PDA

View Full Version : Franchise Harvest: CHILDREN OF THE CORN

rhett
10-24-2011, 06:39 PM
Horror fans, we're down to our final week of October Madness, and to cap of this great month we look at a, um, not too great series. Join us for 8 days of continuous CHILDREN OF THE CORN reviews, covering the franchise from THE FINAL SACRIFICE all the way to the recent GENESIS. It's a rollercoaster ride of camp, bad CGI, Naomi Watts, washed up character actors, Screaming Mad George and a whole lot of stalks of yellowy goodness. There are even a few gems to be found in the series, too.
http://horrordigital.com/reviews/pictures/b_corn.jpg

Horror fans, we're down to our final week of October Madness, and to cap of this great month we look at a, um, not too great series. Join us for 8 days of continuous CHILDREN OF THE CORN reviews, covering the franchise from THE FINAL SACRIFICE all the way to the recent GENESIS. It's a rollercoaster ride of camp, bad CGI, Naomi Watts, washed up character actors, Screaming Mad George and a whole lot of stalks of yellowy goodness. There are even a few gems to be found in the series, too. In '09 it was THE STEPFATHER franchise, in '10 it was THE OMEN franchise, and now it's the Direct-to-Video franchise that could, running strong (and showing no signs of stopping) at 9 films. How corny will it get?

As a primer, here's our already reviewed Blu-ray of the first film:

Children of the Corn (Blu-ray) (http://horrordigital.com/viewarticle.php?articleid=767)

Chunkblower has reviewed the second (the not so Final Sacrifice) on the main page, and there's a new one coming every day all the way to Halloween, so keep on checking. Popcorn flick will have a whole new meaning!

We'll still have other reviews, polls, contests and top ten lists to close out an exciting week of non-stop horror, let's take our 5th annual October Madness out with a bang, my horror battalion!

Workshed
10-24-2011, 08:06 PM
How corny will it get?

Wow. :lol:

I've seen the first three but have had absolutely no desire to explore further. It's a great franchise for October, though, as the "harvest" theme ties nicely into autumn. In fact, I used to have a "Final Sacrifice" onesheet hanging in my room in high school. Why? No idea. I do still enjoy the first film, though, and I will always love the name "Malachi" and the creepy ginger who played him.

Edit: Just checked Netflix, and they have installments IV, V, 666, and VII available for streaming.

maybrick
10-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Even though I saw the first Children film at the cinema way back in the 80s I've only recently begun renting the sequels. The second film was largely forgettable and "Urban Harvest" was slightly better but nothing to write home about. The TV remake from a few years ago was remarkably underwhelming and seemed to have an even smaller budget than the original. Granted, I have quite a few more to work my way through, but from what I've seen so far NONE of them have lived up to the potential that the story has. Killer children who killed and sacrificed their elders to a corngod should be scarier, but none of them really are for whatever reason. I have a ton of nostalgia for the first film, but honestly the best thing going for it is it's awesome score. :)

How corny will it get? Well, they still haven't done Children of the Corn... IN SPACE yet. ;)

MorallySound
10-24-2011, 08:29 PM
How corny will it get? Well, they still haven't done Children of the Corn... IN SPACE yet. ;)

However, they did kinda go to "da hood" in Part III.

I've only seen the first and third films in this franchise. And neither were very good, although I did enjoy Part III more.

dave13
10-24-2011, 08:55 PM
what?!?! wow. seriously!? yesterday i started my OWN children of the corn sequel marathon. started with part II, and now i'm half way through part 666. what a weird coincidence. and here i thought i was doing something rather unexpected. i was going to post the entire bunch of them on the october viewing thread and turn some heads with my audacious attempt to watch all the sequels in a short amount of time. but no more! thanks for stealing my thunder, reviewers!

CPT HOOK
10-24-2011, 09:16 PM
I liked the original and part IV.

startide
10-25-2011, 02:48 AM
I don't think I could ever move past the set up - kids running the town seemingly oblivious to the outside world - when I watched this on video. Needless to say, I can't remember a thing about it!!

I take that as a good sign.

Zombie Dude
10-25-2011, 04:27 AM
Up to part 4 these films aren't too bad. After that though, complete trash. I haven't seen Genesis or the remake yet but 5-7 are terrible. I actually was looking forward to 666: Isaac's Return was that was the biggest missed opportunity of a movie I've ever seen.

CPT HOOK
10-25-2011, 05:55 AM
I haven't seen Genesis yet, but the SyFy Channel remake was the worst of the series. I remembered renting and enjoyed part 7 back when it was released, but I saw it again recently on TMC and it sucked.

dave13
10-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Up to part 4 these films aren't too bad. After that though, complete trash. I haven't seen Genesis or the remake yet but 5-7 are terrible. I actually was looking forward to 666: Isaac's Return was that was the biggest missed opportunity of a movie I've ever seen.

i didn't think part 5 was terrible, but it was definitely weaker than 1, 3, or 4. its got david carradine and fred williamson, for cryin' out loud! and eva mendez, who is so obviously not 17, like she's supposed to be. it's no great shakes, but it's got a bit of charm to it. its definitely watchable. part 3 was very entertaining, with some amazing and very creative deaths, not to mention the awesome puppet monster at the end. part 4 was a legitimately good movie, i thought, or at least it seemed that way after watching parts 2 and 3 back to back. the acting was decent, the story was good, the cinematography was worlds away from the other entries in the series.

parts 2 and 666 are awful, but for different reasons. part 2 has no ambition whatsoever and is just cashing in on the first one. the acting, story, and cinematography are all as basic as can possibly be. a personal favorite moment is when the two reporter guys are stuck in their news van near the beginning when a crazy corn-storm starts. the one idiot looks at the other and says "Quick! Out of the van!!" what?? why?? they're in the middle of a corn field! why the fuck would they get out of the van? of course the one who was told to get out is immediately killed, while the one who instructed the other to get out, immediately gets back in!! of course he dies too, but still... part 666 actually began with a really atmospheric credits sequence showing feet walking through corn. i thought i might be in for another good one. but no. even stacy keach and nancy allen couldn't keep this piece of shit afloat. the kids are supposed to be amish-type fundamentalists, not wearing leather jackets, sunglasses, and toques (wool caps). so far i think this is my least favorite sequel, including part II. at least II had some entertaining badness going on. 666 is just dull.

Zombie Dude
10-26-2011, 06:23 AM
i didn't think part 5 was terrible, but it was definitely weaker than 1, 3, or 4. its got david carradine and fred williamson, for cryin' out loud! and eva mendez, who is so obviously not 17, like she's supposed to be. it's no great shakes, but it's got a bit of charm to it. its definitely watchable. part 3 was very entertaining, with some amazing and very creative deaths, not to mention the awesome puppet monster at the end. part 4 was a legitimately good movie, i thought, or at least it seemed that way after watching parts 2 and 3 back to back. the acting was decent, the story was good, the cinematography was worlds away from the other entries in the series.

parts 2 and 666 are awful, but for different reasons. part 2 has no ambition whatsoever and is just cashing in on the first one. the acting, story, and cinematography are all as basic as can possibly be. a personal favorite moment is when the two reporter guys are stuck in their news van near the beginning when a crazy corn-storm starts. the one idiot looks at the other and says "Quick! Out of the van!!" what?? why?? they're in the middle of a corn field! why the fuck would they get out of the van? of course the one who was told to get out is immediately killed, while the one who instructed the other to get out, immediately gets back in!! of course he dies too, but still... part 666 actually began with a really atmospheric credits sequence showing feet walking through corn. i thought i might be in for another good one. but no. even stacy keach and nancy allen couldn't keep this piece of shit afloat. the kids are supposed to be amish-type fundamentalists, not wearing leather jackets, sunglasses, and toques (wool caps). so far i think this is my least favorite sequel, including part II. at least II had some entertaining badness going on. 666 is just dull.
I wouldn't call part 5 good either. I actually liked part 2 better. It just seemed way too stupid. Once that chick just happily decided to jump into that tower of fire the film lost me. Plus the ending just didn't offer much and felt rather bland.
I do agree that part 6 is a piece of shit though.