PDA

View Full Version : Best Scream Movie

rhett
04-16-2011, 11:18 PM
It's been over a decade since the last SCREAM movie, but yet somehow (okay, because of money) they were able to retain the director, screenwriter and stars of the original movies for the third sequel. Does SCRE4M stack up to the other three? Is the first the best? What's your favorite? We're already got a thread dedicated to SCRE4M, but let's talk about the good and bad of the series and its sequels here.

Copyboy
04-16-2011, 11:45 PM
Had to go with the first. It was probably unfair of me to vote since I haven't seen Scream 4 but I can't imagine that it's going to be any better or have more of an impact than the first. Yeah, Scream doesn't get much love on this board and I'll admit I never even bothered to pick it up as time hasn't really been very kind to it but seeing it for that first time in the theater way back then was unfuckingbelievably amazing! Finally, after 10 years of mostly suck-ass horror movies that didn't know what the fuck they were doing, Craven combined a little bit of There's Nothing Out There with a little bit of Halloween and every movie that copied it and gave the fans something we were desperately jonesing for.

nightmare5fan
04-17-2011, 12:03 AM
Of course Scream 4 'cause it's now in the theaters and I'm old enough to see it as many times I want with my friends or on my own without having to beg my older sister to take me see it, hehe.

maybrick
04-17-2011, 12:28 AM
I think that Scream 4 is every bit as good as the first. The original is a classic no two ways about it. But to me, the new film doesn't need to have the "impact" of the first in order to be as good as or better. "Impact" is just another word for popularity, and most of my favorite things are for whatever reason decidedly UNpopular. If I have to choose, for this poll I have to pick Scream 4 if only for the fact that it doesn't feature Matthew Lillard.

shape22
04-17-2011, 01:03 AM
I've seen the first 3 several times each and I saw Scream 4 today. I think the original is substantially better than any of the sequels. It has the sharpest writing and by far the best cast and characters (excepting Lillard--I hate him too). It also has that intangible quality that suggests loving craftsmanship. Scream was an important comeback project for Craven and the first good chance for most of the actors to establish film careers. That kind of motivation is tough to replicate.

All of the sequels have aspects that reflect obligation more than inspiration (from the diminishing wit of the screenplays to the reliance on higher body counts and more elaborate kills to Neve Campbell's "I'd really rather not be here" performance in Scream 3). That said, I enjoy parts of all of them.

I wasn't a big fan of the original the first time I saw it. But it improved a lot upon repeat viewings. That hasn't been the case for me with any of the sequels.

deepred
04-17-2011, 03:28 AM
For me:

Scream
Scream 3
Scream 2
Scream 4

othervoice1
04-17-2011, 07:57 AM
Well I am going to see Scream 4 next Saturday night- I rewatched 1&2 on blu this week and will watch 3 on blu sometime this coming week as well. So I will hold my vote until I see the new one - but I doubt it will beat the first one. Part 2 was pretty darn good too though.

_pi_
04-17-2011, 10:38 PM
First one takes the cake. I love the 2nd one a lot for nostalgic reasons, but I also think it's a very cleverly written piece. They all are, to some extent.

I used to dislike Scream 3 a lot, but I rewatched it last night for the hell of it, and I think it works amazingly as a comedy. Parker Posey is hilarious in that film. The third act is pretty lame, and it really hurts the film that Neve Campbell would only shoot 20 days (she has so obviously been written out of the film), but Scream 3 has its great moments.

I fucking loved Scream 4.

satans-sadists
04-21-2011, 05:49 AM
How about Scream and Scream Again (1970)?

Copyboy
04-21-2011, 09:46 AM
How about Scream and Scream Again (1970)?

Ha ha! If we're going that route, I'll go with Scream Blacula Scream!

fattyjoe37
04-21-2011, 04:19 PM
The first is by far the best. One of my all time favorites.

othervoice1
04-24-2011, 06:35 AM
Okay saw Scream 4 tonight and enjoyed it- I still think the first one is the best and Scream 4 was about on par with Scream 2- I thought Scream 2 started out better then 4 but 4 had a better ending. In order of how I would rank them right now:

1) Scream
2) Scream 2 (because of my love for SMG and the great opening I give it the slight edge over 4)
3) Scream 4
4) Scream 3

SaxCatz
04-24-2011, 07:34 PM
Not entirely fair as I haven't seen Scream 4 yet...
But last night, I watched the "original trilogy" back to back on Blu-ray ($7.99 each at Costco!!!) and it reminded me of how much I really do like the original Scream.
Scream gets alot of flack from horror fans for the torrent of "new wave" teeny-bopper slashers that followed it. But Scream is not to blame- Craven was making a film that he felt was something refreshing and I highly doubt that he hoped to see it ripped off, copied and desecrated in every way possible after its release- greedy studios and green new "fans" are to be blamed. We can only hope that these new legions of horror "fans" used Scream as their gateway drug into the wider world of horror.
Brad Jones (AKA The Cinema Snob) recently lampooned Scream, citing how, despite its reputation as original and revolutionary, its only claims to fame were having two killers (if this is still a spoiler for you, then maybe you shouldn't be posting here) and braking the cardinal rule- "never reference a better film in your bad movie."
But truth is, Scream is not a bad movie- at all. He is correct that the two killer theme is not "original"- hell, in Bava's semi-classic Bay of Blood (AKA Twitch of the Death Nerve, Carnage, etc), just about EVERYONE was "the killer"- but it was refreshing and unexpected in Scream. As to the breaking of the 4th wall, that too had been done before, but never in so earnest a manner. Scream may just allowed a horror film to take place in a horror-conscious world, but it was not so much tongue-in-cheek this time & seeing how potential-victims react when they are faced with a circumstance NOT entirely foriegn to them put an thoughtful spin on slasher conventions.
Putting my contentions of originality aside, Scream is a really well-crafted slasher film. The characters are likeable and you do care about their well-being- these are not cardboard cut-outs, but fleshed-out, living beings; due in part to the shockingly good calibre of the performances rarely seen in this genre. The murder set-pieces are tense and suspenseful- especially the iconic introduction. The film is generally well-paced, never really slowing too much but not constantly shoveling too much crap into your face to maintain its substance. And most importantly, the film retain an almost Giallo-esque "whodunnit" nature up to the last reel- an aspect missing from WAAAY too many films since the birth of the "supernatural" slasher generation.
You can hate the bile of hapless cash-ins spewed forth after the success of Scream, but don't hate the cleverly crafted original which deserves to be considered a classic.

JGrendel
04-30-2011, 02:32 AM
As much as I hate to say it the first Scream gave the horror genre a big shot in the arm when it needed it the most.