PDA

View Full Version : Good Dubs or Bad Scam?!?

MISFITZ
02-18-2002, 07:46 PM
I mentioned this before, but I felt I'd bring it back up. And i'd rather bring it up here where the convo's and replies don't turn into a big 'hissy' fit or bitch session. LOL!!!

I'm not sure how many of you freaks participated in this or even knew it exisited, but COLUMBIA HOUSE used to have the 9 Laser Disc for $1 thing going. The laser Disc club. It worked just like the CD thing worked. You buy a certain amount for a dollar and then just buy 2 more within 2 years and stuff at full price.

Also, if you referred a friend you got 2 free disc.

I used to get a ton of LD's that way. I'd sign up fake names, and refer fake friends and so forth. It was a beauty!!!

But here's where I feel I may have the YOLK on me.

Are the Laser Disc (or now the DVDs they press) the same quality as originals?? I know with digital format, it is easy to get a PERFECT transfer. But for Laser Disc i'm not so sure.

And even then, what do they do for quality control? Some of the packaging I've gotten from Columbia House seems 'cheaper' than from the retailer. I've had about 4 disc from them rot on me too. The package paper seems slightly thinner. The disc has a different 'weight' to it. (so it seems??)

I wanna know how much a COLUMBIA HOUSE product may differ from the one's I bought from Media Play or Incredible Universe?

If anyone has a link to another message board or has some input, i'd be interested to know.

Just wondering, cuz looking at what's left of my laser disc collection, I keep wondering if Karma will come back to haunt me... and give me exactly what i paid for.... :(

Paff
02-18-2002, 08:31 PM
Hmmm...there was never that many places that pressed LDs to begin with, so I doubt they were using sub-standard LDs...

A friend of mine was a Columbia House LD clubber, and never had any problems. He did get some rotters, but those were discs that were prone to rot no matter where you bought them from (like The Shawshank Redemption)

Instead of comparing where you bought them from, compare who manufactured and printed the disc. Some companies were a little thin on their packaging...

jscott
02-19-2002, 02:05 AM
My Father has every episode of the original Star Trek series on laserdisc, which came from Columbia House. He has never had one single problem with any of the discs (which were released by Paramount). However, I am almost positive that Columbia House only pressed LD's for Columbia/Tri Star Pictures (my home town has a Columbia House Plant, with a Digital Disc Pressing Plant across the street, but now they only press DVD & CD's).

wago70
02-19-2002, 05:46 PM
No worries - you got the discs everyone else got, I'm sure. I don't think Columbia ever had a lesser quality item to distribute to anyone...I got some great discs from them back in the day: most of the Elite classic horror films, studio stuff...good films. Sad thing is, I joined them right when LD was on the decline and didn't get most of the stuff I saw listed as being available at the time (box sets,ect.). I wasn't obligated to finish my sign up requirements before they folded, so there is one whole priced item I didn'thave to pay for:D !
Can anyone here actually recommend the DVD programme at Columbia? I know the actual full-price items are pricey (they add taxes AND overpriced shipping to 'em).

MISFITZ
02-19-2002, 07:05 PM
From what I can tell, the DVD membership seems like you'll pay too much, easily. Most of the disc they have on 'special' or whatever, are really high.

bigdaddyhorse
02-21-2002, 01:28 AM
The Colubia House offer used to be worth it, but due to recent price drops and titles not available anymore, it doesn't seem to be now. I have heard you can still get the Scarface dvd from em, but that might be gone too.