PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Number 2

rhett
10-13-2011, 03:54 AM
A lot of people would argue that every horror sequel is a big number 2, but as Chunkblower has shown in his latest reviews of Hellraiser II and Poltergeist II, there are a lot of great horror sequels out there. From the list, which one do you think is the best follow up?

dickieduvet
10-13-2011, 04:13 AM
The Devil's Rejects, Friday 13th Part 2, Maniac Cop 2.

SaxCatz
10-13-2011, 04:15 AM
Evil Dead II followed closely by Friday the 13th Part II.
Honorable mentions would be Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 and Psycho II.

Mutilated Prey
10-13-2011, 04:18 AM
Friday the 13th Part 2 easily. Quite possibly my favorite horror movie of all time and the best of the series!

othervoice1
10-13-2011, 04:39 AM
Off the list for me its kind tight between Halloween 2 , Friday the 13th 2 and Evil Dead 2. Heck Troll 2 I love as well. I will give my vote to Friday the 13th Part 2 by a hair.

dave13
10-13-2011, 04:59 AM
Evil Dead II, absolutely. Although there are a lot of good films up there. Hatchet II should be up there. for my money it's a better film than the first.

Severn
10-13-2011, 05:39 AM
Halloween 2 flaws and controversy not withstanding for me is how I like my horror sequels done. Good to see others take the same approach like REC 2 (and to a lesser quality extent like Hatchet 2).

X-human
10-13-2011, 05:46 AM
No question in my mind, Evil Dead II.

msw7
10-13-2011, 07:08 AM
Evil Dead II - no question or hesitation.

Marshall Crist
10-13-2011, 07:13 AM
EVIL DEAD II, but I find most of these dire.

Cooperkill
10-13-2011, 07:13 AM
Dawn of the Dead

Of the choices, probably because they have a number, I'll go with Phantasm II by a slim margin over Evil Dead II.

rhett
10-13-2011, 07:19 AM
Movies like Dawn of the Dead and The Devil's Rejects I don't really consider sequels. They're like Kevin Smith's View Askew movies - similar locations, themes and even characters, but they're their own movies. When he did do a true sequel, Clerks 2, he called it that, but otherwise Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back is not a sequel to Mallrats or Dogma despite obvious continuities.

Erick H.
10-13-2011, 09:06 AM
I went with PSYCHO 2,it's way better than it should be considering it's a sequel to a classic.

Cooperkill
10-13-2011, 09:21 AM
Movies like Dawn of the Dead and The Devil's Rejects I don't really consider sequels. They're like Kevin Smith's View Askew movies - similar locations, themes and even characters, but they're their own movies. When he did do a true sequel, Clerks 2, he called it that, but otherwise Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back is not a sequel to Mallrats or Dogma despite obvious continuities.

I get what you're saying, but a lot of the other movies chosen seem to fall in line with what you consider a non-sequel. House II has a new location and a new set of characters and feels like its own movie, Amityville II has the same location but new characters and has a different plot line than the original, Troll II has nothing to do with the original and is thus its own movie, and Hostel II is essentially a remake of the original with a female cast.

I don't mean to suck the fun out of a poll, but I guess what one considers a sequel varies from person to person.

Copyboy
10-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Friday the 13th Part 2 for me. Backwoods baghead Jason is still the scariest.

rhett
10-13-2011, 10:26 AM
I get what you're saying, but a lot of the other movies chosen seem to fall in line with what you consider a non-sequel. House II has a new location and a new set of characters and feels like its own movie, Amityville II has the same location but new characters and has a different plot line than the original, Troll II has nothing to do with the original and is thus its own movie, and Hostel II is essentially a remake of the original with a female cast.

I don't mean to suck the fun out of a poll, but I guess what one considers a sequel varies from person to person.

The difference between the ones you've mentioned and films like Dawn of the Dead or The Devil's Rejects is that the mentioned movies are deliberately trying to cash in on the success of the previous picture, and while their plots may not all continue on the story of the first film, they try and dupe the formula and take pleasure in trappings of the original film. Dawn and Rejects both seem to grow away from their predecessors. Different scope, different tone, different style. It's kind of like how Army of Darkness was not called Evil Dead 3 - it is even a direct continuation, but it's a different kind of movie altogether, and Raimi treats it that way. I just think there is a noticeable difference between a numbered sequel and one that's considered so in spirit.

Stige
10-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Halloween 2 1981, but Friday the 13th 2 and TCM 2 are really close

Gore Lunatic
10-13-2011, 12:33 PM
Amityville II: The Possession is my favorite on that list followed very closely by Hellraiser II

Conal Cochran
10-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Fright Night 2

DVD-fanatic-9
10-13-2011, 02:10 PM
The Good (or at least Fun):
A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge
Poltergeist II: The Other Side
Psycho II
Troll 2
Leprechaun 2

The Okay:
Critters 2
Scream 2
Evil Dead II
The Exorcist II: The Heretic (yeah, I said it)

The Almost-Okay:
Halloween II
An American Werewolf in Paris

The Bad (yet still entertaining):
Friday the 13th Part II
Children of the Corn II: The Final Sacrifice
I Still Know What You Did Last Summer
Hannibal
Tremors 2: Aftershocks

The Bad (yet not so entertaining):
Ghoulies II
The Devil's Rejects

The So-Bad-It-HURTS:
Hellbound: Hellraiser II
Phantasm II
Child's Play 2
The Rage: Carrie II
Blair Witch 2: Book of Shadows
Class of Nuke 'Em High 2: Subhumanoid Meltdown

The Total Shit:
Hostel Part II
Saw II
Pet Sematary Two

Best sequel on the list? Psycho II
Personal favorite? Either Friday the 13th Part II or Troll 2

And then, of course, there's Romero's Dawn of the Dead (in a class all its' own).

The "I haven't seen" or "it's all a blur now":
House II: The Second Story
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Creepshow 2
Amityville II: The Possession
[REC 2]
The Howling II
Damien: Omen II
Puppet Master 2
The Birds II: Lands End
Final Destination II
Fright Night Part 2
Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2
28 Weeks Later
Ginger Snaps II: Unleashed
The Fly II
The Grudge 2
Urban Legends
The Hills Have Eyes II (both versions)
Rob Zombie's Halloween 2
Predator 2
American Psycho 2
Tombs of the Blind Dead 2 (forgot the proper title)
Return of Swamp Thing
The Toxic Avenger Part II
From Dusk Till Dawn 2: Texas Blood Money
Lake Placid 2
Day of the Dead 2
Mirrors 2
Mimic 2
The Dentist 2
Hatchet 2
Pulse 2
Feast 2: Sloppy Seconds
Wrong Turn 2: Dead End
Boogeyman 2 (both versions)
The Lost Boys 2
Bloodstone: Subspecies II
Cabin Fever 2: Spring Fever
Lawnmower Man 2
The Mangler 2
Wishmaster 2
Crocodile 2
Carnosaur 2
Sometimes They Come Back... Again
30 Days of Night 2: Dark Days
Mommy 2: Mommy's Day
Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer 2: Mask of Sanity
Class of 1999 II: The Substitute
The Hitcher II: I've Been Waiting
The Fear: Resurrection
Titanic 2
The Princess Diaries 2
Left Behind II

If I forgot another 40 dozen sequels, I'm sorry- I have to stop now. I'm getting dizzy.

Mok
10-13-2011, 03:53 PM
Wow DVDfan, I disagree with quite a bit of that.

I went L'hallowe'en Deux.
Watched it just recently and actually had a nightmare about Michael Myers. So I'd say that qualifies it.

Anthropophagus
10-13-2011, 04:02 PM
You're killing me with this poll, I could hardly choose between these three...
Friday The 13th Part II-Along with The Final Chapter, one of the best entries in the series and a really great horror film. The burlap sack on the head of Jason was so much scarier than the hockey mask and Amy Steele is one of my top 'final girls'. Loved her in April Fool's Day too, even though the film kinda sucked.
Amityville II:The Possession-I love haunted house films and this has got to be one of the sleaziest and most uncomfortable. It genuinely creeped me out when I first saw it on cable as a young teen. The climax is too derivative of The Exorcist and kills it a little for me, but the first half has a great sense of impending doom and dread. I was a big fan of Diane Franklin too. The only drawback, it's loosely based on the actual Defeo murders so it's exploitative and I always feel a little guilty watching.
Psycho II-In the end I went with this. Great performances by Tilly and Perkins, very professional and classy looking film with a good pace. Who would have guessed they could make a sequel to a classic like Psycho and have it not suck.

bigdaddyhorse
10-13-2011, 04:47 PM
No Pet Sematary 2? For shame, it's a comedy classic (anyone who hated it should watch again as a comedy and enjoy)!

Friday the 13th 2 had the biggest impact on me. First slasher film I saw, first one I saw uncut, and I still love it from the baghead Jason to Terri's retardedly sweet ass. Love it even more on Blu-ray now, as that ass is much clearer.:D

allmessedup
10-13-2011, 05:08 PM
What, no ZOMBI 2? :)

I like TCM 2 the best--I like some of the others, but a lot of them just seemed
too derivative of the first films in their respective series. TCM 2 just seemed to go off in its own direction a little more.

I'm another one who is a fan of the Part 2 Jason, and that would probably be my second pick---in a way it is like a first film since it's the first one with Jason committing acts of mayhem. Respect the sack!

evildeadfan123
10-13-2011, 05:40 PM
I love Halloween 2, but I voted for, by a land slide, Evil Dead 2. Just love the entire Evil Dead Trilogy, and the 2nd one was excellent.

satans-sadists
10-13-2011, 06:21 PM
Psycho II is my favorite. This would be followed by Texas Chainsaw Massacre II, Halloween II, and Amityville II.

Demoni
10-13-2011, 07:29 PM
WTF... Where´s ALIENS???

indrid13
10-13-2011, 07:43 PM
As much as I love Evil Dead 2 or Friday the 13th part 2, I had to go with Halloween II. It was the first of the Halloween series growing up and as a little kid it was quite scary. It's a film I love going back to every October.

MorallySound
10-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Rhett, where the fuck is the option for Gremlins 2: The New Batch!?

fattyjoe37
10-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Rhett, where the fuck is the option for Gremlins 2: The New Batch!?

THIS!

If it was on the poll it would've won by a landslide. As it stands now I voted for Evil Dead II.

j tea
10-13-2011, 09:42 PM
that is tough!!! f13 2 is definitely the best of the series, and as much as i love evil dead 2 it is just kind of silly, i always think of it more as a horror comedy, and it really isnt a sequel in my mind.

my money is on hellbound as the best continuation of a story and as a stand alone movie as well. it is just as complicated and original as the first without rehashing it.

Kim Bruun
10-13-2011, 09:43 PM
Easily Halloween II. As a matter of fact, it's probably my favourite horror movie. I quite enjoy Friday the 13th Part 2 and Poltergeist II as well. And it's always bugged me that I never quite hit it off with Texas Chainsaw 2.

j tea
10-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Respect the sack!

:lol::lol::lol:

rhett
10-14-2011, 12:37 AM
Respect the sack!

:lol: This definitely needs to be someone's signature.

Sorry, my friends, on the lack of inclusion of Gremlins 2. There are only 20 spots, and there is no way I can't skip over a Ghoulies movie. But my not including it was kind of because it isn't purely horror, even in the sense that Critters 2 or Ghoulies 2 are. It's a big Hollywood movie, and Joe Dante went even further with the satire to the point where even as a kid I did not find anything in that movie remotely scary. Well, other than the fact that a female Gremlin tries to rape a guy. It does own, though, so it should be on the list. If I do swap out a movie, I'll put your two votes for it.

Zombi 2 isn't even in the same ballpark as Zombi, it's not the kind of movie that all the other Part 2's on this list encapsulate. Although Alien is definitely heavy sci-fi, I'd still call it horror because of its adherence to the slasher template from Halloween. Aliens, though, is an action movie. Game over, man!!!

russweiss
10-14-2011, 12:41 AM
Evil Dead 2 for me but I love the entire series.

grodd
10-14-2011, 05:51 PM
Good poll. Tough choices. I'd go with F13 part 2.
A list something like this
1. F13 part 2
2. Halloween 2
3. Evil Dead 2
4, Phantasm 2
5. Psycho 2
6. Hostel 2
7. Hellrasier 2
8. Creepshow 2
9. Scream 2

jcannon
10-14-2011, 07:28 PM
Evil Dead II

MorallySound
10-15-2011, 12:18 AM
:lol: This definitely needs to be someone's signature.

Sorry, my friends, on the lack of inclusion of Gremlins 2. There are only 20 spots, and there is no way I can't skip over a Ghoulies movie. But my not including it was kind of because it isn't purely horror, even in the sense that Critters 2 or Ghoulies 2 are. It's a big Hollywood movie, and Joe Dante went even further with the satire to the point where even as a kid I did not find anything in that movie remotely scary. Well, other than the fact that a female Gremlin tries to rape a guy. It does own, though, so it should be on the list. If I do swap out a movie, I'll put your two votes for it.

Zombi 2 isn't even in the same ballpark as Zombi, it's not the kind of movie that all the other Part 2's on this list encapsulate. Although Alien is definitely heavy sci-fi, I'd still call it horror because of its adherence to the slasher template from Halloween. Aliens, though, is an action movie. Game over, man!!!

Fair enough response and reasoning. Therefore of the choices, my vote goes to Amittyville II: The Possession which, in my opinion, is far superior to the first film.

Myron Breck
10-15-2011, 04:18 AM
Damn, this sure is a tough call. I love FRIDAY THE 13TH 2, PSYCHO II, EVIL DEAD 2, and TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE 2 deeply, but I went with PSYCHO II since it had the most to lose by even existing (plus, I just watched it a couple nights ago and was reminded of how good it really is).

Anthropophagus
10-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Don't know if it's been mentioned, don't have time to view the entire thread now, but Cold Prey II was one Hell of a sequel. Much better than anticipated.

Hatchetwarrior
10-16-2011, 04:49 AM
F13 Part 2

othervoice1
10-16-2011, 06:40 AM
Don't know if it's been mentioned, don't have time to view the entire thread now, but Cold Prey II was one Hell of a sequel. Much better than anticipated.

Absolutely agree - the first and the sequal were great. Just wish I could get a region free or R1 dvd of the third one I havent seen.

hatfull
10-16-2011, 09:17 PM
I went for Evil dead 2...a truely great film. I have to confess, I've not seen a lot of the others: sequels arn't normally my bag. But maybe I'm being a bit narrow minded, so I'll try to give some of them a watch at some point!

Salon Girl
10-18-2011, 07:17 PM
I Love Ghoulies 2

shape22
10-18-2011, 08:29 PM
I'm going with Evil Dead II. As much as it's been imitated it's never really been duplicated. I've never seen another movie that can match its manic energy. Dead Alive comes close for a while. But I think it runs out of steam well before it ends. Evil Dead II never lets up and never goes too far over-the-top.

Halloween II is a movie I love to watch. But I can't help but regard it as a missed opportunity. Jamie Lee's involvement amounts to little more than a cameo until the climax. And instead of focusing on a small group of well drawn and sympathetic characters it spends a lot of time documenting the elaborate deaths of a bunch of cardboard cut-outs.

I can live with all that. I think it's counter-balanced by Pleasence's increasingly unhinged characterization of Dr. Loomis, Alan Howarth's awesome electronic interpretations of Carpenter's themes, Dick Warlock's mean Shape, and the return of Dean Cundey.

But I can't forgive H2 for introducing the uninspired, short-sighted, and downright stupid idea that Laurie is Michael's sister. Not only did that destroy one of the main ideas of the original film--it also hamstrung every future installment in the series to some degree. The ending montage of Halloween was meant to suggest that evil was still on the prowl--and it could be anywhere. The idea that Michael is just trying to polish off family members is nowhere near as scary or sustainable.

Carpenter himself has admitted many times that he had no interest in continuing this story--and that he went with the sister device because he couldn't come up with anything better. I think his lack of genuine inspiration is clearly visible in the finished script. His heart wasn't in H2. He was working as a mercenary. The derivative script and the Carpenter-ordered, gore-centric re-shoots were admittedly designed with the box office in mind.

H2 is still a lot of fun. But I'll always believe that Halloween deserved a better sequel.

nightmare5fan
10-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Psycho 2!!! Both Evil Dead II and TCM 2 are insanely funny follow ups, Hellbound has all those gere effects and inner hell themes, and I remember loving Child's Play 2 and Scream 2 in my younger years, but Psycho 2 is the only sequel that manages to be genuinely suspenseful.

evildeadfan123
10-18-2011, 09:20 PM
Evil Dead 2 for me but I love the entire series.

Great to know that someone else loves Evil Dead Trilogy:banana:

dave13
10-19-2011, 03:17 AM
Great to know that someone else loves Evil Dead Trilogy:banana:

:lol: doesn't everybody? maybe to different degrees, but come on...it's the evil dead!

Anubis
10-19-2011, 04:28 AM
Friday the 13th Part 2 gets my vote because it's first one with Jason. Also like Halloween II as a close second!

spawningblue
10-25-2011, 04:00 AM
This was tough but after some careful consideration i went with Evil Dead 2! Friday the 13th 2, Halloween 2, Phantasm 2, Hellraiser 2, Amityville 2, Critters 2, Child's Play 2, Psycho 2 and Ghoulies 2 are all great sequels as well though. Also got to give props to Troll 2 for its inane crappiness.

Workshed
10-25-2011, 04:53 AM

Agreed, not to mention that it, along with "Aliens," does not have "II" in the title, while all of the other films on this list do.

I went with Ghoulies II, because it improves over the original and vastly. EDII, Halloween II, and Troll 2 are all favorites of mine, but I'm not sure if I'd agree that they improve upon the original. Except for Troll 2, but it's in a class all its own. :joshua: