PDA

View Full Version : Worst Hellraiser Sequel

rhett
10-25-2012, 08:39 PM
As Chunkblower and I sludge through the depressing lot that encompasses the Hellraiser film canon, the question is not really about which film is best, but really which one is worst? Whether he's in space or cyberpsace, Pinhead's been in some stinkers. Which one is your least favorite?

Anthropophagus
10-25-2012, 08:46 PM
I gave up after the third I believe, so I can't really judge fairly. This is one franchise like Leprechaun where the sequels hold no interest for me, even though I like the first entry.

dave13
10-25-2012, 08:49 PM
what, no poll options? (edit: ahh, there they are.)

anyway, i stopped watching after Inferno. and it was, by far, the worst up to that point. you two are braver men than I for venturing further. ugh.

Mikey Horror
10-25-2012, 09:01 PM
I still haven't seen Revelations and really don't think I'll have the stomach to do so. Out of all the others, I'd have to go with Hellworld. That entry was just God awful. Other than those two, I actually enjoyed the rest of the series. I still don't get all the hate for Inferno. Other than the Cenobites being shoe horned into a movie than was never intended to be a Hellraiser sequel, I thought it was damn good and it's one of my favorite sequels. If I had to rate them from best to worst in my opinion, I'd say it would be:

1. Hellraiser
2. Hellbound: Hellraiser II
3. Hellraiser: Inferno
4. Hellraiser: Bloodline
5. Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth
6. Hellraiser: Deader
7. Hellraiser: Hellseeker
8. Hellraiser: Hellworld

* Haven't seen Revelations and really have no desire to ever check it out.

fattyjoe37
10-25-2012, 09:08 PM
This is a series that has a rap for being god awful, but I think most of the entries are just mediocre. They've definitely been getting worse as they go on. When it came out I thought Hellworld was the worst, but as I watched Revelations it quickly fell to the bottom of the list.

rxfiend
10-25-2012, 09:24 PM
I voted for Hellworld. Revelations ended up better than it should have been IMO. I used to dislike 3 the most until Hellworld came along. The other DTV sequels, I don't mind too much but nothing matches the first two films.

DVD-fanatic-9
10-25-2012, 09:25 PM
Damn Revelations... I haven't seen it. Can we pretend it doesn't exist?

Anyway: DEADER! A million times over: DEADER!! God fucking DAMN that pile of shit, I want my money back (and I watched it on Netflix).

My Ranking:
Hellraiser
Hell on Earth
Bloodline
Hellbound
Hellseeker
Inferno
Hellworld
Deader

MorallySound
10-25-2012, 10:50 PM
I've seen all but the new Revelations, and likely won't see it. After the fifth film and when Rick Bota takes the reigns this series takes a straight nosedive into shit. Hellworld being the worst of what I've seen, but can't see Revelations being any better than parts 6,7 or 8...

Hellraiser - 4/5
Hellbound: Hellraiser II - 3.5/5
Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth - 3.5/5
Hellraiser: Bloodline - 2.5/5
Hellraiser: Inferno - 3.5/5 (I dunno what it is about this noir Hellraiser mash-up, but I enjoy the hell out of this film, which may be my second favourite of the series)
Hellraiser: Hellseeker - 1.5/5
Hellraiser: Deader - 1.5/5
Hellraiser: Hellworld - 0.5/5

MorallySound
10-25-2012, 10:53 PM
I still don't get all the hate for Inferno. Other than the Cenobites being shoe horned into a movie than was never intended to be a Hellraiser sequel, I thought it was damn good and it's one of my favorite sequels.

YES! Another Inferno lover!

Body Boy
10-25-2012, 11:13 PM
I have only seen the first six, but Hellseeker was easily my least favorite.

Inferno was a surprise. While it doesn't have a style like any of the first three that I like, it's arguably the most intelligent of the Hellraisers that I've seen. Beautiful, evil, and completely breaks you when you finish if you understand the context. I feel Hellseeker was trying to go this route, but failed at grasping the point of it.

deepred
10-26-2012, 12:13 AM
I also enjoyed Inferno. It had great atmosphere I thought.

I think Hellseeker was the worst. I think if they were going to bring back the original heroine of the first two films, they could have done A LOT better than this. :rolleyes:

MisterTwister
10-26-2012, 12:37 AM
Hellbound: Hellraiser II
Hellraiser
Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth
Hellraiser: Bloodline
Hellraiser: Revelations
Hellraiser: Inferno
Hellraiser: Deader
Hellraiser: Hellworld
Hellraiser: Hellseeker

KGBRadioMoskow
10-26-2012, 12:48 AM
Inferno is almost the Halloween III of the franchise - so much attention is paid to knocking the hard left turn off of the franchise main road that its merits are ignored. Its not a great film by any means, but I've always been a sucker for a decently executed "man forced to reflect on his own damnation" story.

Compared to some of the mindless carnage of some of the other entries, including IMO the third film, this film is a worthwhile watch. It may not really be a true Hellraiser film - honestly, why the hell would Cenobites care about something as banal as punishing people for their sins, let alone impart some morality lesson? But if I was going to trim my Hellraiser collection down 3, this one would probably make the third rung cut.

JGrendel
10-26-2012, 01:12 AM
I picked Revelations cause you know it's a bad sign when your main actor and star of the series refuses to come back.

Mutilated Prey
10-26-2012, 01:21 AM
I gave up after the first three. Totally dug Parts 1 and 2 and then in number 3 when that Cenobite started shooting CD's at people I was done.

Shlockjock81
10-26-2012, 01:33 AM
I like to pretend the series ended with part 2. Part 2 may have been a somewhat unnecessary continuation of the story, but it wrapped everything up nicely.

I remember trying to watch the rest in the series and ended up hating the SHIT out of them.

startide
10-26-2012, 01:47 AM
Um, I thought Hellraiser was terrible, why the hell would I seek out any of its sequels? OK, maybe not terrible, but I certainly didn't want to watch it again. (Other than Pinhead, the slimy bloody bodies and Clare Higgins I don't even remember anything about it!)

Kolpitz
10-26-2012, 02:23 AM
It's great to see some love for Hellraiser: Inferno on here. That film is one of the most underrated films out there. Anyway, since we're stack-ranking them, here we go:

1.) Hellraiser
2.) Hellbound: Hellraiser II
3.) Hellraiser: Inferno
4.) Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth
5.) Hellraiser: Bloodline
6.) Hellraiser: Hellseaker
7.) Hellraiser: Hellworld
8.) Hellraiser: Deader
9.) Hellraiser: Revelations

Katatonia
10-26-2012, 03:36 AM
Revelations is the absolute worst sequel, by far. What were they even thinking by making this turd??

KamuiX
10-26-2012, 04:18 AM
The first is a horror masterpiece, the second isn't far behind, and Inferno is the only good one after those. That's six crappy entries to choose from, but the worst has to be Revelations...it makes the the other 5 look like masterpieces by comparison.

DVD-fanatic-9
10-26-2012, 05:55 AM
I've seen all but the new Revelations, and likely won't see it. After the fifth film and when Rick Bota takes the reigns this series takes a straight nosedive into shit. Hellworld being the worst of what I've seen

Hellraiser: Inferno - 3.5/5 (I dunno what it is about this noir Hellraiser mash-up, but I enjoy the hell out of this film, which may be my second favourite of the series)Out of all the others, I'd have to go with Hellworld. That entry was just God awful. I still don't get all the hate for Inferno. Other than the Cenobites being shoe horned into a movie than was never intended to be a Hellraiser sequel, I thought it was damn good and it's one of my favorite sequels.
The movie was also really working for me for a long time, except for the CGI and the very made-for-TV quality to the tone of the "dark" scenes (the leather guy in particular: "you gonna frisk me or fuck me"). Hell, scratch the latter there: I'm so keen on seeing more suggestive homoeroticism that even the sad straight guys pretending is charming in a Troll 2 kind of way. The movie just plain got dull in the middle, then got Really Bad at the end. Earth-shatteringly bad. Which coincides with the shoehorned (you called it) arrival of Pinhead. And his awful dialogue. (Has it... been any good since the first film? At least Bloodline was entertainingly bad.) The final 30 minutes are entirely unsalvageable. A good example of why can be found in the phony-cerebral image of the 2 or 3 Craig Sheffers representing a split of conscience/spirituality/whatever (didn't he at one point also make a Father-Son-Holy Ghost analogy or something like that?)... I can't believe the people in charge of this project decided to lift a trick from Freddy's Dead, let alone the film's worst scene: "Free me, you idiot- I'm your fucking memory!!" I'll take Bloodline reducing Pinhead and the new Cenobite characters to Power Rangers villains over this any day ("After 10,000 years I'm free- it's time to conquer Earth!").

I put Hellseeker ahead because it looked better, the ending was actually good, and despite how awful the 70-80% majority was of the film from the hospital scene to the moment Kirsty comes back- I thought the movie's sexual kinks actually felt legitimate (unlike Inferno's bubble-gum pop approximation of a leatherman) and... perhaps even researched, by comparison. The film was actually an interesting experience in being quite good when it didn't suck. The only real problem is (well, other than CGI) that it's desperate to be a mindfuck and has the worst ideas for "playing" with your mind. Hellworld was a lot better than I expected, by the by. I know I ranked it 2nd to last but it was still better than every Saw movie I've seen. It was a love-letter to the 90's, is what it was; anyone else notice that? If it had only cast less annoying actors and worked a little on the dialogue... it would have been decent. Of course, I'm saying that because... holy shit: it actually tried to do something different than what was trendy at that time (Wolf Creek and the Saw sequels). It didn't pretend to be smart and didn't try to put on the "ooh, we're SO confrontational" front that every survival horror pos was at that time.

Luki
10-26-2012, 10:13 AM
I have a soft spot for Inferno, Hellseeker and Deader. I like them and enjoy them, though not necessarily as Hellraiser flicks. I think they are solid DTV horror entertainment, especially Deader which I like a lot.

I voted Revelations as the worst of the sequels.

JGrendel
10-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Anyone else feel like Doug's been pretty much phoning it in since Bloodlines?

Vance Vandy
10-26-2012, 05:03 PM
I think the first six are all quite good in different ways. After Hellseeker, however, they drop off badly. Hellworld is the worst.

Mok
10-26-2012, 05:41 PM
Aside from the shitty pinhead, Revelations is one of the better Hellraiser sequels.

Copyboy
10-26-2012, 11:16 PM
I honestly can't vote in this as every movie after the space one is a big blur. I couldn't tell you which one is which. I remember one had a cute reporter girl who smelled of cigarettes and patchouli, one had Kirsty return, one had kids either at a rave or house party, one was a Carnival of Souls rip off, but yeah, none of them really stand out and I would never be able to match my little synopses with the titles!

rhett
10-27-2012, 12:40 AM
none of them really stand out and I would never be able to match my little synopses with the titles!

Here...I'll help!

one had a cute reporter girl who smelled of cigarettes and patchouli

Hellraiser III.

one had Kirsty return

Hellseeker.

one had kids either at a rave or house party

Hellworld.

one was a Carnival of Souls rip off

Also Hellseeker.

Body Boy
10-27-2012, 01:04 AM
Thanks to this thread, I decided to watch Hellraiser VII: Deader.

Don't get mad people, but... I didn't hate it. It was saved by its commentary. I'm giving it a 5. At least we had a somewhat likable lead.

Best to worst imo:

Hellraiser
Hellraiser V: Inferno
Hellraiser III: Hell On Earth
Hellraiser IV: Bloodline
Hellraiser VII: Deader
Hellraiser VI: Hellseeker

thrashard76
10-27-2012, 04:42 AM
I haven't seen any of the movies past Inferno but I'd say Inferno was the worst out of the first 5 movies. It was a good movie plot wise but it sucked as a Hellraiser movie. Pinhead was in it all for what...5 minutes?

Body Boy
10-27-2012, 09:23 AM
LOL why do I continue to watch this series? Well, Part VIII was my second of this franchise to watch tonight, and it was... well, it was good for the first 30 minutes, and I have mixed likings/dislikings of the twist ending. But it just kinda fell apart. Making Pinhead into a typical slasher was... well, it turned out how'd you expect. Not awfully, but... I'm just not sure if this was a breath of fresh air from the psychological thriller aspect or a step down. My rankings are now as follows:

Hellraiser
Hellraiser V: Inferno
Hellraiser III: Hell On Earth
Hellraiser IV: Bloodline
Hellraiser VII: Deader
Hellraiser VIII: Hellworld
Hellraiser VI: Hellseeker

rhett
10-27-2012, 06:49 PM
Honestly, remove the bad press about Revelations being filmed over a couple of weeks and the fact that Doug Bradley wasn't involved because of the rushed sched and the film actually holds up okay. In terms of structure it is probably the closest film in the entire series to the original, and the focus is thankfully much more geared towards the cenobites. The effects were quite good too, all things considered. I liked it more than anything post Bloodline, barring that nice twist in Hellseeker. It's a shame Bradley wasn't involved because that's the main thing holding the movie back.

MisterTwister
10-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Honestly, remove the bad press about Revelations being filmed over a couple of weeks and the fact that Doug Bradley wasn't involved because of the rushed sched and the film actually holds up okay. In terms of structure it is probably the closest film in the entire series to the original, and the focus is thankfully much more geared towards the cenobites. The effects were quite good too, all things considered. I liked it more than anything post Bloodline, barring that nice twist in Hellseeker. It's a shame Bradley wasn't involved because that's the main thing holding the movie back.

This.

People can huff and puff about the film all they want but at least the damn thing feels like a Hellraiser film.

The cinematography by David Armstrong is excellent and the practical gore is nice.

Sadly the wannabe Pinhead and poor acting from most of the cast holds it back but I'd still watch it over any of the sequels past Bloodline.

Copyboy
10-27-2012, 09:33 PM
Here...I'll help!

one had a cute reporter girl who smelled of cigarettes and patchouli

Hellraiser III.

one had Kirsty return

Hellseeker.

one had kids either at a rave or house party

Hellworld.

one was a Carnival of Souls rip off

Also Hellseeker.

Thanks, Rhett! Ha ha! I do remember III though, and there's another post-space one with a reporter girl. This one had dark hair though and I remember her boss saying she smelled of cigarettes and patchouli. And was Craig Sheffer in one or am I thinking of something else?

Oops. Just noticed the new reviews posted for some of these. Will have to check them out to refresh my memory.

Cooperkill
10-27-2012, 09:36 PM
To me, Bloodline was the worst until Hellworld came along, and Hellworld was the worst until Revelations came along. I don't care how long it took to film, and I care even less about who plays Pinhead for five minutes. Revelations is a piss-poor travesty in a series that has way too many awful entries.

maybrick
10-27-2012, 11:10 PM
The first two direct to video films were surprisingly pretty good. The third one, Deadworld, I gave up on about 8 minutes in when it featured a college kid dressed as Cenobite and a chick said "Cenobites aren't real, you know." I suppose I should have given it more of a chance but sometimes you can just tell when something is going to be shit. Never watched any of the ones more recent than that.

I've always thought that Bloodline got a bad rap that it didn't deserve. I liked it more than part III.

Conal Cochran
10-28-2012, 12:37 AM
YES! Another Inferno lover!

I am with you guys!

Body Boy
10-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Lol, after watched IX: Revelations, I have to say that the worst is still Part VI: Hellseeker. Actually, though low in budget and weird Pinhead, Revelations clocking in at 70 minutes without credits is much easier to swallow than the other DTV sequels aside from Inferno.

My rankings are as follows:

Hellraiser (1987)
Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1988)
Hellraiser V: Inferno (2000)
Hellraiser III: Hell On Earth (1992)
Hellraiser IV: Bloodline (1996)
Hellraiser IX: Revelations (2011)
Hellraiser VII: Deader (2005)
Hellraiser VIII: Hellworld (2005)
Hellraiser VI: Hellseeker (2002)

Kolpitz
10-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Thanks, Rhett! Ha ha! I do remember III though, and there's another post-space one with a reporter girl. This one had dark hair though and I remember her boss saying she smelled of cigarettes and patchouli. And was Craig Sheffer in one or am I thinking of something else?

Hellraiser: Deader is probably the one you're thinking of with the reporter. I don't care for it all, so I don't remember how the character is described. Craig Sheffer is in Hellraiser: Inferno, which I think is awesome.

horror addict
10-29-2012, 05:06 PM
The only one I haven't seen is Revelations, and I honestly don't really care to. As for the first 8, I'm going with Deader as the worst. I've always liked Kari Wuhrer, but that movie just bored the shit out of me.

Also, count me in on the Inferno love. I quite like Hellseeker too, which sort of feels like a sequel more to Inferno than to the rest of the series in a lot of ways, both of them being stories primarily about one man's journey into madness and damnation. Then again, I really like Bloodline, so what do I know? :D

Here's my series ranking:

1. Hellbound
2. Hellraiser
3. Hell On Earth
4. Inferno
5. Bloodline
6. Helllseeker
7. Hellworld
8. Deader

DVD-fanatic-9
11-07-2012, 07:04 PM
I'm going with Deader as the worst. I've always liked Kari Wuhrer, but that movie just bored the shit out of me.
If only I'd been bored. I was too busy bashing my head against the wall because it was so painfully awful. Every second. Making my brain actually react to everything bad about it, instead of Hellworld, where I was allowed to just watch light stupidity. And at least that movie looked good. After the opening scene at a funeral, it was all uphill. Though... extremely slowly.

Then again, I really like Bloodline, so what do I know? :D
Well, I'm tempted to say you know a lot. But I won't, because you think Hellbound is the best film and that thing was so terrible, I started hating the 80's. Thankfully, I just saw Bud the Chud last week so now I have a reason to like the 80's again. (I'm deadly serious; when I think about everything that was genuinely artificial, overproduced, and soul-crushing about that sickeningly conservative decade, this film will stand to me as one of the leading symbols of that. Yet- not as a sobering reaction to it, but as a product of it.)

However, Bloodline is just harmless. And so whacked, that it's legitimately entertaining to watch how wrong that film goes. I said it before: it's as though they were taking inspiration from the Power Rangers. The Cenobites wanted to conquer Earth. It was cute.

Rft183
11-07-2012, 07:43 PM
I've just recently watched most of the sequels. For the most part, I've enjoyed them all. The problem I have with them is that they all seem to run together. I can't remember which is which! I specifically remember the first and second ones, but after that, it's just a mish-mash (kind of what some of the cenobites look like!)

dave13
12-17-2012, 03:48 PM
after this years franchise harvest i decided to watch all the Rick Bota-helmed sequels, which i had kind of forgotten about. i'd hated inferno when it first came out, and had passed on the next three when it seemed like they were more of the same. but now i can actually offer an opinion on the last three sequels (not counting revelations, which doesn't seem like it should be considered cannon without Bradley).

Hellseeker - this one was ok, and probably the best of the 3 directed by Rick Bota. Everything that doesn't have Kirsty in it feels like a retread of Inferno (at least, what I remember inferno being about, since i haven't seen it in over a decade). i found the main portion focusing on Kirsty's husband tollerable, but not really that engaging. I mean, the bottom line is that the guy is obviously a douchebag, even if he doesn't remember it at first, so its hard to feel any sympathy and thus any actual suspense about what will eventually happen to him. Ashley Laurence didn't disappoint, though - she's a great actor, and she plays her part with a lot of conviction. The years have also been very kind to her, as I think she looked even prettier in this than she did in the first two. So the first 5 minutes and the last 10 are definitely the high points of the film. Although, as soon as the relationship between Kirsty and Pinhead is revealed at the end, I couldn't help but think about their exchange in Hellbound when Pinhead (or was it the female cenobite?) tells Kirsty that they're not interested in making any more deals with her. What happened to that? Oh well. This one wasn't so bad.

Deader - I can see why some people hate this one even more than Hellworld, since its just such a storytelling mess and makes absolutely no sense. But there are some decent performances (I like Kari Wuhrer, she was the best thing about Anaconda), and the subway train is entertainingly sleazy. Also, since this one is actually SET in Romania, the cinematography is allowed a little bit of room to breathe in the exteriors, which was nice. A bit more gore and nudity isn't enough to save this one, though, since the story is just so terrible. By the end of it, despite trying my best to pay attention, I had no idea what the hell was supposed to be happening. I just read Chunkblowers review, and he mentions a sequence at the end in an insane asylum. try as i might, i have no memory of that scene at all. so that goes to show just how successful I was at following the stupid thing. Also, did anybody else notice that this was produced by Stan Winston? What the hell is that about? Was he attached to the initial spec script, and just ended up with his name stuck on the thing? Weird.

Hellworld - as completely schizophrenic as Deader was, at least it wasn't aggressively bad. The characters are so smugly annoying in this one, the story so insultingly bad and pandering and desperate-to-be-hip, that this has now supplanted Inferno as my vote for worst sequel (still haven't seen Revelations, though). Poor Lance Henrickson. Poor Henry Cavill. the online game was beyond stupid, both as a plot point and in its actual execution, the self-aware wannabe-meta aspect of having all the characters know about cenobites and the lament configuration, etc. was grating, and the final "twist" was moronic. Oh, and why the hell did they keep calling it the "lamont" configuration? ugh. BAD.

when i watched the children of the corn series a year or so ago, i eventually forced myself to watch the syfy remake, despite it not really being a part of the series. due to the purely commercial inspiration and lack of Doug Bradley, I would consider Revelations to be likewise apart from the actual Hellraiser series. However, i still feel like i should watch it, so i at least can have a legitimate opinion. so, at some point, that will have to happen. we'll see if that can bump Hellworld from the bottom spot.