PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite Amityville Horror film? (UPDATED)

rhett
08-08-2012, 07:11 PM
The last time we checked up on this storied franchise in poll format, the remake was just coming out (prepare to feel old in 5...4...3...2...1...SEVEN years ago, link here (http://horrordigital.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=24298)). This year also saw the release of a new found footage sequel THE AMITYVILLE HAUNTING. Also, later this year the Lutz documentary, MY AMITYVILLE HORROR, is slated to be released. With those developments let us look back on the franchise once more to see how it all shakes out in 2012.

Also, there's a thread on sequel discussion currently active here (http://horrordigital.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?threadid=40392).

CPT HOOK
08-08-2012, 07:16 PM
The Possession by far!

It's the only good one, to be honest.

Anthropophagus
08-08-2012, 07:17 PM
Amityville II: The Possession is the most effective.

Mutilated Prey
08-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Two is best! Then part 1, then 3, and as for the others I've only made it through Doll house which definitely is not as good as the first three, although not terrible. Sounds like It's About Time might give part 3 a run for it's money, but I doubt it.

Edit - I take that back, I have seen It's About Time. It's seemingly better than the other late sequels, but not as good as Parts 1-3 imo. Fun to watch, but cheezy and poop acting.

Chomp
08-08-2012, 08:08 PM
The incestuous themes in the second one creep me the fuck out. First time I watched it, I felt like I needed to take a shower.

Ash28M
08-08-2012, 08:15 PM
I want to say 2 because of how underrated it is but I think the first is still my Fav.

ronnie21
08-08-2012, 09:49 PM
the one with sonny in it..

rxfiend
08-09-2012, 12:42 AM
Is Amityville Haunting really a part of the series? I thought it was just another Asylum rip off.

Myron Breck
08-09-2012, 01:21 AM
The second one, of course. All of them are at least fun in one way or another...except for CURSE which is basically unwatchable.

fceurich39
08-09-2012, 01:43 AM
Is Amityville Haunting really a part of the series? I thought it was just another Asylum rip off.

that one isnt even part of the series

for me the original film i enjoyed the most but part 2 is a very close 2nd which is really a prequel!

startide
08-09-2012, 01:51 AM
Amityville II: The Possession is the most effective.

Agreed. But it's really hard getting past the incest thing, which is truly disgusting. So it's a wash, incredibly creepy all round. If you could remove the incest bits you'd have a much better movie. I tried watching it in the dark early in the 90s (my Dad was still alive, so over 20 years ago!) and it scared the bejesus out of me!

I really liked 3 also, lovely score. Takes me back, it was a good time. Friday night late horror films. Not that I stayed up and watched them, try as I might. I had to go to school eventually.

Hatchetwarrior
08-09-2012, 04:12 AM
The Possession for me, although I'm not that big of a fan of that film or the series as a whole in general.

Ash28M
08-09-2012, 04:38 AM
Agreed. But it's really hard getting past the incest thing, which is truly disgusting.

That's what is great about the film, the sleaze factor. Incest and Burt Young, that's a combo package you can't pass up.

Anthropophagus
08-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Well, any reason to see Diane Franklin's tits is good enough for me. It IS a movie and mostly fictionalized, even though a relationship between Butch Defeo and his sister Dawn has been suggested over the years.
One of the truly memorable haunted house/possession films, scared the heck out of me as a kid.

Gore Lunatic
08-09-2012, 12:36 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FDaluvN37hQ/TaRt4aZH5EI/AAAAAAAACF8/KrPM9pyS_pA/s1600/amityville-2-1982-10.jpg

evildeadfan123
08-09-2012, 02:54 PM
Voted for Amityville Horror, Part 2 would be 2nd. The rest are okay. The first 3 I have together in a box set, and I have at least one or two of the others on DVD.

Anthropophagus
08-09-2012, 07:27 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FDaluvN37hQ/TaRt4aZH5EI/AAAAAAAACF8/KrPM9pyS_pA/s1600/amityville-2-1982-10.jpg

Crop out Sonny and you have a near perfect picture there.

satans-sadists
08-10-2012, 06:14 AM
The first film is my favorite, flaws and all. Amityville II is great trash horror with a drunk Burt Young. Amityville 3-D is pretty boring. Have not seen the other films.

ThisEvilBastard
08-10-2012, 05:30 PM
I only seen the first three a good 7 or 8 years ago and only liked the first Two and hated the Thrid

Anthropophagus
08-10-2012, 06:28 PM
I only seen the first three a good 7 or 8 years ago and only liked the first Two and hated the Thrid

The third sucked, I sold it off from my Amityville box set. Horrible film in every regard.

rhett
08-13-2012, 01:51 AM
Who voted for the third film? EXPLAIN YOURSELF!!!!!!

DVD-fanatic-9
08-13-2012, 05:06 AM
The first film is aesthetically pretty creepy and effective but you can keep the story and acting.

I watched the 2nd film up to the incest stuff and turned it off. In fairness, that likely could have been the fact that it was a Goodtimes VHS... those things are junk. They don't work for shit. Even brand new, you're lucky to get one good viewing out of those. But I actually grew up in an abusive household with drunken parents who beat me so, I think a level of realism is important in 'serious' movies about this subject and... I seem to remember this movie being a joke in that department. Burt Young had no sense of nuance and no charming side. Abusive parents don't seem completely volcanic and out of control all the time. That's what makes them dangerous. This guy was a bad cliche. My father especially - and Roseanne confirmed this on her show when she did the episode about her abusive father dying - was extremely funny and disarming. Abusive people often do seem to manipulate you with their humor or what seems like a warm, charming personality. You'd let your guard down and one day- he'd lose it, you'd never know it was coming, and you'd suddenly be running for your life, terrified, and not have a clue what was going to happen to you. So, yeah: it doesn't work if you don't get the first part right. James Brolin's character in the first movie was a lot more like a real abusive father. Only... he didn't beat the kids.

After that, I've only seen a short piece of Dollhouse while channel-changing (and stopped because of Allen Cutler... wow) and It's About Time which I voted for. Horrible special effects (painfully bad) but I enjoyed nearly everything else. It was creepy, the acting was credible, the story was interesting, the characters were likable, the music was good enough, and visually it was satisfying. It was actually a good movie turned bad because of... those freaking awful effects!! I couldn't even watch the screen at some moments (the floor swallowing bit with the OBVIOUSLY fake stand-in half-nude boyfriend who lost muscle mass but gained substantially in the package department - sorry, Dean Cochran).

indiephantom
08-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Still going with Amityville 2, although I have now seen Amityville '92 : It's About Time since the last poll and I agree with whoever recommended it then. Pretty decent flick!

dave13
08-22-2012, 03:58 PM
this poll (and the other amityville sequels thread) have motivated me to spring for the dirt cheap dvds of II and 3D. Looking forward to watching them again. Maybe this time I'll get around to checking out the rest. The good word on 1992 will mean i'll likely check it out, at the very least. the OCD completest in me will probably take care of the others...

It's me, Billy
08-22-2012, 04:50 PM
Amityville II: The Possession

The first time I saw it, I was so creeped out. The actor playing Sonny did a fantastic job while in possessed mode. All of the other films in the series seem like After School Specials compared to this one.