PDA

View Full Version : Contest #3: Supernatural Giveaway

rhett
10-22-2013, 09:09 PM
Seances, Witches and Ghosts, oh my! The supernatural makes up a big part of the horror genre -- it's not just all about regular guys with kitchen knives or chainsaws. For this contest, Anchor Bay and Blue Underground have given us a number of discs for giveaway to one lucky winner. All you have to do is let us know what supernatural horror film is your favorite, and why.[/b]
http://www.horrordigital.com/reviews/contests/om_blu_con.jpg

Seances, Witches and Ghosts, oh my! The supernatural makes up a big part of the horror genre -- it's not just all about regular guys with kitchen knives or chainsaws. For this contest, Anchor Bay and Blue Underground have given us a number of discs for giveaway to one lucky winner. All you have to do is let us know what supernatural horror film is your favorite, and why.

Make one post below telling us your favorite supernatural horror movie and you can win!

http://horrordigital.com/vb3forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6556&stc=1&d=1382468955

The Winner will receive:
Anchor Bay's NOTHING LEFT TO FEAR Blu-ray + DVD Combo
Blue Underground's THE NESTING Blu-ray
Blue Underground's BABA YAGA Blu-ray
Anchor Bay's 5 SOULS DVD

A winner will be randomly selected a week from today on Tuesday, October 29th.

Make a single post in this thread telling us your supernatural horror movie to be entered to win.

Good luck to all the ghoulish contestants...just don't put a hex on me if you don't win!

dave13
10-22-2013, 09:15 PM
I'm going to be completely unoriginal and say The Exorcist. For a movie to still stand up after being watch so many times, it must be something special.

Kim Bruun
10-22-2013, 09:17 PM
Mine would have to be the original Carrie... It's a touching story, thanks to fine acting (particularly from Spacek and Laurie) and character writing - and Pino Donnagio's beautiful music!

Katatonia
10-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Favorite supernatural horror movie? So many choices...

I'll narrow that down to Hauntings/Ghosts/Possession types. I guess it would have to be The Entity, which was frightening the first time I saw it and remains a favorite of mine. A bunch of other films would come close too though.

Workshed
10-22-2013, 09:32 PM
Worth restating the rules :joshua: :

what supernatural horror film is your favorite, and why.

My favorite is The Monster Squad, because it showcases four classic supernatural monsters, the effects work of Stan Winston, and the true-to-their-age dialogue of the kids.

CPT HOOK
10-22-2013, 09:44 PM
Night Of The Demons!

fattyjoe37
10-22-2013, 10:00 PM
An American Werewolf in London. Does a great job of introducing the supernatural into the modern world.

vampyr789
10-22-2013, 10:02 PM
Poltergeist!

rxfiend
10-22-2013, 10:10 PM
Poltergeist. That movie scared the shit out of me as a kid!

zompirejoe
10-22-2013, 10:24 PM
The Exorcist for me, it really scared the shit out of me the first time I saw it and it is still scary to me today. The movie is filled with some great acting and some really creepy special effects.Very powerful film making and some great acting make it all seem very believable. This film defines the demonic possession genre, and is one of the greatest horror films of all time in my opinion.

HoldenMcNeil
10-22-2013, 10:26 PM
The Exorcist III for me. Nothing will beat that hallway scene.

satans-sadists
10-22-2013, 10:46 PM
The Shining (1980) is my favorite supernatural film. Brilliantly directed & photographed. The music is ominous and haunting. I love haunted house films...a haunted hotel is even better. Something that makes this film extra horrific is the thought of being snowbound up in the mountains for the winter with Shelley Duvall.

zbinks
10-22-2013, 11:14 PM
Definitely The Shining. As with most Kubrick films, the replay value is extremely high as each viewing seems to reveal something new.

Anaestheus
10-23-2013, 12:06 AM
First thought was going to be "Shining". But, since it can be argued that there really aren't any ghosts and that it's just bunch of people going nuts in isolation, I'm going to pick something where there are definitely absolutely ghosts involved and go with "Legend of Hell House"

SpaceAce
10-23-2013, 01:49 AM
The Omen. I originally saw it as a kid in the 80s and I remember really enjoying it while being pretty creeped out. I also liked amityville and the exorcist was good (but for some reason never really scared me), but the Omen has some nice memories tied to it so I am going with that.

old-boo-radley
10-23-2013, 01:52 AM
I'll say... The Beyond once more. I suppose that is exactly the reason I like it so much, the film has a little bit of everything and does it all well.

soxfan666
10-23-2013, 01:59 AM
Poltergeist for me! It was the first film I ever saw in theaters. My parents brought me to it and I was only a 3 year old. I was an oops child and my brothers and sister are significantly older than I so that is how I got the nod to attend. I was mesmerized by the film and horror has been my first true love since!

Mutilated Prey
10-23-2013, 02:09 AM
The Shining all the way. I do enjoy a good ghost movie and wish there were more top notch ones. Poltergeist, Paranormal Activity, Changeling, InnKeepers - all good stuff.

Zombie Dude
10-23-2013, 03:01 AM
There's definitely a few very good supernatural horrors that I enjoy. I think I'll have to go with Poltergeist for this comp. It's Just got a lot of heart and never fails to give me tingles.

walkingdude
10-23-2013, 03:03 AM
Shining

spawningblue
10-23-2013, 03:07 AM
The Changeling. I love George C Scott's performance, the creepy atmosphere, the seance scene and of course the scenes with the rubber ball and wheelchair. One of the best and scariest haunting films!

MaxRenn
10-23-2013, 03:24 AM
The Haunting (1963)

msw7
10-23-2013, 03:25 AM
The Devil's Backbone

X-human
10-23-2013, 04:26 AM
The Curse of the Cat People (1944)

It's almost a shame you have to see the first one to truly appreciate the follow up, but it's a fantastic film in every sense of the word. It ranks up there with The Bride of Frankenstein as a sequel.

othervoice1
10-23-2013, 04:59 AM
Oh there are many - but Ill go with The Blair Witch Project just because it scared the crap out of me the first time I watched it and, for me, it still holds up well today. It just had the feel to it like I could imagine that happening to me and some friends.

Rft183
10-23-2013, 05:10 AM
I love Pumpkinhead. The atmosphere is great, the story is great, and the creature is cool!

myhorror
10-23-2013, 05:53 AM
Gonna go with House (1986) one of my all time favorites. Used to scare the shit out of me as a child. I think William Katt and George Wendt are awesome in it.

Undeadcow
10-23-2013, 06:40 AM
The Blair Witch Project

Erick H.
10-23-2013, 07:04 AM
THE SHINING.It creates a mood that is hard to explain but easy to appreciate.A great blending of visuals and audio with the the performances pitched just right.

hellraiser40
10-23-2013, 09:49 AM
there are many, but i'll choose something that's a bit unexpected and i go for Superstition! a strange movie, that puts on much gore during the first 15-20 minutes, then goes for atmospherics and in the last 15-20 minutes it's atmospherics with a bit of gore (and to be honest, i found this movie to be genuinly creepy at times)

bwana the clown
10-23-2013, 12:04 PM
Really gotta pick The Exorcist. Scared the shit out of me as a kid, and still gives me a serious case of the wim-wams. A brilliantly crafted film with amazing makeup fx and great performances from everybody, which makes the whole story unnervingly believable! Will never get tired of it.

dayglo
10-23-2013, 05:24 PM
The Changeling, solid Ghost Story with one of the greats in George C. Scott.

crikan
10-23-2013, 05:30 PM
Carrie. The story really grabs me.

indiephantom
10-23-2013, 06:44 PM
It just has to be The Shining for me. But I'll toss in a runner-up for Christine. Two Stephen King adaptations I'm obsessed with.

Horrorphilly
10-23-2013, 07:30 PM
My favorite supernatural film is Legend Of Hell House. I can remember watching it and getting chill, its a very creepy movie.

sean

17thJuggalo
10-23-2013, 07:44 PM
Gotta go with The Frighteners. Perfect mix of goofball humor and horror. 15 years later the movie still holds up extremely well.

Anthropophagus
10-23-2013, 09:22 PM
Amityville Horror II: The Possession. My parents left me alone one weekend as a child with The Movie Network free preview, I unwisely programmed the vcr and chose to watch and record this. My young mind could not have anticipated a film this traumatizing that of course culminated in such a downbeat, based on true events climax.
An Exorcist rip-off for sure, at least, in its climactic moments but dosed with enough sleaze and originality that it left an indelible impact.
Burt Young and Diane Franklin were great in this too.

shape22
10-23-2013, 11:28 PM
I'm going with Superstition for its un-PC, irreverent tone. Between the over-the-top deaths in the opening scene, the horny young priest, the violence against children, and the awesome runaway saw blade scene it's pretty much wall-to-wall fun.

jstell
10-24-2013, 12:10 AM
Curse/Night of the Demon (1957) - My fave '50s horror film. Incredibly suspenseful with a great villain and uber-cool monster.

muceo13
10-24-2013, 12:13 AM
The Shining. No matter how many times I watch it, there is always something new to discover.

Ptflea2
10-24-2013, 01:25 AM
Night of the Demons because there is a line that states "eat a bowl of fuck."

Gizmo
10-24-2013, 04:06 AM
My all time favorite is Trilogy of Terror starring Karen Black. She has died but will not be forgotten. I watch these often, because they are so entertaining! This movie has 3 different stories and the last one (my favorite)was Karen Black with a Voodoo doll in her apartment. The doll loses the chain around him,which kept the spirit of someone imprisoned. Anyway the doll comes to life and chases her around the apartment. I saw this when I was a kid and it really did scare the hell out of me, had me looking under the bed for a long time!

thrashard76
10-24-2013, 04:31 AM
Insidious

By my own standards, I'd say I'm a rather jaded horror fan when it comes to these kinds of movies. I've seen gory, deprived, creepy, comedic and almost everything in between. It wasn't until I kept hearing about this sleeper title Insidious that everyone kept talking about that finally peeked my interest to see just what all the fuss was about. I rarely whence, or cringe at scenes but when it came to this movie I jumped several times throughout and had chills during certain parts of the movie. This movie gave me that old feeling again, like it did when I first started watching horror movies.

streetlight
10-24-2013, 06:08 AM
I've always loved Dark Night Of The Scarecrow because of the cornfield, small town, country atmosphere. It draws me in to the story

chancetx
10-24-2013, 06:34 AM
I'll go with another Karen Black classic: "Burnt Offerings." Saw it at a very young age and it really got under my skin. I think it was the son's death by chimney - he wasn't much older than I was at the time and I'd never seen a movie that would kill off a little kid. That and the roughhousing with dad that got out of control. My dad and I would play like that all the time and it was a scary idea that he might cross a line and actually try to hurt me.

Ash28M
10-24-2013, 06:34 AM
I'll have to go with Carrie.

highclassrob
10-24-2013, 02:03 PM
The shining. It's infinitely rewatchable, no matter what Stephen king says.

Zillamon51
10-24-2013, 05:39 PM
The original A Nightmare on Elm Street. Freddy's schtick may be well known now, but I can only imagine how scary this must have been during its original theatrical run. The combination of slasher and supernatural elements works wonderfully. It's a truly iconic horror film that spawned a long-running franchise.

This is such a wide-ranging category that there are plenty of runner-ups (or is it runners-up?): The Fog, Evil Dead 1 & 2, Fulci's City of the Living Dead aka The Gates of Hell (which I prefer over his more widely-acclaimed The Beyond), Halloween III, Paranormal Activity 1 - 3, and of course The Exorcist and The Omen.

booper71
10-24-2013, 07:46 PM
Alison's Birthday, one of my quiet favorites. About a girl who is lured by a cult to have a body transfer. Joan Samuel was in Mad Max, definitely wanted to see more of her.

Ninjalo
10-25-2013, 02:51 AM
I have to go with Rob Zombie's The Lords of Salem. Zombies best movie to date, and a complete mind fuck.

BroodingHope
10-25-2013, 03:18 PM
My favorite supernatural horror movie is definitely The Entity. While I think it shows some wear over the years the impact that it had on me as a child will forever remain.

AndresG
10-25-2013, 08:11 PM
Gotta go with The Entity, one of my all time fave horror movies, by far :)

Jack Grendel
10-26-2013, 07:15 AM
I'm choosing The Blair Witch Project for a multiple of reasons, first it's one of the first found footage movies. Second the media campaign for this film was great, the mockumentary they made almost had me convinced that this film was real. And the third reason I picked this movie is just on first viewing this movie was very unique and made me believe in the characters and their plight. The actors brought a authenticity to their parts. The directors brought a fresh perspective to a genre that would become bogged down in endless entries and contrived concepts.

HrdcorECW1637
10-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Night of the Demons! Love the lipstick!

evildeadfan123
10-26-2013, 02:58 PM
Have to go with the 1982 remake of Cat People. Me, my brother, and our Mom saw it when it was originally released. It has atmosphere, gorgeous scenery of New Orleans, and that both Malcolm McDowell's and Nastassha Kinski characters, Paul & Irena, must make love to each other, in order not to turn into a black cat. And when Paul makes an advance towards Irena, she doesn't think that Paul is her brother at all. I actually quite enjoy this movie, and actually revisited the movie just 2 weeks ago, and when it comes out in January 2014 on Blu-Ray, I'm going to purchase it. For me, this brings back memories of my mother, who was a horror fan, and my mom was the one that got me started on my love of horror films.

Suicide
10-29-2013, 01:06 AM
It's hard to pick a favorite, but if demon movies count, then Demons. The disgusting and inventive gore effects, soundtrack and Tony the Pimp make it highly rewatchable.

Christy
10-29-2013, 01:22 AM
Blair Witch Project 2 guilty pleasure of mine.

ZoSo
10-29-2013, 05:17 AM
The Omen

gyhorrorfan07
10-29-2013, 06:04 AM
I'll go with Poltergeist. It's an effective ghost film, a fairy tale and a classic of the horror genre.

shithead
10-29-2013, 07:16 AM
Gotta go with The Exorcist.

MrTransistor1
10-29-2013, 07:59 PM
The Exorcist III directed by William Peter Blatty. Blew me away when I saw in the theatre originally.

rhett
10-30-2013, 08:30 AM
Contest is closed, thanks for all the submissions. Lots of love for The Shining, Poltergeist, The Changeling and The Exorcist in this category, and all definitely deserving.

The winner was randomly selected and it is...

crikan

Congrats! Send me a PM with your name and address and I'll have the package out by the end of the week.

One last contest coming up, I'll wait for the morning to launch it since it'll be a bit different...

indiephantom
10-30-2013, 01:12 PM
Congrats to crikan!

Rft183
10-30-2013, 05:55 PM
Congratulations crikan!

Workshed
10-30-2013, 06:13 PM
yeah, crikan!!

spawningblue
11-07-2013, 08:36 PM
Congrats!