PDA

View Full Version : Do you watch the end credits?

rhett
08-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Whenever you go to the theater, you always get a sense of the different kinds of movie watchers by the end credits. Many start leaving the second they sense the film is wrapping up (during Return of the King those people got up and sat back down a good 4 or 5 times :lol:), others stick it out until the lights come up during the start of the credits, others wait for bloopers, extras, that sort of thing, and then there's the dedicated film buffs who wait it out until the last frame. Where do you fall?

fattyjoe37
08-29-2012, 07:31 PM
I left as soon as the credits started on Wrong Turn, not realizing I had missed a scene that appears after about 15 seconds of credits. That annoyed me so much that now I always make sure to stay till the last frame.

Ash28M
08-29-2012, 07:51 PM
I picked "I watch a little in case there are bloopers/extras" because well that's what I do.

dave13
08-29-2012, 08:02 PM
it varies from film to film. but on the whole i usually leave when the credits start to roll. the same goes for watching a film at home, i'll stop it when the credits start. but if i go see something like the avengers, obviously i'm gonna stick arround until i get some extra footage. i tend to leave when the lights go up. if they keep the lights down, its usually an indication that there's more stuff coming up.

i think its sad that some people leave when they think the plot has been resolved. why are you even there? if all you care about is finding out how it ends, why not just read the plot synopsis on wikipedia?

wago70
08-29-2012, 08:05 PM
I watch most until the end: JAWS, Friday the 13th, the first 3 Halloween films, ect.

I hate watching cable when they squish the credits, speed them up and show a teaser of "Everybody Loves Raymond" as the following program.

f.ramses
08-29-2012, 08:14 PM
At most I might watch them for a few seconds to see if anything extra comes up but I usually just switch it off when they start to scroll against a black screen. Really wish they only put things like bloopers after the credits...

Workshed
08-29-2012, 08:33 PM
I always stay to the end. I wish I could say it was out of respect for the people who worked on the film, but it's usually more like, "I bet there's some shit after all this!"

bigdaddyhorse
08-29-2012, 08:52 PM
I'll stay til the end unless I already know there is nothing from reviews or whatnot. At home, I'll FF to see if there's anything else there. Drives my girl crazy, she's always yelling "there's nothing there unless it's a superhero or comedy film."

Katatonia
08-29-2012, 09:02 PM
It depends. If I own the films, I usually watch the end credits.

If I rent the films, I almost always fast forward through them...especially if they are abnormally lengthy.

Hellbilly
08-29-2012, 10:13 PM
The older the movie that's when I usually stay until the end. I pretty much ff through them on newer releases.

russweiss
08-30-2012, 12:16 AM
In the theater I stay till the credits are finished. At home I generally scan through the credits to see if there is anything extra. Most of the time in the theater there are only a few people left by the time the credits end.

Zillamon51
08-30-2012, 12:34 AM
I always sit and watch to the very end. Even if I have to pee.

Anaestheus
08-30-2012, 01:10 AM
For me, it solely depends on the music. It's one of the few chances you get to hear the score isolated from the dialogue and sound effects. So, if the score was good, I'll stick through them. If the start cranking out the non-related pop/rap/metal music of some recent teen-wonder, then I am outta there.

CPT HOOK
08-30-2012, 02:30 AM
If I'm with friends, I'll leave when they do. But if I'm solo, I'll stay to the very end. When I was taking film classes, the teacher was adamant about the class staying through the end credits. She would say "If your name was up there, you'd want people to stay." I guess the habit stuck. I do the same thing at home too.

vampyr789
08-30-2012, 03:55 AM
I too leave with friends, unless we're in awe b/c of the movie (or in shock). Like when I saw The Dark Knight Rises, I was in awe, as were my friends, and we waited until the very last frame. Example when we're in shock, was after we saw the first Paranormal Activity.
But I've always enjoyed staying and reading through the credits, listening to the music over the credits, etc. I always love it when there's something special after the credits.

Mitbox
08-30-2012, 04:37 AM
Last frame, In case there's an extra scene or something funny. But I find myself alone all the time, usually people leave the theater at the very start of the credits.

booper71
08-30-2012, 05:08 AM
I always watch till the very end, this has been a habit since the VHS boom for me.

Nailwraps
08-30-2012, 05:08 AM
Last frame, In case there's an extra scene or something funny. But I find myself alone all the time, usually people leave the theater at the very start of the credits.

Me too! You never know when extra scene is going to play. ;)

Erick H.
08-30-2012, 05:47 AM
I usually stay unless I really didn't like the film.Otherwise I ride it out in case there is a tag scene.I'm also something of a film score buff and like to listen to the music.

MorallySound
08-30-2012, 05:20 PM
The movie isn't over until the tail leader is past the gate and the lamp house is turned off. Or I guess now in today's words "After the hidden scene after the credits" is over, since too many movies are resorting to that these days...

I firmly believe in staying until the lights come up to pay my respects to those who worked on the film, regardless of how shitty it was. If it was a good film, you're honouring the job well done - it's like a wedding reception in a way. And if the film was bad, well then it's the wake. But you're still paying your respect.

Plus I have friends who work in the industry all over the world, and I enjoy seeing familiar names pop up from time to time. And of course listening to the score, or if they go with some shitty band or rap song for no apparent reason.

All the above aside, it's simply: The movie isn't over until it's over.

dave13
08-30-2012, 06:15 PM
i'd be curious to know, of those who stay through the whole thing, do you actually READ them? or do you just sit there waiting, listening to the music, getting your coat on, talking to friends, etc? even when i sit through the whole thing, i certainly don't read them. not out of any disrespect to those who made it. but seriously what do i get from reading the name of the hairstylist or the wardrobe consultant? what do THEY get out of my reading their name? do they care? even if i were to read it, i wouldn't remember it a second later, because i'd be reading the name of the key grip.

it seems to me that the credits are more of a resume/legal/personal thankyou thing. such-and-such a person can prove they worked on a film because their name is in the credits. thats important in helping them get more work, i would imagine, or in ensuring they receive proper treatment legally. it also allows the higher ups (directors, producers, what-have-you) to express their gratitude to those who worked for them, which is all fine and dandy, but has nothing to do with me.

im by all means interested in those who work on making the film, but we have tools like IMDB for that, and if that doesn't work, I can specifically watch the end credits on dvd or blu ray in order to locate an individual. but i don't see any point in sitting in a theatre reading over an enormous list of names, almost none of which will mean anything to me or stay with me beyond the time it takes to read them.

MorallySound
08-30-2012, 06:58 PM
i'd be curious to know, of those who stay through the whole thing, do you actually READ them? or do you just sit there waiting, listening to the music, getting your coat on, talking to friends, etc? even when i sit through the whole thing, i certainly don't read them. not out of any disrespect to those who made it. but seriously what do i get from reading the name of the hairstylist or the wardrobe consultant? what do THEY get out of my reading their name? do they care? even if i were to read it, i wouldn't remember it a second later, because i'd be reading the name of the key grip.

it seems to me that the credits are more of a resume/legal/personal thankyou thing. such-and-such a person can prove they worked on a film because their name is in the credits. thats important in helping them get more work, i would imagine, or in ensuring they receive proper treatment legally. it also allows the higher ups (directors, producers, what-have-you) to express their gratitude to those who worked for them, which is all fine and dandy, but has nothing to do with me.

im by all means interested in those who work on making the film, but we have tools like IMDB for that, and if that doesn't work, I can specifically watch the end credits on dvd or blu ray in order to locate an individual. but i don't see any point in sitting in a theatre reading over an enormous list of names, almost none of which will mean anything to me or stay with me beyond the time it takes to read them.

I sit there still and silent reading them.

indiephantom
08-30-2012, 07:28 PM
Normally I stick it out if it's a cool film or something in the theatre. If I really hated it, I'll bail more quickly. Although, at a festival or something I'll wait unless I'm late for another film. Generally I try not to get up too fast like all the inconsiderate wanks around me to weren't paying attention the film to begin wiith.

Egg_Shen
08-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Most end credits are simply obligatory with a list of EVERYONE who did ANYTHING. However, there are some end credits that for me seem like they are still being directed. The best examples are Stanley Kubrick's credits. The way the credits are cut to the music, and also the fact that he would always have a "the end" title after them, makes me feel the film is still meant to be seen.

Gizmo
09-01-2012, 07:12 PM
I stay till the lights go up unless the music is too horrible.

Hellbilly
09-01-2012, 07:49 PM
One of the best end credits created can be seen in the movie The Cavern (aka WIthIN, 2005). Never seen anything like it. Worth a rental for that alone.

ZoSo
09-02-2012, 07:22 AM
I fall asleep 20 minutes into the movie.

spawningblue
09-11-2012, 03:00 AM
At the theatre I usually know ahead of time whether I will stick around or not from reading forums, that is if there is something at the end or not. Comic book films are almost always a guarantee. Sometime though the scene comes at the beginning of the credits so I'll watch it and then leave. Then again this made me miss the very end scene of the Avengers, the one after the credits, because apparently advanced screenings did not have that scene so I read there was nothing at the very end, just the scene at the beginning of the credits.

I definitely don't stay to read them, nor do I really read them while waiting. Some times there is good stuff in the thank you section though, usually with comedy films such as Kevin Smiths' flicks.

At home I always fast forward until the end, just in case. I remember one time I found out from a friend that I missed something at the end of a movie (Daredevil I think), so from that put on I always fast forward to the end just in case.

startide
09-11-2012, 04:11 AM
Of course. I might FF them if I'm watching something, but I always watch them and it pisses me off when they are left off (often happens on TV and they go straight to the dist. card).

I'm OCD. I have to know everything. Most people wouldn't know who Barbara Harris is or what she does, but I do! :lol:

DVD-fanatic-9
09-14-2012, 07:29 PM
You don't have a choice in the theater. People push you, they all want to get out, and I've tried to stay through the credits but there's not enough room to sit and let people pass by you. It's like that scene in Fright Night- try staying still with that wave knocking you over and then getting angry with you because you're not moving too.

For me, it solely depends on the music.
Same here. I almost always watch the credits at home because of the music. Unless it's a newer movie. Good example of a winner to stay through = May. Excellent songs. But, an older movie, could you honestly turn off until it's over...

Wait... I sense a new thread forming...

Sam
09-26-2012, 02:35 AM
I usually get up and go when the credits start rolling unless I see early (instant) indication of blooper reels or similar tacked-on material. Haven't really sat through until the last frame since I was a child. But, back then it was more because friends and I had time to kill until parents came to pick us up.

The Chaostar
09-26-2012, 02:59 PM
Until the very last frame. For me it enhances the experience, but I cannot explain it further.

Mutilated Prey
09-27-2012, 04:48 PM
I'm actually kinda "other" here although I picked "watch a little in case of extras/bloopers". I typically fast forward until the end in case there is one last scene. This happens a lot in comedys.

MisterMaggot
09-28-2012, 01:45 AM
I watch all the way through, always have...perhaps out of respect for the people involved...or maybe just to be sure I don't miss something after they roll. But it's something I've always done. I don't go to the cinema anymore...the audiences have gotten distracting to such a degree I just don't enjoy the experience anymore. But then, I don't need to, my collection is outa this world.

Anyone remember a time when people used to applaud after a movie?