PDA

View Full Version : Donations being accepted

Dave
05-01-2012, 09:35 PM
The future of the site has been in limbo for a while, at least in my mind. We continue to post reviews, occasional news, run contests, and the forum remains reasonably active. So the site is alive and still kicking. However, I have been paying out of pocket for about a year now for the cost of a dedicated server. I was okay doing this but with my wife now pregnant with twins, priorities shift and our desire (and need) for a house has just significantly increased. As I look to save more and more each month, the cost of running the site is one that is becoming harder and harder to justify. I also know that most sites are free, driven by ads, which is something I have always disliked. I do know I must look to put ads on the site for it to continue, I'm still looking to do a fundraiser for a number of things:

1) Bring the site modern on the software side. Update to the latest Vbulletin CMS, removal the portal we are currently on and port our reviews over to the new CMS.

2) Continue paying the hosting bill for the next few months while I search for advertisers.

Long term I want to see the site become more community driven. This is something I have always wanted. As we move forward I'll be looking for more suggestions from you guys on what you would like to see.

If we can manage to raise enough for fund items 1 and 2, I will commit to keeping the site going for at least another year. If we cannot or do not raise enough money and I cannot commit to keeping it going for another year, I will refund the donations received.

Thanks.

Those that want to donate can send to: donate@horrordigital.com

Note that the name attached is my wife's name as I shut off my paypal account years ago. Hers is used for ebay so I just am using it here.

Current donations: $465.95 (as of 5/15 7:31am ET)
Goal: $500

Workshed
05-01-2012, 09:47 PM
thanks, Dave. Sent an email hoping for an option other than paypal. Love this place.

Can you give us an idea of how much is needed to raise to keep this place going? that will better inform my donated amount.

rxfiend
05-01-2012, 10:01 PM
I'll send some $ next week when I get paid. I'd really hate to see the site go, as I've been viewing it for over a decade!

Do have a recommendation, when you say community based, have you thought about putting a section on the site that branches off to members' websites? A lot of us on here have various sites we run and I think it'd be neat to have a directory of sorts for people to see them. Most of us put links in our signatures, but a full listing in one section would be easier to navigate. Just a thought!

walkingdude
05-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Man I would hate to lose this site.I will throw some cash your way on pay day as well.

Dave
05-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Its about 400 to upgrade the site and pay a consultant to removal vbportal and port the reviews over. As for hosting costs it is about 100 a month. So ideally about 500 to 600 but I think the minimum needed in my mind is 400 to at least get the site modern and protected against attacks.

Hatchetwarrior
05-02-2012, 12:09 AM
I'll throw you guys some cash by next week. I've been visiting this site daily since 2005 and would hate to watch it fade off into the sunset.

Anthropophagus
05-02-2012, 12:23 AM
I fully understand about priorities shifting, ours is also upgrading to a bigger house in January and every penny counts these days.
Congratulations on the additions to your family, and if the website is to cease know that you've given us many hours of entertaining and stimulating discussion topics.
Hell, I don't think I would've known about the Roger Corman Collections and many other discs coming out if it weren't for this place.
Good luck. However, nothing can last forever especially as responsibilities change with age.

Dave
05-02-2012, 01:08 AM
Good luck. However, nothing can last forever especially as responsibilities change with age.

Thanks and I agree. I actually took a lot of time over the past few weeks to decide if I even want to continue running the site. The decision was that I do. I did not want to keep the site going just for nostalgia or simply because it's something that's been a small part of my life since 1999 that I hate to let go of. While I don't contribute as much as I would like to reviews and what not, that's not to say the site cannot continue to thrive with me kind of as a co-pilot of sorts. I truly hope I can make it more community oriented, more open, etc.

Mutilated Prey
05-02-2012, 01:21 AM
It's sounds like if the usuals all throw you $20-$25 each you should be good right? Sounds like a no brainer - I'm in.

Spit
05-02-2012, 01:41 AM
Since I've joined I've been through 5 majors, 4 moves, and 3 vehicles. This site is practically the only consistent thing in my life. I'll kick in but I don't do paypal.

Dave
05-02-2012, 01:48 AM
Anyone that wants to mail a payment just PM me and I'll send you an address.

dave13
05-02-2012, 01:58 AM
Thanks for all you're doing, Dave. I know I often just take it for granted that the site will be here, but it's kind of sobering to think that this represents a real expense on your part. Congratulations on the twins. Jeez, I almost feel like we should start an "expectant parents" thread on here.

othervoice1
05-02-2012, 02:05 AM
donation sent - hope this site can keep running for many years to come

Dave
05-02-2012, 02:14 AM
I added a tally at the bottom of the thread with current donations and what we are looking to raise.

Don't take anything as a threat of me shutting down the site. I would do everything to try and keep it going even if we don't get enough to upgrade the site and I would likely just continue to keep it chugging along with the software we have for as long as I can manage. My only point was, if we can raise enough to upgrade the site, I will commit to absolutely keeping it going for at least another year. I don't want people to donate and worry about the site disappearing in a few months. If we don't reach the goal then I would offer refunds to everyone that donated.

I don't expect everyone to donate. It's voluntarily, of course. Make your own decision if you can or not.

Mutilated Prey
05-02-2012, 02:35 AM
I don't expect everyone to donate. It's voluntarily, of course. Make your own decision if you can or not.

That's very nice, but I do expect all the regulars to kick in something. I don't wanna hear any bullshit. Everyone has money to buy DVD's, Blu's, posters, music, etc., so sacrifice one of them and give it to Dave. Every little bit helps even if it's only a couple of bucks. Donation sent.

Mutilated Prey
05-02-2012, 02:39 AM
Oh yeah, and I also suggest everyone sends their money as a "gift" to avoid fees.

dave13
05-02-2012, 04:21 AM
Everyone has money to buy DVD's, Blu's, posters, music, etc., so sacrifice one of them and give it to Dave. Every little bit helps even if it's only a couple of bucks.

I don't think anybody should feel pressured. No one should send money begrudgingly. But as far as my own decision to donate or not, this was my rationalization as well.

chancetx
05-02-2012, 06:34 AM
Just made a contribution. Thanks to Dave for all the hard work keeping the site going! I'd definitely miss this place if it went away.

Ash28M
05-02-2012, 01:44 PM
This has been my go to site for a decade. Donation sent.

maybrick
05-02-2012, 02:41 PM
I'll try to send some money in a month or two but at the moment I'm just trying to keep my head above water financially. I've been under a deluge of bills and other unexpected expenses since right after Christmas and it isn't going to let up for another month or so. As much as I want to donate, this couldn't come at a worse time and at the moment I need every cent I get. :(

Also, as I said in the other thread, I don't do Paypal.

bigdaddyhorse
05-02-2012, 06:58 PM
I love this site and will help keep it alive. I just need another week or 2 as I'm going through a financial re-arranging right now. Once I get this house paid off and see what's left I'll figure a good ammount to donate here.

msw7
05-02-2012, 07:27 PM
I'm happy to kick in, but I need to wait until my next paycheck.

I'd hate to see the site go, but I understand shifting priorities. And congratulations Dave on the upcoming twins and hopefully a new house!

I don't know if this is an easy question or not, but if you think you'd be forced to shut it down, would you consider transferring ownership to someone else instead to keep it going? I don't know how or if that would work, assuming that someone would be willing to take on the burden (and I am not volunteering in any way - I know I couldn't do it), but it may be a better option for some than losing the site completely.

Workshed
05-02-2012, 09:25 PM
PM sent asking for address to mail donation. Great to see all this support already.

spawningblue
05-03-2012, 03:25 AM
Like others I will send some next paycheque. Damn would hate to lose this site, one of only two forums that I actually follow, and this one more so then the other.

Darga
05-03-2012, 03:27 AM
Thanks for keeping the site going all these years, Dave. I just sent my donation through Paypal.

Zombie Dude
05-03-2012, 03:48 AM
I don't know if this is an easy question or not, but if you think you'd be forced to shut it down, would you consider transferring ownership to someone else instead to keep it going? I don't know how or if that would work, assuming that someone would be willing to take on the burden (and I am not volunteering in any way - I know I couldn't do it), but it may be a better option for some than losing the site completely.

I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully it could be an option if it comes to that.

I'll be sending some money too soon :)

shape22
05-03-2012, 04:01 AM
Donation sent Dave. Thanks for all you do to keep the site going. I've greatly enjoyed visiting here for a long time. It sounds like this is an exciting time for you and your wife. Congratulations on the upcoming arrivals.

Spit
05-03-2012, 07:53 AM
Stuck a check in the mail today. I'd never donated money to anything before, but I was glad to do it for this site. Thank you so much Dave for keeping the site up and running for as long as you have.

Spit
05-03-2012, 07:55 AM
^^^^ Ohh, SNAP! muh 1k post!

Katatonia
05-03-2012, 09:20 AM
Dave, I just sent a donation through on PayPal. I sent it as a "Gift" to hopefully sitestep any fees on your end. ;)

Hope it helps, I'd hate to see this site go away.

Just an idea... but I remember years ago when you were accepting hosting donations a special "icon" appeared in the user profiles of those who donated a certain amount. Maybe you could do something like that again as a special incentive for users to donate?

Stige
05-03-2012, 01:59 PM
I have only paid with paypal through ebay, where everything is pre filled out. How do I send an "gift" there?

Katatonia
05-03-2012, 02:03 PM
I have only paid with paypal through ebay, where everything is pre filled out. How do I send an "gift" there?

When you click on "Send Money" choose the "Personal" tab near the bottom and it should say This money is being sent as a:

Then just choose "Gift"

Stige
05-03-2012, 02:08 PM
ok great think I got it , but can't find giftPurpose of payment:Shared expenses Rental charges Payment owed Others

are my only options, which do I choose so Dave doesn't get charges for any expenses? and the email given here is the one i am suppoed to use?

Katatonia
05-03-2012, 02:25 PM
ok great think I got it , but can't find giftPurpose of payment:Shared expenses Rental charges Payment owed Others

are my only options, which do I choose so Dave doesn't get charges for any expenses? and the email given here is the one i am suppoed to use?

It doesn't show Gift? It might not be available as an option from international countries. I think if the account has no linked bank account, that could also be a reason.

I really don't know how the other options work as far as fees on Paypal go. "Other" may work, but it might be easier to just tack on an extra .50 cents or so to cover the fees on Dave's end.

Stige
05-03-2012, 02:28 PM
yeah there was a button that I could click to pay the fee on my end . Donation sent, best of luck to Dave, and thank you for the help Katatonia

Bluenoser
05-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Donation sent... happy to do it!

rhett
05-05-2012, 07:33 AM
You all rule, thanks for the donations so far. If we do get enough that upgrade will be suuh-weeet. Plus, I don't even know what I'd do with my Octobers if we didn't have an October Madness to work on...

foller
05-05-2012, 12:13 PM
I have enjoyed this site for many years and I would definitely miss it. That's why I have sent a donation, too.

Don't hesitate - donate !:)

Zombie Dude
05-07-2012, 10:20 AM
Ok, sent some money finally. Hope to keep the site alive seeing as it's one of my favorites and the main source of my dvd and blu knowledge. :)

spawningblue
05-11-2012, 03:13 AM
Just made a donation. Wish I could do more but with moving in June and a new baby in July money is a little tight. Hopefully I can donate some more in a few weeks though. Don't know what I would spend my time at work doing without this site haha

Zombie Dude
05-15-2012, 03:42 AM
I don't think the total of funds raised has been updated in a while. Have we made it to $400 yet?

Dave
05-15-2012, 04:19 AM
I don't think the total of funds raised has been updated in a while. Have we made it to $400 yet?

Updated. And yes, we are over $400!

Workshed
05-15-2012, 04:21 AM
my check's "in the mail" (no really, it is!).

Zombie Dude
05-15-2012, 04:39 AM

That's awesome! Congrats :)

othervoice1
05-15-2012, 05:16 AM
Great job everyone- we aren't quite there yet so hopefully some more will continue to trickle in this month <:

Hatchetwarrior
05-15-2012, 05:44 AM
Made my donation a few days back. Once pay day rolls around again next week I'll toss some more to you guys. Let's hit that 500 mark people!!!

highclassrob
05-15-2012, 07:05 AM
Just made a donation. I can chip in a little more in 2 weeks if we haven't reached the goal by then.

Katatonia
05-15-2012, 09:11 AM

That's good news.

How long has the Paid Subscriptions been an option on here? I don't remember that from before. :eek2:

Workshed
05-15-2012, 09:37 AM
That's good news.

How long has the Paid Subscriptions been an option on here? I don't remember that from before. :eek2:

where do you see this option?

Katatonia
05-15-2012, 09:45 AM
where do you see this option?

Under your User CP (http://horrordvds.com/vb3forum/usercp.php). I sent Dave a PM about it last week, but never got a reply.

Dave
05-15-2012, 01:31 PM
The paid subscriptions thing never really worked out. We had a separate forum for people that paid. The problem was, at the time, it was like 10 people. There was really no point for a private forum that only 10 people were using. I think there were a few other perks - more PM space and a few other things.

I think eventually when we do the upgrade and overhaul the site, one possible implementation might be that all users have to subscribe. However, we would make it something really cheap, like $5.00/year. That would help fund the cost of running the site. The concern there is that I'm sure many people still choose not to subscribe and we would lose some people.

baggio
05-15-2012, 03:54 PM
Maybe that "Paid Subscriptions" link should be removed to avoid confusion.

Also, Dave are you going to send a PM or something to confirm payment was received/acknowledged to each of the people that donated? I made the dumb mistake of sending a donation thru paypal without providing my member user name. I sent a PM to you regarding my mistake, and never heard back.

Not that you have to do this but I think last time there was some sort of icon/symbol under forum members avatars that meant you were a donor. Maybe instead this time have some icon/symbol on members profile page.

highclassrob
05-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Maybe that "Paid Subscriptions" link should be removed to avoid confusion.

Also, Dave are you going to send a PM or something to confirm payment was received/acknowledged to each of the people that donated? I made the dumb mistake of sending a donation thru paypal without providing my member user name. I sent a PM to you regarding my mistake, and never heard back.

Not that you have to do this but I think last time there was some sort of icon/symbol under forum members avatars that meant you were a donor. Maybe instead this time have some icon/symbol on members profile page.

I forgot to put my username on my donation as well. oops.

Workshed
05-15-2012, 10:14 PM
Under your User CP (http://horrordvds.com/vb3forum/usercp.php). I sent Dave a PM about it last week, but never got a reply.

Oh yeah! I remember when we did that, and then there was a Members Only forum that was barely active (altho it did seem like new posters could access it just fine, ha ha).

Anyway, $5 a year? Ha. No problem.

Dave
05-16-2012, 01:31 AM
Let me get the upgrade down. At that point we will work on getting subscriptions in place. Of course anyone that donated will get that put toward their subscription. There would like be a tier system in place, so if you donate X amount you get 1 year, and then Y amount gets you 2 years, etc etc.

Dobby
05-16-2012, 02:39 AM
Let me get the upgrade down. At that point we will work on getting subscriptions in place. Of course anyone that donated will get that put toward their subscription. There would like be a tier system in place, so if you donate X amount you get 1 year, and then Y amount gets you 2 years, etc etc.

We should be over the $500 as of now. I sent you money from my pay pal account. When you get a chance Dave please confirm with me you got the funds. I sent it as a gift so you should receive the money in full. I left you a note in the transaction details letting you I'm Dobby on here. So anyway hopefully now we can get the ball rolling. For those of you who plan on donating please do so every penny counts. :glasses:

dave13
05-16-2012, 04:19 AM
all this shit just makes me warm and fuzzy inside.

Rocker416
05-21-2012, 12:29 AM
Just got my donation made! How close are we?

nateynate87
05-21-2012, 03:53 AM
Will be sending my donation in tomorrow when I get paid.

Don't post here much but read a lot.

This site has the most knowledgable horror/movie fans and nicest members around, would hate to see that go.

Question, if you have a PayPal account that's linked to a bank account, will it automatically send money from the bank account even if the actual PayPal account is empty? Or do I first have to transfer funds?

Katatonia
05-21-2012, 09:26 AM
Question, if you have a PayPal account that's linked to a bank account, will it automatically send money from the bank account even if the actual PayPal account is empty? Or do I first have to transfer funds?

Yeah, if you have a linked bank account and your PayPal account currently has no funds in it, it'll just cover the transaction amount directly from your banking account.

nateynate87
05-21-2012, 06:08 PM
Yeah, if you have a linked bank account and your PayPal account currently has no funds in it, it'll just cover the transaction amount directly from your banking account.

Cool, thanks Katatonia

Dave
05-21-2012, 08:10 PM
Guys I will update total tonight we are over 500 at this point.

Mutilated Prey
05-21-2012, 08:25 PM
woot woot!

Dobby
05-21-2012, 11:09 PM
woot woot!

Just envisioned you in a cheerleader outfit. I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. :cry:

spawningblue
05-28-2012, 11:58 PM
I'm fine with $5 a year or whatever.

That being said I wander how many new users we will get. I don't know if I would pay money for a site to test it out. Maybe you could let new users have a free pass for three months or something and then if they want to stick around make them pay the $5.

As we've seen before long time members sometimes just disappear to never be seen again, so this site needs new members to survive.

maybrick
05-29-2012, 12:12 AM
I'm fine with $5 a year or whatever.

That being said I wander how many new users we will get. I don't know if I would pay money for a site to test it out. Maybe you could let new users have a free pass for three months or something and then if they want to stick around make them pay the $5.

As we've seen before long time members sometimes just disappear to never be seen again, so this site needs new members to survive.

It's pretty easy to project what would happen. All of the long term members would pay the $5, everybody else would bail, we'd get no new members, and then after a year's time we'd lose even more of us because there would no longer be enough action happening to justify paying another $5. Paying for membership would effectively be the death knell for the site. There's just simply far too many free horror message boards out there to compete with. Donations are really the only way to go if horrordigital is to last.

Midnight Buddha
05-29-2012, 12:40 AM
I keep getting an error when i try to donate ? I`ll throw some $ your way no problem, i did last time the site was in trouble a few years back. I visit this site several times a day for info and updates. Best around ! :)

dave13
05-29-2012, 03:38 AM
It's pretty easy to project what would happen. All of the long term members would pay the $5, everybody else would bail, we'd get no new members, and then after a year's time we'd lose even more of us because there would no longer be enough action happening to justify paying another $5. Paying for membership would effectively be the death knell for the site. There's just simply far too many free horror message boards out there to compete with. Donations are really the only way to go if horrordigital is to last.

yeah, that pretty much sounds accurate. i can't see memberships working, but i'm fine donating. however, i'm not terribly enthusiastic about icons or whatever to identify those who donate. i don't like the idea of having different "classes" of members.

Dobby
05-30-2012, 01:23 AM
If you did not contribute I don't understand the verbal input. That's like a homeless bum on the street demanding $1. As for regarding Dave's discussion on how he want's to upgrade the forum. I personally would welcome a cool little icon that says donated or paid subscription. Just my 2 cents!

Mutilated Prey
05-30-2012, 01:43 AM
If you did not contribute I don't understand the verbal input. That's like a homeless bum on the street demanding $1. As for regarding Dave's discussion on how he want's to upgrade the forum. I personally would welcome a cool little icon that says donated or paid subscription. Just my 2 cents!

I'd be down with that - like a little support our troops - type ribbon next to their name kinda like the IM icons..,
http://greenwaylandscapenursery.com/img/soldier-ribbon.png

Then we can harass the members that decided to spend it on porn instead ;)

maybrick
05-30-2012, 01:48 AM
If you did not contribute I don't understand the verbal input.

Just because I have yet to commit any money doesn't make my words any less relevant or true. (Excuse me if I have higher priorities now that my wife is out of work.) No matter how much paid subscription sound like it could be the answer, it REALLY isn't. An extremely small minority of people is willing to pay for anything online, and I know this from experience. Our horror host show was the number one download on Peg Media for several months and at one point it was being downloaded by about 30 public access stations nationwide until the site's owner was forced to make it a pay site. He tried to keep the price extremely reasonable ($1 for a 2hr show, less than the cost of a dvd being mailed out.) How many people do you think went for it? Not very many. We were lucky to have 5 loyal stations after that. These station managers claimed to love our show, but there supposedly wasn't enough money in the station's budget. What? They couldn't afford the buck out of their own personal pocket? I mean, if they "really" loved it as they said they did. Pretty ridiculous, I know. But it's true nonetheless. If horror digital decides to become a pay site then we may as well up and call it quits. Unless Dave starts producing some serious porn for the site, this idea is DOA.

dave13
05-30-2012, 03:27 AM

i know you're joking, but i can kinda see that happening. like i said, two classes of member...i dunno...i'm not sold on the idea.

Mutilated Prey
05-30-2012, 03:58 AM
I am joking, yes, but it may also inspire some folks to contribute once they see how many of us others have. Yeah, there may be some jabs here and there, but overall I can't see it being that big of a deal. If someone goes over the top then I'm sure it will not be a shock to most of us who already know that members persona.

spawningblue
05-30-2012, 05:11 AM

Oh I totally agree with you. I think paid subscriptions are a bad idea, I was just mentioning that scenario as it seems like Dave is going with paid subscriptions either way.

I think eventually when we do the upgrade and overhaul the site, one possible implementation might be that all users have to subscribe. However, we would make it something really cheap, like $5.00/year. That would help fund the cost of running the site.

I was just mentioning a scenario that may attract some new members if a paid subscription is put in place. You are right though, I think once it hits the subscription route, whether we like or not it will be the beginning of the end.

Workshed
05-30-2012, 08:17 PM
We've already had a "donation icon" next to user names, I believe, and it did not start a class war. If you contribute, you're keeping the site afloat. I don't see any problem w/ that being recognized.

Katatonia
05-30-2012, 08:51 PM
We've already had a "donation icon" next to user names, I believe, and it did not start a class war. If you contribute, you're keeping the site afloat. I don't see any problem w/ that being recognized.

Yeah, the donation icon was around years ago temporarily. I remember it being a tiny gold icon/trophy of some kind. A lot of forums have badges and icons, some even have user ratings for individual posts. I wouldn't see a single donation icon as any real problem here.

Mutilated Prey
05-30-2012, 10:15 PM
Maybe have different stages of the boner to equate with how much you donated. Limp for the cheap bastards/nothing donated, quarter erect for $5, half erect for $10, three quarters erect for $25, Full Boner for $50 and anything above that it's blowing a load. I bet the gay doods around here would like that. Thpppppppppttttt!!!!!!! :lol: :sperm:

No, but seriously a ribbon or trophy should be done - pretty cool.

Dobby
05-31-2012, 01:39 AM
Maybe have different stages of the boner to equate with how much you donated. Limp for the cheap bastards/nothing donated, quarter erect for $5, half erect for $10, three quarters erect for $25, Full Boner for $50 and anything above that it's blowing a load. I bet the gay doods around here would like that. Thpppppppppttttt!!!!!!! :lol: :sperm:

No, but seriously a ribbon or trophy should be done - pretty cool.

I don't want no boner blowing a load icon on my ID. I'd be fine with a yellow or pink ribbon or something along those lines. The folks that didn't donate should get a limp dick icon though. :D

Dave
06-12-2012, 12:57 AM
Just to update everyone:

1) We reached goal. Slightly exceeded it, which is good because the cost will be slightly more than I anticipated. Anyone wanting to still donate - it will go to the site and it will help. At some point I will put a donation system into place on the main site.

2) I have been in touch with the author of the vbportal. He will help port the site over to the new Vbulletin CMS system, which is what we will start using. He will likely do it in the live environment which means we will have a day of downtime and probably some glitches here and there as we work on bringing the classic color scheme back to the site. I plan to have a local copy of the site running on my computer, along with tons of upgrades, so we can always revert back if needed. The reason doing it in a live environment? Quicker. I am paying him on a consulting basis so I need to keep the time (cost) in check. I will have backups and it would only take me (without any help) a few hours to get the site back to the way it was.

I'm on vacation next week and at that point I will build a local copy of the site on my computer for backup purposes. After that, I will schedule the time with him and give everyone a week or two notice. It's looking like mid-July will be the time frame.

Thanks again for all the help. I'm very excited about bringing the site more modern. The MySQL database we went went to with the portal is going to make this process much smoother than the last major change to the site. Think about logging in with facebook, 'liking' our reviews (and having that like show on your facebook page if you choose - to help get more traffic here), mobile version of the site, and so much more. Very cool stuff.

Once the site is updated on the portal side, I can start upgrading the server software and look into getting a better server.

I hear what everyone says about the membership and I agree there is yet to be a successful small site running by mandatory membership. We will look into ads first, or perhaps a combination of ads and donations. I hate ads so don't expecting popups or anything overly intrusive.

othervoice1
06-12-2012, 01:21 AM
All sounds great! Also another idea some may be okay with or hate- some sites give free access with ads - and with a membership they get "ads" free access. Not sure how easy or hard that is to do - but just a thought. Thanks for all your work on this <:

rxfiend
06-12-2012, 03:23 AM
Ads aren't that bad. Hell it'd be really nice if they are ads that are horror related (DVD companies / merchandise, etc...).

Zombie Dude
06-12-2012, 03:23 AM
This sounds awesome. I can't wait for the transition :)

Workshed
06-12-2012, 05:49 PM
right on, dave--thank you

spawningblue
06-14-2012, 01:58 AM
Ads aren't that bad. Hell it'd be really nice if they are ads that are horror related (DVD companies / merchandise, etc...).

I agree, ads aren't the end of the world, although I hate the ones that pop up and have to be closed before I can continue on. Throw a couple on the sides and call it a day, like rx said, preferably horror related.

Zombie Dude
06-14-2012, 02:58 AM
I agree, ads aren't the end of the world, although I hate the ones that pop up and have to be closed before I can continue on. Throw a couple on the sides and call it a day, like rx said, preferably horror related.

Agree. Pop-ups RUIN the internet. I hate those things. I can deal with adds on the page, around what I'm doing.

Zombie Dude
06-14-2012, 03:05 AM

Agree. Pop-ups RUIN the internet. I hate those things. I can deal with adds on the page, around what I'm doing.

startide
06-14-2012, 06:49 AM
Dave, I know affiliate links are a bit old now, but is there a reason you don't have them? It always seemed odd to me you didn't, at the very least, have that.

dave13
06-15-2012, 11:26 PM

i know you're joking, but i can kinda see that happening. like i said, two classes of member...i dunno...i'm not sold on the idea.

:rolleyes: told ya so... ---->

Contributing comments from a 5 post count member ahem? :rolleyes:

OK well as far as contributing goes we have a donation thread. I gave a contributing donation to keep this forum alive for your info. Your more then welcome to make a donation sense you speak so highly of contributions.

http://horrordigital.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=43582&highlight=donations <----- click here to donate Chikan :D

Dobby
06-15-2012, 11:39 PM
:rolleyes: told ya so... ---->

That 5 post count troll brought that on themselves. I don't take kindly to assholes (low post count) making dippy comments. If your going to make insults at me about contributing I will link you to this post. Shit or get off the pot as I always say.

Dave13 we have been friends on here for quite some time. Next time your quote me in a different alternate thread at least let me know. I don't care if you did not make a donation it is not open season on your ass.

There is a fine line between long time members versus 5 post count members. I don't care if you did not make a donation (long time members). However If your a low post count and you make snarky comments I will direct your ass right here.

dave13
06-16-2012, 12:01 AM
That 5 post count troll brought that on themselves. I don't take kindly to assholes (low post count) making dippy comments. If your going to make insults at me about contributing I will link you to this post. Shit or get off the pot as I always say.

Dave13 we have been friends on here for quite some time. Next time your quote me in a different alternate thread at least let me know. I don't care if you did not make a donation it is not open season on your ass.

There is a fine line between long time members versus 5 post count members. I don't care if you did not make a donation (long time members). However If your a low post count and you make snarky comments I will direct your ass right here.

sorry Dobs. we're buds, no doubt. it wasn't meant to be a personal dig at you. i know he made a snarky comment first, and you shot back. fair enough. that said, i still don't think it was 100% cool to throw the whole donation thing in his face. its not a very good way to encourage those who are just starting to post (or those who just post very infrequently) to be active in the boards. there are a lot of those infrequent posters, and a lot of them have been here much longer than you or i. just my two cents, though.

edit: oh, and i'm sorry if it seemed like a lousy thing quoting you in a different thread. perhaps that wasn't 100% cool either.

KGBRadioMoskow
06-16-2012, 12:36 AM

While Dave13's post was a little snarky (IMO by no means over any reasonable line, however), I see absolutely nothing wrong with cross thread quotes if the quotation is relevant.

We should be willing to stand by what we say in any public forum, that our viewpoints are do not waver merely because the thread of conversation does. And on that basis we should have no problem accepting that by making such statements they can be referenced at the very least as an example in any related conversation in that forum.

In this particular case your statement was a (borderline) example of something that others in this thread had hypothetically expressed as a concern. As such it was a valid reference to be made.

Dobby
06-16-2012, 12:48 AM
sorry Dobs. we're buds, no doubt. it wasn't meant to be a personal dig at you. i know he made a snarky comment first, and you shot back. fair enough. that said, i still don't think it was 100% cool to throw the whole donation thing in his face. its not a very good way to encourage those who are just starting to post (or those who just post very infrequently) to be active in the boards. there are a lot of those infrequent posters, and a lot of them have been here much longer than you or i. just my two cents, though.

They threw the words contribute at me so I threw the contributing donation thread right in their face. They been on here sense 2006 and they have contributed all but 5 posts. If they were to have stuck around and contributed as they say. They would have been more active in the forum and contributing. I only make an exception when I have known the person for quite some time. They stepped on my tows I kicked them in the balls. Snarky comment or not they started it I finished it. They threw the words contribute at me now they can contribute to the board or zip it.

oh, and i'm sorry if it seemed like a lousy thing quoting you in a different thread. perhaps that wasn't 100% cool either.

Yeah shit happens no worries not angry just annoyed. It is what it is neither one of us can change the past. Unless if we hit the delete button or something. :rolleyes:

While Dave13's post was a little snarky

Dave never made a snarky comment at me someone else did.

msw7
07-08-2012, 09:45 AM
I'm just catching up with this thread again.

While I did donate, I would of course prefer for this site to remain free. I agree (with I think everyone) that memberships, even cheap ones, will be a death knell.

Ads can be tricky too though (and if you do, I guess you can't also encourage people to use adblock :)

I've stopped going to some forums that included ads inside posts - it was just too obnoxious. Pop-ups or unders or ads that slide across the screen or auto-expand and then auto-resize and move the text around on the screen also drive me crazy.

A small bar off to the side that loads fast (after the content - I hate waiting for ad servers to read a page I want to read) wouldn't be too bad, I suppose.

I actually kind of like the Snorg Tees ads - I don't click them but the models are cute :)

Ok, enough bitching about ads before anything even happens.

I'm glad the site will be upgraded at least, and Dave can get new hardware for it!