PDA

View Full Version : Dracula - Prince of Darkness

Behemoth
01-09-2002, 11:08 PM
I just received Dracula - Prince of Darkness from DV-Depot, and noticed that it's in color. Now, I remember seeing this movie on TV about 15 years ago, and I'm sure it was in black and white when I saw it. Anyone know if this movie exists in a B&W version? Or is it just me imagining things?

Philzilla
01-10-2002, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Behemoth
I just received Dracula - Prince of Darkness from DV-Depot, and noticed that it's in color. Now, I remember seeing this movie on TV about 15 years ago, and I'm sure it was in black and white when I saw it. Anyone know if this movie exists in a B&W version? Or is it just me imagining things?

it's color, maybe your tv or network had problems.

RabidFulci
01-21-2002, 05:39 PM
The movie is most certainly in color...and Might I recommend viewing it in letterbox form, otherwise you'll have to settle for some cheap pan n' scan version---and this movie really suffers from it.

spawningblue
03-19-2009, 08:40 PM
Anyone else see this or know anything about it? Says it is two discs and came out last week from Anchor Bay. Would be sweet if it's legit as the other Anchor Bay releases are OOP, but I have a feeling it's fake as it says in Region Free.

http://www.amazon.com/Dracula-Prince-Darkness-Disc-Set/dp/B001V5K3AA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1237491194&sr=8-1

spawningblue
03-19-2009, 08:49 PM
Just noticed this "This product is manufactured on demand using DVD-R recordable media. Amazon.com's standard return policy will apply.", so I guess it is fake. Weird that it is Amazon selling it though and not some other dealer.

Dammit! When is Anchor Bay going to re-release their Hammer horror catalog. They go for ridiculous prices on eBay that I refuse to pay. I thought I heard on here that they found some missing footage from one of the Dracula films so a re-release could be in the future, but nothing has been announced yet.

russweiss
03-19-2009, 09:36 PM
One of my favorite posters for this film.

satans-sadists
03-19-2009, 09:50 PM
Just noticed this "This product is manufactured on demand using DVD-R recordable media. Amazon.com's standard return policy will apply.", so I guess it is fake. Weird that it is Amazon selling it though and not some other dealer.

At least they are providing a disclaimer now. In January of this year I bought the Linda Blair movie Hell Night. Of course it's an out of print dvd. Still I figured that buying it directly from Amazon would mean it was an authentic dvd. Sure enough it was a DVD-R.

I complained to Amazon and got a lame excuse with an offer to return the dvd. I kept it anyway since it's out of print and an awesome movie too. Makes me a bit suspicious of Amazon though. :eek2:

X-human
03-19-2009, 11:22 PM
At least they are providing a disclaimer now. In January of this year I bought the Linda Blair movie Hell Night. Of course it's an out of print dvd. Still I figured that buying it directly from Amazon would mean it was an authentic dvd. Sure enough it was a DVD-R.

Is there anything else on there to indicate that it is Anchor Bay? There's a very good chance this is a legit release. For example BCI did a pre-release of The Giant Spider Invasion director's cut on Amazon, which couldn't have been bootlegged as it is a new transfer that'll be given its first wide release in May.

Horrorphilly
03-19-2009, 11:40 PM
Ive yet to see this movie so instead of paying for the AB disc.Im d/l a uncompressed dvd-r file of it.It will hold me off till AB or someone re-releases it.Is it a really good movie? So far ive loved the Christopher Lee draculas.

sean

satans-sadists
03-20-2009, 12:06 AM
Is there anything else on there to indicate that it is Anchor Bay? There's a very good chance this is a legit release. For example BCI did a pre-release of The Giant Spider Invasion director's cut on Amazon, which couldn't have been bootlegged as it is a new transfer that'll be given its first wide release in May.

The disc itself is as homemade as it gets with amateur printing of the title Hell Night. The flipside of the disc is your standard DVD-R color. I'm pretty sure the Anchor Bay logo is printed on the back cover. Can't verify though since all of my movies are packed away. We're moving to Arizona next week.

Erick H.
03-20-2009, 07:08 AM
Ive yet to see this movie so instead of paying for the AB disc.Im d/l a uncompressed dvd-r file of it.It will hold me off till AB or someone re-releases it.Is it a really good movie? So far ive loved the Christopher Lee draculas.

sean

I'm fond of it and on whole I would say it's pretty well regarded.It has some memorable scenes,a nice score and a strong supporting cast (including Andrew Keir from QUATERMAS AND THE PIT).Lee has a fair amount of screen time but you should note that he has no dialogue (there have been multiple stories given as to why.) The result gives Dracula a rather ghostly effect.With that in mind I would stay say it's a solid series entry.

RVN
03-22-2009, 03:03 AM
I don't know why I love this film as much as I do, given that the four travelers who end up at Drac's castle break every "don't go in there" warning sign you can think of. Townsfolk warning- primitive superstition. Carriage breakdown- could happen to anybody. Carriage with no driver stops to pick you up- what luck! Carriage with no driver strays off path and takes you directly to creepy old castle- better than rolling off a cliff! Frightening man welcomes you in and tells you the castle belonged to Count Dracula... how quaint. Let's go to bed now, shall we? Its been quite a day. Still... I freakin' love this film. Barbara Shelley steals the show.

spawningblue
10-27-2010, 10:44 PM
I posted about this in the "Last Movie You Purchased" thread, but for anyone that didn't see it in there and is interested in picking this flick up. Amazon has the long out of print double feature DVD on their site right now for $23. Not sure if they found a box in their warehouse or not, but it doesn't say anywhere it's a DVD-R and has the same release date and SKU number as the original release so... looks like it just may be legit. If interested, might want to order a copy asap.

dave13
10-28-2010, 12:22 AM
I posted about this in the "Last Movie You Purchased" thread, but for anyone that didn't see it in there and is interested in picking this flick up. Amazon has the long out of print double feature DVD on their site right now for $23. Not sure if they found a box in their warehouse or not, but it doesn't say anywhere it's a DVD-R and has the same release date and SKU number as the original release so... looks like it just may be legit. If interested, might want to order a copy asap.

nice find. its great how with that, scars of dracula, and warner brothers' dracula four movie edition, you can have a complete collection of hammer's draculas. at least, the ones with christopher lee.

X-human
10-28-2010, 06:29 AM

Look again, just below the "In Stock:"DVD-R Note: This product is manufactured on demand when ordered from Amazon.com.

Egg_Shen
10-28-2010, 07:12 AM
Look again, just below the "In Stock:"

I think you're looking at the wrong one.

http://www.amazon.com/Dracula-Prince-Darkness-Satanic-Rites/dp/B0000W5H7E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288246159&sr=8-1

That's interesting it's back in stock. I'm not a big enough fan of those to buy it, but it's the same price as the DVD-R's they were selling, so it's a good deal for those who are.

TheDreamMaster
10-28-2010, 02:08 PM
A lot of those Hammer DFs randomly pop in and out of stock on Amazon, it seems. Of course, the one with the two Quatermass movies never do, and those are about the only ones I really want still.

maybrick
10-28-2010, 02:13 PM
The R2 Dracula Prince of Darkness is far superior than that old non-anamorphic "mastered for laserdisc" transfer. You're better off spending your money on the import, or at this point even holding off for the inevitable blu-ray remaster.

TheDreamMaster
10-28-2010, 02:20 PM
That's true, that old AB disc is really rough looking by today's standards; hell, it probably wasn't very pretty ten years ago. :)

maybrick
10-28-2010, 03:47 PM
That's true, that old AB disc is really rough looking by today's standards; hell, it probably wasn't very pretty ten years ago. :)

Ha! It really wasn't! I held off ten years ago because it wasn't much of an improvement on the Anchor VHS tape of Dracula POD I already owned. Through amazon.co.uk you can buy a much better transfer of the film for less than $10, even with overseas shipping included! :)

spawningblue
11-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Well if anyone cares it definitely is legit and not a DVD-R.