PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of the Dead Laserdiscs

buck135
06-03-2013, 06:17 PM
Well, I finally obtained all of the Dawn of the Dead Laserdiscs. There are two others, a German LD from Astro Records which is limited to 1000 and an old 1985 VCD. I doubt I'll ever see either of those in my lifetime. I do have an issue though, I received the Dawn of the Dead: Conclusion LD (brand new) today, however it was missing the CD. I contacted the company I bought it from, but I doubt they'll have another laying around. Anyone here have a copy? I would love to have a copy of it (hell I paid for it!). Please let me know. Thanks guys.

Paff
06-03-2013, 07:26 PM
I just have the two from Elite. My regular edition (the one on the lower left) was signed by George Romero, Ken Foree, and Tom Savini.

russweiss
06-03-2013, 10:54 PM
Very nice collection Buck. My old roommate (who first introduced me to laserdiscs back in the 80's) has Dawn on laser. I'll have to ask him which version he has.

ekent
06-04-2013, 12:03 AM
I can make you a copy. Incidentally, I recently scored the Conclusion LD set as well which formed like Voltron with my other LD Dawn releases for a true completion! I've got the 4 US releases, the 3 Japanese releases and the 2 German releases. I have the VHD as well ;) The major hole in my collection is the 3 reel Super8 version from Germany. I do have a 5 reel Super8 Italian language version which is the entire Argento cut.

buck135
06-04-2013, 01:44 AM
I can make you a copy. Incidentally, I recently scored the Conclusion LD set as well which formed like Voltron with my other LD Dawn releases for a true completion! I've got the 4 US releases, the 3 Japanese releases and the 2 German releases. I have the VHD as well ;) The major hole in my collection is the 3 reel Super8 version from Germany. I do have a 5 reel Super8 Italian language version which is the entire Argento cut.

Wow man. You've really got me beat. I'm good with these eight. The VCD and the Astro Records discs will probably never be seen again, but I'm cool with that. Thanks for the offer on making the disc, I just saw that it's the same as the Anniversary CD, so I'll let it go. Thanks Ekent for the offer.

buck135
06-04-2013, 01:47 AM
Very nice collection Buck. My old roommate (who first introduced me to laserdiscs back in the 80's) has Dawn on laser. I'll have to ask him which version he has.

Thanks man. I always keep hoping that I'll stumble upon some cut of Dawn with the original ending. Lol. I'm convinced that it's sitting in Richard Rubenstein's attic.

ekent
06-04-2013, 01:58 AM
So no need for the CD then?

I'm always on the hunt so I'll send you a PM if I see the other German LD, or the VHD.

buck135
06-04-2013, 04:24 AM
So no need for the CD then?

I'm always on the hunt so I'll send you a PM if I see the other German LD, or the VHD.

No thanks. I'm good since I have the Goblin anniversary CD which has all of those tracks and more. Thanks though Ekent.

jscott
06-08-2013, 02:01 PM
I recently scored the Conclusion LD set as well which formed like Voltron with my other LD Dawn releases for a true completion! I've got the 4 US releases, the 3 Japanese releases and the 2 German releases. I have the VHD as well ;)

Post a picture of all of your Dawn LD's! Here's my Romero LD collection:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7195/6912553097_50e61421b7_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/profondocinema/6912553097/)
Laserdiscs (http://www.flickr.com/photos/profondocinema/6912553097/) by Profondo Cinema (http://www.flickr.com/people/profondocinema/), on Flickr

Dave
01-06-2014, 12:22 AM
I can get the Dawn conclusion box for 180 delivered.

Worth it?

Seems to be impossible to find. It must fetch some high prices. I suppose I could always sell it.

Is it LBX or P&S? Any unique extras?

buck135
01-06-2014, 01:33 AM
I can get the Dawn conclusion box for 180 delivered.

Worth it?

Seems to be impossible to find. It must fetch some high prices. I suppose I could always sell it.

Is it LBX or P&S? Any unique extras?

I'm fairly certain that it'a LBX. The extras were underwhelming if I recall correctly. $180 delivered is pretty good, just make sure it has the CD. My copy did not come with one.

Dave
06-20-2015, 02:18 PM
I got the Astro Dawn of the Dead disc and I cracked the edge of the disc. Stupid, stupid. I was so pissed. Nearly 20 years of collecting lasers and I have never done something so stupid. I'm torn between trying to find another (almost had one but it was in a group of discs and too expensive) or just living with the damaged disc (likely wouldn't play). Considering I don't have a PAL player, a PAL TV, and don't speak German, I shouldn't care all that much about damaging the disc, but I do. I know it will drive me nuts just knowing about the damaged disc until when/if I replace it. My main draw was for the gatefold jacket (ironic considering it is a single disc release) where the inside has a layout of the mall. Very cool.

buck135
06-20-2015, 03:33 PM
Ugh Dave. That blows. As I said above awhile back, I had a similar situation where I obtained the Conclusion Japanese set, but the soundtrack CD wasn't included. The company I purchased it from gave me a huge discount on my next order, so I picked up the Japanese NOTLD laserdisc (which is gorgeous) for a great price. I know how you feel about the disc. There are only 1000 of those suckers in existence. I had given up ever getting my hands on one years ago. The packaging is the draw with that ld. Don't let it get to you. Like you said, you can't watch that disc anyway (and why would you?).

Myron Breck
06-21-2015, 05:40 PM
Man, all these LD posts recently are really gorgeous. I really don't need another hobby but...

buck135
06-21-2015, 08:26 PM
Man, all these LD posts recently are really gorgeous. I really don't need another hobby but...

They're ridiculously overpriced. Especially the Japanese ones. The company I used to buy from closed shop a couple of years ago which just leaves eBay.

Dave
06-21-2015, 08:47 PM
Yes the prices are crazy. I have the Conclusion box and that is the one that is real tough to find. The perfect collection shows up a lot more, though still very pricey.

Dobby
06-21-2015, 08:53 PM
Yes the prices are crazy. I have the Conclusion box and that is the one that is real tough to find. The perfect collection shows up a lot more, though still very pricey.

What is the difference between those 2 box sets?

buck135
06-21-2015, 11:58 PM
What is the difference between those 2 box sets?

It's been awhile since I've checked. Both are from Japan, thus the writing is all Japanese. The Conclusion set comes with the soundtrack CD. The Perfect Collection has the best packaging imo, however the Conclusion set is no slouch either. I don't recall there being any significant difference between the two, but I have so many damn version of that film on so many different formats, I have no idea what's on what anymore .

Dobby
06-22-2015, 12:16 AM
It's been awhile since I've checked. Both are from Japan, thus the writing is all Japanese. The Conclusion set comes with the soundtrack CD. The Perfect Collection has the best packaging imo, however the Conclusion set is no slouch either. I don't recall there being any significant difference between the two, but I have so many damn version of that film on so many different formats, I have no idea what's on what anymore .

thank you for the info but at $300 no thank you hahaa.
I bet the transfers just look like upscaled Vhs/beta. :lol
Pretty sure there is some nice extras but just too expensive for my tastes.

buck135
06-22-2015, 01:05 AM

The minimal extras and transfers were great at the time. The Japanese LD's have forced subtitles on the right side, but I believe they were the first to feature all three versions of the film. The packaging is the best I've ever seen even to this day. Was it worth $300? No. $100? Absolutely.

Dave
06-22-2015, 08:01 PM
I think I found another copy of the Astro German disc. I will definitely replace it if it pans out. Then I can sell the cracked one on ebay; I'll still probably get $25 or so for it. I'll know next week.

Dave
06-22-2015, 08:04 PM

Well yeah, since laserdisc is 425i and VHS is 250i, it essentially is an upscaled VHS with slightly more resolution.

Never ask LD nuts to explain their obsession! :) My brother thinks I am nuts when I can get a DVD or bluray for a fraction of the price (at least with some of the rare LD releases; many are worthless now). I told him and I will tell you: Some people collect Elvis clocks. I collect laserdiscs!

Having said that, I only have about 100 discs so I keep my obsession in check.

buck135
06-22-2015, 09:01 PM
I told him and I will tell you: Some people collect Elvis clocks. I collect laserdiscs!

The Pez and/or TV Guide collector's always made me nervous. :eek2: