PDA

View Full Version : Halloween 3D Thoughts

rhett
06-20-2011, 07:28 PM
So this long gesticulating HALLOWEEN 3D seems to really be picking up steam now that a release date of Oct. 12, 2012 (10/12/2012) has officially been announced. The writer/director team of MY BLOODY VALENTINE, Todd Farmer and John Lussier are at the helm. What do you think?

JGrendel
06-20-2011, 07:46 PM
I'm trying to be excited for this, I liked the remake of MBV & I'm hoping lightening will strike again on this.

mclay18
06-21-2011, 02:11 AM
I'm ecstatic for this. Naysayers can trash Farmer & Lussier all they want, but they are a breath of fresh air. Lussier's cut his teeth on editing Halloween H20, and both are Carpenter fans. Plus, they've had previous 3D experience and they know how to pace a movie well.

Zombie's defiled the franchise, as far as I'm concerned. I know the Zombie supporters are going to come out of the woodwork and defend his two so-called Halloween films. Aside from him doing his own thing with H2, it was otherwise unwatchable and nihilistic. And the 2007 remake... *shudder*

satans-sadists
06-21-2011, 02:29 AM
How about a 3-D version of Halloween III: Season of the Witch? Seriously though, a new Halloween film without Rob Zombie's involvement has some potential.

Mitbox
06-21-2011, 02:41 AM
"3D may be a gimmick not fit for the franchise" but hey, as long as Zombie is gone, is fine by me.

JGrendel
06-21-2011, 03:19 AM
I think 3-D is overrated

eric_angelus
06-21-2011, 03:39 AM
I voted for the first option because I hate Rob Zombie that much, but I really do wish this could have picked up where virtually any of the other original films had left off.

Katatonia
06-21-2011, 03:53 AM
Definitely "Happy Rob Zombie is not involved"

I'll give the film a chance if he had nothing to do with it. Some of his other movies might be good, but his take on the Halloween franchise was just sad.

othervoice1
06-21-2011, 04:03 AM
Excited, I like the MY BLOODY VALENTINE team

Vance Vandy
06-21-2011, 04:31 AM
This will be horrible just like the MBV remake. Easy choice to skip.

Myron Breck
06-21-2011, 05:20 AM
For the first time in my years on this site, I vote for: "All of the Above."

Workshed
06-21-2011, 05:55 AM
I don't think I made it all the way through the first one. Zombie certainly has a vision, but it's not what I'm into. At this point, they should just do 3D versions of everything and stop announcing them like they are a surprise.

MBV wasn't great, but the 3D was fun.

SaxCatz
06-21-2011, 02:46 PM
"Happy Rob Zombie is not involved."
I'll just refer to my post regarding Zombie's Halloween 2 in the other Halloween 3D thread:
I don't find it so bad really. My biggest problem with it was that they called it "Halloween" and had characters named Laurie, Michael Myers & Dr. Loomis. Had they just called the film "Rob Zombie's Trailer Trash" featuring Twany, Jethro & Dr. LOVE, then I would've been all over it.

MarkWarner
06-22-2011, 09:39 PM
This poll is kind of biased against people who liked Zombie's films, no? Aside from "More of the Zombieverse is a good thing", which is a fairly vague answer.

Anyway, I'd answer "I'm not interested unless Zombie is involved" if it was an option. I've not liked anything that these two have been involved in (except for Halloween: H20, which Lussier only edited).

shape22
06-22-2011, 10:50 PM
On the spectrum of things I love and hate, the original Halloween series and Zombie (himself, his music, and his films) are close to representing the extremes. I'm thrilled he's gone--and encouraged by some carefully worded Lussier comments about moving the series back toward the original films.

Expounded Lussier, “The concept is to complete Rob’s journey and then very quickly take it back to the root of what Carpenter created in 1978 and of how fun it was to see that movie when you were a kid. The thing about Michael in Carpenter’s movie is that he doesn’t make sense, and he is clearly from a family which was perfectly normal, and he is a ‘blank,’ which makes him far scarier. With Zombie’s Halloween, it was, ‘I’m not surprised that guy’s turned out to be a serial killer.’ With Carpenter, it was, ‘How did that guy turn into a serial killer?’ If he did, anyone can, which is really scary.”

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/42752/exclusive-patrick-lussier-and-todd-farmer-talk-halloween-3-hellraiser-and-more

I don't think much of the 3D craze. But I enjoyed what Lussier did with MBV. And I'm giddy at the thought of him burying the angry, grunting professional wrestler who used to be a chubby, animal-abusing momma's boy Myers. The Shape is pure evil--not a standard giant-sized serial killer with a generic, cliched, and ultimately pointless backstory.

The fact that the Zombie films are awful on their own terms is bad enough. But his involvement at such a critical juncture for the franchise also deprived us of a potentially thoughtful re-imagining of the original film. I really lament that lost opportunity.

Lussier gets why Myers was a special character in the first place. I wish the Akkad's had tapped him for the reboot. But better late than never.

bigdaddyhorse
06-22-2011, 11:23 PM
Could do without the 3D part of it, but I like everything else I'm reading from the new team. MBV was a blast so I'm sure they'll have some cool 3D gags at least, and not a retro-fitted piece of dark shit to sell more expensive tickets to like many other "3D" films these days.

I'm in.

rxfiend
06-22-2011, 11:33 PM
I hope they just make this movie it's own and not connected to anything previously. Just sorta do what Toho did with the Godzilla series in the last decade.

Chunkblower
06-23-2011, 12:40 AM
Really looking forward to this. Farmer & Lussier and share a lot of the same sensibilities as Zombie, yet are able to add a wink to let you know it's in fun. They seem like an ideal middle ground between the original films and Zombie's vision.

Drive Angry earned them the benefit of the doubt from me.

maybrick
06-23-2011, 01:23 AM
I voted for the first option because I hate Rob Zombie that much, but I really do wish this could have picked up where virtually any of the other original films had left off.

My sentiments exactly.