PDA

View Full Version : CLD-D504 The Rainbow Player Part II

jscott
01-18-2002, 08:03 PM
I am now the proud owner of this laserdisc player, thanks to Killit. I was watching Ed Wood last night, and on some scenes I noticed multi colored lines, specifically on shots of items or backgrounds with lots of lines or stripes. Is this normal? I have my player hooked up with component video out.
One more thing. Are Monster Cables all they're cooked up to be? I don't know if I can justify spending $60 on a set of AV cables. Maybe if I had a hi def tv I could, but the $6 cables I bought seem to work just fine.

Paff
01-18-2002, 10:38 PM
Yes, it is normal...

first of all, you do mean composite, not component, right?

This is a comb filter phenomena. The better the filter, the better it separates everything. This might be a good place to check the S-Video vs. Composite theory.

And while Monster Cables are very good (and they'll help with this problem), they're a bit overpriced. What I've been using lately with some good success is Radio Shack gold cables. They're slightly cheaper than Monster and seem to provide a similar quality. You definitely want to use something a step above basic cables (especially with an analog format like LD).

MISFITZ
01-21-2002, 05:50 PM
I'm pretty sure you mean "COMPOSITE" as well. I have that model number LD and my playa doesn't have COMPONET OUTPUTS.

The 'rainbow' effect I got from my player was in the black bars. (widescreen films) I noticed them when I had them on my MITSUBISHI BIG SCREEN. That set had a 'great' comb filter. The 3 Y/C filter and had the mitsubishi diamond shield. HOWEVER, it was still a projection TV and colors always seem to be off a hair no matter how FINE you calibrate your set. And I even had 'advance convergence' with the mistubishi, but you could still see off colors SOOOOO SLIGHTLY!!

Example: a complete black screen with white type would produce a SLIGHT blue outline around the text. Naked to the avg consumer but noticable to me.

I had my LD player connected to that set using MONSTER s-cables.

But I have since sold that TV for something more modest. I have a 32 inch TOSHIBA with a 3 line digital comb filter and 700 lines of resolution. And the LD picture is AWESOME!!! (using monster s-cables)

But to get to your post, I think one thing to look at too is which movie you were watching. If it was a shitty LD, that may be the prob right there! My shitty copy of 'THE HUNGER' looks like shit.

So which LD was it???

Also on MONSTER CABLES, i do think they are overpriced too, but they are really great cables. If you take one apart and compare it to others, they are built very good and keep the 'conduction' clean throughout the cable. Most other cables i've seen only pimp out the tips. However, they are not FLAWLESS. I've had a monster cable go out on me. The connection was bent outta whack and in a place where DURABLITY should have played a role. And speaking of DURABLITY, they are HEAVY cables. So if you have your system high from the ground, they will have a hard pull downwards. Which can add to the wear. It is good to give them proper support due to their heaviness by attaching it to your entertainment center here and there or anywhere else where they are out of sight but supported. I trust MONSTER CABLES. It's like gas for your car. Would you put 'Circle K' gas or "ma & Pa's pump' gas into your new vehicle, or would you go and find a SHELL or EXXON? It's all gas right? But I would stick to SHELL. It's your system.

Final thoughts on your player, if your tv can support S-cable, try that. Because it sounds like you are already using composite. But other than that, I think the player is fantastic. I have put a lot of miles in mine and it still runs great. *knocks on wood* With my new TOSHIBA TV I really have braggin' rights to how good LD is compared to DVD. And it has sparked my interest again. Within' the last month I've bought over 10 new LD's and have 2 on e-bay I'm watching. (won't say here, in case you assholes try to outbid me! :D ) So my LD is alive and kickin again.

MISFITZ
01-21-2002, 05:54 PM
Sorry!! :( :rolleyes:

I just reREAD your post and you mentioned the LD you were watching. Hmph? :confused:

As Paff said, maybe this would be a good time to check the composite vs S-cable theory........

Paff
01-22-2002, 04:21 AM
Well, you get this with extremely close parallel black lines on a white background. The Video Essentials test disc has the Snell & Willcox pattern, with a moving "ball" made up of parallel lines. On the LD, it shows the rainbow pattern, even on my Pioneer CLD-D704. But the DVD version has no rainbow whatsoever. The sharper clarity of DVD provides the better separation...

anyway, which scene in Ed Wood does this? I have that LD. I can check the same scene on my 704, and see if it's any better...

jscott
01-22-2002, 04:56 PM
First off, my mistake for calling composite video component. I was at my dad's this weekend, and he has a Pioneer DVL909, which has component output (I'm in awe of my dad's LD player, and the undeserving bastard doesn't have a tv with component inputs!). I can't remember what scene it is from Ed Wood that has the rainbow pattern, I'll have to watch it tonight and get back with you.

As for S Video vs Composite, I have noticed a smoother picture with the S cable. HOWEVER, my cables are cheap. Maybe with a good Monster Composite cable, the picture would look better. And maybe with a Monster S Video cable, it would be even better than that.

jscott
01-28-2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Paff

anyway, which scene in Ed Wood does this?

Chapter 8, Side 1, 33:01-The makeup man's shirt. Only does it for a second.

Paff
01-29-2002, 05:22 AM
My copy does the exact same thing...so it's the disc.

You can tell Burton composed for the screen, 'cause they always advise against patterns like that for TV newspeople and such.

jscott
01-29-2002, 08:55 PM
Thanks for checking Paff. I've picked up a Monster composite video cable, and the picture is a little smoother. This weekend or next, I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy a Monster S-Video cable, just so I know for sure which cable looks better.

MISFITZ
01-30-2002, 05:52 PM
Yeah post the results.

I had betta luck with my s-cable on my particular TV. But would love to hear from someone else.

I'd search on e-bay for a cable too. i've found some pretty good deal on MONSTER CABLES there still brand new.

Man, i've been pimpin' e-bay hard lately. I'm even under suspension (for trying to sell the modified PS) and I'm still buying stuff!! Laser Disc that is!!!

I dunno if some cool as FUCK horror fan decided one day to get rid of his stuff, or his ld playa broke, but i've snagged some decent titles at resonable prices!!!