PDA

View Full Version : Roan's Blood and Black Lace LD

jscott
02-06-2002, 01:26 AM
Just won the Roan Group's Blood & Black Lace LD on Ebay for $6.99 + shipping. I've never seen the film, but I want to increase my Bava collection (love the Mask of Satan, BTW). Is this a good transfer? Or will I be hunting down the DVD?

bigdaddyhorse
02-06-2002, 06:55 AM
I can't speak of the transfer since I haven't seen it.
If you do go hunting the dvd (which I have seen, and it looks good) I have advice.
While Best Buy is usually cheaper than Media Play/Sam Goodie/Suncoast, this disc is an exception. $27.99 at BB, $11.99 at MP.

Paff
02-06-2002, 05:22 PM
I haven't seen it either, but all the Roan Group LDs I have are top-notch, and if the DVDs are better, it's not by much.
Enjoy

wago70
02-06-2002, 05:34 PM
It's not the best transfer...but it came from a 16mm source. The DVD is, however, the superior version - I found the LD to have a sort of foggy look in some shots (that wasn't on the DVD or the Media tape) and the reds tend to bleed a little.
You still made a good purchase - the film is terrific and the LD is the first successful attempt by a company to get the film noticed. I think it would be wise to have the LD and the DVD (why not?). You got a good deal for $6.99 - the LD was originally $50. Good purchase for a great film.

jscott
02-06-2002, 05:48 PM
Damn. I'm a little disapointed from wago's description. However,
like I said, I've never seen this film, so if I don't get off on it, then no harm done. I figured it would look good, just because my Roan "Bird with the Crystal Plumage" LD looks great. Who put out the DVD? Image?

Jason25
02-06-2002, 06:15 PM
The dvd was put out by VCI

wago70
02-07-2002, 06:25 PM
Awww. It doesn't look terrible, just not great and nowhere near the nice laserdisc sheen Roan gave the Argento films (which STILL look great to this day). Roan is/was good, though and they did the best they could with whatever materials they got. The only Roan release that had me scratching my head was called PYRO - kinda looked like one of those classroom "scare" films they showed you in grade school.
I actually watch the LD of Blood and Black Lace more than I do the DVD.

wago70
02-12-2002, 12:28 AM
jscott: post a review when you watch the disc, 'kay?

jscott
02-12-2002, 07:17 AM
Sure thing. I just got notified that it's shipping out tomorrow. Should have it by the weekend. Thanks for all the info guys.

jscott
02-15-2002, 02:16 AM
Finally got it today. But since it's Valentine's Day, my wife doesn't see it being suitible material for tonight's festivities (which are the same as every night, getting loaded & sitting on the couch watching films/and/or TV). But, I was able to pop it in to check for rot, and there is a semi-constant speckle throughout both sides of the disc (extremely noticable in the outdoor-night scenes in the beginning). Wago70, does your LD look the same? I don't know if it's rot or not, just because I haven't seen any speckles in the matte bars on top & bottom. Then again, I haven't watched it from start to finish, so I really won't know untill you chime in, especially since you have the DVD as well. If your Laserdisc is speckle-free, I'll probably give this one to my Dad and hunt down the DVD.
However, the scenes I did let play out looked f-ing awesome! My wife took one look at the screen and said "Which Argento film is this? Doesn't look familiar." I am hoping the wife goes to bed early, so I can take in some of this before the weekend.

wago70
02-15-2002, 07:25 PM
Speckles show up on my LD too, but they are not seen at all in the black bars and have not gotten any worse since I bought the disc some four years ago. Never had a rot problem with Roan discs (knock on plastic).
I'm glad you liked this disc - I watch mine a lot and I love the picture (I was harsh in my review, but you know...). I think it's a keeper.

jscott
02-15-2002, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by wago70
Speckles show up on my LD too

What about the DVD? Speckle free? If so, I'm buying it. If not, I'll be happy.

DavidHess
02-16-2002, 12:08 AM
I believe that the Roan laserdisc was made from film elements that were inferior to the dvd and there were actually a number of shots that were lost and could not be found for the LD but were eventually restored for the dvd.

I don't know, just what I've heard from reading Tim Lucas' posts on various web boards...

wago70
02-19-2002, 06:34 PM
DavidHess, you're right - thanks for clearing that up - I watched the LD version again since all this talk spurred me to this giallo classic. What a great film. Thank heaven for these companies that are releasing these films on DVD (and laser) - makes you realize there is life beyond the bland Hollywood thrillers.