PDA

View Full Version : Best Carpenter Commentary

rhett
01-16-2002, 07:34 PM
I don't really listen to a lot of commentaries, but when it comes to John Carpenter and the Evil Dead trilogy commentaries, I can't resist. And with the announcement on the news page that JC has done two new commentaries, I felt it was the right time to fire up a new poll! So vote with care, and let's see which one comes out on top!

Update: In a lapse of sanity I forgot to add The Fog to the list, my appologies! :(

Andrew
01-16-2002, 10:04 PM
DEFINITELY The Thing, but I haven't heard any of the laserdisc commentaries :(.

Shannafey
01-17-2002, 03:15 AM
The ones with Kurt Russell are definitely the best. I love the one on The Thing. Unfortunately, I too, have never heard the laserdisc ones. I hope the Escape from NY DVD has the laser commentary.

bigdaddyhorse
01-17-2002, 05:02 AM
Gotta go with "The Thing".
This was the first comm. I ever listened to, so it's kinda like doing coke, tryin to find that same level (I quit coke, but not comm.)
Ghosts Of Mars was probably second (comm. tracks are always better with someone to play off, and you could feel the fun on this one too.)
I have heard all the laserdisc comm. too (it's most of the reason I bought a cheap player) and while all are good, none will ever live up to The Thing. They Live has a chance.
Worst;
In the Mouth Of Madness, it's great info if you wanna be a D.P., but not fun like the others.

Hellbilly
01-17-2002, 05:59 PM
I love the THING commentary but voted for GHOSTS OF MARS.
John Carpenter & Natasha Henstridge were great, t'was also very funny. Too bad Pam Grier & Clea Duvall couldn't join in.

Cool poll rhett. :)

rhett
01-18-2002, 01:48 AM
comm. tracks are always better with someone to play off
I definitely agree bigdaddy, having a group of people makes for a more varied conversation and discussion, while contrastingly solo commentaries can get quite dry. But the reason I voted for Assault on Precinct 13 is that JC, despite going solo, keeps the commentary moving and always interesting. He gives several anecdotes and expresses a fondness for the film, which he doesn't usually show (see Ghosts of Mars).

But I could have easily picked any of the three Russell accompanied commentaries (my favorite is in BTILC when JC mentions how Russell and everyone but Victor Wong were stoned in the elevator!) or the Ghosts of Mars commentary. I haven't yet heard The Fog commentary though (probably the reason I forgot to include it! :( ) so I really can't wait for the SE from MGM this year.

Thanks Helly, just trying to offer an alternative to your always entertaining polls!