PDA

View Full Version : Rosemary's Baby (WS) - Rare?

Paff
02-06-2002, 09:12 PM
This past weekend I was in a used video shop, one that had NEVER carried laserdiscs in the past. Well, on the shelf were around a dozen LDs in absolutely gorgeous condition. Most were useless titles, but I did find a mint widescreen remastered edition of Rosemary's Baby.

I've looked it up, and can find ZERO info on this release. The only one they talk about on LD is an old pan-and-scan job. This one has a manufacture date of 1998, towards the end of LD. I'm wondering if I have a real rare LD. Anyone heard of this disc before?

But don't anyone ask for my copy, 'cause I'm holding on to it....

Dave
02-06-2002, 09:16 PM
It's not rare, at least not now. It may have been prior to the DVD release. I've seen it on ebay from time to time - doesn't sell for all that much.

Not as rare as say...Frighteners Signature Collection LD :) Which I'm going to be selling in a month or so.

Paff
02-06-2002, 10:57 PM
Well, I knew it wasn't THAT rare...

But there were two things I noticed:
One, all the copies I saw on E-bay were the old pan-and-scan. Hell, I've held that one in my hand, then decided I'll just spend the extra $$$ for the widescreen DVD. I never even knew a widescreen remastered LD was even done..

Two, the rarest of LDs are ironically the ones produced the last few years of the format, especially 98 and 99. Wasn't The Frighteners done around that time, maybe 97?
But it was in 98 or so that they started producing more DVDs, and the LDs were almost all special orders: I.E., they'd announce a title, get a pre-order quanitity, then make just that many LDs.

It's funny, some 20-year old LD is practically worthless, but something recent like The Matrix is a highly sought-after LD. Go figure...

Dave
02-07-2002, 12:48 AM
The Frighteners SE LD was released in November 1998.

But you are absolutely right, once DVD took hold, Image and Pioneer only pressed enough lasers to fill preorders. I actually looked into getting a repressing of The Frighteners SE LD. I even talked to Pioneer directly. They told me it would take 500 reorders for them to be able to do a repressing, and that they only received 250.

Many collectors wanted the Matrix LD because they believe LD has superior sound over DVD. Even though a DVD existed with identical supplements, many people wanted that superior sound. In the case of The Frighteners, no DVD exists. Even if there is ever a DVD, I'd bet anything the 4.5 hr documentary is cut down to 2 hrs minimum.

bigdaddyhorse
02-07-2002, 06:41 AM
Where can I help on reorders?
I guess I'd have to be a retailer.
How much are you tryin to get for your copy?
You puttin it on ebay, or offering it up here?

Dave
02-07-2002, 12:51 PM
It's far too late for reorders on Frighteners. US LD production, and even Japanese LD production, has stopped.

The only reason I'm selling mine is to get some hard cash. I doubt anyone here can afford it. I'm going to put it up on ebay. I did notice a set sold for $150 on ebay recently - much less than what I'm hoping to get. That person had no description or scans, however, so that probably didn't help them. Hoping to get at least $200 for it.

wago70
02-07-2002, 06:34 PM
Don't be surprised to see me bidding on that Frighteners SE. I kick myself for letting that one go when it came out. There it was sitting on the shelf at Virgin and I passed on it thinking a DVD was going to come out - what a d.a. I was and I have been regretting it ever since.
Rosemary's Baby Letterboxed edition came out in '97 I think and it looked great on LD (the DVD is a tad sharper, but they are similar to mine eyes).
Rare? Hard to say - but if I had the chance to buy it, I would.

MISFITZ
02-07-2002, 07:01 PM
I doubt anyone here can afford it.

Ha! Don't paint all of us with that dirty brush. Yeah, there's a bunch of whinney kids here crying over spilled milk, but not all of us. I can afford it, but I don't wanna pay $200+ for the Frightners. ;)

I have started seeing a lot of DISNEY BOX sets out on e-bay that are getting pretty high dollar ($120 - $150). Man, Disney's LD box sets are how box sets should be done!!! When you bought a LD box set of a disney film, you had an investment not just a movie with an insert and shit.

Mario77
02-13-2002, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Paff
This past weekend I was in a used video shop, one that had NEVER carried laserdiscs in the past. Well, on the shelf were around a dozen LDs in absolutely gorgeous condition. Most were useless titles, but I did find a mint widescreen remastered edition of Rosemary's Baby.

I've looked it up, and can find ZERO info on this release. The only one they talk about on LD is an old pan-and-scan job. This one has a manufacture date of 1998, towards the end of LD. I'm wondering if I have a real rare LD. Anyone heard of this disc before?

But don't anyone ask for my copy, 'cause I'm holding on to it....

Paff, I had that laserdisc - I bought it when it came out. I sold it about a year ago on ebay for $28.00
Not sure what it's going for lately.
Very nice picture on that disc.