PDA

View Full Version : Best Winter Horror Movie Not About Christmas

rhett
12-02-2011, 12:55 AM
It's December 1st and winter is officially upon us (well it's officially December 21st, but there's snow on the ground in Canadian cities so I'm just going to go with it), which means that it's time to dust off all those horror movies we like so much that are set in the cold, snowy winter. From this selection of favorites, which one do you like the most?

NOTE: I'm not including any "Christmas" set movies. There are already several polls on this site covering them, and I'm guessing they'd dominate the polls, so that's why Black Christmas, Silent Night, Deadly Night, Gremlins, etc. are not included.

Conal Cochran
12-02-2011, 12:56 AM
Easy: John Carpenter's The Thing

othervoice1
12-02-2011, 01:14 AM
I went with Let the Right One In but Cold Prey,The Thing and The Shining are right up there too

zompirejoe
12-02-2011, 02:17 AM
The Thing for me, The Shining is a very close second though. This is a really great list of films by the way !:)

ronnie21
12-02-2011, 02:38 AM
i remember seeing alot of ads for ghost story in dec of 81.. never knew it was a novel, I was only 9 and recall that i really wanted to see it, but i was too young at the time. But i did see it finally on cable in 83.. and liked the effects but felt that it drug a little..

buck135
12-02-2011, 02:43 AM
How can you forget Dawn of the Dead (1978)? It's my all-time favorite horror film which happened to be filmed in late '77/early '78 in freezing cold Pittsburgh.

maybrick
12-02-2011, 03:22 AM
It could be considered more of a "suspense" film, but I feel that DEAD OF WINTER (1987) deserves honorable mention. Roddy McDowall is great in it, as usual. It really captures the bleakness of the season.

dave13
12-02-2011, 03:37 AM
its gotta be the shining. much like the exorcist, repeated viewings have somewhat dulled its edge, but its still a phenomenal movie.

MarkWarner
12-02-2011, 03:56 AM
The Thing

My second choice would be The Shining.

msw7
12-02-2011, 04:33 AM
I had to go with the Thing, but Let the Right One In, The Shining, Ravenous and Dead Snow are also enjoyable.

indrid13
12-02-2011, 04:41 AM
Great bunch of films and a tough choice too. Went with The Shining after that it would be The Thing, Ginger Snaps: The Beginning and Let the Right One In. Honorable mentions would be Dead of Winter and Shredder.

satans-sadists
12-02-2011, 05:09 AM
Lots of great flicks to choose from, but this one is easy for me. The Shining followed by The Thing. Having lived in Pennsylvania for many years, I endured plenty of harsh winters. The Shining was my favorite film to watch during heavy snow storms. I really love haunted house films and the Overlook Hotel is one of the best in this subgenre. Caretaker Delbert Grady is about as cold as they get.

Erick H.
12-02-2011, 06:06 AM
I'll have to go with THE SHINING,though winter's chill has added greatly to a number of fine horror films.

Demoni
12-02-2011, 06:12 AM
Cold Prey 2

MorallySound
12-02-2011, 06:20 AM
The Shining. Followed by The Brood and The Thing. The Shining Brood Thing.

KamuiX
12-02-2011, 06:47 AM
The Shining for me, simply because of how excellent it uses the season. It's almost as much a character as the hotel is. Kwaidan and The Brood deserve solid shout-outs too.

Katatonia
12-02-2011, 08:48 AM
As much as I hate to vote against The Changeling, The Shining would easily be my favorite "winter" horror movie.

Gore Lunatic
12-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Nice list. Voted for The Shining.

Copyboy
12-02-2011, 09:31 AM
Just voted for The Thing but now that I think about it, do we really know that this takes place in the winter? I don't remember if there was a date mentioned and being Antarctica couldn't it have been the middle of summer?

Some great movies on that list. The trapped-under-the-ice scene in Omen II still freaks me the fuck out every time I see it. Also love Dead of Winter and Storm of the Century.

maybrick
12-02-2011, 01:10 PM
Just voted for The Thing but now that I think about it, do we really know that this takes place in the winter? I don't remember if there was a date mentioned and being Antarctica couldn't it have been the middle of summer?

It's dark for most of the movie, and since it takes place at the south pole we can safely say that the sun is in the northern hemisphere, which would make it Spring or early Summer.

Mok
12-02-2011, 04:00 PM
I might have picked Wind Chill, but I went with Thing. You just can't beat that one.

bigdaddyhorse
12-02-2011, 06:21 PM
It's dark for most of the movie, and since it takes place at the south pole we can safely say that the sun is in the northern hemisphere, which would make it Spring or early Summer.

Only because of this and The Thing being at the top of all my other lists, that I have to go with Ravenous. We need a Blu-ray for this cannibal classic, non-anamorphic dvd isn't cutting it on the HD set-up so much, and it would benefit greatly even if the dvd was 16X9 with all the epic long shots of the countryside and mountains and shit.

Shining is a close 3rd as that wouldn't have worked without the winter at all.

fattyjoe37
12-02-2011, 06:56 PM
Went with Let the Right One In since we can't be sure that The Thing took place during the winter.

Mutilated Prey
12-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Gotta go with The Shining, with The Thing close behind. Can't wait for Ghostkeeper!!!

Iced :lol: EH!!!!

Don't forget Dead Snow and Screams of a Winter Night!

CPT HOOK
12-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Wendigo is the best, in my opinion. But since that isn't an option, I threw a vote toward Frozen.

maybrick
12-02-2011, 11:16 PM
Went with Let the Right One In since we can't be sure that The Thing took place during the winter.

We can totally be sure that it didn't take place during winter, but since every season in Antarctica is "winter" it probably shouldn't matter.

Dobby
12-02-2011, 11:37 PM
The Thing followed by The Shining almost a tie. Don't really care for the other films in the poll.

JGrendel
12-02-2011, 11:49 PM
The Thing all the way

BBQ
12-03-2011, 12:14 AM
I gave my vote to Misery, but The Thing, The Shining, Ravenous and Dead Snow are all great choices too. But The Thing may not officially be a winter movie, it was just in Antarctica where it's always freezing.

startide
12-03-2011, 01:13 AM
A quick Google search revealed just as I suspected, there is virtually no sun in winter in Antarctica, so we can put to rest any idea that The Thing was set in winter. Not to mention I don't think they'd be going outside in -50 + degree temperatures! So I had no choice, my vote went to The Changeling. I re-watched The Thing just recently and I had forgotten not only how incredibly gory it was but how simple and effective too.

Demoni
12-03-2011, 02:12 AM
This forum is full of remarks about "The Changeling"... got to check this out.

maybrick
12-03-2011, 03:50 AM
Never really thought of The Changeling as being a "winter" film. Sure, the few seconds in the beginning where his wife and children die takes place in the winter, but does the other 85 minutes? I can't recall. And either way it has nothing whatsoever to do with the plot.

Mutilated Prey
12-03-2011, 04:54 AM
Watching another movie right now that is Winter-based.... THE BOOGENS!!!! :D

Shannafey
12-03-2011, 06:09 AM
Good poll! I like winter themed horror movies. I think the cold weather and snow can act as a character. If they are done right, you get chills from the feel of the film, not just from the horror, but from the cold weather feel. The Shining is fantastic, but nothing beats The Thing!

Anaestheus
12-03-2011, 09:19 AM
I, too, was bummed that Wendigo didn't get mentioned. I'll admit that I would have voted for Shining regardless. And would probably place Brood and Ravenous above it as well. But, I think it's still an overlooked little gem of a film and deserves more love.

CrazyFatEthel
12-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Curtains! Guilty Pleasure!

startide
12-03-2011, 09:48 PM

Saw this just recently and was thoroughly entertained. Why it isn't on DVD is beyond me. My expectations were very low, I was thinking below average to average when I put it on, but it just blew that right out of the water. That the creatures were lame didn't really matter in the end, what preceded them was so much fun I didn't care.

Weirdo
12-04-2011, 01:14 AM
Polanski's The Fearless Vampire Killers.

Anaestheus
12-04-2011, 09:19 AM
Polanski's The Fearless Vampire Killers.

Oh, good pull there.

maybrick
12-04-2011, 02:28 PM

Oh yeah, I'd definitely would have had to vote for Boogens if it was on the poll. Definitely.

indiephantom
12-06-2011, 06:53 PM
Non-horror all those stupid Ski-School, Out Cold, Snowboard Academy type films.

Horror: The Shining. Just no contest.

unclefred
12-08-2011, 06:03 PM
The Thing takes number one.

I remember reading that Ravenous, which I like quite a bit, was supposed to be set in snowed in conditions but the snow, un-characteristically for the area, didn't show up. It was a struggle to find even the little bit of snow they did shoot.

Kim Bruun
12-08-2011, 10:02 PM
I went with Cold Prey, with The Shining, Ghost Story, and The Brood being serious comtenders. I didn't even stop to consider The Thing, which would have been my pick - I guess I never though of it as a winter themed horror (as in "it's the South Pole, isn't it always winter there, more or less?"). But I never I realised how many awesome winter horrors there actually are - Curtains and The Changeling as well.

Vortex
12-11-2011, 01:23 PM
The Last Winter would be my choice despite no poll option.

shift
12-18-2011, 06:06 AM
Black Christmas is always a good classic.

Not sure when it's coming out, but I hear great things about Hostel 3.

Anthropophagus
12-22-2011, 06:13 PM
The Capture Of Bigfoot hands down, how could any film compare with an albino Bigfoot being chased by a drunken Jackie Gleason lookalike while the local sheriff does Humphrey Bogart impressions in the mirror. Add to this the great folky theme song-'You'll only find freedom the day that you diiiiieeeeee!!'.
A timeless winter classic, fun for the whole family.

bigdaddyhorse
12-29-2011, 05:10 PM
I remember reading that Ravenous, which I like quite a bit, was supposed to be set in snowed in conditions but the snow, un-characteristically for the area, didn't show up. It was a struggle to find even the little bit of snow they did shoot.

I remember hearing this also, it must've been mentioned on the commentary or making of on the dvd, as I don't recall anything else telling me info about Ravenous.

So last night I re-visited Shredder (first viewing since my first view ever in 2006) and today would probably vote for it. I didn't remember it being that fun, but had a huge blast with it last night. Somewhat silly but just non-stop fun with some characters you just want to die (I'm looking at you Kimberly, slut!) Slashers are always more fun when some characters need to die, then finally do.:evil: Still slightly annoyed Kimberly can be naked half the movie yet we never see anything we couldn't on braodcast TV, nice panty ass though.:)