PDA

View Full Version : What is 6.1 dts/or dolby digital surround??

Paff
01-30-2001, 06:16 PM
6.1 adds, you guessed it, a CENTER surround channel!

I can see the point of a center main speaker, since it handles dialogue. But a center surround, while I'm sure it's very nice, seems like a bit of overkill, especially since surround itself is best when used as a subtle effect.

Yes, it's the way of the future, and I'm sure I'll buy it someday, but don't hover around my trash can waiting for me to toss my 5.1 decoder and receiver, 'cause it ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

hojimoji
01-30-2001, 09:32 PM
The main reason to have 6.1 is with movies like se7en, which feature serious surround action, even in a subtle way. The rain is allowed to be more discrete with 6.1, and the helicopter at the end pans a little better. All in all not worth the $'s, but if you've got it anyway might as well enjoy it.

And so this doesn't start a flame war, no I'm not saying DTS is better than DD. I'm just relating the possible merits of 6 channels.

G.

mutleyhyde
01-30-2001, 10:49 PM
Hopefully, they're just gearing up for Star Wars releases! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

Paff
01-30-2001, 11:23 PM
That I would bet on. The Phantom Menace Japanese laserdisc is already Dolby Digital 6.1, so I see no reason that if and when a DVD comes out, it will be 6.1 as well (though by the time Lucas gets around to it, the standard will probably be more like 9.1 or something).

The original trilogy will most likely be 6.1 if and when, but the big problem is that it will definitely not be the original versions, but the special editions. God forbid Lucas to use seamless branching to at least give the viewer a choice...

mutleyhyde
01-31-2001, 12:49 AM
I gotta go out and get those LDs! I seriously hope the guy is yankin' our chains about not releasing the originals, but he's probably not. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/frown.gif

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

gunner
01-31-2001, 05:04 AM
I already know that 5.1 surround refers to L,R,C,rL,rR,and subwoofer channels.Now my copy of Se7en has 6.1 dts sound and I also noticed that the Anchor Bay release of Maniac will have 6.1 dolby digital surround.Is my system already dated?Is there now systems with an extra channel out there?I was just curious,I havn't been keeping up with all the audio/videophile stuff lately.Please help.