PDA

View Full Version : What Argento film to buy next?

jscott
01-10-2002, 09:27 PM
I've almost got them all, but I need your help as to which to buy next. All I'm asking for is your opinion, what film you think is the best out of the choices.

Andrew
01-10-2002, 10:01 PM
Get Stendhal. It's basically a love it or hate it, but I loved it.

Hellbilly
01-10-2002, 10:20 PM
Get Trauma. It's one of Argento's more underrated flicks.

Cujo108
01-10-2002, 11:05 PM
Get FOUR FLIES ON GREY VELVET. It is the best Argento film that is on your list.

jscott
01-10-2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Cujo108
Get FOUR FLIES ON GREY VELVET. It is the best Argento film that is on your list.

AHA! Thank you for bringing up my 2nd question. Is there a domestic DVD or Laserdisc that offers this film uncut? I haven't seen one yet.

Egg_Shen
01-10-2002, 11:24 PM
The first half of The Stendhal Syndrome is pretty good, though I found the second part less inspired. However it IS much better then the only other Argento fim I've seen on the list, Phantom of the Opera. I voted for Stendhal, but when I think about again I would probably get Four Flies On Grey Velvet.

Paff
01-11-2002, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Egg_Shen
The first half of The Stendhal Syndrome is pretty good, though I found the second part less inspired

I thought that too....the FIRST time I saw the movie

Then, after I knew the ending, it's surprising how well the two halves mesh together, and how the events of the first half directly influence the second half.

Pretty hard (if not impossible) to get a high quality uncut widescreen Four Flies. That's one that needs a DVD release pronto

skinnypuppy6
01-11-2002, 02:51 AM
to be honest if you dont have an all region player your shit out of luck cause all us dvds of those film suck donkey dick

Egg_Shen
01-11-2002, 03:28 AM
I don't know, I've only seen it the one time. I'll have to see it again one day I suppose. I got the Troma DVD, and man, it's not all that great.

Doombear
01-12-2002, 06:34 PM
Buy Phantom. I believe it's gone out of print in region 1, so get it while you can!

iluvdaria
01-12-2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by skinnypuppy6
to be honest if you dont have an all region player your shit out of luck cause all us dvds of those film suck donkey dick

"Four Flies" and "Trauma" have not yet had U.S. DVD releases and when and if they do I sure hope either Anchor Bay, VCI or Elite handle the chores!

iluvdaria
01-12-2002, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Doombear
Buy Phantom. I believe it's gone out of print in region 1, so get it while you can!

You can still get an all region DVD of "Phantom" from amazon.com but as of today, 1/12, they only have 3 in stock with more coming.

Trout
01-12-2002, 07:38 PM
I'd say go for 4 flies.

jscott
01-12-2002, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Trout
I'd say go for 4 flies.

Man, when I got my DVD player, I promised myself no more vhs bootlegs. Guess I'm gonna have to resort to that if I want Four Flies...

ParmagentoCheez
01-14-2002, 03:17 PM
i feel your pain. my old luminous vhs of 4 flies is terrible. this thing needs a goddamn dvd fucking pronto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

BlazingMagnum
01-16-2002, 08:36 PM
Quote:
AHA! Thank you for bringing up my 2nd question. Is there a domestic DVD or Laserdisc that offers this film uncut? I haven't seen one yet.

There was a shit quality booted tape circulated a couple of years ago. The movie has never been released officially in English language, because there's a huge issue with the distribution rights. My pals contacted Columbia to find out what was hapening with any future potential distribution for the movie - and they sent back a statement saying that they own thousands of movies, and they didn't even know where the prints were for Four Flies!

indiephantom
04-04-2005, 06:21 AM
Can't really go wrong with any of them...but I liked Phantom more than most. It's a twisted version of the story and Asia is always hot...

RyanPC
04-04-2005, 06:24 AM
Can't really go wrong with any of them...but I liked Phantom more than most. It's a twisted version of the story and Asia is always hot...

You do know that this thread is three years old? :lol:

Erick H.
04-04-2005, 06:48 AM
Apart from bootlegs or a Video Search of Miami type thing(they had a pretty weak composite print) ,I don't think you can get a disc of FLIES.Of your other choices,I'd probably go with SLEEPLESS(but DON'T get the full frame American disc,if you're multi region,get a widescreen one from abroad,the Italian title is NON HO SONNO).While I've never really cared for it,you can get PHANTOM here,but every U.S. dvd I've seen for it shimmered and had heavy edge enhancement.I think TRAUMA and STENDHAL are both a bit underated.TRAUMA gets a special edition release from Anchor Bay this summer,I can't say that I thought STENDHAL looked too hot on the Troma dvd,picture quality is better on the overseas discs.

Shokk
04-04-2005, 06:58 AM
Four Flies On Grey Velvet of those mentioned.Though none are on the high side of my Argento-meter.

jscott
04-04-2005, 06:08 PM
Wow, totally forget this thread existed. I did pickup Stendhal a while back, still waiting for the AB disc of Trauma, holding off on Sleepless (my region free player's having issues) and Phantom for a bit, but I'll get them eventually.

Semerrill
04-04-2005, 06:20 PM
four flies on grey velvet

indiephantom
04-04-2005, 07:16 PM
You do know that this thread is three years old? :lol:

hehe...a little secret about me and time travel is about to be revealed. ;)

Spitfire
04-04-2005, 10:29 PM
Trauma and Card Player are getting Special Edition releases from Anchor Bay this August. "Four Flies" is coming out from Blue Underground later on as well, so I'd wait for that one too. So I'd pick those three up then, but for now I'd say go for Sleepless (U.K. Version) :fire:

fceurich39
04-04-2005, 11:25 PM
trauma

Evil Dead Guy
04-04-2005, 11:34 PM
Four Flies on Grey Velvet, this is not even on DVD or is it.