PDA

View Full Version : Great news for Phenomena fans!

Argento Fan 2003
01-04-2001, 07:49 PM
I just got some official confirmation that Phenomena will be released from Germany's Dragon Entertainment. Like the other Argento DVDs it will probably have an english language track and it'll be region 0. The best thing about this release is the fact that it's the integral version. FULLY uncut! This is really exciting for me b/c I haven't seen the extra 5 minutes. Let's hope the 2-disc part is true and this will be the definitive version.

Jeremy
01-04-2001, 08:00 PM
Awesome news! I love this movie to death!

...But will it be PAL or NTSC?

Al Sex Gore
01-05-2001, 12:07 AM
It is indeed the long version that has only been available previously in Italian, but with new dubs segments in both English and German.

The second disc will contain around 110 minutes of newly filmed interviews and other cool extras. But it'll probably be a PAL release (which is great for us European folk !)

And for folk interested in the Dragon discs of 'Dance of the Demons' parts one and two ...

Both discs will be fully uncut region free PAL releases with English and German audio (as well as German and Dutch subtitles). Part one will include interviews with Argento and Stivaletti as well as the films trailer. Part 2 will include two deleted scenes, segments on Argento's Museum of Horrors and Profondo Rosso shop, as well as the movie trailer.

Pop over to SGM sometime gang...we'll keep you up to speed with the European side of things !!

Cheers,

Alan
http://www.sexgoremutants.co.uk

Argento Fan 2003
01-05-2001, 12:20 AM
Wait, the 5 minutes not on the Anchor Bay dvd are dubbed in english? How is this possible? The whole film was shot in english.

ArrowBeach
01-05-2001, 07:12 AM
I have the double disc LD from Japan, and it is 5 minutes LONGER than Anchor Bays (Shame on you AB!) BUT it is in Italian! But it looks like dubbed Italian, kind of like the long version of LEON was dubbed in French in the Japanese LD.

The Japanese LD is cool, as it has many interviews, documentary and a actual strip of film from the films!

ctyner
01-05-2001, 12:59 PM
"Phenomena" was likely shot silent, with the actors speaking English (or the phonetic equivalent?), which'd make every version dubbed. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

I could be wrong...

------------------
My DVD list (http://www.weirdal.org/me/html/dvd/list.php3) | bigwolfoncampus.org (http://www.bigwolfoncampus.org)

Argento Fan 2003
01-05-2001, 07:25 PM
Shot silent? Watch Dario Argento's World of Horror, the film was completely shot in english. The english portions of the extra 5 minutes may have been lost or damaged like in Deep Red.

Paff
01-05-2001, 09:24 PM
Yeah, these movies are definitely shot in English. On Dario Argento - Master of Horror, they show clips of Phenomena in Italian, and you can match the lips to the English subtitles. The voices are totally off, but of course on the regular version, it's definitely Jennifer Connelly's voice.

This was kind of like the first time I saw Jackie Chan's Mr. Nice Guy. These movies are released in China about a year before we get them. I found it on Chinese laserdisc before it even got theatrical release here. It was in Cantonese with English subtitles, yet the lips matched the English translation! So they film in English for the large American market, but dub into the local language.

Argento Fan 2003
01-05-2001, 09:28 PM
Well at least someone agrees with me. So back to my original question...why do the extra 5 minutes have to be dubbed in english when they were filmed in english? I would much rather hear Jen's voice than someone else's.

ctyner
01-05-2001, 09:35 PM
Well, the reason I said that I thought it was shot silent was because (1) that's a very common practice for Italian films, or at least, it was at the time and (2) the dialogue sounds...well...a little unnatural. Occassionally the lips don't seem to match the movements, like there was a slightly less than stellar ADR job, and the delivery just seems off. Whatever. Like I said, I could be wrong.

------------------
My DVD list (http://www.weirdal.org/me/html/dvd/list.php3) | bigwolfoncampus.org (http://www.bigwolfoncampus.org)

Paff
01-05-2001, 09:54 PM
Well, the reason the extra 5 may not be in English is probably the same reason as in Deep Red - they just lost the English soundtrack. Deep Red was done in English as well, unless David Hemmings speaks Italian with a perfect accent...

And yes, some foreign movies are done silently, with the soundtrack added in. Almost ALL Hong Kong movies are done that way. The reason you see it sometimes in Italian films is either because the accent is so thick (Theresa Russell dubbed Daria Nicolodi in Tenebrae, or listen to Mel Gibson's voice in Mad Max...not him, is it?) or if the soundtrack is damaged in some way. Notice in Suspiria the scene with Jessica Harper and Udo Kier. Udo's voice is totally off. That's because the wind was so bad that day the syncro-sound was useless (notice it's very windy but you can't hear any wind noise at all), so they re-dubbed, but Udo Kier was unavailable.

That's basically why some scenes are perfect, yet others seem so horribly dubbed...

Argento Fan 2003
01-05-2001, 09:59 PM
I really feel sorry for Argento, I think his films are works of art and editing them is almost like signing your name on someone else's painting. If Phenomena had been released originally fully uncut we wouldn't have this problem.

TTCFAN
01-05-2001, 11:08 PM
I haven't seen Phenomena, but I am assuming since it is an Italian film, that it is dubbed in english. Take the Beyond for example..some of the actors spoke english, and some spoke Italian, so they would have to re-dub everyones voices later...Listen to the comentary to The Beyond.

Argento Fan 2003
01-05-2001, 11:23 PM
No, it's a fact that this film was shot completely in English. Anyway, I've done the most I think I can do. I scoured the web until I found video prints of the integral version in their original English stereo tracks (I guess Dragon Entertainment didn't look hard enough). I sent a looooooooooooong letter to Anchor Bay suggestions with my ideas on a future Phenomena LE tin. I told them all about the different types of videos I found and where to get them (they all have minor differences and they're all bootlegs from independent distributors). Hopefully Anchor Bay will actually read my letter, take it into consideration, and re-release the disc. The resources are available it just seems like no one has really tried to make this disc elite.