PDA

View Full Version : UGH! Whats with Roger Corman? BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS DVD is terrible!!

ArrowBeach
02-11-2001, 11:54 AM
Man, first ABID, then PIRANHA's transfer, now this? My old Cinemax copy was cleaner, the end credit was much more readable, plus my old LD had less scratches on the print than this so called "remastered" DVD!

Plus did you hear the audio commentaries? Instead of learning about the characters, and I was hoping to hear more about some scenes that was never explained, like when RIchard Thomas and gang unknowngly blew up his captive sister on the bad guys ship, and when he returned to his planet, NO ONE told him what he did, which I was hoping someone would mention, or some creative background on the characters, but instead we hear Gale Ann Hurd talk what seems like every 5 minutes saying basically "oh, this effect didnt work" and on the corman/Sayles track, instead of talking about the film, bulk of the commenmtaries consist of them praising EACH OTHER and pretty much hearing Corman wanting credit for TERMINATOR!!???

This is a very disappoining DVD. Someone should tell Corman to put out better DVD. AT LEAST SAINT JACK's DVD Corman didnt butt in so we heard Bogdonovich say some "interesting" things about Corman.

I remember Joe Dante saying he wished he could have re-mastered PIRANHA DVD, but Roger didn't want to go through the hassle, and I was once told Corman doesnt bother to save the negatives, so that explains why everything looks terrible! :mad:

paul
02-12-2001, 05:08 AM
Hi ArrowBeach if you don't mind me asking I have the Battle Beyond DVD on pre-order, I mean how bad is this transfer. Is it still worth getting, anyone else here with their opinions on this release, thanks in advance.

napalm68
02-12-2001, 06:18 AM
I have New Concordes release of Cronenberg's Rabid, and it is a pretty nice transfer. I just wish they'd release The Brood sometime soon :(

Django
02-12-2001, 07:35 AM
I don't know about Arrow's copy, but mine looks fantastic. Yes, there is some print damage. But it is above and beyond better then any home video copy I've seen 'till now.

And for $13.99 to $19.99, that ain't bad...

ArrowBeach
02-12-2001, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Django:
I don't know about Arrow's copy, but mine looks fantastic. Yes, there is some print damage. But it is above and beyond better then any home video copy I've seen 'till now.

And for $13.99 to $19.99, that ain't bad...

true the price is right, I guess,its just the old, and I mean old HBO copy had NO scratches, and the end credits where "fixed" so I dont know why they just couldnt letterbox the old HBO copy.