PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Blank From Hell Movie

rhett
02-04-2011, 08:09 PM
I'm going to come straight out and say this - one of my favorite guilty pleasures is the whole "______ from hell" sub-genre, where some everyday person (be it your Stepfather, Paperboy, colleague, roommate, ex, etc.) ends up being completely batshit crazy. With the genre receiving another tweeny offering with THE ROOMMATE this Super Bowl weekend, let's maybe reflect on the better ones...and give me some suggestions on some others I should check out!

Anthropophagus
02-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell.

Hellbilly
02-04-2011, 08:46 PM
Misery, with Fatal Attraction coming in second.

Anthropophagus
02-04-2011, 08:51 PM
In terms of sheer quality film making I would vote for The Hand That Rocks The Cradle, even though The Crush was very enjoyable too.
I just saw The Roommate about an hour ago and it feels like an episode of Dawson's Creek with a psycho roomie thrown in, the teen girls in the audience seemed to get a kick out of it but I found it a little dull and very predictable. Probably best for big fans of Minka Kelly, just recently found out she's the daughter of former Aerosmith guitarist Rick Dufay.

CPT HOOK
02-04-2011, 09:13 PM
I'm a sucker for this sub-genre as well. Some great stuff listed, including some underrated gems like Mikey!

I went with The Paperboy! I love that movie, I own the VHS and I used to watch it constantly on USA when I was younger.

Though I was tempted to vote for Hand That Rocks The Cradle or Poison Ivy (which is another guilty pleasure favorite I used to watch constantly on TBS as a kid).

Harry Warden
02-04-2011, 11:18 PM
Pacific Heights,, followed by Fatal Attraction.

Copyboy
02-05-2011, 12:07 AM
A lot of fun movies on that list but I've got to go with Bette Davis as the sister from hell in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?

_pi_
02-05-2011, 12:18 AM
Adopted Child From Hell: ORPHAN!

No really, that film is all sorts of awesome.

Katatonia
02-05-2011, 01:59 AM
Definitely the original The Stepfather, but Mikey would be a close second.

Anthropophagus
02-05-2011, 03:06 AM
Adopted Child From Hell: ORPHAN!

No really, that film is all sorts of awesome.

Love that one, it really surpassed my expectations.

msw7
02-05-2011, 04:17 AM
Single White Female, with Misery a close second

/Jennifer Jason Leigh fan

Erick H.
02-05-2011, 06:53 AM
Gotta go with Eastwood's PLAY MISTY FOR ME,the blueprint for FATAL ATTRACTION.Jessica Walters is great in that one.

chancetx
02-06-2011, 04:40 AM
Lots of favorites on that list but I had to go with the original child from hell - THE BAD SEED. Sure it's campy and dated but Patty McCormack is still damn chilling as the little girl with no conscience. Without Rhoda there would have been no Esther.

And that annoying piano tune she plays is as embedded in my brain as The Twilight Zone theme.

CPT HOOK
02-06-2011, 07:17 PM
It is not my favorite, but worth mentioning: The Cable Guy. :lol:

It is on Showtime right now.

indiephantom
02-07-2011, 03:22 AM
really enjoy this subgenre. One Hour Photo gets my vote, just because it's so well made.

DVD-fanatic-9
02-07-2011, 01:09 PM
My personal favorite - stylistically, I know it rather sucks - is Poison Ivy. If they had had a better story but all of the same style and music (except for that one sorta-Nelson sounding song, I would like it every bit as much.

MarkWarner
02-08-2011, 04:43 AM
One Hour Photo, with Fatal Attraction a distant second.

bloodthrill
02-08-2011, 05:59 AM
Play Misty,but I also an enjoy two selections that aren't posted: Malicious,featuring a topless Molly Ringwald, nautical themed woman-on-top bondage,and so many direct rips offs from "Misty" that Clint Eastwood shoulda sued....and cheese-tastic Rob Malenfant classic,The Landlady,featuring Rocky Balboa's main squeeze as an aging inheritor of an apartment building full of ne'er-do-wells she feels she must kill in comical ways, (fridge door, candlestick bludgeoning/pimp frame-up,etc) when they don't meet her skewed sense of moral standard.When she sets her sights on a single male tenant who makes the mistake of being nice to her,the fun really begins.

LL feels like a TV movie,with some seriously hilarious dialogue,but Talia rocks it on the cheap with what she's given.

aoiookami
02-08-2011, 04:39 PM
I've always had a soft spot for The Good Son; I guess because I watched it when I was a kid and have viewed it with rose colored glasses since? I dunno, it will always be a guilty pleasure..

KGBRadioMoskow
02-08-2011, 10:14 PM
A lot of fun movies on that list but I've got to go with Bette Davis as the sister from hell in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?

Went for Misery, but if the above had been on the list, I'd have voted for it. Some classics have yet to be topped, and this one does so wrong so right.

In terms of sheer quality film making I would vote for The Hand That Rocks The Cradle, even though The Crush was very enjoyable too.

Admit it, you just like seeing Rebecca De Mornay's rack.

satans-sadists
02-08-2011, 10:50 PM
The Stepfather is my favorite. Play Misty For Me would rank second.

rhett
02-09-2011, 06:08 AM
Admit it, you just like seeing Rebecca De Mornay's rack.

This is one of life's absolutes. To admit to this would be to admit the obvious.

Hatchetwarrior
02-11-2011, 12:41 AM
The Stepfather for me, with Misery and One Hour Photo taking a close second place and I've never seen Play Misty For Me so I can't comment on that. As for the rest on this list, meh.

CPT HOOK
02-11-2011, 03:57 AM
I thought of two more fun ones: Fear (with Marky Mark and Reese Witherspoon) and Mother's Boys (with Jaime Lee Curtis).

DVD-fanatic-9
02-12-2011, 06:28 PM
I thought of two more fun ones: Fear (with Marky Mark and Reese Witherspoon) and Mother's Boys (with Jaime Lee Curtis).
They do belong on this list.

NightAndFog
02-13-2011, 01:55 PM
Fatal Attraction! Though it repeats the subject from Play Misty For Me, I think it has several improvements over it.Chief among them, the addition of the guy being married.
It has powerful performances, believable characters and a very good pace.Misery is great also.Orphan I liked everything but the cliched ending.

NightAndFog
02-13-2011, 01:57 PM
...and Fear with a very hot Resee Witherspoon was very good too!

JGrendel
02-13-2011, 05:12 PM
What about Poison Ivy?

DVD-fanatic-9
02-13-2011, 06:53 PM
What about Poison Ivy?
What do you mean?
That's on the list. I voted for it. :)

Reese was much better in Freeway. A must-see for anywhere here who hasn't. By far one of the best crime films ever made!!

Anthropophagus
02-18-2011, 06:30 PM
I'll go on record and state that Poison Ivy is probably one of the worst films I've ever seen. The combination of that annoying narration and that Gilbert actress from Roseanne is atrocious. I'm normally a fan of Drew Barrymore and Cheryl Ladd but even they were embarrassing in this. Picked it up for five bucks recently thinking it would have at least a little of The Crush's charm, but boy did it suck. To each his own though.
On the other hand, just watched Eyes of a Stranger and thought it definitely fits in the Neighbor from Hell category, well done and suspenseful as well. Definitely worth a watch.
De Mornay's rack is a good reason to watch The Hand That Rocks The Cradle, but it's also very well paced and features great performances from Sciorra, De Mornay, Moore and especially Ernie Hudson.

dave13
02-18-2011, 06:40 PM
De Mornay's rack is a good reason to watch The Hand That Rocks The Cradle, but it's also very well paced and features great performances from Sciorra, De Mornay, Moore and especially Ernie Hudson.

I like Hand That Rocks the Cradle, so it should be watched on it's own merrits. But if you're going to watch a movie for De Mornay's rack, why would you watch anything other than Risky Business?

Anthropophagus
02-18-2011, 10:41 PM
I like Hand That Rocks the Cradle, so it should be watched on it's own merrits. But if you're going to watch a movie for De Mornay's rack, why would you watch anything other than Risky Business?

Haven't seen Risky Business, I tend to avoid Tom Cruise, he gets on my nerves. May check it out based on your recommendation.

Demoni
02-18-2011, 11:36 PM
Though I was tempted to vote for Hand That Rocks The Cradle or Poison Ivy (which is another guilty pleasure favorite I used to watch constantly on TBS as a kid).

Poison Ivy... a guilty pleasure! :sperm:

You wanker!!! :D

Haven't seen Risky Business, I tend to avoid Tom Cruise, he gets on my nerves. May check it out based on your recommendation.

Risky Business is CLASSIC.

Even if Tom Cruise gets on your nerves, give this a go!
Many good things come from this movie... Rebecca De Mornay great skinny body, Joe Pantoliano as a pimp, classic Bronson Pinchot and Curtis Armstrong stuff, and a great soundtrack. YouŽll love it!

Anthropophagus
02-19-2011, 12:17 AM
Poison Ivy... a guilty pleasure! :sperm:

You wanker!!! :D

Risky Business is CLASSIC.

Even if Tom Cruise gets on your nerves, give this a go!
Many good things come from this movie... Rebecca De Mornay great skinny body, Joe Pantoliano as a pimp, classic Bronson Pinchot and Curtis Armstrong stuff, and a great soundtrack. YouŽll love it!

Sounds good, will do.

DVD-fanatic-9
02-20-2011, 10:46 AM
I also want to recommend Risky Business- I actually liked it.

I really need to re-watch Hand That Rocks the Cradle. I would have, even bought it, but the first time I saw it I was very disappointed.

As for Poison Ivy vs. The Crush, I'm glad to find as many people here enjoyed them as me, but Crush stunk just as much as Poison Ivy did. Alicia Silverstone always beats Drew Barrymore (though I like both), but Poison Ivy had style. And since I'm a style-whore, that's why I voted for it. Crush had better pop / rock / alternative songs but Ivy had a great score (only adding to the great look and feel of the movie).