PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered The Beyond LE tin - will I like the film??

Jon Robertson
04-22-2001, 11:58 PM
Never seen it, always intrigued though, and with my new found love for AB's tins, I thought I'd plunk down $25 and get the big ol' tin.

Is the film really all that good (please don't spoil anything though, but feel free to describe the movie's, uh, charms)?

Zombie Keeper
04-23-2001, 12:45 AM
Fulci's zombies are terrific in this one. The story, while a bit shaky, is solid for the most part. Great camera work and some of the best gore ever put to film.

I own this tin and recommend (the movie) it to all fans of zombie films.

Jeremy
04-23-2001, 01:13 AM
I just picked this DVD up too, the regular edition though, not the tin, after having it on my "to buy" list since October (so many DVDs, so little disposable income). It's a very good movie, it's got some spectacular atmosphere and there's plenty of blood 'n' guts, even though it's not my favorite Fulci film (that honor goes to Zombie, with The Gates of Hell close behind).

Paff
04-23-2001, 01:47 AM
I was unimpressed with The Beyond, but I'm openly not a Fulci fan.

It does start out well, but then turns into an incomprehensible mess. The camera lingers on the murders far too long, thus losing most if any impact. The murders themselves seem "thrown in" just to nod the viewer awake. And some of those seem unintentionally hilarious.

Like I said, I'm not a Fulci fan. If you are, then you'll love this movie and should just disregard everything I've said. But if you found Zombie and City of the Living Dead excruciatingly dull (like I did), then you might want to re-consider.

However, the Anchor Bay disc is a exceptionally well done one, with a lot of fantastic extras. And that's not even the tin version I'm talking about. I didn't like the movie, but I'll sure tip my hat to Anchor Bay for the love they put into it.

jak
04-23-2001, 02:31 AM
I'm a Fulci fan and I love The Beyond! Its my #1 favorite horror film. To Paff: I'm perfectly fine that someone doesn't like Fulci, Eurohorror is not for everyone. But just to correct you Anchor Bay DID NOT DO THOSE EXTRA'S! Grindhouse Releasing spent 5 years tracking down those extra's! So give credit where credit is due. jak

vroberts
04-23-2001, 03:12 AM
Hey, I also payed 25 bucks for the tin, and I am very happy with it. it looks great beside of other tins. I had never seen a Fulci movie, and this was my first one. I was somewhat happy with the movie the first time I saw it. Then I went back and checked out the extras, then watched the movie again. I was much impressed with it the second time around. The book it comes with is very cool also, and it will help you enjoy the movie a little better, atleast I did.

Jason25
04-23-2001, 03:25 AM
How can anyone who is a true horror fan not like Fulci films? Oh well, can't please everyone.

An excellent film, my second favorite Fulci film behind House By The Cemetery. Wonderful pacing, atmosphere, and gore. Definitely one to own.

Darkman
04-23-2001, 04:43 AM
I have the tin (EXCELLENT to put your cookies on!), and the movie itself is very amusing. It's not Fulci's best, but the DVD's worth every penny. The commentary track is funny as heck, the extras are amusing (the only thing I hated was that damn crappy death metal band), and the easter eggs are pretty nice (check the Cat in the Brain hidden trailer!).

Mark Relford
04-23-2001, 05:46 AM
Fulci's da shit. It's good to know that others love his films.
The Beyond is worth owning. (Tin or regular.) It's one top-notch disc. I found this film to be strange and captivating. Recommended.

Darkman
04-23-2001, 05:48 AM
If you want to save some bucks, purchase the regular version. The tin one is cool, but it's hard to store and the only added value are the booklet and the miniposters.

Jon Robertson
04-23-2001, 08:03 AM
Well, Darkman, I'm all for saving bucks, but the cover art of the tin version is so completely wonderful, I couldn't live with myself if I bought the standard one.

Darkman
04-23-2001, 08:57 AM
Well, in THIS case, you're going to have tremendous joy with the Tin Edition. Not only the gorgeous cover art is included inside, but also eight different posters from various countries.

piggwinn
04-23-2001, 02:35 PM
"The Beyond" is a must have for any horror fan. I would highly recommend the Fulci book "Beyond Terror" (Fab Press). Awesome is an understatement, very useful reference for all the discs of recent.
It gives you a different outlook on the various movies.
For instance, if you watch the scene towards the end, where David Warbeck and Catriona MacColl enter the lift whilst shooting the zombies. Just before the lift door closes, Warbeck puts the bullit down the barrel and MacColl visibly laughs looking at him.
The book explains that their was a dispute from Warbeck that his character had already established that the zombies die from a head shot, so why would he keep wasting bullits on body shots.
I like bits of imformation like this, especialy with the Italians haphazard methods, and time constraints.

Paff
04-23-2001, 06:26 PM
I'm most definitely not trying to start a fight here in what's so far been an upbeat happy Lucio Fulci love-in, but it IS possible to be a "true horror fan" and a "Eurohorror fan" and still not enjoy the films of Lucio Fulci.

There are many (including those in the Eurohorror ranks) that have openly referred to Fulci as a "talentless hack". And even though I'm not a fan of his work, I wouldn't use that term myself, though I can see where it comes from. I enjoy (some) Eurohorror quite a bit, but I still see Fulci as a step down in class from the likes of Argento and Bava. And I'm sure that any REAL Fulci lover is well-aware of the backlash he gets (got) even from his own peers. Personally, I think that part of Fulci's appeal to his fans is directly due to some of the bashing he got over his career.

I'm not criticizing those of you who enjoy Fulci. Hell, I'm jealous that you can find pleasure in watching those movies. And no one here criticized my personal tastes either, that's the respect I typically see on this board. All I'm saying is that someone can be a horror fan, and a Eurohorror fan, and still find Fulci bland and banal. I'm certainly not the only one who feels this way (though maybe the only one in this thread that does...)

AceRimRat
04-23-2001, 08:58 PM
I was a relative newcomer to Euro-horror when I dropped a dime or 200 on The Beyond, and I loved it. My intro to Fulci was NYR, and although I didn't much go for Zombie or COTLD, I really enjoyed The Beyond, especially for its atmosphere and overall creepy feeling. As a general rule, I prefer Argento (not the newer stuff), but unlike some of Fulci's stuff I've seen (including NYR, still my fave), The Beyond really is more than just a gore-fest. (Not that there's anything wrong with gore-fests, but this is a gore-fest that rises above the norm, IMHO.)

indiephantom
04-24-2001, 03:09 AM
I like THE BEYOND and all of Fulci's films I've seen. Although I think DON'T TORTURE A DUCKLING and ZOMBIE are a bit tedious to sit through. I know I'm in the minority but I like THE NEW YORK RIPPER the best. I thought it was also the cleanest Fulci transfer to DVD. THE BEYOND has a great 5.1 soundtrack though. It really adds to the thrills.

Zombie Keeper
04-24-2001, 07:07 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Regardless of what anyone says, I'm a fan of the mans work and own all of Anchor Bay's Fulci collection on DVD.

I can wait for the upcoming The Black Cat, House by the Cemetery, and Manhattan Baby. June can't come any faster!

Jason25
04-25-2001, 05:02 AM
Paff, relax man, I'm not trying to get you going. I respect your opinions and I know you are very knowledgeable based on your posts that I have read.

I was merely expressing an opinion and I can accept the fact that not everyone likes or loves Fulci. I do think you are incorrect however when you rate both Bava and Argento higher than Fulci. Out of curiosity, have you ever watched Don't Torture a Duckling? This certainly compares as good as or better than any Argento or Bava film that I have ever seen, and I love both Bava and Argento.

I stick with my opinions, and please don't expect me to agree with you on this one. Fulci is my favorite director and I will always air my opinions as to why he is underrated.

BTW - People can bash him all they want, that doesn't affect my stance, I actually appreciate what his visions were.

Paff
04-25-2001, 06:27 PM
Actually, I think I'm being pretty calm here. I'm debating a subject rationally, and no one's getting personal or cheap. Life is a lot more fun when you DON'T agree on everything, and it leads to interesting discussions, at least if everyone's mature about it (which on this board is about 95% of the time).

If you'll read up a few posts, you'll see your own "serious horror fan" comment, along with someone else's "Eurohorror is not for everyone". Now, I was reading this, and I look over at my sizeable collection of horror movies on DVD and Laserdisc, a good percentage of which are European, and you'll see why I felt a response was neccessary.

And I'm not trying to change anyone's view of Lucio Fulci. Like I said, if you enjoy his work, more power to ya. I wish I could derive the same enjoyment from his films. But I don't, and I think I can rationally explain why I don't. Then you all can explain why you like his films. That's debate. It's fun.

Now, as far as Don't Torture a Duckling goes, I actually want to see this movie. In fact, I'll probably go add it to my Netflix queue when I'm done with this post. So far, the only Fulci film I found somewhat enjoyable was New York Ripper. Even though I found the "70s cop show" motif to be a poor imitation of the similarly used style in Argento's Tenebrae, I though then when Fulci sticks to the "rules" of the Giallo genre, he makes a more competent film. Thus, I do believe Duckling would not leave as bad a taste in my mouth as The Beyond.

I still have no problems discussing my dislike of The Beyond. Many Fulci fans use the word "masterpiece" when talking about it, and I'm pretty sure it overwhelmingly won the poll on this web-site of "Favorite Fulci film". (Am I right about that?) So to me, this is my way of pointing out that the Emperor is naked (at least in my view).
I do think there were some really good concepts in The Beyond, but they just went totally unexplored. The hotel was creepy as hell. So why do some of the most important scenes take place in libraries, morgues, or the hospital? And why not make the gate to Hell itself a little more defined, rather than something accidently opened by a plumber? Why not use passages from the Eibon to open it up? (this was made before The Evil Dead, so it would have been an original idea). I think opening up a doorway to Hell would create much more interesting possibilites than exceptionally physically slow zombies chasing exceptionally mentally slow doctors around a nearby hospital. But as I've seen more Fulci films, I realize that many of my bitches about the film (long death scenes, etc), are just basic "Fulci-isms", and that those parts were intentional, and the good parts of The Beyond were accidental.

I didn't take the comments directed at me (too) personally, nor do I believe that my replies to other people here are personal attacks. We're having a fun discussion about Fulci. I anxiously wait to see how the Fulci fans react to my criticisms...

Zombie Keeper
04-25-2001, 06:56 PM
Paff, I'm a bit surprised you liked The New York Ripper. While I own and like it, I found it to be one of his less appealing films.

I always tell people, if you're not a fan of Fulci's zombie horror, give his giallo a shot, specifically Don't Torture a Duckiling.

Rene
05-01-2001, 03:38 PM
Oops, I see this here a bit late. Well, I would also suggest to not miss this Fulci movie. Of course you have to be a friend of that kind of Eurohorror movie to enjoy it. To me it was also one of the first Fulciīs I saw, actually it was a 75 minutes version I rented 10 years ago, after watching this (very incomplete) thing I thought it was sooo bad that I must have it, just for fun. People told me that there once was a "better" version, later an Import tape cleared me up what I had missed and the movie suddenly turned into something "new" and much better. No question that I wanted it on DVD then, reading there is a release with many extras I picked up the AB disc last year. Itīs a nice DVD (in a tin box or not), the movie is good and the Extras are just one reason more to buy it. I only wasnīt so happy with the what I called "cropped" picture (mentioned in an earlier post, sorry that I always find something to complain about, I just look too deep into details sometimes), check this <a href="http://www.geocities.com/dvdrenato/">Link</a> if you really want to know what I mean, or donīt check if you think that could spoil the fun. The AB disc is still good and will make enough people happy anyway ;)

David666
05-02-2001, 12:35 AM
Zombie was my introduction to Fulci, or so I thought when I first began getting into Eurohorror films. I'd actually seen Manhattan Baby as a young lad in third grade, but hadn't recalled the title. In fact, I thought it was "The Manitu" or something like that. What a memory! I was terrified of seagulls for the longest time. Perhaps it is the real root of my love of weird-ass, fantasy oriented horror films. And there just arn't enough of them, damnit!

After Zombie, which I think is his best film, I couldn't get enough of this genre. I saw everything with Fulci's name on it. For me, his least films are New York Ripper and Don't Torture a Duckling. 7 Doors of Death would become a fave, and thankfully it was released onto DVD in glorious widescreeen as The Beyond. Although I must admit, I think that the lead actor's joke in the elevator invloving the absurd loading of a gun should not have been included in the final cut of the film, it is still wildly enjoyable. I am very happy with my tin. Now I certainly have not seen all of his films, but I most assuridly plan on getting them all for my DVD collection. Perhaps even New York Ripper if I find it in a bargain bin.

Paff
05-30-2001, 06:29 PM
I wanted to resurrect this thread. As anyone can tell by reading my several posts in this thread, I make no effort to hide my disdain of the work of Lucio Fulci. But I also wanted to mention that I go into each movie "fresh", in that I don't expect to automatically hate the movie the moment I see "Directed by Lucio Fulci".

The reason I bring all this up, is that over the weekend I watched Don't Torture a Duckling. And as a confirmed Fulci-hater, I have to say I found this film VERY enjoyable!
Like I may have mentioned earlier, I find Fulci infinitely more tolerable when he's bound by the "rules" of the Giallo genre, and this is no exception. All the Giallo trademarks are there, like the usual red herrings until the real killer is found. And when we do find the real killer, we get an interesting look into his/her psyche, so it's not just a random motive. On top of that, the entire film serves to that end (in this case the fearful, isolated, religious hang-ups of the small town), so you get the feeling of ONE film, rather than the strung-together vignettes that are so prevalent in Fulci's other movies. OK, there's definitely a Fulci-ism in the vigilante murder sequence, but it only happens once, and Fulci has a right to put his signature on the film.

No, I'm not rushing out to buy The Beyond, City of the Living Dead, or Zombie, but I wouldn't be surprised if Duckling one day makes a permanent appearance in my collection.

Peter Vincent
12-03-2001, 10:38 PM
....I just got through reading this ENTIRE thread & it was very informative & enlightening! Yet....I'm still "ify" on whether I should buy The Beyond: LE Tin & have to go back to the title of this thread (in a way). A recent opportunity arose at my local Best Buy as they have several copies & this Friday I can pick it up for $13 (gots me a coupon I wanna use ;) ).

Let me just let U guys know I bought the Diamond release of Seven Doors Of Death for $5, but haven't gotten around to watching it yet (shame on me :( ), I'm a big quality freak & this looks like the version to buy!

Now my questions for those of U that know this movie...

1. Is it worth it to buy this movie again???
2. Is there added film content to the LE Tin version compared to the Diamond release??? (Director's Cut???)
3. What other extras can I look forward to (booklets & the like)??? Does that alone warrant the purchase???
4. Should I watch my Diamond Seven Doors..., or should I wait to watch The Beyond Tin for better N-joyment??? (if I buy it)

I got until this Friday to decide (I hid a copy in the furniture section of BB...#7175...nice number :) ) so let me know what I should do!!!! I value youse guys opinions!

Andrew
12-03-2001, 11:54 PM
Shit man, this is one old dawg! (the post I mean)

Anyway, I'd say buy the tin but keep it sealed. Watched Seven Doors of Death, and if you like it, keep the Beyond tin. If you don't like it, just take it back and get your money back.

I've never seen the Diamond SDOD version, but I love The Beyond. I only have the keepcase, but I'm pretty sure the only extra "goody" on the tin is the booklet (which I hear is pretty sweet). The DVD comes with a shit load of extras anyway.

BUY IT!

Darkness Fear
12-04-2001, 01:15 AM
all yall had to say is that the movie is worth buying...

Donuthole75
12-04-2001, 04:14 AM
I watched House by the Cemetary and didn't like it. I watched Zombie and didn't like it. I watched The Beyond and liked it. Buy the DVD, it's a quality film with just a few embarrasing moments. Still fun though.

KillerQ
12-04-2001, 04:18 AM
The tin is $14.99 at best buy now!

Nightbreed
12-04-2001, 07:03 AM
yeah first i purchased seven doors of death and i loved it and when i saw it at best buy for only 14.99 i had to pic kup the LE tin the booklet is entertaining... also all the movie poster minatures it came with and the quaility on the tin is 100% better than diamonds but for 6.99 ya cant go wrong on the seven doors of death.

Peter Vincent
12-04-2001, 02:45 PM
My tastes on Fulci differ with every film!

I didn't like Zombie, but I LOVED House By The Cemetary! What the heck...I'll buy it come Friday! #7175 of The Beyond is mine!!! :)

meshuga
12-05-2001, 05:20 AM
This if Fulci's best film in my opinion and the LE TIN is even better!!

Jason25
12-05-2001, 06:19 PM
I know this has been brought up many times before, but for the low price this tin has been going for, 14.99 at Best Buy, it is a steal. Grindhouse did a fantastic job with this and it is also a great film, gotta love that ending too!

Andrew
12-05-2001, 09:58 PM
Okay...mine has 20 Repo Man tins, 0 Beyond tins.

ARGH! :mad:

Jason25
12-06-2001, 01:02 AM
Andy - If you want a tin, let me know, I'll send you one, just promise to pay me after you get it :D

Andrew
12-06-2001, 03:32 AM
Haha I have to pay??? Fuck that! ;)

Just kiddin', I love the movie but I really can't afford to dish out $15 for a booklet and a tin that will send my friends and family up a wall.

Awesome movie though.

skinnypuppy6
12-06-2001, 04:01 AM
but andy it has poster and lobby card replicas too!

Jason25
12-06-2001, 09:07 AM
That's cool Andy - I was just looking out for you, thought I'd get you something that you were having trouble finding. No biggie.

Andrew
12-06-2001, 10:23 PM
Yeah man, thanks, I appreciate the offer.

BTW - Euro chat tonite? Or no?

Jason25
12-07-2001, 12:08 AM
Hell yes!

Andrew
12-07-2001, 12:29 AM
WOOO!!! :D