PDA

View Full Version : Was Amityville Real?

rhett
03-08-2011, 09:18 PM
With the new documentary MY AMITYVILLE HORROR forthcoming, I figured I'd put it out to the readers what you all thought about the Amityville stuff. Real, hoax, or somewhere in between? Vote and then share your opinions in this thread.

JGrendel
03-08-2011, 09:27 PM
For me it's hard to say cause what I don't understand is if all this kind of stuff was happening to me. I would've gotten out of the house way before they did.

CPT HOOK
03-08-2011, 09:28 PM
I thought it was admitted that it was a hoax? I can't remember a source, but I could have sworn I remember reading that.

dave13
03-08-2011, 09:50 PM
While I absolutely love films about the supernatural, I'm pretty secure in denouncing it as hooey. That goes for pretty much any form of mysticism, spirituality, or superstition as well. Stoneage malarkey.

Marshall Crist
03-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Yeah, the hoaxsters admitted it was a hoax. Duh. Book was still shelved in non-fiction the last time I checked though.

Anthropophagus
03-08-2011, 10:51 PM
I think Amityville was a hoax, however I would not dismiss the supernatural as being wholly fiction. During a stay at the reportedly haunted Chateau Laurier a few years back I experienced a series of events, if it had been just one thing I would have been the first to call bullshit or relegate it to an overactive imagination however it was a slew of events during a 72 hour stay backed up by similar reports from fairly credible journalists from the CBC which I only discovered after my initial experience.

Workshed
03-08-2011, 10:54 PM
I'm withholding judgment until I receive confirmation from poster Cerio, who possesses unrivaled powers of hoax debunkery.

Case in point: The squirrel is real, but the people are toys - toy soldiers or something.

Grim
03-08-2011, 11:21 PM
I'd say just about everything Defeo said was a bullshit attempt to avoid a guilty verdict and just about everything the Lutz family said was bullshit too. Still, there are some unexplained things, like how none of the Defeo family woke up while he was going around shooting the house up.

Harry Warden
03-08-2011, 11:48 PM
I voted mostly fabricated, but I do believe that paranormal activity does exist. The one thing that always surprised me about how Amityville and the news that it was a hoax was how Ed & Lorraine Warren investigated the house and they truly believed there were spirits in the house. The Warren's were investigating paranormal activity long before any of the ghost hunters of today. Of course, the family that moved into that house has reported nothing out of the ordinary. I think Hollywood always embellishes non-fiction with fictional elements to make things seem scarier. I'm a sucker for this stuff. Even if it was proven untrue, a part of me wants to believe - kinda like Bigfoot!! :lol:

Dobby
03-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Voted Mostly fabricated, but some things could be paranormal. I can't really make heads or tails of any of this. I'm somewhat sure some weird unexplainable shit indeed happened.

Ash28M
03-09-2011, 12:23 AM
Still, there are some unexplained things, like how none of the Defeo family woke up while he was going around shooting the house up.

Although I would love to believe it. I voted bullshit as deep down that's what i'm leaning towards. Saying that, the fact that no one woke up is incredible.

bigwes15
03-09-2011, 01:15 AM
Harry.......BIGFOOT IS REAL!!! (at least I've been fervently hoping so ever since I was a kid!)

KamuiX
03-09-2011, 01:37 AM
Most likely bullshit, but you never know. Part of me wishes it was real, and in my personal life I'd LOVE to see a ghost, so I know there's something to do besides rot once we die. Not holding out much hope though :p

JGrendel
03-09-2011, 01:54 AM
If it were a hoax what exactly did the Lutz family get out of it except for their 15 mins of fame?

Myron Breck
03-09-2011, 02:14 AM
I do believe in ghosts/hauntings are real (according to my Mom, I had experiences when I was a kid--none of which I have ever remembered) but this particular case doesn't seem to hold a lot of water. But, as others have already brought up, there are some parts that make me want to believe some of it was true.

SaxCatz
03-09-2011, 02:17 AM
A steaming crock of shit...
However, that doesn't stop the story from being fascinating and entertaining.

SaxCatz
03-09-2011, 02:20 AM
I do believe in ghosts/hauntings are real (according to my Mom, I had experiences when I was a kid--none of which I have ever remembered) but this particular case doesn't seem to hold a lot of water. But, as others have already brought up, there are some parts that make me want to believe some of it was true.

Well put... Sums it up better than I would've myself.

Harry Warden
03-09-2011, 02:23 AM
Harry.......BIGFOOT IS REAL!!! (at least I've been fervently hoping so ever since I was a kid!)

I KNOW BIGWES - I just don't think anybody else on this board agrees with us!!! I just saw him with Elvis the other day! :D

othervoice1
03-09-2011, 04:26 AM
Darnit - I want to believe it was all true! (makes it scarier that way) <:

CPT HOOK
03-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Here's a snopes.com (http://www.snopes.com/horrors/ghosts/amityville.asp) article on the subject.

According to the article, the entire story was fabricated "over many bottles of wine" in order to get a new trial for "Butch" DeFeo.

Copyboy
03-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Sure it's all bullshit but it's still a great story. There's a really good episode of Hammer House of Horror called The House that Bled to Death which took a pretty obvious jab at the whole Amityville story way back in 1980.

Anthropophagus
03-09-2011, 02:22 PM
I KNOW BIGWES - I just don't think anybody else on this board agrees with us!!! I just saw him with Elvis the other day! :D

Spend quite a bit of time in the Adirondacks where Bigfoot sightings are plentiful, especially on Tongue.Mt near Bolton Landing and also in Whitehall, NY-though I have yet to witness any compelling evidence it's not too hard to believe that something could be living in that dense and remote wilderness.

dickieduvet
03-09-2011, 03:38 PM
I believe James Brolin is indeed possessed.

Katatonia
03-09-2011, 06:39 PM
I believe James Brolin is indeed possessed.

Yeah, he's Streisand's bitch now. :lol:

msw7
03-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Voted for Bullshit. Not to say that someone involved couldn't have been batshit crazy, but I don't believe there was any hint of a supernatural anything.

Belief in the supernatural is like a box of chocolates - people pick and choose until they find something they like. It's a completely subjective process.

Harry Warden
03-10-2011, 02:18 AM
Darnit - I want to believe it was all true! (makes it scarier that way) <:

Me too! I don't give a shit what the current residents say, I wouldn't live in that house if you paid me. :nervous::nervous::nervous:

JGrendel
03-10-2011, 02:28 AM
Me too! I don't give a shit what the current residents say, I wouldn't live in that house if you paid me. :nervous::nervous::nervous:

Yeah I concur, Just looking at the place would give me the creeps.

Katatonia
03-10-2011, 02:36 AM
I'm inclined to believe it was mostly a hoax, but I'd still like to believe it was real. Regardless, it's a great story that's lasted for decades.

I used to go to a doctor about 20 years ago who was friends with some of the people involved. He owned a private island off the east coast. He told me flat out that it was revealed to him to be a hoax.

chancetx
03-10-2011, 09:34 AM
I have no doubt that it's complete bullshit but the original book is a great horror read and the original movie has some great scares. I actually find the backstory surrounding the murders and subsequent haunting hoax as interesting as an actual ghost story. There's a great book which chronicles all the inconsistencies in the various book editions and the movie. The guy who wrote it is a contemporary of the Warrens and believes that ghosts and hauntings are real but that Amityville is complete bullshit.

http://www.amazon.com/Amityville-Horror-Conspiracy-Stephen-Roxanne/dp/0963749803/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1299745533&sr=1-1

But it's fun to consider there might be some truth to it. I'm still a sucker for the Loch Ness monster legends even though all evidence points to hoax.

Chunkblower
03-10-2011, 11:00 AM
I don't believe in the supernatural or an afterlife, but I agree that it's a fun story.

FilmFiend
03-10-2011, 06:56 PM
Sadly the dysfunctional DeFeo family was more interesting than the Lutz crap. They knew they were going to lose that house.

Mok
03-10-2011, 09:09 PM
All true.

John Blythe
03-30-2011, 09:30 AM
My film company is currently working on a new documentary feature "My Amityville Horror" and will tentatively be set for completion this summer! Be on the look out for it! The film will offer a completely different opinion on the case!

Mok
04-08-2011, 06:42 PM
My film company is currently working on a new documentary feature "My Amityville Horror" and will tentatively be set for completion this summer! Be on the look out for it! The film will offer a completely different opinion on the case!

Right on man, keep us in the loop!

DVD-fanatic-9
04-24-2011, 04:25 PM
What exactly were the public supposed to believe again?

I heard the story of the people inspired the movie, but it's not hard to forget all about the alleged events and just watch the freakin' movie(s).

Hatchetwarrior
04-25-2011, 09:26 AM
I live a mere 20 minutes away from the infamous Defeo house and have driven by it at least twice in high school and it's not that eerie of a place. If you want to know what the creepiest house to visit on Long Island is, it's this one:

Massapequa Satan House (http://lioddities.com/OddDwellings/satan.html)

This place is less than 10 minutes away from my house and god damn is it frightening.

Kim Bruun
04-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Of course it was real. However, technological advances meant that they were able to portray the events more accurately in the 2005 remake than in the 1978 original.

Just kidding. It's bull. But I guess the world would be a more magical place if it wasn't. :)