOOK
12-14-2010, 09:19 PM
Christmas Evil used the same idea 4 years earlier, and did it 100 times better.

The whole SN,DN franchise is pretty bad, I like the idea but the execution is weak. If I had to pick, Initiation and The Toy Maker are my favorites.

But I'd be lying if I said I didn't watch them every December.

Myron Breck
12-15-2010, 01:26 AM
I haven't seen 3, 4 or 5 yet althought I bought the set some time ago.
I could almost punch myself in the face for selling-off my 1 & 2 set years ago as I love them both and really hoped to see them again before finishing out the series. I mean, "bad" is a relative term and while the 1st two could definitely be lumped into that catagory by most people, they are quite charming and bring me great joy.

rhett
12-15-2010, 01:28 AM
Christmas Evil used the same idea 4 years earlier, and did it 100 times better.Setting the merits of each film aside, I'd argue that both are quite different other than having a killer Santa. One is more of an introspective drama along the lines of Taxi Driver (Christmas Evil), while the other is more firmly a slasher film. Christmas Evil follows an aged loner in the midst of a mid-life crisis. Silent Night, Deadly Night is rooted more in that slasher staple of Catholic guilt and punishment, taking itself much less seriously and focusing more on the mayhem. The arc of either film is completely different, since one Santa is an older man looking back on life while the other is a young man still traumatized by his childhood. Calling both films the same is like calling Friday the 13th and Summer Camp Nightmare the same movie because they both take place at camp.

CPT HOOK
12-15-2010, 04:04 AM
Both movies are about men who had witnessed a traumatizing event involving Santa Claus when they were children, then growing up and being pushed to their snapping point. The premise is pretty much the same.

I found Christmas Evil to be self-aware, with the right balance of dark humor and psychological drama. In my opinion, it is Silent Night, Deadly Night that takes itself too seriously. It seemed they were attempting the character study approach as well, following the boy to adulthood. Only it is so poorly scripted, it fails and bogs down the entire movie.

Aside from the opening attack, the mayhem in Silent Night, Deadly Night doesn't kick in until after the halfway mark. The movie revolves around Billy, not his victims.

I'd say both movies use the same idea, despite the differences in tone. I think the comparison between the two is valid.

Had I mentioned something like To All A Good Night (which is your typical Prom Night / Friday The 13th style slasher flick), there would be no room for comparison.

shithead
12-16-2010, 05:44 AM
Why so many votes for SNDN 2? It's quite possibly the greatest shitty movie ever made, and unbelievably entertaining.

Initiation is the worst sequel by far, the whole movie is a giant WTF?

Cooperkill
12-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Part 2 is comically terrible.
Part 3 is boringly terrible.
Part 4 is confusingly terrible.
Part 5 is unabashedly terrible.

The worst? Part 5, if not for the sheer suckiness than for naming the eventual villains Joe Petto and Pino. Ugh.

spawningblue
12-16-2010, 07:04 PM
I voted for part 2. It would be a so bad it's good movie if it wasn't for the fact that 2/3rds of the movies are flashback scenes from part 1, edited flashbacks I may add with all the gore and good stuff cut out. The scenes actually shot for the movie are worth watching though as the actor is so damn bad!

Part 3 is terrible as well, and just really boring. No good kill scenes and other then the main guy being worth a laugh for his 80s haircut and jean jacket suit the movie is really hard to get through.

Part 4 has nothing really to do with Christmas and you can tell the Silent Night title was tacked on at the last second. It is just way too damn weird and boring to be enjoyed.

Part 5 is the only sequel that I thought was any good. It too was crazy and weird, but it didn't take itself too seriously and was a lot of fun. It had the most Christmas elements in it, some of the kills were decent, Mickey Rooney was over the top and crazy, and the ending was actually quite atmospheric and unexpected, especially the robot humping the woman and saying I love you Mommy.

shockwave
12-23-2010, 06:42 AM
I don't see how this is a contest, Part 2 was so ungodly horrible, not only from half of the film being clips of the first one, to the horrible acting, to the obvious mannequin getting shocked, and I haven't even seen it in about 10 years but I remember all that. I can't remember much about 4 and i don't think I've seen 5 but well, I don't see how they could possibly be worse.

Zillamon51
12-23-2010, 08:41 AM
I just got the entire series on DVD, so I'll be back to vote after watching them all. I just watched the first one tonight, after not seeing it for many years. It was one of my fave slashers through the late '80s - early '90s. Great to revisit it.

PUNISH!

Zillamon51
01-10-2011, 05:08 PM
I watched them all. I voted for Part 4 (Initiation) as the worst. It's pointless, icky, and has little to do w/ the holiday. Here's my overall ranking:

- Part 2. Despite the stock footage, I love it. Even my GF enjoyed "that guy's particular brand of overacting."

- Part 3. Not very good. Too slow. Didn't do enough w/ its premise (blind girl w/ psychic connection to disturbed killer) or Bill Moseley w/ his brain exposed.

- Part 5 (The Toy Maker). Not the best killer toy movie I've seen. The early Puppet Masters are better. To be fair, I've only seen it once, though.

- Part 4. As above.

Dobby
01-12-2011, 02:38 AM
They're all candy canes and rainbows. Why no love for part 4 on here wtf? That's my favorite of all the sequels.