PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Release of 2011?

rhett
12-31-2011, 11:12 PM
Well, we've got another year in the can and now it's time to look at the year that was. We had a number of new and catalog releases on both DVD and Bluray...which one was your favorite of 2011?

Mikey Horror
12-31-2011, 11:18 PM
The top new film of the year for me, hands down, has to be Stake Land followed very closely by Hobo with a Shotgun and Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil. As for a new release of an older film, it's tough for me to decide between either Blue Underground's release of Zombie, Synapse's Intruder, Taxi Driver or Lionsgate's 25th anniversary edition of Evil Dead II.

Anthropophagus
12-31-2011, 11:24 PM
Insidious, Tucker and Dale Vs Evil and BU's Zombie.

CPT HOOK
12-31-2011, 11:36 PM
Synapse's Intruder blu-ray.

KamuiX
01-01-2012, 12:40 AM
This was one of the best years in recent memory, but it's still pretty easy to pick Blue Velvet. It's not only my all-time favorite film, but we were FINALLY treated to extra footage from one of Lynch's films. He's always talking about all of the extra footage from his stuff, but we almost never get it. So, this was a hell of a treat.

Gotta mention other phenomenal releases too though, like Santa Sangre, Kuroneko, Island of Lost Souls, The Phantom Carriage, Sledgehammer, Things, Basket Case, The Blood Trilogy, the original I Spit On Your Grave, fun Corman releases, and likely a ton of others I'm currently forgetting. This year definitely reminded me of the glory days that we thought were sadly behind us. Lots of great stuff.

f.ramses
01-01-2012, 01:01 AM
Yeah, it was a pretty awesome year for releases, it's actually pretty hard to pick... Nightmare, Rituals, Cut-Throats Nine, Frankenhooker, The Blood Trilogy, Quatermass and the Pit, Lorna.. The Exorcist, Vamp, The Great White Silence, Zombie, Wild Beasts, Kill List, and so many more...
For the sake of a selection I'll go with Other: The Blood Trilogy; it's awesome to have Blood Feast in HD and the disc is a damn good deal.

fattyjoe37
01-01-2012, 01:10 AM
Close call between Synapse's Intruder and Lionsgate's Evil Dead II. In the end I went with Evil Dead II.

msw7
01-01-2012, 01:15 AM
Inferno, almost in a dead tie with Deep Red. I also enjoyed Tucker and Dale vs Evil.

JGrendel
01-01-2012, 01:24 AM
I had to go with Fright Night, it's one of my favorites vampire films & am so happy it was released in blu.

The Chaostar
01-01-2012, 01:55 AM
Island of Lost Souls. A true horror masterpiece, unavailable on DVD 'till Criterion got it's hands on it for a blu-ray that defies criticism.

MorallySound
01-01-2012, 02:16 AM
Of the releases that I've had a chance to check out, my vote goes to Blue Underground's Zombie Blu-ray. Great transfer and a ton of great new extras. Plus I happened to spot myself in the Zombie Wasteland featurette, so it holds a special place for me.

Runner-up: Synapse's Intruder Blu-ray with the workprint bonus.

SaviniFan
01-01-2012, 02:37 AM
Synapse's Zombie Blu-ray

Bill Lustig would like a word with you....

SaviniFan
01-01-2012, 02:40 AM
I chose Horror Express. Even though the blu-ray leaves a bit to be desired in the video department, it is a step up from any other previous home format release and I really treasure the film.

Hitchcock's Psycho was another fine release for the year.

x666x
01-01-2012, 02:55 AM
Dorm! Come on. Scenes of violence was restored with newly created audio to support it. This film has more violence to it than it ever had before. As an overall release no other can beat it. Don May makes this release beyond anything I'd ever expect from a DVD/Blu releasing company.

X-human
01-01-2012, 03:38 AM
No brainer for me, Island of Lost Souls. Long sought since DVD began and reportedly in too poor of shape to be released. To get a remastering on Blu-ray from Criterion, out of all the possible outcomes, is simply a miracle. I've talked with the pope on several occasions to have it declared one but these things take time. The return of Jesus in all His glory would still take decades for that bunch to confirm.

Dorm That Dripped Blood and Basket Case are both excellent recommendations as well. The Blood Trilogy had a minor slip up that unfortunately knocks an otherwise great set down a peg. Intruder with workprint and Fright Night are also noteworthy. While I'm anticipating purchasing Blue Velvet, a favorite of mine, I couldn't comment on it till I finally pick it up. Frankenhooker is just an unexpected treasure for me.

Next year already is shaping up to be a terrific slate. It looks like Synapse will be getting us three more Hammers and more, Kino has a wonderful slate with Jean Rollins and more, Ken Russell's The Devils will finally see a release and even Andy Milligan's long lost Nightbirds is in the mix for Blu-ray! That's just what we know. Not to forgets rumors of Jaws/Jaws 3 3D, more Hitchcock including 3D and the Universal Classics with a 3D Creature whispered on the wind as well.

People say DVD is dead, Blu-ray is dead and 3D is dead. My pocket book wishes it lived in their world. It doesn't.

fceurich39
01-01-2012, 04:23 AM
even though the horror blu-ray release of the year should be zombie i voted for fright night mainly for it being an awesome limited edition item

Undeadcow
01-01-2012, 05:41 AM
Lorna the Exorcist!

Santa Sangre was a really nice release too.

MorallySound
01-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Bill Lustig would like a word with you....

Big time slip up.

satans-sadists
01-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Blue Velvet, followed by Island of Lost Souls and Horror Express. Blow Out Criterion release is also worthy of mention.

evildeadfan123
01-01-2012, 06:42 PM
Went with Fright Night. 2nd would be Evil Dead 2, then Zombie, House By The Cemetery, Halloween 2, and Intruder.

evildeadfan123
01-01-2012, 06:46 PM
I too, purchased Tucker & Dale Vs Evil. Another good one is Chillerama. There's so many to list.

Copyboy
01-01-2012, 09:13 PM
On this list, definitely Island of Lost Souls. I rented the VHS years ago, absolutely loved it, and can't believe it's taken so long to finally make it to DVD. Off the list, Rituals, Humongous and Night of the Demon. Have been waiting way too long for all of these! In all honesty I NEVER thought I'd live to see Night of the Demon get a DVD release.

indrid13
01-01-2012, 10:11 PM
So much good stuff came out this year, Rituals, Humongous, Night of the Demon, Evil Dead II, Sledgehammer, Halloween II, Blood Trilogy, Inferno and Nightmare to name a few. But I have to go with Dorm as my favorite of them all this year.

Gore Lunatic
01-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Voted for Zombie, one of my favorite films ever. Seeing it in HD was such a treat and the extras were great. Night Of The Demon and Humungous were also my favorite releases of 2011.

evildeadfan123
01-02-2012, 03:48 PM
I think there was too many good releases to mention and hard to decide. I love Evil Dead 2, but I chose Fright Night because I had been waiting for it to come out on Blu-Ray, and it finally did, but I wish it did have a few extras that what was on the Blu-Ray, but that's okay. I'm just happy to have the movie on Blu-Ray.

Zillamon51
01-02-2012, 05:34 PM
From the list, I have:

Halloween II (hurt by lack of extras)
I Spit on Your Grave (both versions, the original is a great BD, but I haven't watched the remake yet)
Island of Lost Souls (awesome movie & disc)
Hatchet II (disappointed by the movie on first viewing)

I voted "Other" for Destroy All Monsters.

Mutilated Prey
01-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Nightmare - we've been waiting a long time for that and now everyone can finally shut up about it.

Humongous get a vote too :D

Gizmo
01-09-2012, 07:05 AM
Fright Night for sure! Love that movie!!

Nailwraps
01-10-2012, 12:16 AM
Probably Evil Dead II. :)