PDA

View Full Version : CONTEST #3: SCREAMing Soundtracks

rhett
10-17-2011, 11:23 PM
We always talk about the violence, but what would a horror movie be without music? Imagine THE EXORCIST without "Tubular Bells" or HALLOWEEN without that piano or SUSPIRIA without Goblin? Tell us your favorite horror film soundtrack and you could win a copy of the SCRE4M soundtrack![/b]
http://www.horrordigital.com/reviews/pictures/b_cd.jpg

Our horror talk usually gets relegated to the deaths, gores, nudity and directors behind our favorite movies, but the music certainly goes a long way to defining the movies we love. What would THE EXORCIST be without "Tubular Bells" or HALLOWEEN without that piano or SUSPIRIA without Goblin? The SCREAM films have always had defining soundtracks themselves, a mix between brooding orchestral flourishes and pop music.

SCREAM 4 is no exception, and with the film now out on Blu-ray and DVD we've got 3 soundtracks to giveaway. All you've got to do is tell us, what's your favorite horror film soundtrack and why?

http://horrordigital.com/vb3forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5918&stc=1&d=1318886534

The contest runs for one week, from today until Monday, October 24th, at which point a new contest will commence as part of our October Madness extravaganza.

Winners will be randomly selected based upon all the posts in this thread.

Make a post to secure a sound investment...tell us your favorite horror movie soundtrack and why!

NMA
10-17-2011, 11:50 PM
Resident Evil

"The Resident Evil Main Theme" is absolutely one of the best crafted, additive piece of industrial chant that gives me the chills each time I listen to it. Besides it is composed and produced by Marilyn Manson and Tim Skold.

streetlight
10-18-2011, 12:45 AM
the 1986 film Killer Workout, the keyboards and melodies put me in a good mood

bigdaddyhorse
10-18-2011, 01:03 AM
Probably Fight Club, although I liked the clips of tunes in the film better than the full tracks in most cases.

dave13
10-18-2011, 01:21 AM
i could say something like the exorcist, for tubular bells, or the fucked up arrangements of classical music in the shining, or the beautifully moody score to herzog's nosferatu remake, or john carpenter's iconic halloween theme. All of those are great scores. But the first thing that came to my mind was how impressed i was by the score to Mark of the Devil. The violin (i think its violin - im not a musical person) that's used in the main theme, and that plays over the menu screen for the dvd, is so effective it makes my hair stand on end...in a good way.

indiephantom
10-18-2011, 01:40 AM
So many great ones from those Italian films. I'm going to have to go with Tenebre as being a favorite. It just struck me so profoundly the first time I heard it.

MorallySound
10-18-2011, 01:50 AM
As much as I love Goblin and a lot of Italian film scores for that matter, the soundtrack I have to go with is the Martin score by Donald Rubinstein. That haunting blend of unique smokey jazz, horror atmosphere, and the vocal "Calling" are truly unduplicated and unheard of outside that film. It's such a unique score, so individual to the film and beautiful, haunting, and quirky all at the same time. It's also the first film soundtrack I bought that started my collecting of film scores and soundtracks. So Donald Rubinstein's Martin is my pick.

fattyjoe37
10-18-2011, 01:55 AM
I'm a soundtrack guy moreso than a film score guy. So my favorite would have to be the awesome collection of songs found on the Death Proof soundtrack.

Conal Cochran
10-18-2011, 02:13 AM
Creepshow, this one is simply gorgeous and the piano is superb. Halloween III is also a big favorite.

Katatonia
10-18-2011, 02:20 AM
Hellraiser by Christopher Young would easily be my favorite soundtrack. The atmosphere of the entire score is simply beautiful and haunting at the same time. There's rarely a week that goes by where I don't listen to it (and also Hellbound) at least once.

Anaestheus
10-18-2011, 02:20 AM
If I could just pick a single song, it'd be "Calqhoun's Story" from Ravenous. They way the song slowly shifts into something so overwhelming with dread is astounding. I'd say the same for "The Stendahl Syndrome Theme" by Morricone.

But, for overall use of music in a film, it's easily Kubrick's Shining. The Berlioz over the mountain shots, the Ligeti during the breakdown, the soundscapes of W____ Carlos even the jazz in the lounge; such a wide range of sonic styles converging into one hell of a powerful soundtrack.

rxfiend
10-18-2011, 02:32 AM
I love horror soundtracks. My favorite is Halloween 3 by John Carpenter and Alan Howarth. I love electronic music, especially the early 80s sound and this fits the bill perfectly. The music works very well with the film and without it, the film would suffer dearly. Next fav would be Goblin's Suspiria soundtrack.

Myron Breck
10-18-2011, 02:46 AM
I'd have to go with THE THING (1981). Carpenter almost always manages to produce a haunting score but, with the help of Morricone, this one gets right under my skin and expresses such a sense of loneliness...it really stays with me.

Caspar2112
10-18-2011, 02:50 AM
The soundtrack to Balaban's movie Parents is awesome. Suspiria and Phenomena is also a must have.

Cooperkill
10-18-2011, 03:13 AM
Poltergeist. Whenever I watch it I have "La la la, la la la, la la laaaa laaaa la," stuck in my head for weeks.

Ninjalo
10-18-2011, 04:13 AM
Return of the Living Dead, great punk music, added to the wildness and fun of that movie!

msw7
10-18-2011, 04:27 AM
If I have to pick just one, it would be Susperia - Goblin just nailed it perfectly for mood and atmosphere.

But I also love the soundtracks to Kill Bill volume 1, The River's Edge, and Death Proof. And Conan the Barbarian (not horror, but it's my favorite soundtrack ever)

othervoice1
10-18-2011, 04:29 AM
Suspiria - Goblin puts together both a unique and chilling soundtrack that works great with this artistic horror film. Long after watching this movie for the first time the soundtrack just would not get out of my head.

Mutilated Prey
10-18-2011, 04:36 AM
Oh cmon, isn't it obvious?

When the leaves of summer turn to red and gold and the football games bring a hint of the cold it's time to get away.

We'll pack the car with escape in mind. Forget about class and leave the books behind and disappear....

We're going on a....

FALL BREAK!!!!!

CrazyFatEthel
10-18-2011, 05:20 AM
Last House On The Left!!! Best ever!!!

Ptflea2
10-18-2011, 05:45 AM
Always loved the Omen.

SaxCatz
10-18-2011, 06:25 AM
Deep Red...
Goblin had alreday hit their stride prior to Suspiria. Prog rock at its finest with that wicked gothic twist that only Goblin could muster. Profondo Rosso is an absolutely wicked theme and will be stuck in your head for hours... or days.

MarkWarner
10-18-2011, 06:56 AM
In terms of horror: 28 Days Later, A Nightmare On Elm Street, Book Of Shadows: Blair Witch 2, Creepshow, Dawn Of The Dead '78, Gojira, Grindhouse, Halloween (original), Halloween III, Halloween 4, Halloween II (2009), High Tension, Saw, Session 9, Se7en, Suspiria, The Descent, The Devil's Rejects, The Evil Dead, The Last House On The Left (remake), The Mist, The Shining, The Thing, and Trick 'r Treat.

ZoSo
10-18-2011, 06:59 AM
I love Goblin, and the Deep Red soundtrack.

Erick H.
10-18-2011, 07:56 AM
Tough call,I'm a huge fan of so many composers who have contributed so much wonderful work.In a pinch I'll go with my favorite composer,the late,great,Bernard Herrmann.Of his work one of his less well known scores has always stuck with me,his jangling,unnerving score to Brian DePalma's first all out shocker,SISTERS.It's a terrific score that builds on all of the composer's great work for Hitchcock and then pushes it further into the realms of nightmare and dementia.We lost a master when Herrmann passed.

bloodthrill
10-18-2011, 08:07 AM
So many great horror themes that establish certain moods,but I'd definitely say I have too many tracks from different scores to have a precise favorite. The suspense music seems to be what I enjoy,for example,the synth chase through the cemetery of Maniac. Simple,driving beat,firmly rooted in the early 1980s. Claudio Simonetti's throwback stuff from Pucci's awesome Frat House Massacre is a current fave,(great creepy buildup to the action)along with Mark Isham's original Hitcher score,and Maurice Jarre's hyper-synth and super-experimental Dreamscape. Creepy music to feature a seriously eerie film.

Its fun to drive to this stuff late at nite.:cool:

Mortis
10-18-2011, 08:40 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/515WQVZTR9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

startide
10-18-2011, 11:51 AM
Colin Towns' synth masterpiece for The Haunting of Julia (AKA Full Circle, I saw it on TV as Julia, so I stick with that title). It's lush, it's spooky, it elevates the film to a magnificence it doesn't really deserve, it's Haunting, as the films title suggests, and has been in my head ever since I saw the film on TV on a Friday night some time in the mid to late 80s. Barring the disco Prom Night soundtrack, it is my favourite soundtrack ever, and unquestionably my favourite score. To top it all off the soundtrack works as a whole all by itself, which is very rare in the soundtrack world, at least for me.

bwana the clown
10-18-2011, 01:04 PM
The Burning soundtrack by Rick Wakeman.

From one of my absolute favourite slashers and every bit as good as Wakeman's other work, I still listen to this regularly (and even have an autographed vinyl copy :D )

Zillamon51
10-18-2011, 02:57 PM
The original Halloween. That music is stuck in my brain, not for a day or two after watching the movie, but for life. Anytime I'm walking around outside at night, at any time of the year, the music I whistle is one of the slow creepy pieces from Halloween.

I also love a good song- (not score-) based soundtrack album. My horror picks there would be The Return of the Living Dead, Wes Craven's Shocker, and the Rob Zombie quartet of House of 1,000 Corpses, The Devil's Rejects, and Halloween 1 & 2.

evildeadfan123
10-18-2011, 04:23 PM
Fright Night. I love it, because of the instrumental portions in the movie, and also Ian Hunter's and Evelyn Champagne King's songs during the seduction scene with Jerry Dandridge and Amy.

HellRazor
10-18-2011, 06:35 PM
The great TRICK OR TREAT soundtrack by Fastway because it ROCKS! Some of the best work they have done IMHO and far better than the movie itself (even if I have a soft spot for it!)

JGrendel
10-18-2011, 09:20 PM
Candyman: Especially the main theme cause it's very haunting & is very gothic which are characteristics that I really like in a film score that & it really suits the movie & the character of Candyman.

Shannafey
10-19-2011, 12:51 AM
I really like the Day of the Dead soundtrack. I have a copy of the whole thing and it is pretty damn cool! As far as an individual track, you can't really beat Halloween though!

soxfan666
10-19-2011, 01:19 AM
Bram Stokers Dracula. I love the deep sound of the strings.

nightmare5fan
10-19-2011, 04:29 AM
Right now I'm listening to Halloween II's soundtrack a lot. Alan Howarth's main theme sounds a lot more menacing with the added synthethizers, and it's always a blast to listen to Laurie's Theme while walking through the university campus' open fields at sunset. It's like alll the tracks have and added punch, and some of the themes are downright trippy. Also love Marco Beltrami's Scream 4 score and Jay Ferguson's work for Nightmare 5, one of my all time favorite movies.

moogong
10-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Fright Night easily. Armies of the Night and Good Man In A Bad Time are always playing on my Ipod.

Gore Lunatic
10-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Candyman. Philip Glass did a great job on this film and it's sequel.

marcx
10-19-2011, 01:28 PM
Goldsmith's score for the Omen is amazing.

Ash28M
10-19-2011, 01:45 PM
I guess it would have to be Suspiria for me. You could just let that play on a loop for Halloween and it would work perfectly.

walkingdude
10-19-2011, 04:18 PM
Return of the Living Dead.Followed close by Shocker and Trick or Treat.

scaryguy88
10-19-2011, 07:03 PM
Halloween, do I need a reason? Simple and right to the point

hellraiser40
10-21-2011, 01:27 AM
hmm, this is a hard one, but i'll probably go for the one for Videodrome, i really cannot imagine that movie with any other kind of soundtrack

Spacetraveler
10-21-2011, 04:12 AM
Psycho II. The score is beautiful and brilliant.

Stige
10-21-2011, 10:06 AM
still want a REAL release of the Prom Night soundtrack

and Inferno if it is only instrumental we are talking about

prez387w
10-23-2011, 02:49 PM
Nothing comes close to the original HALLOWEEN soundtrack! CARPENTER is a master!

rhett
10-25-2011, 12:46 AM
Thanks everyone for your submissions, it was interesting to see some less than conventional picks and to see how certain scores connected with people. I think sometimes it is less to do with the actual soundtrack itself and more how it works into the film to create something memorable. Prom Night not included, that is a non stop enclave of disco delight. EVERYTHING IS ALLRGHT!

And now for the winners of the SCRE4M soundtracks:

msw7
JGrendel
marcx

Congrats, send me a PM with your name and address and some cool YouTube link just for shits and I'll get these out to you shortly.

Next contest coming up in minutes!

Workshed
10-25-2011, 02:33 AM
Nice! Good to see some regulars make the cut.

msw7
10-25-2011, 04:38 AM
Holy crap, I won something! I did not see that coming.

Thanks for the contest Rhett, and congrats to the other winners!

Erick H.
10-25-2011, 07:50 AM
Enjoy the soundtrack !

marcx
10-25-2011, 03:13 PM
Ooo--I won! Thanks!!!!

MorallySound
10-25-2011, 06:00 PM
Congrats to the winners!

JGrendel
11-04-2011, 10:03 AM
I'm not one for speeches so I'll just say thanks.... lol