PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Threequel

rhett
10-19-2011, 09:50 PM
The turnout for the sequel poll was impressive, so let's keep it going here for third films. The big dogs all turned out pretty good entries for their third films, but there should be some other little surprises too. Who knows, maybe even this year's PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 3 will one day prove worthy of the company of ARMY OF DARKNESS, DREAM WARRIORS and, um, GHOULIES GO TO COLLEGE.

MorallySound
10-19-2011, 10:03 PM
There are actually quite a few great Threequels such as Halloween III, Poltergeist III, Return of the Living Dead 3, Army of Darkness, but my vote goes to:

Exorcist III.

Chunkblower
10-19-2011, 10:04 PM
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3, no contest.

Not just my favourite threequel, but one of my favourite films of all time.

fattyjoe37
10-19-2011, 10:04 PM
We're the Dream Warriors! Don't wanna dream no more!

rhett
10-19-2011, 10:15 PM
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3, no contest.

Not just my favourite threequel, but one of my favourite films of all time.

Tom Atkins is fucking PISSED at you right now.

Workshed
10-19-2011, 10:17 PM
It is a national travesty that I have yet to watch Ghoulies Go to College . Where is this DVD?! :fuck::fuck::fuck:

Demoni
10-20-2011, 12:19 AM
The third X-Files episode of season 1... Squeeze

russweiss
10-20-2011, 12:39 AM
Had to go with Army of Darkness. I saw that film in the theater more times than any other film.

Gore Lunatic
10-20-2011, 12:46 AM
A lot of good ones on that list but I went with Exorcist III. An excellent film.

SaviniFan
10-20-2011, 01:34 AM
Another vote for Exorcist III. George C. Scott is excellent in it and the film contains one of the best scare scenes EVER!!

zompirejoe
10-20-2011, 02:28 AM
Halloween III for me ! But, Dream Warriors and Exorcist III are a very excellent films as well.

SaxCatz
10-20-2011, 04:40 AM
Army of Darkness...
Honorable mentions go to Halloween III and Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors.

Erick H.
10-20-2011, 04:48 AM
Have to go with the ''odd film out'',HALLOWEEN 3:SEASON OF THE WITCH.Atkins is a blast,Nelkin is cute,the score is great,the kills are cool and the payoff is memorable.Add to that Dan O'Herlehy's terrific turn as the baddie,it just works for me.I know some folks still hate it (I know many still feel it was false advertising,they wanted a direct followup to H-2) but I've always been very fond of it.

KamuiX
10-20-2011, 05:00 AM
It's a toss-up between Season of the Witch and Exorcist III. SotW wins out considering I watch it a lot more. Always end up stumbling on it around this time of year.

Shlockjock81
10-20-2011, 05:50 AM
Halloween III, with Elm Street 3 as a close second.

satans-sadists
10-20-2011, 07:10 AM
Halloween III: Season of the Witch, no contest. No other film on this list boasts Tom Atkins and his moustache. :glasses:

Anaestheus
10-20-2011, 07:36 AM
Easily Exorcist III. Not only do I think it's the best threequel, I even think it's the best Exorcist movie. Even with the crap ending. So much atmosphere, such great characters, such witty and fresh dialogue. It's always been one of my favorite films.

And, if anyone votes for Jaws 3D, you MUST justify that.

Katatonia
10-20-2011, 07:46 AM
Halloween III: Season of the Witch, without a doubt. It's such an awesome film.

Copyboy
10-20-2011, 09:25 AM
This was tough. Almost went with Halloween III because . . . well, because it's almost time! But the more I thought about it, I had to go with Friday the 13th Part 3. I know it doesn't get much love around here and yes, the acting is godawful; this mismatched group of "friends" is ridiculous; and the Harold & Edna, Abel the Crazy Ralph rip-off, the bikers and Chris' horrible backstory are like random pieces taken from different puzzles and thrown in for the hell of it. None of this makes much sense, but I used to LOVE this movie and watch it all the time as a kid. Even now if I had to pick one group of Friday kids who are the most likeable and the ones I'd like to party with, it would be these guys.

evildeadfan123
10-20-2011, 03:20 PM
Oh crap. I didn't see Army of Darkness, Shoot, I voted for Nightmare 3: Dreams Warriors, but that would be 2nd. First would be Army of Darkness, for obvious reasons. Then Friday 3, then Halloween 3.

msw7
10-20-2011, 05:12 PM
voted for Return of the Living Dead 3, but Army of Darkness is right up there.

It's me, Billy
10-20-2011, 05:44 PM
This is a tough one. I enjoyed The Exorcist III, Friday the 13th Part III, A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors, Psycho III, Final Destination 3, and Scream 3. But I think I have to go with The Exorcist III. That film really has the creep factor going for it and the actors are wonderful. George C. Scott was excellent.

It's me, Billy
10-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Easily Exorcist III. Not only do I think it's the best threequel, I even think it's the best Exorcist movie. Even with the crap ending. So much atmosphere, such great characters, such witty and fresh dialogue. It's always been one of my favorite films.

And, if anyone votes for Jaws 3D, you MUST justify that.

No shit. Jaws 2 was a really good sequel, but Jaws 3 and Jaws 4: The Revenge are both shit. :D

Mok
10-20-2011, 06:43 PM
Wow I would have thought Dream Warriors would take this like a runaway train. :(

JGrendel
10-20-2011, 09:06 PM
Hey Shebitch let's go!!! I love this movie... Had to go with Army of Darkness

Workshed
10-20-2011, 09:58 PM
If a series hits a "threequel" point, then it had better bring the ruckus, because by this stage most series have run their course in terms of plot and storytelling. For me, what i want out of a threequel is a something that takes the series to the next level, either in terms of pure insanity (recognizing what a stretch it is to be at a third installment) and/or ambition.

Halloween III is a great example of this: it just completely switches gears, like it ain't no thang. And while I really enjoy that flick, I don't feel like it has anything on Army of Darkness, which takes its series so far from its original premise and with such ambition, that I have to vote for it.

Workshed
10-20-2011, 10:15 PM
Honorable mention: Waxwork 2: Lost in Time, which acts like an ideal threequel--swapping out actors from the previous installment, abandoning the entire "waxwork" premise, spending the last 1/4 of the film in a sword & sorcery setting--while it is only the second installment in the series. Bravo, Waxwork 2!

Myron Breck
10-21-2011, 12:53 AM
Had to go with DREAM WARRIORS but HALLOWEEN III and EXORCIST III are both up there too.

dave13
10-21-2011, 02:22 AM
Honorable mention: Waxwork 2: Lost in Time, which acts like an ideal threequel--swapping out actors from the previous installment, abandoning the entire "waxwork" premise, spending the last 1/4 of the film in a sword & sorcery setting--while it is only the second installment in the series. Bravo, Waxwork 2!

:lol: well done

MarkWarner
10-21-2011, 02:33 AM
Shame you can't vote for multiple entries, because it would have been a tie between Halloween III and Exorcist III. I voted for H3 in the end.

mlock
10-21-2011, 07:25 AM
Hmmm, tough call. There's some classics in here but it was Nightmare on Elm St 3 for me. Army of Darkness a close second.

horror addict
10-21-2011, 07:51 AM
I can't believe the race is so tight between Season Of The Witch and Dream Warriors. I'm not knocking H3's fans, as I like the film a lot too, but NOES3 IMO may just be the greatest horror sequel ever made. Depending on my mood, I might even rank it higher than the original film. It takes everything that worked about the first NOES and kicks it to the next level. Halloween 3 is good, but Dream Warriors is on a different tier entirely.

Conal Cochran
10-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Do I need to tell you?

shape22
10-21-2011, 05:19 PM
Army of Darkness and HIII are two of my favorite flicks. And I enjoy Dream Warriors tremendously. But I have to go with Exorcist III. The first hour is insanely creepy and the distinguished cast adds a lot of gravity. And I really admire its genuine commitment to scare viewers. By the 80s so few horror films were playing it straight that it really stands out from the pack.

The film would be worth noting just for how earnestly it tries to be frightening. But the fact that it succeeds makes it something really special. I agree with the others who think it contains the greatest jump scare scene of all-time.

dave13
10-21-2011, 06:28 PM
I'm a little surprised at the level of praise being heaped on dream warriors. i mean i understand it getting a lot of votes in a poll centered solely on part 3s, since, of the bunch, it's clearly one of the better ones. But while I've found films like Halloween III or Friday the 13th Part 3 get better on repeat viewings, in my experience Dream Warriors seems to get a little less awesome each time i see it.

prez387w
10-23-2011, 01:47 PM
You guys are abviously too young to have seen Friday the 13TH Part 3 in 3D at the theatre. It was AMAZING for it's time. I still have the glasses :) LOVED IT!

Stige
10-23-2011, 01:51 PM
return of the lving dead 3
there is something about self mutilation to try and keep humanity, and the pathos of human nature that sticks in my head as memorable. Others might be just as good if not "better" but the vote goes to the film that stuck in my head longest as "important"....

Bobbywoodhogan
10-23-2011, 09:02 PM
On that list its DREAM WARRIORS

Army of Darkness is one of my favouriote films but I really don't see it as a horror movie.

Halloween 3 is probably my 2nd choice on the list one of the most underrated films ever.

rxfiend
10-24-2011, 02:03 PM
I'm a little surprised at the level of praise being heaped on dream warriors. i mean i understand it getting a lot of votes in a poll centered solely on part 3s, since, of the bunch, it's clearly one of the better ones. But while I've found films like Halloween III or Friday the 13th Part 3 get better on repeat viewings, in my experience Dream Warriors seems to get a little less awesome each time i see it.

I agree. I recently picked up the BD of NOES 2 & 3 and I didn't seem to care for 3 as much. It's been a few years since I watched it and it sort of lost the spark it once had. Part 2, on the other hand, is still awesome! :evil:

spawningblue
10-26-2011, 03:32 AM
Obviously went with Army of Darkness but a lot of great movies on that list. Right behind it would be,

2. Halloween 3
3. Exorcist 3
4. Nightmare on Elm Street 3
5. Friday the 13th 3
6. Final Destination 3
7. Phantasm 3
8. Psycho 3

hatfull
10-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Army of Darkness for me, every time. I may have to have an 'Evil Dead' evening before the month is out :)

spawningblue
10-28-2011, 12:59 AM
I can't believe the race is so tight between Season Of The Witch and Dream Warriors. I'm not knocking H3's fans, as I like the film a lot too, but NOES3 IMO may just be the greatest horror sequel ever made. Depending on my mood, I might even rank it higher than the original film. It takes everything that worked about the first NOES and kicks it to the next level. Halloween 3 is good, but Dream Warriors is on a different tier entirely.

I chose Army of Darkness but Halloween 2 would be my next choice. Like others on here, Nightmare 3 doesn't hold up as well as it used to, where as Halloween 3 gets better and better every time I watch it.