PDA

View Full Version : Horror Soundtracks

rhett
03-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Based on the recent thread about the value of the original Phantasm soundtrack (here (http://horrordigital.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=43390)) I thought I'd throw up a fun little poll about the top horror movie soundtracks. I've tried to hit the most notable soundtracks and in other cases to at least represent some of the more famous composers in the genre (Morricone, Glass, Frizzi, Goblin, etc.). I won't hit them all, so post your other favorites here, but from the list just pick one so we don't have a big fat ol' boring "Other" riding.

dave13
03-06-2012, 07:07 PM
man, i can't imagine anybodies going to have an easy time choosing from that list. i'd have to go with Bernard Herrman and Psycho, but there are half a dozen others on that list that could easily get the most votes, and deserve them too. beyond all the most likely candidates on that list, i agree with the inclusion of the score to cannibal holocaust. it's yet another element of the film that really rises above the usual genre expectations. in the interest of mentioning other films with great scores, the score to Mark of the Devil is really effective. the strings in the main theme are completely hair-raising, immediately setting the viewer on edge. i was very impressed.

Katatonia
03-06-2012, 07:39 PM
I can't believe that Christopher Young's orchestral score for Hellraiser isn't on the list. :eek2:

Lizard in a Woman's Skin though, seriously? I wouldn't even consider that among Morricone's best scores in the genre.

But out of the list, I'd go with Phantasm, which grows and grows on me each time I hear it.

DVD Connoisseur
03-06-2012, 07:57 PM
I voted for A Nightmare on Elm Street. Have to admit, it was a tough call...

Cooperkill
03-06-2012, 08:11 PM
My all time favorite is Creepshow, but I voted for Halloween, which is a close second.

Mok
03-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Easily Halloween. Thing would be second.

KamuiX
03-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Give it to Halloween, although Suspiria is a VERY close second.

Mikey Horror
03-06-2012, 08:32 PM
I went with Dawn of the Dead. While I consider Halloween to probably be the most memorable and recognizable, Dawn's soundtrack just holds a nostalgic feel with me.

buck135
03-06-2012, 08:50 PM
Dawn all the way. My favorite film, my favorite soundtrack. Goblin + Mall Muzak + Stock Music + "The Gonk" = pure movie magic. :)

Conal Cochran
03-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Creepshow and Halloween III. My vote was for the Fog. Great one too.

MarkWarner
03-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Halloween.

Honorable mentions: A Nightmare on Elm Street, Dawn of the Dead, Jaws, Psycho, Suspiria, The Exorcist, The Fog, The Thing.
Not on the list: 28 Days Later, Alien, Book Of Shadows: Blair Witch 2, Christine, Creepshow, Evil Dead II, Halloween II (2009), Halloween III, Halloween 4, High Tension, Jaws, Prince Of Darkness, Saw, Se7en, Session 9, The Descent, The Evil Dead, The Mist, The Shining, Them (Ils), Trick 'r Treat.

FinalSora
03-06-2012, 09:09 PM
CREEPSHOW is my all-time favorite score. John Harrison + Prophet 5 synth = GENIUS.

Other notables: Maniac, City Of The Living Dead, Mountaintop Motel Massacre, House By the Cemetery, The Fog, Unhinged.

I put my vote for THE FOG from those listed

rhett
03-06-2012, 10:05 PM
I can't believe that Christopher Young's orchestral score for Hellraiser isn't on the list. :eek2:

Lizard in a Woman's Skin though, seriously? I wouldn't even consider that among Morricone's best scores in the genre.

But out of the list, I'd go with Phantasm, which grows and grows on me each time I hear it.

I put Lizard on there to represent Morricone and the giallo, since most were from other genres or artists. Judging by the initial feedback though, it looks like Creepshow would be a better fit, so I've switched them out.

rhett
03-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Halloween.

Honorable mentions: A Nightmare on Elm Street, Dawn of the Dead, Jaws, Psycho, Suspiria, The Exorcist, The Fog, The Thing.
Not on the list: 28 Days Later, Alien, Book Of Shadows: Blair Witch 2, Christine, Creepshow, Evil Dead II, Halloween II (2009), Halloween III, Halloween 4, High Tension, Jaws, Prince Of Darkness, Saw, Se7en, Session 9, The Descent, The Evil Dead, The Mist, The Shining, Them (Ils), Trick 'r Treat.

:)

jscott
03-06-2012, 11:34 PM
Voted for Dawn, but Night of the Living Dead (68) is easily my favorite.

Shlockjock81
03-07-2012, 12:24 AM
Impossible for me to vote on just one. I love every one of these scores.

Mitbox
03-07-2012, 02:48 AM
No Hellraiser, no vote from me!

SaviniFan
03-07-2012, 03:38 AM
The Fog. My second favorite (not on the list) would be Phenomena.

dave13
03-07-2012, 03:50 AM
as far as argento and goblin goes, i prefer the deep red score to suspiria.

allmessedup
03-07-2012, 05:10 AM
Voted Dawn, it has the most variety of things that I like, a lot of the others just have maybe 1-2 memorable tracks.

I like CANNIBAL FERROX quite a bit too.

othervoice1
03-07-2012, 08:21 AM
As much as I want to vote for Suspiria I have to be honest and go with Halloween- I mean its just classic. But Suspiria gets my honorable mention. I always found the soundtrack to Children of the Corn really creepy. (And when I vote its by the score in the movie that sticks in my head the most- I do not own the actual soundtracks to these movies)

rhett
03-07-2012, 08:26 AM
No Hellraiser, no vote from me!

Okay, okay, I've taken off Rosemary's Baby and added Hellraiser. Now the Polanski fans better not all come out of the woodwork!

Voted for Dawn, but Night of the Living Dead (68) is easily my favorite.

Since Night had that whole thing with the public domain soundtrack and the different versions floating about, I wasn't sure if there actually was a total consensus on the score so I left it out.

Katatonia
03-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Okay, okay, I've taken off Rosemary's Baby and added Hellraiser. Now the Polanski fans better not all come out of the woodwork!

Grrr... :mad:

rhett, want to remove my vote so I can vote for Hellraiser then? Or just subtract one from Phantasm and add one for Hellraiser. ;)

chancetx
03-07-2012, 10:28 AM
No "Poltergeist" OR "Carrie"?!? Jerry Goldsmith and Pino Donaggio both have extensive genre credits - they were robbed! :cry:

I voted for "Nightmare on Elm Street" because that main theme still gives me chills. Depending on my mood "Halloween" could have got my vote, but I'm an 80s kid and Freddy was the man of my nightmares over Michael Myers.

jscott
03-07-2012, 03:04 PM
Since Night had that whole thing with the public domain soundtrack and the different versions floating about, I wasn't sure if there actually was a total consensus on the score so I left it out.

Night's score has never been public domain. All tracks were licensed from Capitol HQ (along with some electronic cues by Karl Hardman). The soundtrack has had two official releases, first by Varese Sarabande in the 80's :

http://home.comcast.net/~axlish/album_front.jpg

and also on CD from 2010:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_iUvnr837r54/TDUISWsvBtI/AAAAAAAACts/Efl3VcOQrNM/s400/THEY-WONT-STAY-DEAD-front-cover.jpg

Just wanted to clarify the status of the soundtrack. You don't have to put it on the poll. I think Halloween or Dawn of the Dead will take it.

evildeadfan123
03-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Man. Too many choices. I went with Friday the 13th.

Anthropophagus
03-07-2012, 04:13 PM
The Amityville Horror, Christine, The Fog, Zombie, The Shining, The Exorcist, The Car.
Voted for the The Fog.

MorallySound
03-07-2012, 04:24 PM
My favourite score is Donald Rubenstein's score for George A. Romero's Martin. Such a haunting and unique jazz score that's just stuck with me so much since I first saw the film.

There are FAR too many great horror film scores though and I have plenty of favourites.

Goblin's score (featuring Argento) for Dawn of the Dead - actually, the DeWolfe library music in Dawn is actually quite good and memorable too.
Jay Chattaway's score for Maniac.
Riz Ortlani's score for Cannibal Holocaust.
Fabio Frizzi's score for Zombie.
Ennio Morricone's score for Exorcist 2: The Heretic.
Krzysztof Komeda's score for Rosemary's Baby.
Charles Bernstein's score for The Entity.

And on and on and on.

Kim Bruun
03-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Halloween was the obvious choice for me - for many years, the theme unnerved me so much that I wouldn't listen to it on a lonely, dark night.

Other favourites include The Omen, What Have You Done to Solange?, Friday the 13th, and Suspiria (which Kolobos hilariously rips off with its soundtrack).

ronnie21
03-07-2012, 11:14 PM
evil dead is a hard to find soundtrack. so is nightmare on elm street. And dawn of the dead goes for alot too...Lp versions...

Mitbox
03-08-2012, 02:54 AM
Yes! Hellraiser!!. No contest for me, this is one of my favorites albums ever. Easily top 10 and I listen to a lot of music, a lot!

CPT HOOK
03-08-2012, 03:13 AM
Candyman

Mutilated Prey
03-08-2012, 03:48 AM
Had to go with Friday the 13th, but Creepshow and The Beyond are great too!

Copyboy
03-08-2012, 10:09 AM
A lot of great scores here and some I'm not familiair with at all but had to go with Halloween. A friend of mine recorded the entire movie on old school cassette tape and played it to me one night when he slept over my house. Without even having seen the movie, the music alone scared the bejesus out of me.

_pi_
03-08-2012, 10:14 PM
From the list, The Thing is my personal favorite ...

Morricone + Carpenter was a match made in heaven. Carpenter's own music is fantastic (Halloween is my close 2nd from the above list), but when Morricone channeled him, the result was amazing.

I'm also quite fond of A Nightmare on Elm Street and some of the themes in The Fog ...

BUT like some have pointed out, there is some serious lack of Mr. Goldsmith here! Well okay, there's The Omen, but I'd say Alien and Poltergeist are two of the best horror film scores ever. To me, very few scores come close to Alien .. no matter what the genre is.

ronnie21
03-08-2012, 10:32 PM
wow, i use to do that with movies. record them on an old cassette recorder and just listen to them. since i knew the visuals real well,,, I miss those days..

rxfiend
03-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Hard list to choose from! I went with Suspiria. It's one film that when I tell people about it, the first thing I mention is the music.

walkingdude
03-12-2012, 06:45 PM
I really like the Day of the Dead soundtrack.I have a cassette tape of it.Anyone know if there's a CD release?

DVD Connoisseur
03-12-2012, 09:22 PM
I really like the Day of the Dead soundtrack.I have a cassette tape of it.Anyone know if there's a CD release?

There was an official soundtrack released 10 years ago:

http://www.discogs.com/John-Harrison-Day-Of-The-Dead-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/release/1597101

walkingdude
03-12-2012, 09:33 PM
There was an official soundtrack released 10 years ago:

http://www.discogs.com/John-Harrison-Day-Of-The-Dead-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/release/1597101

I'd like to get my hands on that.My cassette does not have the 5 extra tracks.

Workshed
03-12-2012, 09:43 PM
Suspiria's soundtrack does more than just add to the atmosphere of the film, it enhances it and feels more like a soundscape than a track to me. Plus, the band is named "Goblin." Awesome. When I first watched Suspiria, I couldn't believe the music that accompanied it--unlike anything I'd heard before in a film.

CrazyFatEthel
03-14-2012, 04:49 AM
Halloween for sure. A simple piano score, so haunting!

JGrendel
03-18-2012, 01:00 AM
I voted Candyman, it's such a haunting score.

buck135
03-18-2012, 01:10 AM

Really? I felt that the score to Day was really the weak point of the film. I've never heard anyone say that it was their favorite.

shape22
03-18-2012, 02:55 AM
This is insanely hard. Good poll Rhett.

I've had a 30+ year love affair with Carpenter's Halloween score. So I can't vote against it. But I love quite a few of the others on this list too. Suspiria and Candyman round out my top 3. I listen to selections from those soundtracks frequently. And the Jaws, Psycho, Exorcist, and Omen scores are justifiably immortal.

I would definitely swap out Tenebrae for Deep Red. I have a lot of Goblin stuff on CD. But I rank Suspiria and Deep Red above their other scores.

Carpenter could easily have several more spots on the list. I'd pick his H3 score over The Fog.

Morricone is amazing. His score for Once Upon A Time In The West never stays out of my CD player for long. His work on Who Saw Her Die? is tremendous as well. The main killer theme is truly memorable.

DVD-fanatic-9
03-25-2012, 06:24 AM
Really? I felt that the score to Day was really the weak point of the film.
What's weak about it?

My favorites?
1) Killer Klowns from Outer Space - John Massari
2) Sorority House Massacre 2 & Hard to Die - Chuck Cirino
3) changes all the time, right now it's Romero's Day of the Dead

The best (in my opinion)
1) Phantasm
2) Creepshow
3) Deep Red - Goblin & Georgio Gaslini (?spelling?)
4) Carnival of Souls - Gene Moore
5) Bay of Blood / Carnage / Twitch of the Death Nerve - Stelvio Cipriani
6) Piranha & The Howling - Pino Donaggio
7) Tenebre - Simonetti / Morante / Pignatelli
8) Videodrome - Howard Shore
9) Cat People (1982) - Giorgio Moroder

Honorable mentions OR Underrated
0) Psycho III - Carter Burwell
0) Bad Taste - Michelle Scullion & Jay Snowfield
0) The Fog
0) Suspiria, Phenomena, & Opera
0) Killer Klowns from Outer Space
0) Day of the Dead
0) Tales from the Hood - Christopher Young (VASTLY superior to Hellraiser)

Themes / pieces of music separate from the main score I think are some of the finest music moments in the genre
0) closing credits of The Initiation
0) closing credits of Brain Damage
0) closing credits of Basket Case
0) opening & closing credits of Lisa and the Devil
0) the stock music used during the surgery/operation scenes in Cronenberg's Rabid
0) Fright Night - "Come to Me"
0) Four Flies on Grey Velvet - "Come Un Madrigale"
0) Pet Sematary - "Gentle Exhuming"
0) Friday the 13th Part III - disco theme
0) American Werewolf in London "Suite"
0) closing credits of C.H.U.D.
0) Fright - "Ladybird" (both/all renditions)
0) House on Haunted Hill ('59) - the music that plays when Nora meets Annabelle on the staircase
0) City of the Living Dead / Gates of Hell - "Apoteosi Del Mistero"
0) Nekromantik theme (I've never seen the movie so I don't know where it figures into the film)

Overrated (in my opinion)
0) Hellraiser
0) Christine
0) The Omen
0) Cannibal Holocaust

As for why they're overrated, I would say Hellraiser and Holocaust are extremely repetitious and Christine and Omen are just dull.

Scores I've yet to go through track-by-track
0) Halloween
0) The Shining
0) Maniac

walkingdude
03-25-2012, 03:08 PM
Really? I felt that the score to Day was really the weak point of the film. I've never heard anyone say that it was their favorite.
Now it may not be my favorite but definitely close.I just felt it went well with the tone of the movie.Plus I suppose when you watch something 200 times the music kind of sticks with you.
I'm also a fan of the WG Snuffy Walden tracks from The Stand.

Kim Bruun
03-25-2012, 04:47 PM
I voted Candyman, it's such a haunting score.

I agree. Theme theme reminds me of a lullaby, and it is at once sad and creepy. As such, I the the musical theme and the theme of the movie complement each other ideally.

The theme to A Nightmare on Elm Street has similar qualities. Strains of it have a nursery rhyme/children's song quality to them, but also signal something sinister.

Horror, of course, is a very emotional thing, and a horror soundtrack must immediately set the required atmosphere. Since emotion is purely subjective, I think we can all say what works for us and what doesn't. But saying what is generally good film music is kinda hard without a degree in music.

Anthropophagus
03-29-2012, 04:59 AM
Just watched Dressed To Kill tonight and while not technically a straight up horror film, that score just complements the film so well. It also reminded me of the soundtrack to The Howling, another score that just fits the film so perfectly.

evildeadfan123
03-30-2012, 01:27 AM
When I voted a few weeks ago, I should have mentioned Honorable Mention: Fright Night - Original

Anthropophagus
03-30-2012, 02:34 AM
I know it's not horror, but I just watched Death Wish 2 for the first time today. Good Lord, that has my vote for one of the most overbearing and grating soundtracks courtesy of the usually God-like Jimmy Page. I wonder what he was on when he did this one, his guitar playing sounds like he had broken fingers and much of the score seems so out of place.

Regurgitate
03-30-2012, 03:40 AM
Had to go with Phantasm.. It fit the movie perfectly and also Entombed incorporated the theme into a song on their first album which allowed for soloing opportunities!

Hatchetwarrior
04-04-2012, 09:46 PM
This is such a tough one, so many iconic soundtracks here. But I'm going with Dawn Of The Dead. It is easily the most unique.