PDA

View Full Version : You're recent Laserdisc viewings:

wago70
02-19-2002, 06:52 PM
What has been keeping your LD machine busy as of late? Notice anything special that the DVD format didn't replicate? Any forgotten classics float your boat?

Paff
02-19-2002, 07:17 PM
Good question...

let's see, last few LDs I've spun are Rosemary's Baby, The Poseidon Adventure (THX) and Theater of Blood.
A lot of my Anime is LD, so the recent episodes of Moldiver and Vampire Princess Miyu I watched were also of the big disc variety.

Finally, in my film class, we have both VHS and LD, but I always bring my copies of the LDs whenever possible 'cause the instructor usually only has the stupid video tapes. So last week we all watched my copy of The Godfather. Nice disc...

MISFITZ
02-19-2002, 08:16 PM
I recently just bought: (last week)

GOD TOLD ME TO - Elite

and

MARK OF THE DEVIL - Elite

Haven't watched them yet other than to just test to see that they work. I've seen the movies before, just not on LASER DISC. And I don't think i've seen this version of MARK OF THE DEVIL, which states (like every other version) that it is UNCUT.

However, the picture on the Elite was sharp from the opening scene. I had last seen it on a very bad dub from I think Gorgon video... I THINK!!!!

Been trying to get the laser disc of CALIGULA but the auctions have been ending at like $26, and I don't think I want to pay that much for that film. There's freaks goin nuts over the dvd version. Mainly cuz of the OOP status. I laugh at that shit. Like these are comic books.

But if anyone has Caligula (obviously the blue UNCUT version) on Laser disc, and can drop it for less than $26, i'm interested TODAY.

Same with Laser disc copies of FIRE and ICE.

Saw a guy sell his 'uncut' ALICE SWEET ALICE on LD for 99 cents!! I was gonna snag it for the hell of it, but he closed the auction early.

Was also about to buy Q-the winged serpent on LD but half.com had the dvd version CHEAPER!!! ($6.50) It's big time bare bones, but i'm sure an exact copy of the laser disc. Except I don't have to have the movie stopped midway through to flip sides.

bigfreak
02-19-2002, 10:01 PM
The last LD I've watched was Lost Highway (again).

jscott
02-19-2002, 10:46 PM
Other than Blood & Black Lace (which I will be replacing with the DVD), my Japanese version of Dellamorte Dellamore gets tons of play, along with my Elite Day of the Dead disc (my favorite film of the moment to fall asleep to).

Paff
02-19-2002, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by MISFITZ

But if anyone has Caligula (obviously the blue UNCUT version) on Laser disc, and can drop it for less than $26, i'm interested TODAY.

Ross' Exchange has a copy, but he wants $35 for it.

However, his trade-in policy is VERY generous, so if you have some DVDs, LDs, or CDs you don't want, you can probably get it for nothing or next to nothing

http://www.rossexchange.com

MISFITZ
02-19-2002, 11:26 PM
Thanks Paff.

However after talkin' to them on the phone, it seems like I'll end up paying more just for shipping.

I told her the films I was willing to trade for which were "TAXI DRIVER CRITEREON(sp?)", and THE LION KING and she told me they were 'very picky' on the condition of the disc and that it has to be tested, etc... which i totally understand and is reasonable.

But she said those titles wouldn't help too much because of demand and there is the whole shipping cost I may end up eating.

I dunno, as soon as i said "Houston" i don't think she was interested. ?? :(

Thanks anyway...

I actually almost won one on e-bay for $22 today. (dvd) But at this time, I just don't see myself wanting to spend more than that $22-$26 range for this film.

Thanks again!

wago70
02-20-2002, 12:30 AM
Yesterday, I watched:
The Stendahl Syndrome, Wild Wild Planet and Danger: Diabolik. Great films all around. Actually Planet and Diabolik make a great double feature - I can just see them playing together at the drive-in. And the picture quality on both of those widescreen discs are great considering their sources must have been less than stellar.

Demon
02-20-2002, 08:13 AM
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Elite) is the only one I've watched recently, very nice disc though.

Dave
02-20-2002, 05:02 PM
I watched THEM last weekend, which isn't on DVD. Used to watch it all the time as a kid. I just sold it on HTF for $30.00. Didn't see myself watching it again anytime soon, and I'm sure it'll hit DVD someday.

Egg_Shen
02-20-2002, 06:55 PM
The last Laserdisc I looked at was "The Thing From Another World". Nice disc that certainly is NOT on DVD.

SINoBYTE
02-28-2002, 09:33 AM
i recently had to explain to my nephews(ages: 12, 10, & 5.) what laserdiscs are. I did this by sitting them down in front of the 53" and showing them a laserdisc, and proceeded to have them watch Star Wars,Empire, & Jedi...they now dig lasers -lol

Mortado
02-28-2002, 11:48 AM
I watched "The Omega Man" last week.

wago70
02-28-2002, 06:11 PM
They're not "traditional" horror films, but my machine was busy with the Criterion editions of Pink Flamingos and Polyester.
Also, I scored a mint condition laser of I Married a Monster From Outer Space (only $10!!!!!) - the picture on it is pretty good and no sign of laser rot. I have a feeling this may come out on DVD when we least expect it (of course, we're talking Paramount here and it won't have any extras...do they NOT realize that the format allows for these things and that there is life beyond SP/EP tapes?????)

laserdogg
03-01-2002, 03:06 AM
Hellraiser III, The Black Robe.

Philzilla
03-01-2002, 03:32 AM
The Empire Strikes Back

MISFITZ
03-01-2002, 07:00 PM
Last night watched INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE on LD. I like the movie, though I know there are lots of people who have a beef with it, esp w/ Tom Cruise. Whatever... :rolleyes:

But damn, I am still smokin on Ebay.

Dead beat bidders BEWARE!

I am contacting your seller and paying a lower price for your disc that YOU WON because you don't know how to honor your agreement.

MY WIN... YOUR LOSS!!!
By the way, just stay off E-bay and don't bid if you can't pay! I really don't see how anyone can be that stupid???

The clean up man just stole these 2 GREAT (Elite) Laser Disc from those suckerz!!!!

TOMBS OF THE BLIND DEAD
RETURN OF THE EVIL (Blind) DEAD

Also an update on my Caligula search, just bought the UNRATED DVD for $7.99 (plus shipping) NEVER OPENED!!!!

Add that to my recent LD wins of MARK OF THE DEVIL and GOD TOLD ME TO and it's been a great way to end the month of February. The most action in the Laser Disc category for me in long time!!

Also it just reminds me of how good Elite was to horror. I mean, they not only tell you what's in the film, they explain why they used a certain aspect ratio matte, what source the footage is from and all kinds of shit. (at least on most Laser Discs)

Makes me remember how movie collecting was before all the posers jumped in. :p

MISFITZ
03-01-2002, 07:08 PM
Actually, i take that back. i won the Return of the Blind Dead. (but, I got a freebie i think they overlooked... ;) Shhhh!)

Anyways,

I know Anchor bay has a double feature disc of these films on DVD. (Tombs of the blind dead and return of the blind dead) The first film is subtitled on the dvd. And the second film has the dubbed voices on the dvd. And a few frames missing from the film, though I don't think anything to cry over about. (on the DVD)

Has anyone compared these 2 versions, or have read any reviews of the LD copies??

I'm wondering what sources AB used for their DVD. The Elite disc pimpz that they are UNCUT. I'm wondering how much difference (in quality, sound, audio tracks, etc...) the 2 versionz may differ. thanx!!

Paff
03-01-2002, 10:00 PM
A LOT of the early Anchor Bay DVDs were Elite LD ports, and usually inferior. Don't know about Blind Dead, but many of the early Hammers AB put out were just copied from the Elite and Roan discs...

I've been active on E-bay too...my latest acquistions were The Hidden Fortress (CAV box set), and DTS versions of Daylight, Strange Days, and Boogie Nights. I'm dying to hear if DTS Laser is all it's cracked up to be...

Dave
03-02-2002, 11:22 PM
I'm dying to hear if DTS Laser is all it's cracked up to be...

It is. I used to have quite a few of them. I sold them off, but my CLD-D704 does have DTS output, so I'm considering picking up a few of the better ones.

Some of the great ones I had: True Lies, Titanic, Blade. Unfortunately, many of them go for a mint now.

I also heard Firestorm DTS LD is unbelievable. While the movie may suck, I just bought the DTS LD off ebay to add to my collection.

wago70
03-04-2002, 05:58 PM
Happy Birthday to Me (1981) - I picked this up in the bargain LD bin at a used record store for only $7.00.
Expecting the worse in terms of quality, I'm proud to say the LD is decent picture and color and not a sign of laserrot considering the early manufaturing date (early '80's). However, I can say the Japanese LD looked better and the artwork is sheener as well. Seeing the title letters in Japanese makes it look so...wicked. I rented the Japanese disc a coupla years ago from a video store that JUST got rid of their LD's. *Sigh* I wish I had known...
The Japanese LD had better reds but other colors seemed a tad muted. The subtitles are a tad on the large size, however. The American LD has too-yellow of hue tint and the reds bleed a little bit.
I would LOVE to see a re-mastered version of this with ALL the TV spots I remember when the film came out.
Anyone else like this film?