PDA

View Full Version : Big Screen Hammer

Paff
01-04-2002, 05:17 PM
There was a great little article in yesterday's local paper, the San Diego Union Tribune

Seems some old millionaire film lover recently died, and his widow discovered a whole bunch of cans of film. Instead of selling them, she donated them to the local photographic museum, and they'll be showing them over the next few months.

Most of these movies are Westerns and romance movies from the 1940s. But on Feb 26, they'll be showing this newly discovered print of HORROR OF DRACULA!

Not sure if it's 16mm or 35mm, or uncut, or what kind of shape it's in, but I'll be seeing classic Hammer on the big screen, what's better than that?

carl.kolchak
01-04-2002, 06:49 PM
Definitely give us the scoop after you check it out ! :cool:

Paff
02-27-2002, 04:32 PM
Well, I got to see Horror of Dracula last night. Absolutely gorgeous little theater in the middle of the museum, I will be returning there often.

Anyway, it was a 16mm Fuji (not Technicolor) print, but the quality was still amazing. I mean, it wasn't so good you could strike a DVD master from it, but for a 40+ year-old print, the colors were surprisingly rich and not washed-out at all.

The curator introduced the movie, and got a few boos when he confessed that he really didn't like Hammer films. But he also announced that in their next series of films, they'll be showing some Joe Dante movies, and Joe himself will be appearing! Time to get my Howling LD signed...

Scorpio
03-01-2002, 03:14 AM
A few years ago, I got to see Horror of Dracula at the Chicago Film Festival. The cool thing about it was that Christopher Lee was there and spoke before the film started. :)

mac-hammer-fan
03-09-2002, 08:03 AM
It's about time that Warner releases this classic, and uncut! They say they are in early stages, I guess we'll have to wait another two years...
:mad:

Rollocop
03-11-2002, 07:59 PM
Last time I saw HOD in the cinema was at the Barbican retrospective in London a few years ago. I think I remember seeing Christopher Lee, Dave Prowse, Madelaine Smith, Michael Ripper and quite a few others including directors and camera crew. Im sure there were about 20 or so Hammer actors and crew. Unfortunately all the Hammer people were in a courtesy suite upstairs until just before the doors opened and then were ushered through the lobby (to an amazed and surprised crowd) and straight into the cinema. Christopher Lee introduced the movie and gave a moving tribute to Peter Cushing. It really was a great night, I only wish Id had the nerve to approach them for a few autographs.