PDA

View Full Version : Best Water Creature Feature

rhett
06-03-2012, 11:05 PM
Sharks, Orcas, Octopi, Piranha and Creatures, there's a lot of scary shit out there in the water when it comes to horror films. In honor of PIRANHA 3DD in theaters this weekend, pick your favorite water creature feature from the list above. Have a different favorite? Tell us about it below.

Anyone ever see Killer Fish from 1979? Sounds pretty cool.

fceurich39
06-03-2012, 11:16 PM
i voted Alligator 1980 even though it's pretty much a tie with Jaws

Copyboy
06-04-2012, 12:52 AM
Absolutely Jaws with Jaws 2 right behind but I have always loved DeepStar Six and am still holding out for a proper release of this. Caught The Reef last summer and it totally kept me on the edge of my seat through the whole thing. Oh, and the full version of the TV miniseries The Beast I thought was actually better than Peter Benchley's book!

satans-sadists
06-04-2012, 01:42 AM
Plenty of entertaining features to pick from, but Jaws is in a class by itself.

Undeadcow
06-04-2012, 02:01 AM
Voted Creature From the Black Lagoon, underwater harpoon chase fu. Jaws is a good movie but hardly a captivating "creature."

Dagon deserves at least a passing mention.

maybrick
06-04-2012, 02:54 AM
Creature From the Black Lagoon without a shadow of a doubt. Jaws is a great movie, but Bruce is still only a big shark.

othervoice1
06-04-2012, 03:22 AM
I really like Creature from the Black Lagoon as well as Alligator and the old and new Piranha - I also enjoy several others on the list - but I cannot vote against Jaws with a straight face.

Mutilated Prey
06-04-2012, 03:59 AM
Jaws wins, but I love Humanoids and Alligator too. No Up from the Depths?

Erick H.
06-04-2012, 05:50 AM

I saw that film on network TV as a kid,it was retitled DEADLY TREASURE OF THE PIRANHA or something like that . Italian produced pic,kinda cheesy fun as I recall.It played at The Carolina Theater's Retrofantasma Festival several years ago.

I voted for JAWS in the poll by the way,one of my favorites.Shaw's "Indianapolis'' speech is outstanding.Lots of fun films in this list though !

ronnie21
06-04-2012, 06:14 AM
i saw alligator on tv in 1982 when it made its tv debut. i was only 9 loved it.. remmeber the tv. spots for it in late 80.

rhett
06-04-2012, 08:07 PM
For those that haven't yet voted for THE HORROR AT PARTY BEACH, I present you with the zombie stomp. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVd0Ziks3NA)

Anthropophagus
06-04-2012, 08:15 PM
I vote for Humanoids From The Deep, pretty much everything you could want from a B-movie. I also love Orca though, that's a vastly underrated film-beautiful in so many ways.

russweiss
06-04-2012, 10:42 PM
My vote went to Jaws but Creature From the Black Lagoon comes in a close second.

Christ75
06-04-2012, 10:47 PM
Jaws came first to mind but i vote for Leviathan, a great b-movie that i love.

I saw DeepStar Six two weeks ago (first time in 15-20 years) and it was so bad, so boring ...

Hellbilly
06-04-2012, 11:50 PM
No Bog? ;)

Hard to beat Jaws, got my vote.

fattyjoe37
06-05-2012, 12:02 AM
I love water creature features, but Jaws will always be the best.

startide
06-05-2012, 01:40 AM
Well Jaws is the best of those I've seen, but I voted for Alligator. I had hours of fun with that movie as a kid!! If you want to introduce kids to horror films, creature features are the best way to do it.

Darga
06-05-2012, 02:10 AM
If you took Jaws off that list I would sit here for hours trying to pick from one of the many other favorites on there. Jaws gets my vote though for all the psychological damage it did to me as an 8-year old. I still get scared swimming in ponds sometimes. Hell, when I was a kid I was afraid of invisible sharks in pools. Thank god I finally got over that one.

cjg
06-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Horror Of Party Beach The best by far

Darga
06-06-2012, 01:16 AM

No I haven't seen it, but after seeing the cast listing (Lee Majors, Karen Black, and Margaux Hemingway) I must admit I'm quite curious.

X-human
06-06-2012, 01:36 AM
For those that haven't yet voted for THE HORROR AT PARTY BEACH, I present you with the zombie stomp. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVd0Ziks3NA)

I'll raise you The Sting Of Death's 'Do The Jelly Fish,' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzadUo474Lo

Cooperkill
06-06-2012, 10:55 PM
Humanoids from the Deep. Jaws has the drama, Humanoids has the sleazy fun.

JGrendel
06-07-2012, 12:11 AM
Had to vote for Jaws but I own or have seen a lot of the others and enjoyed them for what they are.

Anthropophagus
06-07-2012, 01:36 AM
Humanoids from the Deep. Jaws has the drama, Humanoids has the sleazy fun.

I agree, love that film.

nightmare5fan
06-07-2012, 09:44 AM
What?!?! No Creature from the Haunted Sea??? Must go with Black Lagoon, then...

dickieduvet
06-07-2012, 10:27 PM
Not only is Jaws the best Film on this list but it's also quite possibly the best Film in the history of Cinema :banana:

DVD-fanatic-9
06-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Even though I absolutely HATE Jaws, I'm not insane- I know it's a good movie.

But I'm still voting for Joe Dante's Piranha. I consider it an absolute masterpiece and, in tone, it's much darker, creepier, and more mysterious than Spielberg's quite boring movie. I mean... let's compare: you have kids in both movies but which movie's portrayal of kids is really better? Which kid(s) has/have their own character arc? The little girl in Piranha (Suzie?). She has a fear that motivates her to both stay out of the water while looking at it distrustfully and get other characters to talk (at some length) about the alleged safety of the water which has bearing on the later scene when all the other kids are placed in (unwitting) danger. She has to face that fear to save other people's lives - which she does, and she is kept in the story at the end to show another meaningful reaction as everyone looks over the horror of what they've been a part of. (Nice way of saying they were put in harm's way by the Evil Military/Military...Intelligence? Can I call Barbara Steele's character and the Colonel that?) She is just a kid but she is such an important element in why the movie works. She gives it heart, guts, and soul.

And the other characters in general I find more likable and interesting. I look for little things, sometimes, or I just appreciate the way lower budgeted movies do character business in such an unpretentious way. You don't even have to be told that Jaws will engage in these endless, overlong piles of scenes that stretch out character thisthatandtheother just to give the actors something to have fun with. The movie withholds character ttato (shorter way of saying thisthatandtheother - sorry, I should have said "stuff") you could be given in one scene which sorta just pads the running time (and, of course, changes the movie into Charater Study or whatever, rather than Plot Study, or whatever- I think you know what I mean). When Heather Menzies shows up, you know you're going to have fun with her. And the movie isn't going to make you wait for it. She's quirky, direct, and she MOVES the story along. The movie doesn't resort to a lot of tech stuff or pacing to give the movie a thrust, the characters do it. In Jaws... you're meant to stop waiting for the plot to go, you're meant to pull up a chair and watch the characters. For a long time. Like you've been invited to view a private discussion between "interesting" people. How rewarding... if you're not there to watch a horror movie.

Just one area, really, where I find Dante's movie superior to Spielberg's.

Marshall Crist
06-10-2012, 09:51 PM
From that list, I chose CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON, although I hovered over HUMANOIDS FROM THE DEEP for a long time. Gotta say I love REVENGE OF THE CREATURE and CREATURE WALKS AMONG US as much as the original.

horror addict
06-17-2012, 11:38 PM
While the incredibly super obvious choice here is Jaws, I'll give my vote to the underrated Deep Rising. Everyone will vote for Jaws anyway.

msw7
06-18-2012, 04:40 AM
I went with Deep Rising - I love that movie, and particularly the ending. I wish they'd make a sequel.

The Host and Jaws are close seconds though.

Zillamon51
06-22-2012, 02:48 PM
I voted for The Host. You can read why here:

http://www.digitalmonsterisland.com/host_ce.html

Of course, Creature From the Black Lagoon and Jaws are awesome classics. I also have a lot of love for Alligator and the original Pirahna. I enjoyed Deep Rising, and Mega Pirahna is downright hilarious. I saw both Leviathan and Deepstar Six many years ago. I didn't much care for them at the time, but I would like to see them again. Open Water is overrated crap.

Fumi
06-23-2012, 11:24 PM
> Leviathan's always had a special appeal for me. Though Deep Blue Sea, Deep Rising and Lake Placid are favorites as well.

Crystal Plumage
06-29-2012, 09:25 PM
Haven't seen many of these, but I vote Dagon :)

Vortex
07-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Sphere. The giant squid attack in that film is terrifying, even more so because it's unseen.

The Host is the most overrated.

Anthropophagus
07-06-2012, 09:04 PM
Island of the Fishmen was pretty awful for me, does anyone actually like that one?

Mikey Horror
07-07-2012, 07:08 AM
I had to go with Jaws. It was impossible not to mainly because it's one of the films that helped nurture my love for the genre, but Creature from the Black Lagoon and Humanoids from the Deep would have to be tied for a very close second.