PDA

View Full Version : HATCHET II Blu-ray Contest

rhett
02-01-2011, 11:21 PM
After a controversial theatrical run, Adam Green's sequel, HATCHET II, finally hits Blu-ray and DVD today. To commemorate the second rebirthing of the American slasher, we've got 3 Blu-rays to give away to all you lucky readers. What do you have to do? Click here to find out![/b]
http://www.horrordigital.com/reviews/contests/blucon.jpg

After a controversial theatrical run, Adam Green's sequel, HATCHET II, finally hits Blu-ray and DVD today. To commemorate the second rebirthing of the American slasher, we've got 3 Blu-rays to give away to all you lucky readers. What do you have to do? Just tell us what your favorite past tragedy in a slasher movie is!

What do we mean by "past tragedy"? You know, the bit in a slasher movie, often at the start, where the killer or someone connected to the killer features a traumatic incident before the inevitable "10 Years Later" title card. In HALLOWEEN, it's Michael's opening shot Steadicam stab. In FRIDAY THE 13TH, it's late night counselor talk about how this small disfigured boy drowned in the lake while two of the counselors were getting it on. Or in SLEEPAWAY CAMP it's the boating accident where a lazy teenager drives too close to the shore and runs over a couple little kids swimming. It is the scene that sets up the legend of all those unforgettable slasher bad guys or girls.

The first HATCHET did such a great job of harkening back to the good slashers of old with its lengthy backstory sequence where Kane Hodder, as Victor Crowley's father, accidentally hacks his son's screaming face with a hatchet when trying to rescue the disfigured boy from a Halloween prank gone wrong. The second hopefully continues in that tradition, and you may get the chance to see it on a free Blu-ray if your response is picked!

All you have to do is make a single post in this thread telling us your favorite past tragedy in a slasher flick and why it's your favorite. In a week's time, on Tuesday, February 8th, three winners will be randomly selected. Your copy of HATCHET II will then be shipped right to your door. Not bad!

http://www.horrordigital.com/reviews/contests/hatchet2.jpg

So horror fans and slasher buffs, tell us your favorite past tragedy in a slasher and you could get the new HATCHET starring mini-scream queen Danielle Harris on Blu-ray.

NOTE: Contest is open to those with a US address only. If you live outside the USA (like me!) you can still enter, since we'd love to hear your pick, but if you win you'd have to provide a US address of a relative or perhaps a kind American member on this board to qualify!

Let the contest begin...Victor Crowley lives!

walkingdude
02-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Marty Ranzen's "lab accident" in Slaughter High.:)

KamuiX
02-02-2011, 12:08 AM
I guess this would count: Courtney's mental state in Slumber Party Massacre II after the event's of the first. Because it paves the way for the most hip-shakin', drill-guitar playin', break dancin' killer in the history of film :D

ReelFear
02-02-2011, 12:15 AM
I'm gonna have to go with PROM NIGHT (1980).
The opening tragedy had me thinking "The Killers Are Coming" for years!

highclassrob
02-02-2011, 12:28 AM
Poor Cropsey getting burned in "The Burning".

rxfiend
02-02-2011, 12:36 AM
I liked the one in "Pieces" where the kid gets caught putting together a nudie puzzle, then hacks up his mom. lol

bigwes15
02-02-2011, 12:42 AM
Without a doubt I have to go Madman Marz's rampage where he hacked up his family and then went down to the local tavern with his axe to order a beer(the last part not shown, but still memorable in the retelling).

Copyboy
02-02-2011, 12:43 AM
As far as showing the tragedy, definitely the opening scene in Halloween, but as far as recounting the tragedy and the legend surrounding it, I've got to go with John Furey and the cast of Friday the 13th Part 2 sitting around the campfire as he starts off, "Now I don't want to scare anyone, but I'm going to give it to you straight about Jason . . . " Totally captures the essence of what every Friday film should be.

Mattapooh
02-02-2011, 12:57 AM
"Halloween", if only for the boobs on Judith Myers. Seeing a rack like that in a 70s exploitation flick is like striking oil in your backyard.

dave13
02-02-2011, 01:09 AM
What about George Lucas' twin brother stumbling upon his wife in bed with a plumber (electrician?) in The Forest, then carving her up with a giant saw in front of their kids! Awesome!

Caspar2112
02-02-2011, 01:18 AM
I am going to have to say the Black Christmas Remake, just a crazy crazy nonsensical prelude that runs from hilarious to stupid. The inbreeding, the almost super powers of Billy and his sister. Good Gory Fun.

Katatonia
02-02-2011, 01:22 AM
I'll have to go with Eric's house burning tragedy in Phantom of the Mall: Eric's Revenge.

Get laid, get fried.

Mutilated Prey
02-02-2011, 01:37 AM
Silent Night Deadly Night where Santa kills Billy's parents - Ho Ho Ho!!! It's dark in the middle of nowhere. You see Santa on the side of the road and have a couple little kids that should be psyched, but no! Billy knew and so his pop got shot and mom got felt up and throat slit!

tropical marsh
02-02-2011, 01:41 AM
The Prowler: A WWII soldier gets a Dear John letter upon his return from the battlefield. The spurned trooper goes to the local dance and finds his best girl in the arms of another man. The rest is history, folks. :cry:

Grim
02-02-2011, 01:47 AM
I gotta go with The Burning. I'm always creeped out thinking about how those kids came into the possession of a decomposing head.

Bluenoser
02-02-2011, 02:04 AM
I'm not sure if this qualifies as tragedy, but it came to my mind as backstory... the very bizarre flashbacks in Sleepaway Camp with Angela, Ricky and that creepy aunt. It might not be tragic, but the film seems to make the link between the past and the present.

Harry Warden
02-02-2011, 02:12 AM
Gotta go with Prom Night (1980). The death of the young girl who falls has always stuck a chord with me and shows how cruel kids can be. (not to mention adults..thus why we had the movie in the first place :D ).

Suicide
02-02-2011, 03:01 AM
I'll say The Burning as well. Poor Cropsey

fattyjoe37
02-02-2011, 03:42 AM
Gotta go with the classic tragedy of Jason's drowning in Friday the 13th (1980). It made for one miffed momma!

SaxCatz
02-02-2011, 03:59 AM
The Jason "rapes" Christie perversion of the Friday the 13th back story in part III. Not because I think its good but because its so out of left-field and doesn't fit with the tone of any of the other films.

blu
02-02-2011, 04:52 AM
"Halloween", if only for the boobs on Judith Myers. Seeing a rack like that in a 70s exploitation flick is like striking oil in your backyard.

I like this scene a lot too. Sure the nice rack is great, but also because you know you're in for a good horror movie when a little kid walks into his sister's bedroom and stabs her to death. This was one of the first horror films I saw with the killer being a kid. It sure beats The Omen.

maskull
02-02-2011, 04:59 AM
Prom Night (1980). As was stated previously the death of the young girl and the reactions of her family still touch a chord with me every time I watch this movie. It makes the ending that much better as well.

bwana the clown
02-02-2011, 10:24 AM
Pieces. You just don't mess with a guy's nudie jigsaw.

chancetx
02-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Another vote for PROM NIGHT. Kids can be real dicks and they just took it to the extreme. I'd have wanted to get revenge on them too.

shithead
02-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Gotta go with the classic tragedy of Jason's drowning in Friday the 13th (1980). It made for one miffed momma!

Seconded.

BBQ
02-02-2011, 02:09 PM
I'll go with the start of Terror Train where Jamie Lee Curtis sets up the geeky kid to make out with a cadaver in front of everybody. That would mess a person up.

booper71
02-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Georges axe attack on parents when he catches them in the throws of bdsm sex. The stuff of nightmares. Nightmare in a damaged brain.,

evildeadfan123
02-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Have to go with Alice from Friday the 13th Part 2. We think that she is going to live after all the mayhem in Friday The
13th, only to see her open the door, with severed head of Jason's mother, and Alice getting a Ice Pick jammed into her head.

bigdaddyhorse
02-02-2011, 03:52 PM
I know this is gonna sound so wrong, but I'm going with Victor Crowley's origin from Hatchet II. Those scenes touched a brother's heart, and who knew Kane had all that in him?

Maybe it's because it's freshest in my head from watching it last night, but I thought that part (and the whole film for that matter) was really well done, and extra points for making sense....

Ampersand
02-02-2011, 05:38 PM
Unreservedly, The Prowler. How dare Avalon Bay celebrate graduation 30+ years after our returning-war-hero killer got his heart stomped on through the snail mail (and pitchforked a heart in kind)? They really ought to have known better. Watch enough movies, you can see these things coming.

Runner up, Terror Train and its emasculating corpse smooch.

hotbodynick
02-02-2011, 06:24 PM
I love the "tragedy" scene in Visiting Hours where Michael Ironside remembers his dad randomly trying to rape his mom in the kitchen while she's cooking and she randomly happens to have a pot of bubbling cooking oil on the stove to throw at him... which has nothing to do with any reason to run around a hospital and kill off people!

marcx
02-02-2011, 06:33 PM
while not 100% a slasher, I am going to go with the christmas scene stabbing in the flashback of the credits of deep red...

old-boo-radley
02-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Halloween, I always loved the mask-cam.

hellraiser40
02-02-2011, 08:51 PM
i'm going with the original Halloween, the following slashers mostly got a variation without real differences

Kim Bruun
02-02-2011, 09:30 PM
I have to go with one of the obvious ones: Jason's supposed drowning in Friday the 13th. Betsy Palmer rocks that "did you know that a young boy drowned..." monologue - Mrs. Voorhees would have been beyond devastated, seeing how Jasons death shaped her. He may have been mentally deficient and physically deformed, but she loved him.

othervoice1
02-02-2011, 11:42 PM
Ill go with the past tragedy in the movie "Valentine". Yea thats right I said it <:
That was pretty messed up and, kind of like Prom Night, shows how mean and selfish kids can be. In this case it also shows how important self image can be at that age even at the expense of hurting and traumatizing someone else. I felt really bad for Jeremy Melton in that movie.

Shannafey
02-03-2011, 01:37 AM
It's a bit cliche, but Jason's "death" in the original Friday the 13th.

soxfan666
02-03-2011, 01:47 AM
The Garth Manor killings in Hell Night for me.

The Doctor
02-03-2011, 02:53 AM
I gotta go with SLAUGHTER HIGH. It was the first one that came to mind, and also one that every bullied nerd can relate to. Showing how cruel the kids were to Marty (and they blame him for it when they're caught, DOUCHEBAGS) and the extreme measures they go to in bullying him racks up the sympathy points and makes you want to see the dicks get their comeuppance (even if a few seem to show remorse after the accident).

The Doctor
02-03-2011, 02:55 AM
(Double-posted. Sorry)

MaxRenn
02-03-2011, 03:22 AM
Hiding under the bed in the original My Bloody Valentine

Ninjalo
02-03-2011, 04:07 AM
Silent Night, Deadly Night for me!!! Kid sees santa kill his folks after the warning from gramps, f'd up :-)

citizentoxie
02-03-2011, 04:10 AM
it may not count as a slasher but being ripped out with a rusty hanger by a seriously ticked off pimp in Ryan Nicholson's HANGER was pretty crazy!

mcchrist
02-03-2011, 07:15 AM
"Who's going to bring me ice cream now, Momma?" - Ice Cream Man

Erick H.
02-03-2011, 08:04 AM
It's a close call between this and PROM NIGHT but I'll go with the original MY BLOODY VALENTINE.The crew watching the methane levels are so excited to get to the Valentine's Day party that they cut out early.The mine shaft explodes and entombs the remaining men.When they finally dig out the sole survivor,Harry Warden,they find out how he managed to avoid starvation while trapped underground for so long...

Shuddery stuff !

pieces35
02-03-2011, 04:39 PM
I love the opening scene of "PIECES, where the kid is trying to put the puzzle together and then kills mom!!!

KILLER!!!

spawningblue
02-03-2011, 07:57 PM
A little cliche, but I'm going to go with the opening from Halloween. I couldn't imagine how effective that would have been to theater goers at the time. Being one of my favourite horror films, it is still very effective for me, even if the first person stalk and kill has been done to death now. I also love the reveal at the end that the killer is just a young suburban child. Carpenter knows how to open a film!

Other notable entries would be Pieces, Terror Train, The Burning, The Prowler, Hatchet, and for sheer craziness, Silent Night, Deadly Night.

baggio
02-03-2011, 08:13 PM
I'll go with Silent Night, Deadly Night. Seeing Santa wipe out the family sending him over the edge.

mrcafejava
02-04-2011, 02:13 AM
The entire backstory of the killer in Silent Night Deadly Night! It took it's time and made me sympathetic.

HoldenMcNeil
02-04-2011, 06:30 AM
I'm going to have to go with the boating accident of Sleepaway Camp. The ending itself is a tragedy; crazy to think that a mom could do that to a child.

adric
02-04-2011, 06:33 AM
the burning

killit
02-04-2011, 09:29 PM
The original torturing of the student turned killer. Why? Because Pledge Night is awesome! Also the warlock/artist from the beyond gets a mention. Good luck to er'body

joltaddict
02-05-2011, 10:37 AM
Tragedy? You want tragedy? How about babysitting some brat and somebody killed it and is in the house fucking with you like a cat with a half dead mouse?

Granted, its only the first ten minutes or so, but still, gotta go with When A Stranger Calls.

The calls... THEYRE COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE!!!!

17thJuggalo
02-06-2011, 06:56 AM
I'd have to go with Pieces. I still love the fact that it was supposed to be set in the 1940's, yet there's clearly a pennant for the New England Patriots in the background.

bloodthrill
02-07-2011, 06:49 AM
Though I wouldn't 100% call it a slasher,(even though it plays something like a bodycount flick)the senseless killing of Ed Harley's boy in Pumpkinhead got to me even as a child.

Was it the poor little bumpkin's nerdy-thick glasses? The soft, country twang to his voice?

I think it was that Billy was all Harley had,so isolated from the rest of the world.With his only boy gone,he cared little enough for himself to sell his soul to the devil, just to get revenge on the careless city folk. Good characterization all-around to boot,so you kind of felt for the more innocent of the hunted kids,while still understanding Harley's choice.

Vincent Pina
02-07-2011, 06:57 PM
Another vote for Pieces. So the kid liked nudie pics in puzzle form. Let the kid dream a little.

Jason101
02-08-2011, 12:52 AM
I like the beginning of "Terror Train" where the prank against Kenny Hampson goes wrong. Also, it was a great idea having the killer disguise himself differently all throughout the costume party on the train.

ZoSo
02-08-2011, 04:58 AM
I will also go with Pieces!

gyhorrorfan07
02-08-2011, 04:38 PM
I'll go with The Burning. Man, hearing those terrifying screams from Cropsy. No wonder that man went crazy like he did.

rhett
02-09-2011, 05:50 AM
Thanks everyone for the submissions, the contest is now closed. It was great reading everyone's responses...I think I'd cheat and vote "All of the above"! So many good ones! I was never a fan of the sleaze in THE BURNING, but if there's one thing I really do think the film got right, it's that awesome Cropsy backstory. Coupled with Rick Wakeman's music and it's my favorite. Props, though, to Hatchet for really taking the time to get the legend right in both films!

Anyway, without further adieu...the three winners of HATCHET II on Blu-ray are:

baggio
ReelFear
Vincent Pina

Congrats you old dogs! Please send me your name and US shipping address and I'll have these sent out to you right away.

Thanks all for participating, and stay tuned for more contests, as always, in the future!

gyhorrorfan07
02-09-2011, 06:37 AM
Congrats guys.

TheShape
02-10-2011, 05:07 AM
Prom Night for me. This opening is still original for a slasher flick, even more than 30 years later. I say "for a slasher flick" not in a pejorative way but because I could have been easily suited to a psychological drama where the now adult kids are trying to cope with the trauma.

Erick H.
02-10-2011, 07:00 AM
Congrats guys !

baggio
02-10-2011, 03:08 PM
Very cool.

Thank you for running these contests here on this board. This dvd was definitely on my short list to buy currently.

Thanks again.

bigdaddyhorse
02-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Very cool.

Thank you for running these contests here on this board. This dvd was definitely on my short list to buy currently.

Thanks again.

Careful, while it is a very fun follow-up to the first film, it sucks in the playoffs.:D:evil:

Congrats all.

othervoice1
02-13-2011, 04:22 AM
Congrats Winners!

rhett
02-22-2011, 05:28 PM
Okay guys, no response from either marcx or hellraiser40.

First two users (with a US address) to reply here win copies. Go!

ReelFear
02-22-2011, 05:30 PM
I would love a blu ray of Hatchet 2!

I live in the US. too.

will send you my address by PM.

Vincent Pina
02-22-2011, 05:47 PM
I'll take one, thanks!

rhett
02-22-2011, 06:02 PM
That was quick, thanks guys! Contest now (re-)closed!

Mutilated Prey
02-23-2011, 01:01 AM
Argh!!!

Haha - congrats guys!

ReelFear
03-08-2011, 05:37 AM
Thanks again Rhett for the Blu of HATCHET 2.

Overall, it's better than the first. Lots of gore, cool cameos, and horror movie references.

bigdaddyhorse
03-08-2011, 10:51 PM
Congrats new winners.:D

John Blythe
03-30-2011, 08:56 AM
Congrats to the winners! Although, I have to be honest that I am still angry AMC Independent didn't let this film have a decent theatrical release as promised.

Everxon
05-31-2011, 08:24 AM
I like the beginning of "Terror Train" where the prank against Kenny Hampson goes wrong. Also, it was a great idea having the killer disguise himself differently all throughout the costume party on the train.

if he went for a different costume, would he be spotted as easily? haha

frightfan
07-04-2011, 08:49 PM
I loved the backstory of 'Silent Night, Deadly Night' as well.