PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Hitchcock Film

rhett
02-18-2012, 07:51 AM
With Fox/MGM releasing three of Hitch's classics on Bluray (Rebecca, Notorious and Spellbound), it's time to take a look at the master's work. What's your favorite?

fattyjoe37
02-18-2012, 08:10 AM
There are so many great ones that it's hard to choose. In the end I went with Psycho. My top 3 from Hitch would probably be that, Rear Window, and Vertigo.

KamuiX
02-18-2012, 09:11 AM
I went with Strangers on a Train, but it could seriously be nearly any of these. Notorious, Rear Window, Vertigo, Psycho, Frenzy, North by Northwest...all pretty much perfect. And some that aren't included, like Foreign Correspondent, The Trouble with Harry and The Wrong Man are all damn good too. The man was a treasure trove of excellent cinema.

Paff
02-18-2012, 09:24 AM
I went with North by Northwest, but I could have easily gone with his West-to-East US chase film, Saboteur.

Vertigo has never really "worked" for me.

Copyboy
02-18-2012, 11:03 AM
Vertigo. Not only my favorite Hitchcock film, but probably my favorite film of all time.

Anthropophagus
02-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Psycho, pretty much the kickstart of the slasher film, even though others came before it that touched on the genre. Great sustained atmosphere of dread throughout and that performance by Perkins is masterful

SaviniFan
02-18-2012, 12:42 PM
The Birds. Psycho is going to be the most obvious choice for most, but for me the Birds just barely edges it out as I find it has more replay value.

HoldenMcNeil
02-18-2012, 02:06 PM
Rear Window, hands down.

Ash28M
02-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Rear Window is just mesmerizing. It's just edges Psycho for me.

JGrendel
02-18-2012, 02:59 PM
I voted Psycho with Dial M For Murder & Strangers On A Train as being close runners up.

X-human
02-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Vertigo just barely gets inched out by Rebeca in my eyes. Joan Fontaine is Hitchcock's most empathetic character and the plot is well weaved into this fact. While Vertigo takes Jimmy Stewart down a dark unsympathetic road and I love that Hitchcock did that too.

dave13
02-18-2012, 04:55 PM
went with Rear Window. The plot and writing are incredibly clever, james stewart is great in the lead, and grace kelly is stunningly beautiful. I love everything about the movie, and could watch it at any time, no matter what mood i'm in.

of course, every other film on that list has something to recommend it. I love The Lady Vanishes, Notorious, Vertigo, Psycho, North by Northwest, Frenzy, and The Birds. They're all perfect films. One film that I don't seem to enjoy as much as it's reputation would suggest I should is Strangers on a Train. It seems to be widely regarded as one of his masterpieces, but I've always found it a little harder to enjoy than a lot of his others. It's a great film, but then, so many of his films are great. For me, it's not really near the top of the list. Other favorites not listed above are Foreign Correspondent, Shadow of a Doubt, and Young and Innocent.

allmessedup
02-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Went with the obvious, PSYCHO, but probably could have picked FRENZY. That part where he's trying to retrieve his pin gets me every time.

satans-sadists
02-18-2012, 09:44 PM
Voted for North By Northwest. Rounding out my top five would be Psycho, Vertigo, The Birds, and Rope. Saw all of these and some other Hitchcock films in the theater during the past six years.

Erick H.
02-19-2012, 06:17 AM
In a pinch I guess I'd go with NORTH BY NORTHWEST but really,there are a wealth of choices here.

Chunkblower
02-19-2012, 10:10 AM
Psycho by a hair but Rebecca, Vertigo, The Birds, North by Northwest and Rear Window are all close contenders.

evildeadfan123
02-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Voted for Psycho. It's just creepy, with very little blood, and the shower scene alone, is worth all the other Hitchcock movies.

Anaestheus
02-19-2012, 11:22 PM
Even though I can admit that there are "greater" films by Hitchcock, NbNW has always been my favorite. It may not have the depth of some of his other masterpieces, but there is just something effortlessly perfect about that film. It has a dash of everything that made Hitchcock a genius.

_pi_
02-19-2012, 11:39 PM
Vertigo for me. Also one of my all time favorites. The atmosphere, mystery, music .. just so incredibly rewatchable and dense.

Yowie
02-27-2012, 08:13 PM
I went with The 39 Steps, for some reason it seems terribly underrated among Hitch fans yet it's one of the most famous films ever made, every situation and scene from that film a memorable image. Probably the textbook film for thriller directors. It's also been remade a few times, but they all obviously fall short of the original's brilliance. Other films I have at the very top are The Birds, Frenzy, Sabotage, Rebecca, Jamaica Inn, Strangers on a Train, Rope, Marnie, Rear Window, The Lady Vanishes, Dial M For Murder, Psycho and both Man Who Knew Too Much. A truly underrated one is Young & Innocent while I'm afraid I find Vertigo and North By Northwest overrated and quite drawn out, basically the latter's famous scenes the best factors there. But with so many great films from perhaps the greatest director ever, it's nearly impossible to choose a real list nevermind trying to order it.

Mazurka Macabre
02-29-2012, 09:45 PM
Vertigo, hands down. Very bold move for Hitchcock to lay Judy's cards on the table halfway through the film.

In terms of suspense Rear Window takes the cake--some of those sequences are excruciating to watch. Psycho, with The Birds as a close second, for horror. Hedren's bedroom scene is a perfect, golden echo of the shower scene IMO.

Dobby
03-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Rear Window gets my vote easily. Sucks there is no blu ray for it.